Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Championship 2013 Draw & Gossip

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

I've rewinded through the "obscene gesture" thing and you can't see anything on the camera angles shown. I would doubt Michaela Tabb would even think of mentioning it to him if she wasn't sure of what she seen but I'm still not entirely convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Did Ronnie qualify for the tournament by virtue of his ranking or because he's defending champion?

If the defending champs gets automatic qualification then you could see Ronnie doing the same thing again next season, i.e taking the year off and showing up for the WC, provided he wins this one of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Was there somebody there with a remote controlled fart machine playing it over Judd Trump shots ? Awful carry on:mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Did Ronnie qualify for the tournament by virtue of his ranking or because he's defending champion?

It's because he was defending champion, so automatically seeded no. 1 even though he's world 28 or 29 at the moment.

It was a bit of a bummer for Mark Davis though as he ranked as number 16 but had to play a tough qualifier match to get there and play Higgins in the first round instead of a qualifier.
    seanhynes wrote: »
    Was there somebody there with a remote controlled fart machine playing it over Judd Trump shots ? Awful carry on:mad:

That's the word alright, terrible to see if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If the defending champs gets automatic qualification then you could see Ronnie doing the same thing again next season, i.e taking the year off and showing up for the WC, provided he wins this one of course.

That might really piss off other snooker pro's though.

Regarding Ronnie, I find him somewhat inspirational. Ok, his actions have been far from perfect at times but to struggle with depression as he has and to still be able to play a game that requires such intense focus and concentration for several hours day in day out has to be taken into consideration. People can talk about natural talent all they want but to retain that focus and concentration requires a phenomenal amount of effort. The first thing depression usually deprives people of is motivation and effort. Couple that with the mental effort snooker requires and his achievements in the game are truly remarkable. They were remarkable anyway but his personal life just puts them on a whole other level.
    It's noticeable too that in the last few years he has a better handle on it too.
    I think the comments accusing of him having an easy life that he gets in public sometimes are incredibly harsh. He may be rich but his life has been anything but easy.

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    That might really piss off other snooker pro's though.

Regarding Ronnie, I find him somewhat inspirational. Ok, his actions have been far from perfect at times but to struggle with depression as he has and to still be able to play a game that requires such intense focus and concentration for several hours day in day out has to be taken into consideration. People can talk about natural talent all they want but to retain that focus and concentration requires a phenomenal amount of effort. The first thing depression usually deprives people of is motivation and effort. Couple that with the mental effort snooker requires and his achievements in the game are truly remarkable. They were remarkable anyway but his personal life just puts them on a whole other level.
    It's noticeable too that in the last few years he has a better handle on it too.
    I think the comments accusing of him having an easy life that he gets in public sometimes are incredibly harsh. He may be rich but his life has been anything but easy.

Agreed. It's hard to imagine how he achieved what he has while battling depression at the same time. I suppose it goes to show just how much natural talent he has that he could be a champion in spite of his troubles. 4 world titles isn't enough for someone so great. I love the guy anyway, I don't know if I'd have watched it at all this year if he wasn't playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Agreed. It's hard to imagine how he achieved what he has while battling depression at the same time. I suppose it goes to show just how much natural talent he has that he could be a champion in spite of his troubles. 4 world titles isn't enough for someone so great. I love the guy anyway, I don't know if I'd have watched it at all this year if he wasn't playing.

Love him or hate him he is going to be a big loss when gone. The likes of the grandfather asking me to ring him when he is playing. The father who is not into sport hasn't missed a session from Ronnie. Friends who don't have much interest in Snooker asking am i going out tonight to watch it. He is a joy to watch and he is an interesting character. People are trying to build up Trump to be the next great entertainer i just don't see it. He may piss off other players but that's what makes him interesting. I have no doubt his comments the other day got people to tune in to watch him.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TheHopeful

Trump always hits them very hard, not just in this match.

Such a pity he couldn't have taken that last frame. At 13-11 I'd have still given him an outside chance, but just cant see him going 7-0 7-1 or 7-2 with Ronnie. Trump has really impressed me, especially with his safety, and fighting spirit, but silly mistakes have cost him. Not clearing up a routine yellow to black, and the time he hit the yellow with his hand and then Ronnie made a break in the 60s from that shot, just 2 of the major ones that spring to mind.

Also such a pity that one of the bigger players i.e. Robertson, Selby, Ding didn't come through the other half of the draw. The final is going to be a non-event and im not excited about it at all. Ronnie v Trump is the real final and has been a fantastic match to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

As others have said Michaela is a very experienced referee. I don't think she would have said anything unless she thought it was justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbTQPVN8oXU

At 14.36,Looks like he was cleaning his cue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommay

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbTQPVN8oXU

At 14.36,Looks like he was cleaning his cue

Didn't look like anything other than shaking his cue, hardly obscene.

You could tell it affected him by the shot he took right after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭BQQ

Tommay wrote: »
    Didn't look like anything other than shaking his cue, hardly obscene.

You could tell it affected him by the shot he took right after.

Let's face it.
    He has form for that sort of sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Whoever wins the Hawkins-Walden match is going to be annihilated by Ronnie in the final. If Trump somehow wins that one, they may merely be crushed by Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Whoever wins the Hawkins-Walden match is going to be annihilated by Ronnie in the final. If Trump somehow wins that one, they may merely be crushed by Trump.

I really wish this was rubbish because I really want a competitive final as we have not had one for yonks, but yep don't fancy Walden and especially hawkins in the final.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommay

Only hope for a half way exciting final is for Trump to scrape through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Pity Trump vs Ronnie wasn't the final.

Can't see Walden or Hawkins being competitive at all in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

It's a shame we are all thinking the same..

Great for the guys to get this stage, but they are just no contest to what is waiting for them.

It's not great again this morning. Messy stuff.. there's an awful lot of empty seats in the crucible too isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

seen a few twelve year olds down the club last weel, about the same standard as the 2nd semi final. shocking.

great press conference from the rocket, says the ex is "f'ucking him over every five minutes"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Interesting piece on Judd there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Jaysus, what an atmosphere!

• Advertisement

"Where's the cue ball going!!!!???"

Good aul JV :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

get home from town, go to throw on the Snooker and the feckin sky box freezes. Grrrr.

Come on Judd!

SarahBM wrote: »
    get home from town, go to throw on the Snooker and the feckin sky box freezes. Grrrr.

Come on Judd!

Would be fantastic if he comes back but I really cant see it. Ronnie is just too good :( final is gonna be ****

They keep saying this was one of the best matches ever. I thought neither player played as well as the can at all.

Ronnie through 17-11 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Judd missed that! Ronnie grabbed the red after he missed it and threw it in the pocket!!!! Why on earth did he shake hands???? If he told the ref he wanted to play on surely it meant Ronnie had fouled out and technically conceded the frame no? in the manner in which he deliberately fouled the ball??? Or what's the rule?

Im absolutely gutted for Trump. O'Sullivan and Trump should have been the final.

I hate to say it but the final is going to be a walk over. When it comes to break building, Ronnie will destroy either Walden or Hawkins.

ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

John.Icy wrote: »
    Judd missed that! Ronnie grabbed the red after he missed it and threw it in the pocket!!!! Why on earth did he shake hands???? If he told the ref he wanted to play on surely it meant Ronnie had fouled out and technically conceded the frame no? in the manner in which he deliberately fouled the ball??? Or what's the rule?

Might be wrong but I think Judd had already conceded the frame before that happened?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Jernal wrote: »
    Might be wrong but I think Judd had already conceded the frame before that happened?

He did !

• Advertisement

Im open to correction here, but does anyone else feel Judd was a bit unlucky with kicks and some shots. Ronnie just seemed to have all the luck. and in fairness to Ronnie when he got chances he took them.

Advertisement