Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wonderful memories of the 80's.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I was aged 0-10 for the 80's.

Barbie
    Care Bears
    Banana syrup for making banana milk
    Soda stream
    A-Ha particularly Morton Harket and the 'take on me' video which I loved (collected tokens from weetabiz to get their cassette tape)
    Scooby Doo
    Ghostbusters
    Awful shell suits bought a size too big so they'd last ages :(
    Boot runners with fluorescent laces
    Fluorescent everything
    Our little semi with clashing prints and ferguson tv with no remote control
    The shake n vac ads
    Button moon
    Kylie and Jason
    Freedom
    Long hazy hot summers that had no beginning or end
    My little pony
    Swapping Fancy papers at school
    Free cartons of milk and jam donuts for little break every day at school

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Home made go carts, made from scrap wood and old rubber pram tyres, finding the biggest hill to race down and not giving a flying fcuk about having no brakes.

Shell suits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Madam_X wrote: »
    Yeh lads in my class talking about nothing but Sam Fox's and Sabrina's boobs... and us girls finding it hilarious. :pac:

How could I forget Sam Fox! God she was beautiful! :pac:

I don't think anyone could top Madonna for her one woman sexual revolution in the 80's though, when she wasn't causing controversy by singing about virgins touched for the very first time, she was embroiled in controversy for kissing a ten year old boy at the end of 'open your heart', but she outdone even herself by causing WORLD WIDE controversy with this one, still one of her best songs-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Czarcasm wrote: »

I don't think anyone could top Madonna for her one woman sexual revolution in the 80's though, when she wasn't causing controversy by singing about virgins touched for the very first time, she was embroiled in controversy for kissing a ten year old boy at the end of 'open your heart', but she outdone even herself by causing WORLD WIDE controversy with this one, still one of her best songs-

Eh...... That IS the video for 'open your heart'. :D

Edit: nice ninja edit there, C!

Eh...... That IS the video for 'open your heart'. :D

Edit: nice ninja edit there, C!

Aye, lol, I was gonna stick in the 'open your heart' video but I didn't wanna be filling up the thread with music videos! :o :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Czarcasm wrote: »

I had a major Madonna obsession in the 80's. Had all the albums, posters etc. Even had a pair of lace fingerless gloves and a crucifix.

Sometimes I'd even pencil on a fake beauty spot above my lip when going to the teenage disco. What a twat! :o

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Home made go carts, made from scrap wood and old rubber pram tyres, finding the biggest hill to race down and not giving a flying fcuk about having no brakes.

Shell suits

Loved those big black prams with the solid rubber tyres! And Anneka Rice in a shell suit! :D

Speaking of clothes; the hand-me-downs from your elder brothers, the color never ran in those bright red cotton flares pants with the muppet show logo on the thigh like a badge, and the tee shirts that were so tight you'd to get somebody else to pull it off! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The clothes, shoulder pads, big bows on blouses, peplums, white stilletoes, skinny jeans. I went into River Island recently and ran out again, aaaaaaaaaaargh, I was back in the '80's:eek:

madmaggie wrote: »
    The clothes, shoulder pads, big bows on blouses, peplums, white stilletoes, skinny jeans. I went into River Island recently and ran out again, aaaaaaaaaaargh, I was back in the '80's:eek:

That would be the Chelsea Girl range they have revived. Loved that shop!

Never wore a shell suit but I had Club Sports in every colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Wham when George Michael was still "Straight"

Girls fringes hairsprayed and back combed a foot and a half of the top of their heads.

Grolsch bottle tops on shoes(or was it Michelob?)

Supergran, Bananaman and Dangermouse on telly.

One phone in the house on the phone table under the stairs in the hall and trying to whisper on it to your mates.

And the fecking emersion:mad::pac:

• Advertisement

Crystal Carrington jumpsuits all over again :pac:

Although Joan Collins and Stephanie Beacham... mmhmm, made Dynasty just about watchable, couldn't compare to Dallas though, Charlene Tilton was just all sorts of adorable! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Ah, how could I forget the Lady Di frilly necked blouse and the must-have hair accessory of the mid 80s-the Fergie bow (the bigger the better)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

cans of fosters on hot summer days, boot runners and drainpipe snow washed jeans. girls with big hair and one side shaved off. boob tubes and americian football. mtv and video recorders, coca cola yo-yos and badges collected from smokes.
    it all ended an it was all e and coke and speed and fighting.
    the 90's sucked the 80's were incredible

sun was always shining , we just lived for fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Cans of Stieger:o

Swatch watches(and the longing for one)

Going to Newry of the bus for xmas shopping to Argos(none in the south at the time)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

true wrote: »
    And remember when non-smokers came home from a disco / nightclub their clothes stank the next day?

How come the smokers clothes didn't stink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

The 80s were ****. The only good thing was the computer game store on cathal brugha street off the bottom of o'connell street Dublin. I forget the name anyone remember??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,390 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

We used to get nicer summers than we do now.

Also a bag of crisps would only cost about 10p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

The 80s were ****. The only good thing was the computer game store on cathal brugha street off the bottom of o'connell street Dublin. I forget the name anyone remember??

Computer City ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I wasn't born in the 80's, and this depresses me. Why do I always miss out on the best things? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

We used to get nicer summers than we do now.

Also a bag of crisps would only cost about 10p
    That's a rip off a bag of crisps were only 2p in the 70's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

What about these beauties:p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

hollster2 wrote: »
    What about these beauties:p:D

barf

Aglomerado wrote: »
    barf
    ahhaa I know the shame I had one like that! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Paying roughly 65p tax in the pound after I earned 74 quid. Robbing bastards in government...seems like nothing has changed :)

Cindy Lauper, Van Halen, the Sinclair Spectrum 16k, Commodore 64, and Amiga.

Highlander, Trading Places, Midnight Run, the Terminator, Raw Deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Dan Bars, 5p crisps, ha-penny sweets, 2l of cadet cola and 4 glasses with your brothers while you were made sit in the pub all afternoon.

God I miss dan bars...sugar with extra sugar and then the stretchy orange part to pull out your weakened teeth.

Crap hair, jumpers, hand me down clothes from black bags..cycling without lights, walking home from school, waiting for ages when meeting someone as there was no need or even existing mobile phones.

And 2 stations...(we never had "the english stations" in our house)

I remember my dad using frytex that big lard block for frying the breakfast god the stuff was horrible but we still ate it :) the smell afterwards was rank!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Kids getting their hair spiked
    A-Team on a Saturday afternoon
    Wham Bars
    People sunbathing in their porches
    Actually having summers

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

i just downloaded(bought the boxset :D) the complete Ateam series...Saturday afternoons are back!..

Frytex...fancy....we only had "a crisp and dry day" I mean it made every day a fryday :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Drinking Soda Stream when you couldn't afford the fizzing machine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Non saftey matches

Advertisement