Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wonderful memories of the 80's.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭olcod

Rainbow.... used to love the anticipation of which window they would go through :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Top Trumps

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Nick Kamen in the Levi's ad. ;)

*Swoons*

I still go weak at the knees whenever I hear "I Heard it through the Grapevine" :D

Bros Jeans!

Fcuking BMX bikes with mag wheels and Pegs

Frosties bike reflectors

Flying from Uk to Ireland to see me dad with an unaccompanied minor tag hanging round my neck and being minded by a beautiful air hostess, used to feel like a VIP.......happy days :)............ ahhhhhh take me back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Top Trumps

My brother had dinosaur top trumps and I loved playing that game!

Plastic dummies - who knew they were for people off their faces! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Can those that were adults in the 80s please confirm weather or not the Summers were better in the 80s?

I was 7 to 17 in the 80's.

83 was hot, I got the measles and missed most of August. 85 was so bad that the primary school kids were given an extra week off when it improved in September. I'd just started secondary. The rest are just a blur.

My dad regularly falling asleep to MT-USA blaring on Sunday afternoon.

Layers of shoulder pads-wearing a t-shirt, cardigan and coat with them all at once. I looked like an American footballer.

Charles and Di's wedding-big if you were an eight year old girl. Dressing your Sindy in a tissue paper 'wedding dress' and fifty foot net curtain veil. Finally getting a Barbie, which was so much cooler than Sindy.

Cameras with a foldout case that became a handle and took 110 film, with cubic disposable flash bulbs.

The excitement of getting your first digital watch.

Vaguely remember some radio presenter discussing the Back to The Future movies and saying that one day the 80s would seem like the greatest decade ever and thinking ah, that'll never happen....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Eating 54321 bars
    Playing the Atari 7800 and my cousin's Commodore 64
    Playing Subbuteo.
    Roy of The Rovers comics
    Sports Stadium on Saturdays
    Glenroe and Where In The World on a Sunday night :)

The zx spectrum 48k with the plug in tape recorder to load the games, used to love the Rambo game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Butter vouchers :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Sally O'Brien, and the way she might look at ya.:D
    Couple of decent summers, but the rest were sh1te, better than recent summers though. Driving around in my alfasud. Them were the days.

Pob........please tell me SOMEBODY remembers Pob.... with his piece of string so he wouldn't get lost, my all time favorite kids show.

olcod wrote: »
    Pob........please tell me SOMEBODY remembers Pob.... with his piece of string so he wouldn't get lost, my all time favorite kids show.

Yep,

No one else I know remembers him though.

Weird lipped fecker! :pac:

Yep,

No one else I know remembers him though.

Weird lipped fecker! :pac:

Ah man, thank god for that, I was starting to think he never actually existed, your the first person i've come across who remembers him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Lisha wrote: »
    Stinger bars, wham bars, big time bars

Home and away

Not having a care in the world in spite of the fact we had feic all.

Wham Bars are still around, there's a rumour in every town in Ireland about the strange young lad who gave his friend a w#£k for a wham bar:rolleyes:

Ah man, thank god for that, I was starting to think he never actually existed, your the first person i've come across who remembers him :D

EEEWWW!

Yeah same here, literally no one I know, knows who Pob is.

It didnt even make any sense that show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Sergeant wrote: »
    Gollywog Bars - Racist now, but a fantastic biscuit and ice-cream treat back then.

Gollywog Bars were just a slab of vanilla icecream on a stick. The biscuit ones were Icebergs or Icebergers AFAIR.

EEEWWW!

Yeah same here, literally no one I know, knows who Pob is.

It didnt even make any sense that show.

HA....wasn't that pobs line :D, that was some mad show alright, I loved it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

I remember the pubs in the early 80's only had 3 draught drinks - Guinness, Smithwicks and Harp.
    I remember in the early eighties some small cars had not even a radio as standard.
    Silver / grey not being a popular car colour, or at least not as common as now.
    I remember buying a calculator for a tenner - which was a fortune then....almost a days work. Now you can get them in a "pound" shop.
    No computers in everyday use.
    No mobile phones.
    More socially acceptable to have a few drinks and drive - limits were higher then.
    No big mortgages.
    No such things as bouncy castles, decking, patio heaters, outside smoking areas...
    I remember going in to McDonalds in Grafton st when it was so exotic and unusual to do so....when it was one of the few in the country ( think it may even have been the first).
    I remember going to the Carlton and Adelphi cinemas in O'Connell st - ah the glamour of going in to town for cinema.
    Great times.

Oh another thing : I remember the thick cloud of smoke upstairs on the buses. And remember when non-smokers came home from a disco / nightclub their clothes stank the next day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

HA....wasn't that pobs line :D, that was some mad show alright, I loved it.

Pob...what a bastard. He gave me the creeps then and still does to this day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Transformers was great. It got a bit ridiculous with the introduction of the Dinobots though. They were supposedly 'robots in disguise'. Turning into a giant metallic dinosaur isn't much of a disguise really.

He IS real !!!!! ah man, no wonder I ended the way I did if I fed my brain with this !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUA_7LQirxI

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Copying cassette tapes with amstrad games on them then waiting half a day for the game to load as in image formed on the screen line by line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Allround Predator

I remember going to the cinema in Fairview to see all the Star Wars films, Indian Jones and the Care Bears the movie.

One thing that always stands out for me in the 80s is when U2 payed in Croke park. I was from the area at that time and I think i was about 9 or 10, It was such a big event, like woodstock, I remember loads of peope sitting around out in my street drinking, me and my friends were going around with bags of cans of orange, coke and 7up, we were getting loads of stuff off people. There was no crowd control from what I can remember!

Other things from the 80s, my street full of kids playing outside all day every day, dont see that anymore.

Broken down houses, use to be hundreds of them in my area, we use to play in them. Dangerous!

Rob cars been chased by the Garda going down my street everyday, 2 or 3 of them.

Catching pigeons with tread, bit like fishing except with birds.

Playing on the train tracks.

Paying cops and robbers or cowboys and indians.

Playing with plastic little solders.

The ice-cream man!

Pocket money on friday, 20p , always bought sweets and ate them while watching the friday night Hammer Horror movie!

Christmas was better!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭CroatoanCat

Does anyone remember Mike Murphy's Micro Quiz-M (don't know what that rogue appendage "-M" was all about??)? "And the Murphys from Timahoe are going home with £6." Oh how we envied the Murphys, the slick baxtards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Pound notes
    Sticker albums
    Skipping
    Playing with my commodore 64
    Dollymount strand
    Sparkler ice pops
    Penny sweets
    Glenroe and 'Where in the World' on a Sunday night
    Ireland getting into the world cup
    The Dublin millennium- and the 50p's and commemorative milk bottles that came with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

This should really be in oulwans 'n' oulfellas. Fecking younsters butting in! :mad:

Jaysus, right square in the middle of the bollix of my feelings ffs!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Champion the wonder horse
    Swap shop
    The Monkees
    The sh1te wrestling with big daddy and giant haystacks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Yep them was some great years alright!!!!

Ronald Reagan became the 40th President of the United States of America, after a landslide victory over Jimmy Carter...
    Zimbabwe achieves Black African majority rule. Robert Mugabe becomes the first Prime Minister.
    Mount St Helens erupted (Washington state, USA), 36 die
    Bjorn Borg defeats John McEnroe to win his fifth successive Wimbledon title
    the 22nd Olympic Games are held in Moscow, and are boycotted by over 50 nations
    War begins between Iraq and Iran when Iraq invades Iran in an attempt to gain control over Abadan and the Shatt al Arab waterway.
    Pope John Paul II is shot twice in St Peter's Square (recovers fully)
    The Iranian President, Prime Minister and 29 others were killed in a bomb attack
    Peter Sutcliffe is arrested in Sheffield, UK and charged with the 13 'Yorkshire Ripper' murders.
    The Springbok (South African) Rugby tour of New Zealand. Over 1000 people were arrested during the two months of the tour.
    Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer are married at St Pauls Cathedral.
    Attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan by John Hinckley
    Civil War rages in Lebanon
    Egyptian President, Anwar Sadat is assassinated
    Muhammad Ali retires from boxing
    Argentine forces invade the Falkland Islands
    Italy's 43rd Government since 1945 takes power
    Neoli Farrell, of New Zealand, becomes the first paraplegic to win a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games, in archery.
    Israel returns the Sinai to Egypt in accordance with the Camp David agreement
    Israel invades Lebanon and advances on Beirut to drive PLO fighters from the country
    The Indian Government institutes a pollution free zone around the Taj Mahal
    President Reagan dubs the Soviet Union the Evil Empire and proposes a revolutionary new anti-missile defense system...the strategic defense initiative, nicknamed 'Star Wars'
    Israel and Lebanon sign a peace treaty, yet civil war in Lebanon continues
    Australia wins the America's Cup after 132 years of unbroken American victory
    M*A*S*H ends after 251 episodes
    A bomb planted by Shi'ite Muslims destroys the U.S embassy in Beirut (87 people killed)
    Bishop Desmond Tutu is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
    Los Angeles host the Olympic Games
    Indian Prime Minister, Indira Ghandi is assassinated
    The UK and China agree that Hong Kong will revert to China in 1997
    Brunei becomes an Independent Sultanate and the 159th U.N. member
    Mikhail Gorbachev suceeds Konstantin Cherichenko as General Secretary of the USSR
    Severe winter in Europe kills more than 100 people
    The UK starts screening blood donations for the AIDS virus
    The Live Aid Rock Concert in London and Philadelphia raises over $600M for African famine relief
    French sink the Greenpeace flagship 'Rainbow Warrior' in Auckland, New Zealand
    The world's worst nuclear accident takes place when a reactor blows up at Chernobyl Power Station
    US warplanes bomb Libya
    New Zealand refuses to admit nuclear warships into port- the US and Australia suspend the ANZUS alliance
    Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson are married and become the Duke and Duchess of York
    Space Shuttle Challenger explodes after take-off
    Bill Gates, 32 year old founder of Microsoft becomes microcomuptings first billionaire
    W.H.O reports that 8% of all pregnant Zairean women and 17% of Zairean blood donors are AIDS infected
    Margaret Thatcher becomes the first British PM this century to be elected three times
    Black Monday world stock market share prices crash
    A Yugoslavian baby boy is declared the world's five billionth inhabitant
    Kurt Waldheim, Austrian President, is cleared of war crimes
    Widespread strikes by solidarity supporters take place in Poland
    McDonalds opens in Moscow
    Soviet troops begin to withdraw from Afghanistan after nine years occupation
    George Bush defeats Michael Dukakis for the US Presidency
    Iran and Iraq accept a UN peace plan
    Canada and the US sign a comprehensive free trade agreement
    The Berlin Wall crumbles and East and West Germany are re-united
    Thousands of pro-democracy students occupy Tiananmen Square, Peking. The government imposes martial law and uses tanks to disperse the students. Thousands are believed to be killed.
    Hungary becomes a democratic country
    Romanian Communist Government is overthrown by the people
    Solidarity is victorious in the Polish Parliamentary elections
    F W DeKlerk becomes President of South Africa, promising reforms to the apartheid policy

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Telecom Eireann taking months and months to get to you when you ordered a phone line.

If you were poor you had wallpaper on your schoolbooks, if you were rich you had clear plastic covers

Rise up and follow Charlie!!

6 kids stuffed in a Fiesta. Nobody gave a fook about seatbelts, people would be furiously belting up when there was a checkpoint

A Garda station and a Post office for your village, now gone!

Feile and The Trip to Tipp :)

Public safety ads like young lads drowning, kids getting electrocuted and your family dog killing sheep and coming home like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth

I don't think anyone had a VCR, they still cost a weeks wages in the nineties

Remote control was your younger brother

Chocolate cigarettes, super cans and Taytos cost 12p

The half penny

Holy hour in the pubs, curtains drawn and lights switched off 2-4 of a Sunday

Roy of the Rovers
    There's a lad on our football team who takes wild shots from the halfway line. Eighties kids know who Hot Shot Hamish was

Catch a niger by the toe was not racist

Thumbing at the crossroads every morning

Welfare fraud was even bigger back then then it is now despite the outrage you'll read on boards.ie

Teresa Lowe and Where in the World.
    You got picked for that show by your Tv licence number

Advertisement