Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being forced to use your "Irish" name at school

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The whole thread is utterly absurd. It's a piece of really bad parenting gone quasiviral on the internet. Had they picked the right school for their child in the first place it could never have happened. And now the parents want the shaggin internet to fix their mistake for them. :D

Actually It's more like a mechanic complaining that his job gets him covered in oil and wanting sympathy for that. The answer, yer a feckin mechanic ...learn hairdressing willya. :)

Frankly Bob if you have me on ignore which means that you have read neither the OP, NONE of my posts nor ANY of my follow up posts, then I have no idea how you feel you are qualified to comment. But here you are with your steel toe cap boots just ready to give a kicking. You are a disgrace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

How many more complexes could that poor neglected child develop as the parents rush off to start a Boards.ie thread about them instead of dealing with them head on I wonder. ???????

Awful to think of the constant suffering as the parents witter on the internet. Awful. :(

How many more complexes could that poor neglected child develop as the parents rush off to start a Boards.ie thread about them instead of dealing with them head on I wonder. ???????

Awful to think of the constant suffering as the parents witter on the internet. Awful. :(

I think it is clear why Sponge Bob has turned up on this thread.

Post reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I don't know how this got to 70 plus pages, well I do since over 50 percent of the thread is mads and his side kick Dan solo.

Its clear your daughter is an only child, she's possessive and always gets her own way.

The name change will be a good lesson to her that she should share her toys.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I don't know how this got to 70 plus pages, well I do since over 50 percent of the thread is mads and his side kick Dan solo.

Its clear your daughter is an only child, she's possessive and always gets her own way.

The name change will be a good lesson to her that she should share her toys.

What utter nonsense. Firstly she isn't an only child, and how you come up with her being possessive and spoilt from being irritated by something is beyond me? Perhaps Sponge Bob inspired you into personal attacks.

Next time she expresses irritation will I give her a good slap and lock her in the cellar to teach her to "share her toys"? :rolleyes:

Anyone else wanna get in a punch or two before the Principal arrives in the yard?

• Advertisement

MadsL wrote: »
    What utter nonsense. Firstly she isn't an only child, and how you come up with her being possessive and spoilt from being irritated by something is beyond me? Perhaps Sponge Bob inspired you into personal attacks.

Next time she expresses irritation will I give her a good slap and lock her in the cellar to teach her to "share her toys"? :rolleyes:

Anyone else wanna get in a punch or two before the Principal arrives in the yard?

I wasn't making a personal dig, I was just pointing out she displays a lot of only child syndrome or at least spoilt child who's siblings are either much older or younger.

By the way, just to counter this notion that is this is a standard policy. It is isn't, here is one school that doesn't do this.
    As Gaelscoil Naomh Pádraig is an Irish language school every child’s surname is translated to Irish and this is the name used at all times at school. The parents may decide which language version of the child’s first name is chosen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I wasn't making a personal dig, I was just pointing out she displays a lot of only child syndrome or at least spoilt child who's siblings are either much older or younger.

Because it annoys her when teachers REFUSE to call her by her actual name? My god, what a brat. The audacity of wanting to be called by your actual name. Beat that out of her fast. :rolleyes:

Because she gets slightly irritated at mispronunciation of her name. Are you for real????

:eek: Head exploded...

Tell me, are you a parent?

Because she gets slightly irritated at mispronunciation of her name. Are you for real????

:eek: Head exploded...

Tell me, are you a parent?

Well if something so little irritates her i can only assume a lot of things irritate her.

And I don't see how me being a parent has anything to do with anything.

• Advertisement

Well if something so little irritates her i can only assume a lot of things irritate her.

Her name is not 'little' it is her name, about as personal a thing as you can get. Why do you think schools make a big thing about name-calling as a form of bullying.

And assume you did alright, a big one, and an incorrect one.

I'm curious to see if you punish your kids for being irritated?

Wait till she reads this thread so. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Someone intentionally calling you an incorrect name is more than a little irritant. It's someone intentionally being rude and dismissive of you.

Wait till she reads this thread so. :D

That will be more than you have done.

Could someone quote that so Bob can see it...

Her name is not 'little' it is her name, about as personal a thing as you can get. Why do you think schools make a big thing about name-calling as a form of bullying.

And assume you did alright, a big one, and an incorrect one.

I'm curious to see if you punish your kids for being irritated?

Again kids get irritated if there aren't any cartoons on the Tele, some grow out of it, some dont.

I won't assume which category your daughter falls into.

Someone intentionally calling you an incorrect name is more than a little irritant. It's someone intentionally being rude and dismissive of you.

Yes but she knew it was going to happen before she went, or if not, in week one she could have got a parent to have a chat to the school about it.

Yes but she knew it was going to happen before she went, or if not, in week one she could have got a parent to have a chat to the school about it.

She chose not to make a fuss about it. We let her duke it out. Year 1 they tend to be strict on stuff and then relax things. Then she didn't say too much about it.

She mentioned it again recently. As I have said all along it is not a big deal to her, it is silly though when most teachers call her one thing and a couple of others are just ignorant about her wishes.

Can posters please understand the tiny scale of this instead of going off on some fantasy about this child having a strop everyday about it and being a spoilt madam.

Posting my daughters situation was intended to be the springboard for the general topic, NOT to be the topic. I don't know why that is hard to grasp.

A spring board for what?

As the gentleman that I am I'll respect your wishes not to got personal about your daughter.

But its simple,

If the parents don't want the name change they'll tell the school not to.

If the kid doesn't want the name change they'll tell the parents and the parents will decide.

So all those people here cryin about being called whatever, its the parents fault, same goes for you op.

So all those people here cryin about being called whatever, its the parents fault, same goes for you op.

Of course it is the parents fault and the child has been suffering for what....10 years now since they started in Infants in a Gaelscoil somewhere.

Meanswhile daddy is busy trying to get to his firsr 100 pager before the lock in After Hours instead of dealing with it whatever it is. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dollypet

Such a to do!!!! I went to a Gael scoil- My name is italian- Donna- the irish would be Mbán- "wife of" or in laymans- Mrs. It wasnt changed. I dont remember anyones name being changed. But then I was in a gael scoil in the 80's. Maybe they hadnt thought of it then.

I then went to a normal secondary- Where one ignorant teacher felt the need to call me Abby for the first half of the year I had her and for some unknown reason started calling me Claire for the 2nd.

It irritated me- But I got over it.

As for the larger issue is it right to change someones name to the irish. In my social circle we have a french guy. Changed his name to the irish as a measure of inclusion. He loved it. He took it as it was ment a measure of inclusion. You're one of us.

Take it as a bullying insult then thats what it is.

Take it as inclusion then thats what it is.

• Advertisement

dollypet wrote: »
    Such a to do!!!! I went to a Gael scoil- My name is italian- Donna- the irish would be Mbán- "wife of" or in laymans- Mrs. It wasnt changed. I dont remember anyones name being changed. But then I was in a gael scoil in the 80's. Maybe they hadnt thought of it then.

I then went to a normal secondary- Where one ignorant teacher felt the need to call me Abby for the first half of the year I had her and for some unknown reason started calling me Claire for the 2nd.

As for the larger issue is it right to change someones name to the irish. In my social circle we have a french guy. Changed his name to the irish as a measure of inclusion. He loved it. He took it as it was ment a measure of inclusion. You're one of us.

Good post, I think you make a very good point about bullying vs inclusion. I think it is a bit of a fine line to understand a teachers intentions- I'm glad some schools have very clear policy on it.

Of course it is the parents fault and the child has been suffering for what....10 years now since they started in Infants in a Gaelscoil somewhere.

"Suffering" - turn the hyperbole up Bob, it goes to 11, that's about a nine. Oh wait, you can't hear me. Or read the OP. That ignore button is an on/off you know.
    Meanswhile daddy is busy trying to get to his firsr 100 pager before the lock in After Hours instead of dealing with it whatever it is. :D:D

Oh look, the guy with nearly 25,000 posts lambasting posting on boards...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

dollypet wrote: »

When you say "changed his name" do you mean that your French friend changed it himself voluntarily, or that you changed it for him and he didn't protest.
    If the former then good luck to him, the latter, however, is a different story.
    I think there's a big difference between the two scenarios.

By the way, a bullying insult is just that and should never be confused/conflated with something else entirely, namely inclusion, it may be the price some people feel that they have to pay for inclusion, but it doesn't have to be that way.

A spring board for what?

As the gentleman that I am I'll respect your wishes not to got personal about your daughter.

But its simple,

If the parents don't want the name change they'll tell the school not to.

If the kid doesn't want the name change they'll tell the parents and the parents will decide.

Or as many parents do just let the kid deal with it unless it becomes a source of major unhappiness. A life lesson in having to deal with a dickhead boss.

Springboard for a spirited discussion on AH of course. As it has turned out to be -in fact you ended up having to change your sig as a result of arguing yourself into that corner. I find that amusing. Sad, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Did you miss the part where I said this thread was about the general practice rather than the specifics of the situation.?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dollypet

9959 wrote: »
    When you say "changed his name" do you mean that your French friend changed it himself voluntarily, or that you changed it for him and he didn't protest.
    If the former then good luck to him, the latter, however, is a different story.
    I think there's a big difference between the two scenarios.

By the way, a bullying insult is just that and should never be confused/conflated with something else entirely, namely inclusion, it may be the price some people feel that they have to pay for inclusion, but it doesn't have to be that way.

I didnt go to the French embassy and force them to change the name on his passport if thats what you mean.

What we DID do in friendly social interaction is refer to him as the irish form of his name. But then like I say he loved it. Not just "didnt object" actively embraced it. For example when he went and bought a Munster jersey he had the irish form of his name printed on the back. Like I said he embraced it.

What I meant by saying

"take it as a bullying insult then thats what it is"

is: Sometimes a person can pick something up in a way that it wasnt intended.

Just to clear that for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Just as an aside, this happens quite a lot in life even without any concept of translation.

If an Irish guy called Gerard went to the States, chances are more often than not he'd be called the same name pronounced massively different to what he's accustomed to. The actor Gerard Butler gets it all the time. The elongated Ger-aaaard pronunciation.

Point is, while we would all prefer to be called by the name we're given and in the way we're accustomed to it being pronounced, people will always find a way to mangle that up and make a balls of it and call us something slightly different.

In the overall picture of life, it's a trivial issue. If her future boyfriends get drunk and call her Britney then she has a real issue :rolleyes:

Just as an aside, this happens quite a lot in life even without any concept of translation.

If an Irish guy called Gerard went to the States, chances are more often than not he'd be called the same name pronounced massively different to what he's accustomed to. The actor Gerard Butler gets it all the time. The elongated Ger-aaaard pronunciation.

Point is, while we would all prefer to be called by the name we're given and in the way we're accustomed to it being pronounced, people will always find a way to mangle that up and make a balls of it and call us something slightly different.

However anyone deliberately doing it, teacher or not, is rude as hell.
    In the overall picture of life, it's a trivial issue.
    As I have maintained all though this thread, not that anyone listened :)
    If her future boyfriends get drunk and call her Britney then she has a real issue :rolleyes:

I'll buy him a beer, and take him for a drive so that we can go shooting in the desert. I may or may not have been seen the night before with a shovel. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but is your 'birth name' changed into Spanish, German or French
    during lessons in those languages, or is it just Irish lessons than insist on the name change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

This is almost as mindless as the "Let's count to a million" threads...

Have we found out what the OP's daughter's name is yet?

Advertisement