Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maggie Thatcher dead - Mega merge thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Amazing lady, changed the the United Kingdom in the space of ten years

+1. When Haughey was telling people to wear the hairshirt here , and privately going to Paris with his Mistress to get handmade shirts , the most expensive in the world, Mrs T. was elected for 3 consecutive elections and gave employment to millions of Irish in the UK. Some of my family were among them and glad to get a job there, and were treated well there. Better than the government here treated them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    No, German.

No, Austrian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

GRMA wrote: »
    Shame the evil hag didn't die decades ago before she did so much damage

Best monday in a while
    awec wrote: »
    You sir are an enigma.

I distinctly remember you whinging about the gloating of the Alan Ryan death, saying how it was disgraceful, gutter journalism etc., yet here you are. :pac:
    Epic hypocrisy indeed. One was a convicted criminal thug and prime suspect in several murders who was killed in a squabble with a drug gang over drug money, the other a legitimate politician and elected leader.

I may not have agreed with a lot of her policies, but some people are rather exposing themselves here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

tbh wrote: »
    The fact that so many people hated her is a testament to the impact she had. She had a vision and she had the wherewithal to see it implemented. Didn't agree with much of her views but I respect her for her steeliness. Not mourning or celebrating, just another part of my childhood no longer around.

Jut like Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

davet82 wrote: »
    'ding dong the witch is dead' immediately popped into my head when I opened this thread...

:o

Any more poets out there? A soulful panegyric, perhaps?

A box of John Bull Special Strong Mints for the winner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

Jut like Hitler.
    And Mandela.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

No, Austrian.

Yawn...
    Austrian citizen until 7 April 1925
    German citizen after 25 February 1932

Jog on now...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

I have to lol at the hatred from people not even born when she was in power.

Well said. They probably do not realise hundreds of thousands of Irish people emigrated to London +rest of England when she was in power over that 3 consecutive election reign of power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I don't care a jot for Thatcher or her passing because of her horrible policies in Northern Ireland and England but I'm not going to queue up to dance on some elderly politician's grave either.

Especially with some people here who probably don't even have any idea why they doing it other than barstool republicanism and would probably be running in tears to feedback should anybody else make a joke when some minor celebrity dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I will be celebrating today, I've been hoping for this day to come for a long time :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Iv a few fireworks put away for this day:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭touts

She stood up for what she believed and came to power in a time when women were barely tolerated in politics. You may not like her policies and the left wing media really hate her but the British people weighed all that up and still elected her to office three times. And when it comes to dealing with Europe it's a pity we didn't heed her warnings.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yawn...

Jog on now...

Yes, as I said Austrian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Yawn...

Jog on now...
    the question was "wasn't hitler austrian?"
    You'd be wrong to say "no, German" in response to that. Clearly he was Austrian, even if he was subsequently classified as German under his own authority.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

We're having a party when Thatcher dies! We're having a party when Thatcher dies!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I will be celebrating today, I've been hoping for this day to come for a long time :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Iv a few fireworks put away for this day:D:D:D:D

I bet you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Yawn...

Jog on now...

What nationality was he for the 7 years in between?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FreeTime

I wonder, had it not been for Margaret Thatcher, how long the English would have continued to subsidize the mining industry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Rot in hell.

May her grave be used as a toilet for many years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I have to lol at the hatred from people not even born when she was in power.

So by that logic Hitler, Stalin and the likes are all ok unless you were around during their reigns? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Massive impact on European History. A more normal background than the current crop if UK politicians (from all parties).

Had a reputation for not taking nonsense from anybody. Made her peers look stupid.

Someone like wouldn't go amiss running this Country at the moment to be honest -at least she had sone balls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

chat to you all later lads, im off to the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Any talks of a bank holiday yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Lapin wrote: »
    I bet you don't.

Yes im lying on the internet to impress people:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    She lowered inflation, made the British economy more efficient in the long run and broke the trade unions strangle hold over the country..

yeah right

first off the institutionalized corruption with privatizing the UKs utilities and then all selling it off to her already rich mates

making sure that the wealthiest where well looked after, while hitting the most vulnerable with the poll tax and other taxes and then invoking employment legislation like something out of the 1700s

and to top it all off the defense of the mass murderer General Pinochet

yeah she was just misunderstood

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The best PM Britain has seen since the war.

She dragged it out of the Winter of Discontent in the 1970s and left the place booming in the 1990s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Anynama141 wrote: »
    Epic hypocrisy indeed. One was a convicted criminal thug and prime suspect in several murders who was killed in a squabble with a drug gang over drug money, the other a legitimate politician and elected leader.

I may not have agreed with a lot of her policies, but some people are rather exposing themselves here.

Bit of a difference between someone being murdered and gunned down by drug dealers and people celebrating that deed and an elderly person dying naturally.

She was a dirt bag and there are many people in graves all over the world because of that bitch and her dictator pals

Its a shame she she didnt die years ago, too little too late, its a cruel world.

Satan has a new lieutenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

kfallon wrote: »
    So by that logic Hitler, Stalin and the likes are all ok unless you were around during their reigns? :confused:

Thatcher was a horrible politician but only on the bizarre far shores of republican zealotry could she be likened to Stalin and Hitler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

touts wrote: »
    And when it comes to dealing with Europe it's a pity we didn't heed her warnings.
    There is a *massive* irony here.

It is Thatcher's extremely conservative economic philosophies (austerity, supply side reforms, and they absolutely adore monetarism in Germany) that are now informing European policymaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Parties tonight in the vast majority of Northern English towns and why do I know there'll be the same on the Falls!!!

Can't say I'm sorry to see the end of her.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I wonder if we'll have a minutes applause in the manchester derby tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement