Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rome Total war 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

ragequitted it last night after about 2 hours of turtling with research and a few massive armies - was attacked by the AI unexpectedly and outnumbered by 3-1 - they had three full armies, i had one. Seriously more aggressive AI on both the campaign and battlemaps - didnt notice much more else, as i was playing Iceni

Gonna give it another chance now though..
    wow, sounds like its time to give this a second go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

What difficulty were you playing at degrassinoel?

easy :P

Yeah, it's actually a totally new game with those changes - the AI is smart, even on easy it's brutal sometimes. I havent played in ages so i'd been using brute force to occupy cities and break down armies. And tbh that just isn't working nearly as well as it used to anymore. Not sure what else has been changed but in the two campaigns i played, i played as Iceni twice and got owned by the Scots both times. Regardless of what way i'd been researching they just seemed to have stronger armies than me, even with equal numbers i was losing more often than winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Wow defo gonna have to give it another shot, the AI was pretty poor. That said it sounds like it's too good now! Downloading the patch currently anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭deckycoop

my god this game is heart breaker... i keep gettin busted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

I see there's a new Emperor Edition being released soon. It'll include all the free DLC, new features and improvements, plus a brand new campaign based on the Second Triumvirate War;
    Total War: Rome II has already seen a number of changes since its release last year but the Emperor Edition will add even more, including upgraded graphics, an improved politics system, new building chains and rebalanced battles. But the big attraction is clearly the new Imperator Augustus campaign, which adds "hundreds of hours of sandbox gameplay across a new campaign map" set during the epic struggle for control of Rome between Lepidus, Marc Antony and Octavian.

That's all well and good, so long as the improvements don't break stuff they've just fixed! Still, the whole shebang is free if you already own the original, which is a nice gesture by CA/Sega.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭Patser

Sorry but does that mean all the DLC is available too or just the new upgrades and campaign?

They're hardly going to piss off any of the dedicated players that bought DLC packs earlier on. Not that I have, so I'd live free blood and gore and to play as Sparta.

I think the paid-for DLC will still have to be bought separately, it's only the few items they released for free that are included in the new edition.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Really looking forward to this. Game has come on in leaps and bounds over the last year. Clocked up some serious hours at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I'll definitely have to give this another go once this Emperor edition is released. Might finally restore my faith in CA games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've not played a Total War game since Shogun 2, but fancy a bit of grand strategy at the moment. Might see if i can pick it up at a reasonable price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Oak76 wrote: »
    I see there's a new Emperor Edition being released soon. It'll include all the free DLC, new features and improvements, plus a brand new campaign based on the Second Triumvirate War;

That's all well and good, so long as the improvements don't break stuff they've just fixed! Still, the whole shebang is free if you already own the original, which is a nice gesture by CA/Sega.

A very nice gesture indeed, fair play to CA. At least they recognise that there were some major issues with the initial release.

Wouldn't mind getting in on the beta test if possible just to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

So does Emperor Edition mean its out of beta?

Anyone tried the Emperor Edition beta patch yet? It's not save game compatible so I'm going to start a new one soon.

The emperor edition is out tomorrow. Have been watching a lot of early access footage and have been very impressed with beta patch 15. Really looking forward to getting stuck into Octavians Rome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The emperor edition is out tomorrow. Have been watching a lot of early access footage and have been very impressed with beta patch 15. Really looking forward to getting stuck into Octavians Rome.

You mentioned that the beta patch was not save game compatible, but is the full release?

You mentioned that the beta patch was not save game compatible, but is the full release?

No the full release won't be either. There are too many changes to core game play.

It's actually available now.

No the full release won't be either. There are too many changes to core game play.

Yeah I guessed that would be the case. Although it doesn't bother me all that much, I needed an excuse to start a new game anyway.

Rumours are that "Attila the Great" is the next expansion. I guess we'll find out soon enough anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

Started a new campaign this week with the new Emperor Edition. Have to say Rome II has finally come good a year after its craptacular release! Really enjoying it!

• Advertisement

"Total War: Attila" it is http://www.totalwar.com/

A definite purchase for me anyway. Onto my second Emperor Edition campaign now after completing a run through with Octavian. Without doubt my favourite in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

Rumours are that "Attila the Great" is the next expansion. I guess we'll find out soon enough anyway.

Total War: Atilla announced today! Slated for release in 2015.

***Ninjad!***

Here's a look at the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

heh still waiting for AMERICA: TOTAL WAR

I thought after the success of shogun 2 they were really gearing up to give the american civil war period a try considering how much of what made the us civil war makes up the end of the shogun 2 (guns, gatling guns, artillery, ironclads...a bloody cvil war). So still expecting america total war game stretching from colonization to war of independence ending at the civil war.

Guess I'll keep hoping its the next one after this expansion.

Yeah i was kind of hoping for something like that too, the naval artillery and field guns were awesome in that

Yeah i was kind of hoping for something like that too, the naval artillery and field guns were awesome in that

It's definitely a possibility after this. I'm hopeful for a medieval 3 myself. Have to say though this should be fantastic. Rome 2 has improved hugely since last year. Get ready enjoyment out of the battles now.

Has anyone played any of the Imperator campaign. The revamped politics system is a huge plus, and balancing imperium and influence adds a lot to the game. Really enjoyed the civil war in my previous campaign. I want to try avoid one on this playthrough.

Hope so, and tbh i hope CA/Sega have learned from their mistakes with Rome II - shockingly bad at launch, you're right though, it's fairly decent now and i finally managed to complete a campaign without getting frustrated with it and turning it off :D

It's definitely a possibility after this. I'm hopeful for a medieval 3 myself. Have to say though this should be fantastic. Rome 2 has improved hugely since last year. Get ready enjoyment out of the battles now.

I agree. I started a new campaign once Emperor Edition was released and I have been playing it ever since. It just seems to play so much smoother now and many of the issues I had have been sorted.

There's 75% off all the DLC on the Steam store (and all other TW titles) for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

As someone who has never played a total war game im looking at picking up one as there currently on sale on steam. Was looking at either Shogun 2 or Shogun 2:Fall of the Samurai. Fall of the Samurai does not need the base game to work from what i read on the store page. I hear Medieval is fantastic but i was thinking i would get one slightly more up to date.

So any opinions?

Or should i even just get Rome 2? Ive heard its good now but just dont know weather its the one to try first,have heard so many good things about shogun 2

Advertisement