Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tblisi Cup. June 2013. "Emerging Ireland"

Options
  • 09-04-2013 7:50pm
    Subscribers Posts: 41,107 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/mediazone/pressrelease/newsid=2066239.html

Ireland set to send an "Emerging Ireland" team to compete in this new cup for second tier nations.
    IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset said: "This exciting addition of the IRB Tbilisi Cup to the international match schedule is great news for Georgia and Uruguay, who are both striving for Rugby World Cup 2015 qualification.”

“The addition of Emerging Ireland and the South Africa President's XV ensures a high-calibre competition that will deliver compelling matches, while also fulfilling the high performance needs of our Unions.”

“Georgians love Rugby and I am sure the event will be a huge success for the popularity and profile of Georgian Rugby, the participating Unions and the development of the Game worldwide.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

What sort of player would be an emerging Ireland player?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

durkadurka wrote: »

John Hayes :)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,107 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

according to irishrugby on facebook it will be whos left after the U20s at the championships and the tour in america.
    So a mix of available wolfhounds and AIL players.

Im interested to see the coaching ticket....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

sydthebeat wrote: »
    according to irishrugby on facebook it will be whos left after the U20s at the championships and the tour in america.
    So a mix of available wolfhounds and AIL players.

Im interested to see the coaching ticket....
    I doubt there will be anyone from the AIL, everyone will be contracted

Could see a team along the lines of

Black Varley Bent Nagle Marshall Ruddock Ryan McKeown
    Heaney Keatley TOH Hanrahan EOM Morris Jones
    JHW McGrath Moore MKearney Murphy Cooney Allen Conway

Could Elwood take the tour, he has been involved with the last couple of WH games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Slightly off topic, except for the use of the word "Emerging".

In 1995, the Rugby League World Cup was held in England. At the same time, they also had another competition called the Emerging Nations World Cup. Ireland was defined as an emerging nation, and we were beaten in the final by The Cook Islands.

I know, because I was there. My brother was on the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It would have been better if they had sent a Presidents XV and played Michael D. Higgins at 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,177 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It will be a mix of professionally contracted players who aren't involved in normal tour duty during the summer (or are being rested from same for whatever reason). So think players down the depth charts at the Provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

What criteria would need to be satisfied to be allowed to play for an 'Emerging Ireland' side? It seems to be a different concept to an 'A' side like the Wolfhounds. On that basis would it necessarily be a requirement to be fully IQd to play for this team or could a project player or two such as Nathan White be called in to help them towards 'emerging' to become a regular with the seniors?

There would seem to be more use to bringing a few project players than a group made up of provincial reserves that are unlikely to ever emerge into any higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,177 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I wouldn't get too hung up on the name of it tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

You're the voice of reason!

I have to say I like the idea of this tournament. There's also the tournament between SA, Italy, Samoa and Scotland this summer and the increased participation of Tier 2 countries in the Autumn games. The IRB seems to be taking expansion and improvement of international rugby seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

The irony is that the team SA are sending will probably be what I believe are usually called the Emerging Springboks so why haven't they stuck with that name?

But yes the name hardly matters.

I just hope this comp gets some coverage.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It would have been better if they had sent a Presidents XV and played Michael D. Higgins at 9.

These guys could do some damage

1 Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov
    2 Angela Merkel
    3 Kim Jong Un
    4 Helmut Kohl
    5 Abraham Lincoln
    6 Nicolas Maduro
    7 Dilma Rousseff
    8 Yayi Boni
    9 Nicolas Sarkozy
    10 Laura Chinchilla
    11 Barack Obama
    12 Vladimir Putin
    13 Hamid Karzai
    14 Aníbal Cavaco Silva
    15 Ian Khama

Victor Yanukovich
    Michael D. Higgins
    Joyce Banda
    Ilham Aliyev
    Ivo Josipovic
    Girma Wolde-Giorgis

Angela Merkel at Hooker is a beautiful touch

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Coleridge

Given the Lions tour, North America tour and under 20s, this is an ‘Ireland’ squad too far for a country with our playing resources.

We would really be scraping the barrel in terms of who is available.

Could be badly exposed upfront by a massive Georgian pack and no doubt a fairly formidable set of SA forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Kim Jong Un is far too small to play TH.

That's not a sentence I thought I would ever write.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Although not strictly a president, I always felt Churchill belonged somewhere in the front row.

Robbo wrote: »
    Although not strictly a president, I always felt Churchill belonged somewhere in the front row.

Nah mate, he's definitely the mouthy 9 that never shuts up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Teferi wrote: »
    Kim Jong Un is far too small to play TH.

He originally played in all 15 positions but I scaled him back

The idea of the tournament being that its teams on level enough footing. We're not sending the first XV in to rout Georgia.

They want competitive games.

Fielding a team of players like this (consider the Lions, U20s and USA tour) wouldn't be so bad.
    I've given two options in most positions in case players get bumped up the ladder to cover for injuries in the Lions / States.

1. Jack McGrath / Denis Buckley (Healy @ Lions, Court & Kilcyone in the States)
    2. Varley / JHW (Best @ Lions, Strauss, Cronin and Sherry in the States)
    3. Hagan / Bent (Ross, Archer, Fitzpatrick in the States)
    4. Flanagan / Stevenson (POC @ Lions, Ryan on standby. Tuohy, DOC, Toner, Henderson in States)
    5. Nagle / Holland
    6. Murphy / Ruddock (Ferris broke, POM & McLaughlin in the States)
    7. Ryan / Faloon (SOB @ Lions, Henry in the States)
    8. O'Donnell / McKeown (Heaslip @ Lions, Coughlin in the States)
    9. Marmion / Cooney (Murray on Standby, Marshall & Boss in the States)
    10. Keatley / JJ Hanrahan (Sexton @ Lions, Jackson & Madigan in the States)
    11. Allen / LOD (Zebo on Standby, Earls & in the States)
    12. McSharry / JJ (D'Arcy and Downey in the States - Marshall broken)
    13. Griffin / Nelson (BOD @ Lions, Earls & Cave in the States)
    14. O'Halloran / Conway (McFadden and Trimble in the States)
    15. Andrew / Conway (Kearney @ Lions, Henshaw & Jones in the States)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I'd say emmet's team is the closest so far, think we'll see something very similar start. Maybe EOM /Macken in at 13 too. Good for guys like Jordi Murphy to be rewarded for their form when they wouldn't otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

Coleridge wrote: »
    Given the Lions tour, North America tour and under 20s, this is an ‘Ireland’ squad too far for a country with our playing resources.

We would really be scraping the barrel in terms of who is available.

Could be badly exposed upfront by a massive Georgian pack and no doubt a fairly formidable set of SA forwards.

I have to disagree, even with our participation in the aforementioned tours, we could still field an Emerging Ireland starting 15 that have all played HEC rugby for their provinces this season.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

In the only game of rugby he played, he also bagged 5 drop goals from 70 yards and covered both sides of the scrum at once. He took to it like his ould fella took to golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

He is well above international standard. =P

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    He is well above international standard. =P

He is Kim Jong Un standard.

What about Moore. This would be a great oppourtunity to start bringing him trough.

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    What about Moore. This would be a great oppourtunity to start bringing him trough.

picked 2 IQ Tight Heads ahead of him that are starting ahead of him at their province.

No rush on Marty, he's gonna get there. Throwing him in against the Georgian scrummagers might be a step too far.

Slow steady steps for the TH props imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

picked 2 IQ Tight Heads ahead of him that are starting ahead of him at their province.

No rush on Marty, he's gonna get there. Throwing him in against the Georgian scrummagers might be a step too far.

I'd give Ross the summer off, assume Fitzpatrick to be broken have Archer and Hagan in the states with Loughney covering both sides as the 5th prop to travel.

Then Bent with either Lutton or Moore as the second TH for the Tblisi cup

Even though we are in a fair bit of trouble at TH. Aside from Ross none of the other props named, with the exception of Fitzpatrick (who's always injured) are good enough at the top level. The likes of Moore, Furlong etc look like they will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,849 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This proposal is nonsense, we do not need another representative XV side, Ireland 'Z' if you will

If 2nd tier European nations want to make progress, schedule them in to play 6 nations 'A' sides during the 6N window instead of hit and miss fixtures between the Saxons, Wolfhounds, Ireland A. Do France and Wales even field 'A' teams?

Any other few quid left after that should be put into men's Seven's, we are in a shameful position there.

Advertisement