Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maggie Thatcher dead - Mega merge thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Theres worse than her out there now. In her defence she had guts. All we're seeing noware cowards and fvcking queers running Europe and Ireland into the ground.

She had balls, which is more than I can say for some.

mod: banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Parties tonight in the vast majority of Northern English towns and why do I know there'll be the same on the Falls!!!

Can't say I'm sorry to see the end of her.
    Some session in the felons club

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

She done what was right, not what was popular, stood up to the unions that were trying to cripple the country and lets face it, the reason most irish hate her is because of the hunger strikers, she never gave into them and that was right, they killed both British and Irish citizens and could not be allowed to dictate the terms of their imprisonment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Do you "lol" at negative sentiments expressed towards other world leaders, under whom the poor suffered, or who expounded philosophies that onlookers found repulsive?

Since when does someone have to have lived under someone's authority to express an opinion?

I'm trying to avoid a Godwin's law here..

I dont lol at opinions, only that comments like the witch is dead are just juvenile band wagon jumping statements.

The typical after hours poster is very quick to jump on the trade unions when they hold the country to ransom, yet here we have the death of a woman who took on the trade unions (who were ten times more militant than in Ireland today) and brought them back in to the realms of reasonableness.

I remember the hardship her policies brought on people and her stance over issues like south Africa etc and will never look on her with fondness, but I also remember having a stock of candles for when the power stations ran out of coal.

She did a lot of very difficult things at a time when they needed to be done. That will always be her legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Quoting herself, "Rejoice Rejoice".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

All we're seeing noware cowards and fvcking queers running Europe and Ireland into the ground.

That is so offensive!

What have you got against cowards?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Rest in Peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

kfallon wrote: »
    So by that logic Hitler, Stalin and the likes are all ok unless you were around during their reigns? :confused:
    I think the point is that the people crowing here who weren't around at the time have no idea of the context that she was operating in.

Britain was going down the toilet (as I said, they needed an IMF bailout in 1976) and the unions were ruining the country. She sorted that out and to whatever extent Britain prospers now, it is largely down to her reforms.

As I said, I don't agree with a lot of what she did, but this idea that she was a cartoon villain is just indicative that most people here have no idea what they are commenting on, and are just insulting a dead old lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

WOW!!! You can really feel the love for Maggie here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Don't forget her support of the Khmer Rouge
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2000/jan/09/cambodia

The woman was pure evil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

GRMA wrote: »

And The Rock bar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

The Felon's club - is that where the Republican drug gangs hang out? How appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Rest in Peace.

A Godsend to the left. Making the decisions they didn't have the balls to admit needed doing. UK would have been a total basket case, economically, with repercussions for us, as a result.

Off topic. Mid 1980s. I was late for school due to DART problems, I had to take the 7 into Dublin. As the bus slowed down and passed Greene's Bookshop, there was Douglas Hurd, walking along, minding his own business. Spitting Image come to life!

gallag wrote: »
    She done what was right, not what was popular, stood up to the unions that were trying to cripple the country and lets face it, the reason most irish hate her is because of the hunger strikers, she never gave into them and that was right, they killed both British and Irish citizens and could not be allowed to dictate the terms of their imprisonment.

What was right? Are you serious?

Pinochet.

As for the IRA, you do know that hundreds of prisoners were on political status while other prisoners were in the h-blocks? Her actions over the hunger strikes were stupid, they got what they wanted in the end (did you miss that bit, where she gave in?) and countless new recruits, supporters, money and weapons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

FreeTime wrote: »
    I wonder, had it not been for Margaret Thatcher, how long the English would have continued to subsidize the mining industry?
    touts wrote: »
    And when it comes to dealing with Europe it's a pity we didn't heed her warnings.

RIP.
    She was proved right on so many things. Russia, Standing up to the IRA. Standing up to the Argentinian government who were responsible for thousands of "disappeared". A remarkable woman. Wish we had politicians of her calibre and courage. She has guts and a million times more courage than our gutless dossers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

pmcmahon wrote: »
    I wonder if we'll have a minutes applause in the manchester derby tonight.
    no chance of that in a city like Manchester or Liverpool, there would be as much hatred there as you would find in Belfast West

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Bit of a difference between someone being murdered and gunned down by drug dealers and people celebrating that deed and an elderly person dying naturally.

She was a dirt bag and there are many people in graves all over the world because of that bitch and her dictator pals

Its a shame she she didnt die years ago, too little too late, its a cruel world.

Satan has a new lieutenant.

But Alan Ryan has been there for a few weeks now??? Or has he just got promoted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

A strangely iconic figure. The strong comments about her show this.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

She is up there with Tupac and Gerry Ryan now.

I wouldn't be so confident that she actually went up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Looks like Elvis Costello gets his day in the graveyard...

You beat me to it! What a great song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Celebrate now with a few pints tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I thought she was good in Spitting Image in fairness to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Oh well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

Funnily enough my uni lecturer (English with Irish descent) was saying that he hated her a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

now we know where the allegiances of the AH mods lie.

people say their happy Thatcher's dead, and say "Ding Dong the witch is dead". Mods do nothing.

people say anything remotely bad about Brian Lenihan when he died, a man who bankrupted our entire country, bans are handed out left right and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

gallag wrote: »

amid all the hating/loving opinion posts on this thread, this one stands out to be the most hilarious and misguided - do you know ANYTHING about history at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

true wrote: »
    She was proved right on so many things. Russia, Standing up to the IRA. Standing up to the Argentinian government who were responsible for thousands of "disappeared". A remarkable woman. Wish we had politicians of her calibre and courage. She has guts and a million times more courage than our gutless dossers.

Hmm.... Russia, well it was the cold war, we were all right about the USSR. Standing up to the IRA, I think you will find that talking to them was what happened later to end it, not standing up to them. Argentina? What about Chile and her best mate Pinochet? She wasnt standing up to Argentina about the disapeared it was for her own political power.

Although I agree with you on her courage, at least she stood for something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Celebrate now with a few pints tonight

How did she affect you to be moved like this? Serious question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

It's not often I'm not in some way sad when a public figure dies. But today I'm not.

• Advertisement

But Alan Ryan has been there for a few weeks now??? Or has he just got promoted?
    On the scale of evil I doubt he ranks high enough - I as no fan of Alan Ryan is was the applauding of the (worse) scumbags that killed him that bothered me. WOuld have preferred he was jailed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement