Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maggie Thatcher dead - Mega merge thread

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,570 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

GRMA wrote: »
    Shame the evil hag didn't die decades ago before she did so much damage

Best monday in a while
    You sir are an enigma.

I distinctly remember you whinging about the gloating of the Alan Ryan death, saying how it was disgraceful, gutter journalism etc., yet here you are. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I have to lol at the hatred from people not even born when she was in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The lady's not returning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I wonder how long we will have to wait until we can have one of these threads about Bertie.

Plans have begun for Margaret Thatcher's state funeral.

It'll be the first time ever the 21 gun salute is fired into the coffin

I shouldnt laugh, but day-um that was funny :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Saville first and now Thatcher.

Great 12 months for minors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

lertsnim wrote: »
    Hope she burns in hell

A bit strong there, but if its the case she is probably been reacquainted with her auld mate Pinochet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Margaret Thatcher: brought suffering to millions with a miner's strike, ended her own with a minor stroke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Finally! Good riddance to the miserable bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

pffft... I always hated her films! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

We shouldn't let her die alone. Surely theres more evil people we bury along with herself. Any candidates for an early burial?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2305751/BREAKING-NEWS-Iron-Lady-Margaret-Thatcher-dead.html

Former Conservative Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher has died of a stroke today aged 87.
    Her spokesman Lord Bell revealed the news that the former politician had passed away peacefully after a long battle with poor health.
    Lord Bell said: 'It is with great sadness that Mark and Carol Thatcher announced that their mother Baroness Thatcher died peacefully following a stroke this morning.
    'A further statement will be made later.'
    Britain’s first and only woman prime minister, who won three consecutive general elections, has been in fragile health since she suffered a series of minor strokes more than a decade ago.
    She suffered acute short-term memory loss and had a series of strokes over a decade.
    She spent 11 years in Downing Street, the longest run by any 20th century prime minister.
    In 1990, a leadership challenge forced her to leave No 10 and two years later she was made a life peer, as Baroness Thatcher of Kesteven.
    In recent years she has led a quiet life cared for by her loyal housekeeper Kate. She suffered a minor stroke in 2002 which left her with short-term memory loss.
    Her beloved husband Denis died in 2003 and her children Mark and Carol both live abroad.
    Her health was thrust into the global spotlight this year with the release of a Hollywood film about her with Meryl Streep in the lead role.

The Iron Lady drew criticism from David Cameron and others for concentrating on the dementia she has suffered. Miss Streep won an Oscar for the role.
    Lady Thatcher was not well enough to join the Queen for a lunch with former and serving prime ministers as part of the Diamond Jubilee this summer. And two years ago she missed an 85th birthday party thrown in her honour by Mr Cameron at 10 Downing Street.
    In October she was sufficiently well, however, to mark her 87th birthday with lunch at a restaurant in London’s St James’s district with Mark and his wife.
    Iron Lady Baroness Thatcher, the grocer's daughter, who became the longest serving British prime minister of the 20th century, is expected to be honoured with a full state funeral at Wesminster Abbey.
    Not since Winston Churchill has a politician been granted such a tribute. During her 11 years at Number 10 she changed not only the face of Britain but the entire world.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Margaret Thatcher: brought suffering to millions with a miner's strike, ended her own with a minor stroke

a stroke of luck, some may say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

Do you think she did it for a laugh? Or because it needed to be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Stinicker wrote: »
    No Loss, more people hated her in the UK than do here. I'm sure the Argentines won't mourn here either nor will any true Irish Republican or Nationalist patriot.

She won three general elections in the UK, and when she stepped down her party was still in power. Hardly a sign of being hated in the UK. Us Irish have no need to love her, but she wasnt looking for our love.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Stinicker wrote: »
    nor will any true Irish Republican or Nationalist patriot.

No true Scotsman will either.

*Badum* *dum* *tish*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

To be fair to her, she had some good ideas, the problem was that she stole from the wrong class to pay for them.

I'd say there'd be some craic in the pubs of North England tonight

I was born in 1986. Is it okay if I have an opinion?

I don't hate or not hate her, but she's an interesting figure in recent history who certainly left a lasting mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

It'll be the first time the volley of shots will be fired into the grave instead of over it, just to be sure like.

Not a bit sorry for her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I would rejoice at the death of Thatcherism

I won't rejoice at the death of another human being

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Anyone wrote: »
    Saville first and now Thatcher.

Great 12 months for minors.

post of the day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭paulpd

Not sure if The Journal meant their headline :

"Margaret Thatcher, the former British prime minister, has died from a strike at the aged of 87"

I know the '80's were bad for them in the UK..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So she had alot of faults. Alot might have strongly disagreed with her politics. But end of the day every PM since has been viewed the same by some.

Maybe the hate posts should wait a while, she's only been dead a few hours.

Condolances to her and her family

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Wasn't he Austrian?

No, German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

GRMA wrote: »
    Shame the evil hag didn't die decades ago before she did so much damage

Best monday in a while

I see you have run out of moral high ground today.

Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Do you "lol" at negative sentiments expressed towards other world leaders, under whom the poor suffered, or who expounded philosophies that onlookers found repulsive?

Since when does someone have to have lived under someone's authority to express an opinion?

I'm trying to avoid a Godwin's law here..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

She lowered inflation, made the British economy more efficient in the long run and broke the trade unions strangle hold over the country.

It never does good to speak ill of the dead. Even if just for her family. RIP Mrs. Thatcher the iron lady finally broke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement