Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maggie Thatcher dead - Mega merge thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

true wrote: »
    She was proved right on so many things. Russia, Standing up to the IRA. Standing up to the Argentinian government who were responsible for thousands of "disappeared". A remarkable woman. Wish we had politicians of her calibre and courage. She has guts and a million times more courage than our gutless dossers.
    She if anything made the IRA more militant when all they were seeking was a political solution, equality across the board and a path to a united Ireland. All of which were subsequently delivered by her successors negotiating with both the IRA and Sinn Fein.

She befriended the fascist General Pinochet in spite of his record in Chile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Lenihan was Irish. Thus his family might have been reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Sorry for her family, but I can't imagine history being too kind on her life. I can imagine all the miners lining up to dig her grave for free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

tbh wrote: »
    The fact that so many people hated her is a testament to the impact she had. She had a vision and she had the wherewithal to see it implemented. Didn't agree with much of her views but I respect her for her steeliness. Not mourning or celebrating, just another part of my childhood no longer around.

My feelings exactly. I have always felt a grudging respect for her.

You mean the loss-making coal mines?

A proper non class war reaction would be to modernise them. Britain still has huge reserves of coal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Oh, and this website has been going for a few years http://www.isthatcherdeadyet.co.uk/

Their wish has come true!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

true wrote: »
    Standing up to the Argentinian government who were responsible for thousands of "disappeared"

Augusto Pinochet

how many did he disappear?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

gallag wrote: »
    How did she affect you to be moved like this? Serious question.

Joke. I really could not care.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its too soon to judge her legacy come back in a 100 years and she how history judges her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Maggie Thatcher - Milk Snatcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭purplepanda

May she rot in hell for eternity for her crimes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

amid all the hating/loving opinion posts on this thread, this one stands out to be the most hilarious and misguided - do you know ANYTHING about history at all?
    I don't think anyone 'loves' her. There are two main points:

1. Celebrating the death of some old woman is pathetic.
    2. The people doing the celebrating have no understanding of what the hell she did anyway.

There's plenty there to criticise (Pinochet, Hunger Strikes) and plenty to praise (saving Britain from economic collapse etc.) but she's a lot more complex than the cardboard villain some clowns here are pouring their bile on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Rip a true ledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

kingtiger wrote: »
    Augusto Pinochet

how many did he disappear?

That whole issue will be conveniently ignored by those fawning over the woman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Dotsey wrote: »
    She if anything made the IRA more militant when all they were seeking was a political solution, equality across the board and a path to a united Ireland. All of which were subsequently delivered by her successors negotiating with both the IRA and Sinn Fein.

She befriended the fascist General Pinochet in spite of his record in Chile.

+1, she let the Hunger Strikers die and that incited so much more violence/strong support for the cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Candie wrote: »
    Not all the people, but certainly the working classes and especially the miners. The cultural legacy of the miners strike is still felt in towns all over the North of England.

The upper stratum of British society had a lot to thank her for though.

She was working-class, or maybe lower-middle herself. She got into Oxbridge on a scholarship. If anything, she represents meritocracy and social mobility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

Ding Dong The Wicked Witch Is Dead.

In some ways the dictator claim were true, but out of context. Half of Europe was in a communist dictatorship. Most left wing leaders, and/or real politic leaders were friends with dictators.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Mr. Wong wrote: »
    Who cares.

14 pages in 50 minutes answer your question?

A proper non class war reaction would be to modernise them. Britain still has huge reserves of coal.
    And if it was economical to mine them, they would be mined. Is that not obvious? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

Anynama141 wrote: »
    I think the point is that the people crowing here who weren't around at the time have no idea of the context that she was operating in..

Rubbish. You don't need to have lived through the reign of somebody like Maggy Thatcher to be able to appreciate the hatred she generated for herself, as is the case with many leaders through history that none of us were alive to witness first hand.

You also don't need to have been alive during her rule to have a valid opinion on her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

An absolute monumental and towering figure in late 20th century politics. A great believer in the power of the free market - she made London an economic powerhouse of the world economy. Tore apart many of the vested interests in the unions (but never touched the NHS).

Stood up to the usual shower of terrorists. Can't say I was a huge fan of all her foreign policy, but nothing is that black and white, especially when the Cold War was still ongoing. Pinochet gets bandied about as a name, but I suppose South American dictators are only the subject of criticism if they were right-wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

What we need is someone like Maggie Thatcher here in this country. She would introduce a lot of changes and no doubt many won't like the changes but one thing is that the changes would be fair. Or as fair as possible. The deficit would close dramatically with her in power.

What we see here in Ireland is a power and a politicial class, leeching off the rest of the country, keeping themselves safe and stable, while they dish out austerity for the rest of us, while they dish out patronising bullsh1t like 'well 82% of country can afford a sky package, so ye can clearly pay up more in taxes'.

RIP Maggie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Party in liverpool tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

mariaalice wrote: »
    Its too soon to judge her legacy come back in a 100 years and she how history judges her.

Live in the North of England like I do and her poisonous 'legacy' is everywhere to be seen, every day. No loss.

She was working-class, or maybe lower-middle herself. She got into Oxbridge on a scholarship. If anything, she represents meritocracy and social mobility.

If you don't understand the chasm between the British working classes and the lower middle classes .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

Read this at school when she was still in office.

Death the Leveller, James Shirley, 1596-1666

THE glories of our blood and state
    Are shadows, not substantial things;
    There is no armour against Fate;
    Death lays his icy hand on kings:
    Sceptre and Crown
    Must tumble down,
    And in the dust be equal made
    With the poor crooked scythe and spade.

Some men with swords may reap the field,
    And plant fresh laurels where they kill:
    But their strong nerves at last must yield;
    They tame but one another still:
    Early or late
    They stoop to fate,
    And must give up their murmuring breath
    When they, pale captives, creep to death.

The garlands wither on your brow,
    Then boast no more your mighty deeds!
    Upon Death's purple altar now
    See where the victor-victim bleeds.
    Your heads must come
    To the cold tomb:
    Only the actions of the just
    Smell sweet and blossom in their dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I disagree with just about everything that she stood for and I'm not going to start praising her now. But it's a little sad,pathetic even, to see people celebrating the death of an elderly woman who hasn't held a position of power for nearly 23 years.

Trine wrote: »
    Rubbish. You don't need to have lived through the reign of somebody like Maggy Thatcher to be able to appreciate the hatred she generated for herself, as is the case with many leaders through history that none of us were alive to witness first hand.

You also don't need to have been alive during her rule to have a valid opinion on her.
    Good point - you don't need to understand something to property hate it.

• Advertisement

ilovesleep wrote: »
    What we need is someone like Maggie Thatcher here in this country. She would introduce a lot of changes and no doubt many won't like the changes but one thing is that the changes would be fair. Or as fair as possible. The deficit would close dramatically with her in power.

What we see here in Ireland is a power and a politicial class, leeching off the rest of the country, keeping themselves safe and stable, while they dish out austerity for the rest of us, while they dish out patronising bullsh1t like 'well 82% of country can afford a sky package, so ye can clearly pay up more in taxes'.

RIP Maggie

Lol

She introduced a poll tax.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement