Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tblisi Cup. June 2013. "Emerging Ireland"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Costello is pretty highly-rated for his work at underage level and with the A team afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 1bluewombat

Richie Murphy is the backs coach... should encourage good running rugby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

SA President's XV squad named
    Props: Martin Dreyer (Leopards), Ivann Espag (Pumas), Vincent Koch (Pumas), Khwezilokusa Mkhafu (Border Bulldogs)
    Hookers: Ashton Constant (Boland Cavaliers), Frank Herne (Pumas)
    Locks: Marius Coetzer (Pumas), Giant Mtyanda (SWD Eagles), Brendon Snyman (Leopards)
    Back row: Renaldo Bothma (Pumas), Jaco Bouwer (Pumas), Uzair Cassiem (Pumas), Vincent Gwavu (Valke), Zandré Jordaan (Boland Cavaliers), Brian Shabangu (Border Bulldogs)
    Scrum halves: Ntando Kebe (Boland Cavaliers), Inus Kritzinger (Griffons), Sinovuyo Nyoka (Border Bulldogs)
    Fly halves: Carl Bezuidenhout (Pumas), Ricardo Croy (Boland Cavaliers)
    Centres: Adriaan Engelbrecht (Leopards), Wilmaure Louw (Pumas), Jerome Pretorius (Pumas)
    Wings: Alshaun Bock (SWD Eagles), Joe Seerane (Border Bulldogs)
    Full backs: Jacquin Jansen (Boland Cavaliers), Hoffman Maritz (Leopards), Rosco Speckman (Pumas)

Only 2 players with Super Rugby experience (Wilmaure Louw et Marius Coetzer)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I love that SA have a lock called Giant. Must have been 80cm at birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭croket

Hi all

Irish squad looks strong

About Georgian squad, team will play without some key players : Montpellier's skipper Mamuka Gorgodze (back row), tighthead prop Davit Zirakashvili (who started Heineken Cup final for Clermont) and Toulouse players Vasil Kakovin (loosehead prop) and Jaba Bregvadze (hooker).

Some young players are called : props Zvhania and Chilachava, lock Mikautadze and back row Bitsadze, born 1991; lock Lomidze born 1992, scrum half Khutsishvili, centre Sharikadze and wing Mchedlidze, born 1993 and wing Pruidze born 1994.

Also, full back Merab Kvirikashvili usually fly half, but plays full back for national team

Cheers ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I love that SA have a lock called Giant. Must have been 80cm at birth.

I'd say his mother resents him something fierce.

Buer wrote: »
    I'd say his mother resents him something fierce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubabalo_Mtyanda

Uruguay
    Props: Mario Sagario (RC Massy - 24 caps), Alejo Corral (San Isidro Club - 19 caps), Juan Rombys (Trébol - 16 caps), Rodolfo De Mula (PSG - 11 caps)
    Hookers: Arturo Avalo (Carrasco Polo - 13 caps), Nicolás Klappenbach (Champagnat - 21 caps)
    Locks: Mathias Palomeque (Trévol - 6 caps), Cristofer Soares de Lima (MVCC - 10 caps), Mateo Sanguinetti (Los Cuervos - 2 caps), Diego Magno (MVCC - 24 caps)
    Back row: Franco Lamanna (Carrasco Polo), Agustín Alonso (MVCC - 2 caps), Juan Gaminara (Old Boys - 5 caps), Fernando Bascou (PSG - 8 caps), Rodrigo Espiga (Old Christians - 1 cap)
    Scrum halves: Alejo Durán (Trébol - 8 caps)
    Fly halves: Rodrigo Silva (Carrasco Polo - 3 caps)
    Centres: Juan De Freitas (Champagnat - 15 caps), Joaquín Prada (Los Cuervos), Santiago Core (Old Boys), Alberto Román (PSG - 11 caps)
    Wings: Santiago Gibernau (Carrasco Polo - 12 caps), Leandro Leivas (Old Christians - 16 caps), Francisco Bulanti (Trébol - 13 caps)
    Full backs: Jerónimo Etcheverry (Valpolicella Rugby - 18 caps)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭McCBrian

Heard on the grapevine Michael Bradley is back involved with Georgia but not seen anything in the press

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

that lad chilachava is an espoir in toulon,classic georgian freak

• Advertisement

3 changes in the georgian squad :

Mikheil Nariashvili (prop, Montpellier) out / Anton Peikrishvili (Castres) in
    Shalva Mamukashvili (hooker, Army) out / Simon Maisuradze (Bagnères) in
    Beka Bitsadze (back row, Army) out / Vakhtang Maisuradze (Albi) in

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Many young Georgian players by French clubs so they can qualify as a 'French produced player, like Mikautadze and Chilachava at Toulon. It's worth noting that a player's 'French produced' status never changes, even if they are capped by another country (Georgia in this case).

Many young Georgian players by French clubs so they can qualify as a 'French produced player, like Mikautadze and Chilachava at Toulon. It's worth noting that a player's 'French produced' status never changes, even if they are capped by another country (Georgia in this case).

Absoluty, now french clubs signs U20 foreign players. They are often georgian prop or fijian winger.
    Never a georgian played for France, but in Ireland, there is a young georgian prop, called Saba Meunargia, from Connacht U20/Buccaners U21. He played for Ireland U18 and U19
    http://www.connachtrugby.ie/2013040283266/connachts-sean-obrien-to-captain-ireland-u-19s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

It's worth noting that a player's 'French produced' status never changes, even if they are capped by another country (Georgia in this case).

What do you mean?

Hagz wrote: »
    What do you mean?

In France, each club need to have 55% of 'French produced players' (= players who played at least 3 years in France before his 23 years)

So some clubs are signing promising U20 foreign players

Hagz wrote: »
    What do you mean?

A player of any nationality can become a JIFF player (basically a player that is developed by a French club) if they spend 3 years at a French club before they are 21. They can play for any national team and will still retain their JIFF status regardless. So Chilachava and Mikautadze can both be capped by Georgia, therefore ruling them out of ever playing for France, yet they are still considered JIFF.

This is a loophole that allows French clubs to search abroad for young players to get them to qualify as a JIFF, if there is a lack of young French talent available. Basically it's the Top14's form of a 'project player', the difference being that the player can play for any national side.

As croket says, 55% of a club's squad must be JIFF players. That percentage is supposed to increase over the next few seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

A player of any nationality can become a JIFF player (basically a player that is developed by a French club) if they spend 3 years at a French club before they are 21. They can play for any national team and will still retain their JIFF status regardless. So Chilachava and Mikautadze can both be capped by Georgia, therefore ruling them out of ever playing for France, yet they are still considered JIFF.

This is a loophole that allows French clubs to search abroad for young players to get them to qualify as a JIFF, if there is a lack of young French talent available. Basically it's the Top14's form of a 'project player', the difference being that the player can play for any national side.

As croket says, 55% of a club's squad must be JIFF players. That percentage is supposed to increase over the next few seasons.

How do Toulon get away with that?Do they have a load of French/French-produced players that they just don't use?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

Can you not also become a JIFF player if you join an academy (Centre du Formation in France) before your 21st birthday and you stay there for 3 seasons i.e. you finish the academy programme you reach your 24th birthday?

Swan Curry wrote: »
    How do Toulon get away with that?Do they have a load of French/French-produced players that they just don't use?

They don't have many JIFF players they don't use. You see both Armitage brothers are JIFFs, so they are pretty valuable to have. Two young French players in Gunther and Martin got 14 and 16 starts respectively in the Top14 this year.
    Can you not also become a JIFF player if you join an academy (Centre du Formation in France) before your 21st birthday and you stay there for 3 seasons i.e. you finish the academy programme you reach your 24th birthday?

I'm fairly sure I'm right in saying that you have to complete the 3 years before your 21st birthday, although I might be wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Former Coach

Niall Annett selected to replace Sean Cronin in Emerging squad. Good choice-was very good with U20's a few years back. A good leader too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Former Coach

Just spotted this: All the tournament matches will be broadcasted live on TV9 and streamed live on their website (http://www.tv9.ge/)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 33theman33

Could anyone tell me who's on the coaching ticket for this squad, I see Ian Costello mentioned a couple of pages back but couldn't find anything on the IRFU site.

Also any idea where the Irish team are holding their training camp prior to heading to Tblisi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

33theman33 wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me who's on the coaching ticket for this squad, I see Ian Costello mentioned a couple of pages back but couldn't find anything on the IRFU site.

Also any idea where the Irish team are holding their training camp prior to heading to Tblisi.
    Allen Clarke is the head coach with Costello assistant coach
    No idea where theyre holding a training camp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Tom Sexton ‏@tomsexton02 3 Jun
    Good luck in #Georgia lads keep in touch @JCooney09 @JordiMurphy1 @nreid90 @brendan_macken

Noel Reid seems to have been called up to the Emerging Ireland squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yeah, Cathal Marsh is injured and had to stay home. Reid has gone in his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

Buer wrote: »
    Yeah, Cathal Marsh is injured and had to stay home. Reid has gone in his place.

very annoying wont get to see marsh at that level

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

That's disappointing for Marsh. Interesting that it's Reid called up. I would have thought Hanrahan might have been next in line as a 10/12 replacement. Reid might well go into the starting lineup at 12 now. Macken & Griffen are the other main centres in the squad but both are 13's. Michael Allen can play centre as well but I thought he'd be on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Beery Eyed wrote: »
    That's disappointing for Marsh. Interesting that it's Reid called up. I would have thought Hanrahan might have been next in line as a 10/12 replacement. Reid might well go into the starting lineup at 12 now. Macken & Griffen are the other main centres in the squad but both are 13's. Michael Allen can play centre as well but I thought he'd be on the wing.

Isn't it thought that Marsh was only there as a replacement for Hanrahan in the first place?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Beery Eyed wrote: »
    If you look at the published squad its alphabetical except for Marsh. Marsh is where Hanrahan would be alphabetically. Rumours say that Hanrahan was pulled by Munster. Probably they have a plan for him to do a lot of work in the gym over the offseason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

From www.rugbyrefined.com

BROADCASTING

All the tournament matches will be broadcasted live on TV9 and streamed live on their website (http://www.tv9.ge/)

and www.irb.com (as well as IRB’s official YouTube platform).

Advertisement