Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Date Nerves

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Have a **** you don't want to go in there with a loaded gun .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

To hell with the cinema, take her to the zoo. There's penguins. Everyone loves penguins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Rose are red
    Violets are Blue
    I have a Knife
    Get in the Van

• Registered Users Posts: 16,383 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Shamozzle wrote: »
    I've been texting this girl for a few weeks now and I asked her earlier if she would like to go to the cinema on Sunday evening and she said she'd love to, great I thought but as Sunday edges closer I am getting increasingly nervous. I'm a shy guy by nature and have never really been on a proper date with a girl (not while sober anyway). To make matters worse I have never actually met this girl, we exchanged numbers on a dating site and have been texting every day ever since. We get on well and have a laugh, she's really easy to talk to and she's gorgeous too.

Don't really know why I started a thread about this but I guess I'm just looking for other people's experiences and advice. :o

Anyone would be nervous meeting for the first time, it's only natural and although personally I wouldn't go to the cinema on a first date that is what the two of you agreed on.

There will always be a bit of awkward silence on a first date as two people are getting to know each other but if both people find that they like each other then it doesn't matter too much.

I've been on dating sites on and off over the last few years and first dates have gone both ways for me, noone likes to be rejected but when it happens you move on and keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

If you are determined on going to the cinema, do the whole yawn/stretch/arm around her shoulder thing, but do it in a really obvious way. It'll get a cheap laugh and cheap laughs are the only way to shake off the initial nerves. Make sure to take your arm back though, don't leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,383 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If you are determined on going to the cinema, do the whole yawn/stretch/arm around her shoulder thing, but do it in a really obvious way. It'll get a cheap laugh and cheap laughs are the only way to shake off the initial nerves. Make sure to take your arm back though, don't leave it there.

Depends on the woman tbh, I've been on dates where it ends with a bit of tonsil hockey after the first meeting and other times there have been a few dates before even a kiss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Good luck, OP. We've all been there. If you click, you click. If you don't, NEXT!! Remember to enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

dont forget to stuff the package

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

shane9689 wrote: »
    dont forget to stuff the package

Speaking from experience are you? ;):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Surely it's only fair that some of AH accompany the OP on this date to ensure he doesn't screw it up?

• Advertisement

lend him an ear piece, we can feed him what to do next

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Chucken wrote: »
    The what now? :confused:

A new access on request forum, to do with online dating and all it entails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Always make sure to cup her tit "by mistake" in the dark.

The reaction will indicate whether or not you should bother wasting your money buying her coke and popcorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

orestes wrote: »
    To hell with the cinema, take her to the zoo. There's penguins. Everyone loves penguins.

yeah op she will love watching the chimps **** and fling their shit at you

might help get her in the mood...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Don't see the big deal about cinema on a first date tbh, go for a coffee after and talk about the movie to break the ice a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Ahh, so they're going to Cork?

bluewolf wrote: »
    Don't see the big deal about cinema on a first date tbh, go for a coffee after and talk about the movie to break the ice a bit

coffee first would make more sense, then the movie. that way, if things get akward you can just say "hey, lets head to the movie now?" and after you will have the movie to talk about and youll also be a little bit more used to talking to her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

shane9689 wrote: »
    coffee first would make more sense, then the movie. that way, if things get akward you can just say "hey, lets head to the movie now?" and after you will have the movie to talk about and youll also be a little bit more used to talking to her.

The movie isn't going to start earlier just because you're feeling awkward :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I would cancel the flicks for sure. Ok when your 15 and want to feel a boob, but I presume you are an adult and want a meaningful relationship.

Dinner for 2 or a drink in a nice bar . You need to calm yourself and pull every bit of confidence you have out of your gut. Woman generally like confident men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

if you take her the cinema, just make sure it has a happy ending.

maybe give her a pearl necklace too.

bluewolf wrote: »
    The movie isn't going to start earlier just because you're feeling awkward :)
    thats why you dont pick one before hand XD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Bring some lingerie with you , tell her its your favourite type and that you're wearing some now .

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

mattjack wrote: »
    Bring some lingerie with you , tell her its your favourite type and that you're wearing some now .

Have you ever had a "chat" with the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I think I'd find a cinema for a first date a bit awkward, long stretches of silence and that.
    Dinner is maybe a bit formal if you don't know each other that well.
    As someone else said, something you can do together that doesn't involve constant talking but interaction of another kind, like a funfair or a game of pool or bowling (well, not bowling, bowling sucks).
    Or go for a coffee and a walk somewhere nice

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Shamozzle

She actually suggested the cinema so that's what we're doing. Only 3 days to go. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

She actually suggested the cinema so that's what we're doing. Only 3 days to go. :eek:

I hope she hasn't found this thread so.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Don't forget to knock one off beforehand. You don't want to go in there with a loaded gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

The cinema is not a great choice but I'm not a fan of formal dates in general anyway. Far better to have a casual coffee and then set up a proper date after that if you both feel you like each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Stop worrying!!

What you going to see?

Advertisement