Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wonderful memories of the 80's.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The 80s. I can just about remember when Nottingham Forest were a top football team, and one was not derided or sniggered at for supporting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Bambi wrote: »
    a)Gollywog bars were just icecream, eskimo bars were the ones with a biscuit sandwich.

b) They were called Golly bars not Gollywog

80's kid? You've been rumbled pal.

You've been rumbled pal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Bros Jeans!

Guilty! I thought I was the bees knees and cuckoos ankles with them though! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Sergeant wrote: »
    The death of Margaret Thatcher seems to have ignited some very strong emotions amongst the denizens of AH. So what are the lovely memories of your childhood growing up in the 80's? Apart from all that nonsense?

Gollywog Bars - Racist now, but a fantastic biscuit and ice-cream treat back then.

Those chocolate cigarettes that tasted horrible even then.

Swapping Commodore 64 games with the other lads in your class. Having them stop working just as they were about to load.

Watching Dallas with your Gran. J.R was such a bastard.

Ian Dempsey as the presenter of Dempsey's Den. Zig and Zag living it large. Then Ray D'Arcy arrived. Things changed.

So what do you want to talk about?

your memory is crap - golly bars was just ice-cream on a stick. Gollywogs was the dolls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

loved this ad reminds me of the dark evenings doing my homework after eating waffles beans and eggs ehhh!

Fancy paper
    Stinger bars
    OMG those horrible shell tracksuits
    Telecom eireann phone cards (everytime id look in the phone box for used ones lol)
    The real vica versas and monster munch- ones now do not taste the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

No head rests in cars,well that might have been only my Dad's Fiesta :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Getting roasted alive when you sat in the car on a hot day in short pants - those vinyl seats had a lot to answer for!

Rust on cars - we had a Fiat where the entire matwell of the passenger side was rotted away. Was great fun to see the road whizzing by, but b*llocks on a rainy day.

Ladas - everyone had 'em.

Roller blades.

Shops that sold single cigarettes to school kids (unbelievable, I know:eek:).

Corporal punishment in school - if I had of known that a duster hitting me was worth €8,000, I'd be a rich man now. We used to get a reprieve at Christmas when the Brother's stick was used as Josephs staff in the crib.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BackScrub

The millenium has been mentioned twice in this thread.

Did I miss out on the whole time machine thing in the 80's or is Marty McFly posting on Boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Summers 1983 and 1984 were scorchers.
    Underage smoking.
    Recording Top of the Pops each week on VCR and replaying over and over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Italy v Brazil 1982 World Cup final

Maradona's 2 goals against England, 1986 World Cup

The Smiths

Spectrum ZX with the games on cassette

1983 All Ireland final, Dublin v Galway, Barney Rock & co.

a fill of petrol over the border was £15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Glass bottles of cream soda
    Smash hits/NME
    The Edison twins on tv
    We had the only video recorder in our neighbourhood
    Having only 2 tv channels
    Yuppies
    Dallas/Dynasty
    Not being allowed to watch Live aid in case we annoyed my parents
    The Cure, my brother being a Cure head nicking my lipsticks and hearing my Dad winding my brother up about being a Cure head i.e 'Do you want me to buy you a handbag to go with that makeup on your face?
    Doing the Inter cert and Leaving cert and the fear on the morning you went to pick up your Leaving cert results

Just remembered Leaving cert was in 1991

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Mexico '86 and watching Maradona tear it up.

EURO '88 and Ray Houghtons goal

Stinger Bars

Dallas

Shellsuits

Mullets

WWF - Hogan, Randy Savage, Ultimate Warrior, Andre the Giant.....

Guns n' Roses, Def Leppard, U2 (when they were good)

Heads and Volleys

Football Manager 2 on the Amstrad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Um Bongo.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Is it my imagination or were cartoons a bit more harsh, grim and scary than today? More gun fire and smoking and death etc. obviously capt planet was pretty gay but it had suffering animals and a good moral lesson at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

How could I forget

Mona yoghurt drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Kylie Minogues tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Spending holidays with friends down in Shannon Harbour and Annie Lennox - There must be an angel blasting out of the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Why were troll dolls so popular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

Viz

Is it still published?

They do an Annual around christmas each year. you can get it in eason for a fiver or something.

TRAP DOOR - "dont you open that Trap dooooooorrrr..... there's something down there!"

Dan Bars.

The rise of House music.

some other things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Jumping around the kitchen to Radio Gaga by Queen with my two sisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Getting a double deck tape recorder and being able to copy tapes borrowed from friends and making copies for others as I was the only One with such modern technology. 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

CJC999 wrote: »
    Getting a double deck tape recorder and being able to copy tapes borrowed from friends and making copies for others as I was the only One with such modern technology. 1984.

Pure luxury. We used to record songs off the radio by holding up a cassette recorder to the radio speaker (didn't have an all-in-one unit). Everyone had to be quiet to avoid any interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Pure luxury. We used to record songs off the radio by holding up a cassette recorder to the radio speaker (didn't have an all-in-one unit). Everyone had to be quiet to avoid any interference.

I remember roaring at Dave fanning to shut the **** up as he always used to talk over that start of the songs. He ruined many a good mix tape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

They do an Annual around christmas each year. you can get it in eason for a fiver or something.

TRAP DOOR - "dont you open that Trap dooooooorrrr..... there's something down there!"

Dan Bars.

The rise of House music.

some other things.
    !!!!!omg I loved this was the best programme ever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

has no one mentioned the most watched program of the 80s yet?
    when we all stayed up past midnight for an irish guy with massive glasses?!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Ronald Rat and Alf oh going on summer holidays to Mosney,the pool you could see people legs ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Round the Bend with Doc Croc. So controversial they had it banned.

Advertisement