Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Date Nerves

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Whats this 3 days wait thing?
    Why?

Just go home and call her the next day if you like her. If she likes you then she will be happy you called. Simples.

I did and have been happily married for 15 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Kichote wrote: »
    I hate this codology. Trying to find the perfect time to send the text, not waiting too long while not appearing to be clingy. Not having a go because some girls do think like that "oh he text me straight away, must be a desperate stalker" but really none of this sh*t should be necessary

If I liked the guy, I would never think that way (wouldn't think it anyway...). If you waited, I'd know you were playing a game or weren't that interested, which wold turn me off. Text her this afternoon. Chicks dig a man with some balls ho put themselves out there.

Well done btw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Shamozzle wrote: »
    Actually forgot all about this thread.

It went well enough, we met up at 8 and we were out of the cinema around ten. We chatted in the car for a bit then I left. She seemed really nice and she was very easy to talk to which thankfully meant there was no awkwardness at all which I was dreading. She is even better looking in person too. We didn't arrange to meet up again but I think we will once we text again. All in all it was an enjoyable night, much better than hooking up with some randomer on a drunken night out.

Oh and I got the shift. :D

So the sky didn't fall in because you went to the cinema on your first date.
    Who would have thunk it.............. :P
    Oblivion. Awful shite.

Just think how much better you must have seemed compared to it.
    Fair play, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I went on a few dates with a girl I met (mostly) online. Apparently we chatted while I was plastered in The Mezz in town and she added me on Facebook. But the first interaction with her I recall is her adding me on Facebook. Anyway. I was like 18 I think.

On the bus to work one day. Check phone. Someone added me. She starts a chat right away. Hmm.

I thought 'grand, this'll keep me busy in work' so I chatted away to her. She seemed dead nice and the conversation was interesting. We exchanged numbers and got texting for a few days.

Eventually we decided to meet up. We did. It was awkward as all feck!!! She was nice looking though which was a relief. Naturally I decided we needed something of substance to talk about so mentioned possible plans for the afternoon we were going to share.

Of course I had planned sweet **** all and was winging it. It rapidly dawned on me how much of a bad idea this was when all I could manage was a "um..ehh...ahhh....ha....watcha wanna dooo?" *Facepalm*.

Pre-date I had imagined I'd swagger up and instantly become James Dean or something....:rolleyes: :o

The Bus or LUAS conundrum was good for around 15 seconds of discussion. :( We went LUAS. I paid for her fare. ;)

One of the bastarding flaws of the LUAS is how quiet it is. And the fact that your conversation is audible to everyone listening in. I think it was obvious we were on a first date by the perked up ears of everyone else. I felt like I was on trial here.

I still hadnt a notion of how I was going to entertain this lady for the afternoon. The LUAS had just been extended to the Point not long before so I cunningly drew the distinction between a LUAS to Connolly or the Point. :D I'm sure by now you're getting an idea of the kind of conversational table tennis we were playing here.

This little gem however reminded me that the big Dublin Wheel or whatever it was called was down by the Point at the time!!!!! YYYEESSS!!! She seemed enthusiastic about the idea. On a roll, so I was. :cool:

Anyone that went on the wheel thing while it was here knows the capsules are tiny little things. You have to sit down in them while some background commentary drones on about the sites you're seeing from the different levels.

IT GOES AROUND THREE TIMES AND LASTS 15 MINUTES. Seconds have never ticked by so fcuking slow. I could have caught a fly with my hand time had slowed so much. It also became very obvious that this was a terrible idea because there's nothing on the Dublin skyline worth mentioning as we were both Dubs who had lived here our whole lives. Sigh.

Every time the wheel stops to allow you to take in the sights the little capsule properly rocks side to side for around 20 seconds. The sheer silence between the two of us allowed by mind to drift elsewhere. The rocking back and forth brought forth funny situational humour in my mind and I giggled. Only there was nothing obvious to giggle about except the rocking back and forth of a capsule with two people in it. She clocked this. At that moment I wished for the thing to detach and send me plummeting into the Liffy.

Anyways. Here we were rocking away, on about the second turn of this boring wheel. I decided sure feck it, might as well decide to try and get the shift of this wan I'd only met an hour earlier and had barely spoken too. Dunno how that worked. But it did. Thanks, Jesus.

The smooching kind of took up the rest of the ride. I think we both wanted to just pass the time really. Twas a nice aul game of tongue twisting though. Got kind of heated for some odd reason. A boner had amassed in my jeans. The ride finished and I had to dismount and walk like I had a wooden leg :pac:

To hide this I went into conversation overdrive. This succeeded (I hope) in having her break eye contact with me and notice. The shifting had actually demolished the awkwardness between us and we had a right laugh for the rest of the afternoon. We ended up in The Porterhouse a fair few hours later having drinks and food.

So my life advise which I took from this (my first ever real date, and only one so far) is, when things are going so horribly bad you want to die and its totally awkward, go in for the shift.

On the second date she mentioned how much she believed in god and it kind of became apparent that not only did she believe in no sex before marriage, but she was also needy as fcuk (texting constantly etc..), asking me about what 'we' were going to be when I started college (I think she expected me to join the Orgy society or something).

So I ended it as gently as I could only to have her sister ring me and call me a ****. I had never met or spoken to her sister before this. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

haha, entertaining story Dean thanks XD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

And Dean wins the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Shamozzle

Brilliant Dean. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Dean0088 wrote: »
    So my life advise which I took from this (my first ever real date, and only one so far) is, when things are going so horribly bad you want to die and its totally awkward, go in for the shift.
    QUOTE]

This could actually be the most useful piece of advice I have ever read. Thank you sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Dean0088 wrote: »
    QUOTE]

This could actually be the most useful piece of advice I have ever read. Thank you sir.

It's basically the dating equivalent of having kids to save a marriage...and we know that always ends well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ConstantLove

I don't see any problem here. I think everything is OK and you have to calm down and enjoy. If you have some fears that this might not work out at least you will have some experience :)

• Advertisement

I don't see any problem here. I think everything is OK and you have to calm down and enjoy. If you have some fears that this might not work out at least you will have some experience :)

Sound like he did grand.

Although I've heard online dating is like catching tadpoles with a teaspoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭amacca

You never go to the cinema on a first date!!!

oh you, always with the negativity and problems...never with the solutions.

go on, ideally where should one go on a first date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

amacca wrote: »
    oh you, always with the negativity and problems...never with the solutions.

go on, ideally where should one go on a first date?

I'm not negative! you go to a pub or for a coffee so you can chat and get to know each other.

I just think the cinema is a terrible first date, and I'm clearly not alone in that!

I'm not negative! you go to a pub or for a coffee so you can chat and get to know each other.

I just think the cinema is a terrible first date, and I'm clearly not alone in that!

+1 on this

Robert De Nero once took a lady to a cinema and she was not impressed! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

OP did you text her today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'd agree with ya. It might work for some but a first date, IMO, should be about getting to know the other person, that's difficult to do while watching a movie

Thanks, I actually wanted to know so I lobbed in some motivational put downs in there:pac:

now for phase two: once the coffee and chat etc has been had when should one lob the gob (so to speak)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Shamozzle

OP did you text her today?
    Yes, she actually texted me first. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

Yes, she actually texted me first. :eek:

very good sign, well done! haha sounds like shes making all the moves on you to be honest

amacca wrote: »
    Thanks, I actually wanted to know so I lobbed in some motivational put downs in there:pac:

now for phase two: once the coffee and chat etc has been had when should one lob the gob (so to speak)

When she's tasty drunk and looking a bit horny ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Our resident agony aunt is now available to answer all you relationship queries. :p

I only have partial success with that technique.....I tend to think all my dates look a bit horny

I'm a hopeless date optimist and a serial wishful thinker.

Our resident agony aunt is now available to answer all you relationship queries. :p

As you can see I'm very professional...all your dates will be sliding off their seats if you follow my advice :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

like.a.boss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 barbarasummers

Pug160 wrote: »
    I think anybody using the term beta needs to check themselves. I got caught up in the PUA nonsense myself - and while there is some decent advice - a lot of it is counterproductive jibberish, designed for mental masturbaters. Classing people as beta and alpha is just stupid.

And yes, I'm aware you may have been just joking, but I wanted a rant.

PUA? You are aware no one knows what that is? especially girls. I had to look it up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

PUA? You are aware no one knows what that is? especially girls. I had to look it up

You must be new to the internet (neg), let me introduce you around (DHV).

*Escalates kino*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Well, umm, I'm sorry. Do you want compensation?
    Seachmall wrote: »
    You must be new to the internet (neg), let me introduce you around (DHV).

*Escalates kino*

Ah, but where is your social proof? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

Pug160 wrote: »
    Well, umm, I'm sorry. Do you want compensation?

Ah, but where is your social proof? :p

Hey pug will ya join me for a bit of sarging some day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Kichote wrote: »
    Hey pug will ya join me for a bit of sarging some day?

I'm mostly passed all of that now. If I go out it's just to enjoy myself and whatever happens, happens.

Advertisement