Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rome Total war 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

What spec is your machine?

E8400, GTX460 and 4GB RAM. It'll play it no problem, but I needs the eye candy for this one. :o

Speaking of eye candy, there's another new screenshot floating about today. It's obviously posed for marketing purposes, but a) it features a faction not really seen before (Parthia) and b) it's freaking huge, so lots of detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭coolguyrko

Speaking of eye candy, there's another new screenshot floating about today. It's obviously posed for marketing purposes, but a) it features a faction not really seen before (Parthia) and b) it's freaking huge, so lots of detail.
    Is it me or do Parthia look like they've already advance to the medieval age. Very medieval 2 like. Great detail tho and looks fantastic.
    I heard the Egyptian one got taken down because of complaints that the Egyptians looked too mummy returns or something like that

Yeah, taken down from FB because the realism nuts went berserk apparently, getting quite personal in their attacks. I can understand CA mixing up the units a bit so that Egypt aren't just another Hellenistic faction. But the inclusion of more bronze age type units (as in the Mummy Returns, apparently) is like a red rag to a bull with some people.

And yeah, the Parthian's cataphracts might look medieval, but I think (and someone more learned can correct me if I'm wrong) cataphracts were already around for a few centuries before the game's time frame.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Offhand, and based on Luttwak's book on the defence of the late Roman empire, cataphracts would be more Byzantine era units: heavy mobile reserves.

• Advertisement

Yeah, taken down from FB because the realism nuts went berserk apparently, getting quite personal in their attacks. I can understand CA mixing up the units a bit so that Egypt aren't just another Hellenistic faction. But the inclusion of more bronze age type units (as in the Mummy Returns, apparently) is like a red rag to a bull with some people.

And yeah, the Parthian's cataphracts might look medieval, but I think (and someone more learned can correct me if I'm wrong) cataphracts were already around for a few centuries before the game's time frame.

Not very bothered by either tbh as long as it plays well. Will probably only play as Rome,Sparta,Iceni or Arverni. As long as there units looks fantastic ill be happy haha.

Manach wrote: »
    Offhand, and based on Luttwak's book on the defence of the late Roman empire, cataphracts would be more Byzantine era units: heavy mobile reserves.

Prevalent then for sure, but still around centuries before that.
    coolguyrko wrote: »
    Not very bothered by either tbh as long as it plays well. Will probably only play as Rome,Sparta,Iceni or Arverni. As long as there units looks fantastic ill be happy haha.

Agreed, and it seems there's going to be a lot more variety in unit type this time too. I'll definitely be playing as Carthage at some point as well, and the Seleucid Empire if they're made playable as DLC at some point.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I just realised this is out the same day as college registration day for me :o Bad timing :o :pac:

I just realised this is out the same day as college registration day for me :o Bad timing :o :pac:
    Think I'm not back till the 10th.Hopefully I can get out of being an orientation guide. Agreed at the start of summer for the money.Now I'm just lazy haha

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Oh wow, I'm waaay behind!

Well, we finally have The Battle of the Nile from the Roman perspective!

http://ie.ign.com/videos/2013/07/10/rome-2-total-war-battle-of-the-nile

• Advertisement

TRIARII!!!

TRIARII!!!

HASTATI!!! Or SPARTANS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Is it me or do Parthia look like they've already advance to the medieval age. Very medieval 2 like. Great detail tho and looks fantastic.
    I heard the Egyptian one got taken down because of complaints that the Egyptians looked too mummy returns or something like that

The Parthians were renowned for using Cataphracts in their armies. One of the main reasons Rome was unable to defeat Parthia was their inability to deal with large numbers of heavy Cavalry, especially the caliber the Parthians fielded. The Romans in comparison only fielded light cavalry in small supporting numbers or as harassing units and relied on heavy infantry formations as the back bone for their legions. They simply didn't have the mobility to compete on the field.

Time to start planning!

Official RIITW Campaign Map Planner.

Time to start planning!

Official RIITW Campaign Map Planner.

Looks cool.is there anything more to it than a map?. Only on iPad at the moment so that's all I see. :P

Looks cool.is there anything more to it than a map?. Only on iPad at the moment so that's all I see. :P

It's interactive - gives info on each region/province. Plus you can select your faction, and then map out your planned progress.

It's interactive - gives info on each region/province. Plus you can select your faction, and then map out your planned progress.

That's awesome. Finished building my new rig awhile ago. Installing all the drivers. Internet, anti virus etc so it'll be awhile before I get round to it

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

This map planner it too awesome!

Hours of fun to be had!

New pic showing different the different battlefield weather conditions at Vesuvius - so not sure if that's snow or ash in the bottom-right!

1073853_485252798216592_1585125919_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I just remembered something I wanted in this version, but I don't think I'm getting it.

The ability to update combat doctrines amongst the "savage" races. Playing as the Gauls after a 100 years was kind of suckage because you got no new shiny shiny. But, historically, everyone, including the Romans, stole military tech from each other. Gladius started in Spain, Romans adopted it from the Iberians, Parthians then took it from the Romans around the time of the Mithridatic wars.

Guess them modders might be able to do something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

That campaign planner, wtf so awesome :D

Glad I'm getting a new computer right before this comes out.

Video covering RIITW's audio; from voice acting (from Mark Strong), music to sound effects.

The latest Rally Point thing. Hippy-Simon-Pegg is more annoying than ever, but there's a little glimpse of the start of a Suebi campaign.

The latest Rally Point thing. Hippy-Simon-Pegg is more annoying than ever, but there's a little glimpse of the start of a Suebi campaign.

Is it just me or is the scale of the campaign map just enormous. I mean the starting stage he was on of just once province looked pretty big as it was. Can't wait to invade with rome now haha. If only I could fix my bloody issue with the graphics on my computer. It's bareable but only just

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

HA! Cringy dude :D

Pricing revealed for the Greek factions DLC (for those who don't pre-order) - €7.49/£5.99/$7.99. Yikes!

Anyway, because of the announcement, one of the CA PR people asked the staff about Sparta, and the size of the task in front of players who choose them for the grand campaign. This was taken from the thread over at the official TW forums.
    I asked our design team what it would take for a cunning player to bring them back from the brink of extinction and why they think Sparta will be one of the hardest factions to start ROME II with, here’s what they had to say:

When Total War: ROME II begins, it’s been more than 200 years since the famous Battle of Thermopylae, a moment that enshrined the Spartans as a force to be reckoned with and made their strict training methods and fearsome battle tactics the stuff of military legend. Though ultimately defeated, a tiny force of Greeks, including the famous 300 Spartans, held back an enormous Persian army for 3 bloody days.

From then on though Sparta’s fortunes waned as they found themselves left behind by the growing military and economic strength of their neighbouring Greek States. An unfavourable outcome to the Punic Wars and a final conquering by the Roman Empire in 146BC meant an ignominious end for classical Spartan culture as a tourist attraction for the wealthy Roman upper class.

As our game starts though, you have the power to change all that. Sparta is certainly on the back foot, in decline and, compared to some of its closest neighbours, looks like it could be quickly outmatched. But Total War is all about rewriting history, so what advice do the CA design team have when it comes to playing the aging underdog…

Sparta is done for, right?

James Russell, Lead Designer – “Not quite, but it’s not looking good for them at the start of ROME II, no. If you pick them for your grand campaign you are facing a very tough early game against some difficult and varied opposition. In particular, you are already at war with Epirus to the north who, while perhaps being more economically strong than particularly mighty in the military sense, cannot be underestimated. Your lifeline politically, at least for the time being, is Athens who may not be your best friend but are a client state of Macedon, who you are at least allies with.

“It’s not a cast iron safety net should Epirus look to press their luck, but it’s certainly a help to know you won’t be fighting on two fronts. Unless you really mess up your diplomacy…”

Jack Lusted, Lead Unit Designer – “They’ve definitely got the edge on the infantry front with Spartan troops earning increased experience per battle, they will learn fast and get better sooner than most factions, but the magnificent ranks of hoplites and elite ‘Heroes of Sparta’ are effective but costly. Depending on how you build out your first armies you may struggle to match your opponents numbers so a player who’s shrewd with ambush battle tactics and making the most of smaller forces will find a lot to pique their interest here. Sure, Spartan infantry can eat a lot of punishment, but an inexperienced player can easily risk throwing away that early game advantage by rushing in and not picking their fights appropriately.”

So it’s likely they will be overwhelmed pretty quickly?

Janos Gaspar, Lead Campaign Designer – “No, actually overwhelming Sparta, conquering them outright, should be a challenge in itself. Defensively strong, their starting province is also easier to protect than most, plus they have a unique building in the form of the Monument of Leonidas which, alongside other benefits, brings a huge morale bonus to land units in the home province. If you can build it though.

“Rather than being overwhelmed, the real risk is being contained in your starting position. Your neighbours have good trade links and powerful incentives to buff up their military strength to survive. The Seleucid Empire is not far to the east, Rome to the west and the looming threat of barbarian cultures in the north mean that your immediate neighbours might be distracted by weightier concerns than poor old Sparta, but those threats could make them hard as steel in response. The upside is that while the giants fight amongst themselves the clever player could spot opportunities to strike out at a weakened state. Investing in spy and scout agents early on will help you spot these chances as the other factions move against one another.”

Dom Starr, Campaign Designer – “Being imprisoned in their own borders is certainly the biggest threat to the Spartan player in my mind. One major weakness is their lack of a trade port in their home region, so maintaining cordial relations with Athens or indeed a decisive strike to take their territory and harbours would be at the front of my mind. The latter could easily leave your relationship with Macedonia in tatters and your armies stretched too thin if you go too early. Leave it too late and you won’t be able to build a large enough force to go against your fellow Greek States.

“That precise moment when you decide to move would be a strong indicator of a great Total War player; that moment will arrive at a different point in each player’s game and if you miss it, it could be turns later until your mistake finally dawns on you.”

Aside from the tasty infantry, have they got anything else to help them out?

Mike Simpson, Creative Director – “Well there are some distinct advantages you can play to. Their starting region contains a wonder, Olympia, and the bonus this confers means that Spartans tend to party particularly hard when you enact the festivities edict. Such is their fervour in the belief that Zeus favours them at these times that your population happiness is easier to manage, or at least more effectively prop up in a crisis.

“There’s also the question of slavery. Sparta had a long history of effectively repressing their large slave population, the Helot underclass. In the game this is represented by a bonus Sparta receives that ensures slaves are less likely to revolt than those of other factions. These elements mean that while the odds are stacked against Sparta, they do have the advantage of a stable home territory and powerbase, however small, to work from. It’s not fool proof though, neglecting your slave population’s happiness will still eventually lead to revolts and in the opening turns that will be catastrophic for the unwary Spartan player.”

Hope you all enjoyed that!

New computer arrived \0/

New computer arrived \0/

Not jealous at all. :mad:

Enjoy! :pac:

Stole this from TW's Facebook feed - essentially a list of all factions in the game.
    Britainnia:
    Ebdani
    Brigantes
    Demetae
    Britannia
    Dumonii
    Iceni (Playable)

Gaul:
    Bibracte
    Carnutes
    Belgica
    Aquitinia
    Averni (Playable)
    Vivisci
    Volcae
    Massilia
    Aedui
    Frisii

Italia:
    Rome (Playable)
    Etruscan
    Veneti
    Insubres
    Liguria
    Syracuse
    Carthage (Playable)
    Karalis

Iberia:
    Carthage (Playable)
    Nova Carthago (Client state of Carthage)
    Turdedani
    Celtici
    Lusitani
    Gaelleaci
    Cantabri
    Editani
    Arevaci

Germania:
    Suebi (Playable)
    Cherusci
    Gutones
    Cimbri
    Nervii
    Marcomanni
    Boii
    Nori
    Raeti
    Helvetii

Steppes:
    Aestii
    Budini
    Anartes
    Catiaroi
    Cimmeria
    Siraces
    Aorsoi
    Roxolani
    Thyssagetae
    Massagetae

Eastern Europa:
    Delmetae
    Daorsi
    Ardiaei
    Triballi
    Ordryssia
    Macedon (Playable)
    Getae
    Bastarnae
    Biephi
    Eravisci
    Scordisci
    Breusci

Greece:
    Macedon (Playable)
    Athens (Playable, client state of Macedon)
    Sparta (Playable)
    Epirus (Playable)
    Tylis
    Knossos
    Rhodos

The East:
    Pergamon
    Sardes (client state of the Selucid empire)
    Cyprus (client state of Egypt)
    Tarsus (client state of Egypt)
    Sardes (client state of the Selucid empire)
    Galatia
    Cappadocia
    Bityhnia
    Pontus (playable)
    Trapezos
    Armenia
    Colchis
    Kartli
    Ardhan
    Selucid empire
    Egypt (playable)
    Nabatae
    Petra
    Blemmyes
    Meroe
    Axum
    Himyar
    Saba
    Mascat
    Ma In
    Gerrhae
    Quidri
    Media (client state of the Selucid empire)
    Persia (client state of the Selucid empire)
    Media Atropatene
    Parthava (client state of the Selucid empire)
    Parthia (playable)
    Harmozia (client state of the Selucid empire)
    Sagartia (client state of the Selucid empire)
    Drangiana (client state of the Selucid empire)
    Sagartia (client state of the Selucid empire)
    Aria (client state of the Selucid empire)
    Dahae
    Khorasmii
    Baktria
    Arachosia
    Cyrenaica
    Nassamones

Africa:
    Carthage
    Nova Carthage (client state of Carthage)
    Gaetuli
    Massaeyli
    Garamantia
    Libue (client state of Carthage)
    Garamantia

Pricing revealed for the Greek factions DLC (for those who don't pre-order) - €7.49/£5.99/$7.99. Yikes!

Anyway, because of the announcement, one of the CA PR people asked the staff about Sparta, and the size of the task in front of players who choose them for the grand campaign. This was taken from the thread over at the official TW forums.

1 of the main reasons I thought of starting as sparta provides a dynamic challenge. Like England in M2TW. Strong starting position and easy enough to defend where you are but can be difficult to expand(mainly because you will get excommunicated even tho France and Scotland always start wars and never get excomunicated)

Fixed a graphical problem with my computer so now Im raring to go. Just need to order it now. 25 euro is great but the count doesnt bloody have it atm haha

• Advertisement

What was the graphical problem cool?

Advertisement