Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wonderful memories of the 80's.

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Oh the memory's , I'm gona make sure my baby boy watches every episode

Edit.... I just to make sure after he thinks the hoff is his idol he doesn't see the youtube clip of him eating his burger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

The Children's Channel being launched- the TCC express with Steve and Danny (I think Danny was the girl)
    You'd send in a crisp for "Risk a Crisp" and if it got there in one piece you'd win a box of crisps,

Number 73 with Sandi Toksvig and Neill Buchanan

I loved Saturday mornings.

Wearing a Dublin's great in 88 t-shirt with the red/blue/yellow castle design

(just read that Neil Buchanan sold the rights for Art Attack for 14 million in 1990)

You could buy loose cigarettes from the shop vans in ballymun and the old lady shop off gardiner street.

wonder would any shop keeper dare sell loose ciggys now?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Looking at class photos from the 80s it seems most of us must have only got our hair cut every 3 months, and everyone seemed to be wearing woolly jumpers.

The local mechanic having one of those 088 mobiles that was the size of a brick.

The Garda squad cars being a Ford Cortina or Sierra.

Going up to Croke Park in for the first time in 1987 when Galway won the All Ireland.

Getting some snow most years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

I f*king loved Miami Vice. Crockett and Tubbs, the white Testarossa, the whole nine yards. Telly hasn't been the same since.

And battle of the planets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Coming home from school and Blockbusters on the TV:
    "Can I have a P please Bob?". Used to love that theme song

I remember being home sick from school one monday and watching "Star Trek 2 The Wrath Of Khan" on TV

TV:
    Knight rider
    Streethawk
    Automan
    Incredible Hulk
    6 Million Dollar Man
    80s series had THE.BEST. narrator intros.

Spending endless blissful hours on a ZX Spectrum (A "Speccy") :
    Manic Miner
    Underwurlde
    Lords Of Midnight
    Elite
    Commando
    ... and many more I could mention.

Trips into "Tomorrows World" in Clearys building to check out other home computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Oh yes, I had the frilly blouses too, and the Deirdre Barlow specs. Chelsea Girl, that takes me back, I used to stock up in their store when visiting the UK.

The Mulk wrote: »
    The Children's Channel being launched- the TCC express with Steve and Danny (I think Danny was the girl)
    You'd send in a crisp for "Risk a Crisp" and if it got there in one piece you'd win a box of crisps,

Number 73 with Sandi Toksvig and Neill Buchanan

I loved Saturday mornings.

Wearing a Dublin's great in 88 t-shirt with the red/blue/yellow castle design

(just read that Neil Buchanan sold the rights for Art Attack for 14 million in 1990)

Padjo's Junkbox

Disney Club on Sunday mornings.

The Wide Awake Show (with Timmy Mallett)

Fraggle Rock - in English - those were the days :)

Weird Science is on right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Pats Chat...Forthy Coats...WWF wrestling was real..orange CIE buses..all the buildings in Dublin black from car fumes...smog...only 6 channels on telly untill Super Channel and Sky in 1987...no money...20 rothmans were £2.17 (I was 5 or 6 and sent up the road to buy fags for my Dad)...driving to Wexford was a total nightmare..Bray was fricken brilliant....Howth was a dump... small cinemas everywhere..E.T...Santa Clause The Movie...Supergirl...having the Airport police wave that wand yoke at womens handbags when they walked into the Airport....TBH the 80's were a load of boll ox....wouldnt wish them on anyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Tontolicious

Findind a loose MAD BASTARD in a corner where once there was only a corner.He taught us how dance and we were oh so happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

For me it has to be this.

I used to get up very early in the mornings. Sitting waiting for tv to start was a nightmare and at that it was only a few channels. This particular Saturday morning I was up as usual 5.30 or so and to my amazement sky1 had arrived. I could hardly believe it, there I was used to waiting for a couple of hours before anything was shown and now I was sitting there watxhing Dennis. Remember Dennis? Not that.British red and black jumper Dennis, I'm talking about the little blonde Dennis. Well that's what was on when I turned it on. Jaysus the excitement was as close to a Xmas morning as I've ever gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

:):):)

I frequently got into the wrong Mini (my key was clearly dodgy) and I could get into any dark blue one outside the local if it was anywhere near mine!.......

And also - the wipers getting robbed frequently....that was an every two week or so event...:(

Duran Duran also Adam Ant short pedal pushers.....oh, dear!

The ignition switches used to wear out after a few years. You could start one with a penknife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Voltex wrote: »
    Pats Chat...Forthy Coats...WWF wrestling was real..orange CIE buses..all the buildings in Dublin black from car fumes...smog...only 6 channels on telly untill Super Channel and Sky in 1987...no money...20 rothmans were £2.17 (I was 5 or 6 and sent up the road to buy fags for my Dad)...driving to Wexford was a total nightmare..Bray was fricken brilliant....Howth was a dump... small cinemas everywhere..E.T...Santa Clause The Movie...Supergirl...having the Airport police wave that wand yoke at womens handbags when they walked into the Airport....TBH the 80's were a load of boll ox....wouldnt wish them on anyone!
    no way 20 s,okes were 2.17 in the 80's
    i started smoking in 1990 and was buying mine in vending machines for 1.90 for 20 or a quid for 10

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

Playing kerbs til all hours,
    bulldog, three and in, on the volley,
    squares (or football tennis), matches on the road, scotch, knick knacks, putting coins on the train tracks, the scramble for a Mr Feeze with a seven on it, Garbage Pail Kids, going to Wexford every summer to a mobile home by the beach, spending every night in the pubs playing pool, arcade games and badgering your Da for a glass of coke on said holidays,
    making huts and swings in the woods,trespassing,getting sketches,the joy when you'd get to go swimming, Sledge Hammer,V and Married With Children on a Friday night, Saturday morning cartoons eating bowl after bowl of cereal.
    All of that and getting the Christmas Family Album and drooling over the toy section, then to the bra and knickers for a bit of sinning.
    I really had a great time in the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I spent my early years in the 80's dealing with a phobia of button's and some show called button moon put the fear on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Supercans!
    Marathon bars
    Real Monster Munch

Supercans = 500ml bottles
    Marathon = Snickers
    Real Monster Munch = Mighty Munch. :D Love 'em.

Tenpenny Bags.
    Going into a shop and having 20p and asking for something that's 30p and getting it anyway.. :pac:
    Corner shops/Sweet shops/Small shops that had everything in them.

Friendliness.

JR Icepops.

Collecting all the glass bottles on my road, to bring them into the shop for 20p.

Getting stung with a load of "No Deposit, No return" Bottles.. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

When the "Body Shop" opened up and every girl went nuts with "White Musk" perfume

Advertisement