Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rome Total war 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Game is STILL broken. Haven't fully completely one co-op campaign yet.

Neither have I,I've gone back xcom.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Sand

The terrible thing about the Total War series is that when they load up the next round of CA ****e (Gettysburg:Total War anyone?) there will be a queue down the street for amazing screenshots and a heavily touched up trailer. Why mess with a formula that has delivered bumper profits game after half finished game after half finished game?

Fairly desperate to see a game that was amazingly innovative with Shogun descend to this level of Fifa or Madden style reskins and updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

I'm done with the series. This game has completely spoiled it for me. I was broke wen I bought it. Figured I'd buy this and get me through a couple of weeks but nope. Think I got 4 hours of game play since day one release

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

gufc21 wrote: »
    I'm done with the series. This game has completely spoiled it for me. I was broke wen I bought it. Figured I'd buy this and get me through a couple of weeks but nope. Think I got 4 hours of game play since day one release

I've bought every iteration of the series and been noticing the slide also.

For me it peaked at the first Rome: Total War. Shogun 1 and medieval 1 were brilliant also.

But the AI in the newer games.....ye gods the ****ing AI.......
    "You're being charged! drop the ****ing guns and turn to face the enemy you retards!"
    "Hang-on, hang-on, we're still dressing the ranks. Ah, there we go nice and ti-SMASHCAVALRYCHARGETOTHEFACE"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Shogun 2 was pretty feckin great tbh, i was expecting more of the same with rome2, but meh..consistently letdown since release

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Shogun 2 was pretty feckin great tbh, i was expecting more of the same with rome2, but meh..consistently letdown since release
    I also loved shogun 2 and was really surprised by it, for that reason I pre-ordered Rome 2.... Regretted that one, not again.

I spent the last few hours playing this again.

I enjoyed it right up til the point where i sent a massive roman army against syracuse -(on the campaign map) had them camped inland pointed directly at the city, clicked on the city to attack it and my army went for a swim because clearly the quickest way to attack a coastal city that you're standing right in front of is to go around it and attack from the sea.. - wasted 2 turns getting my army back because of the area of influence that you cant cross.

Thought they'd fixed that stupid bug, but nope.

Then the actual battle itself, complete clusterfcuk. The units do try to keep formation but then they just stand there, getting mowed down and seemingly not attacking at all. Whats worse is that sometimes the enemy units do that too, so you've got two armies standing toe to toe telling each other about the weather back home and when the best time to plant cabbage is.

When it's not being stupid like that, it's being stupid some other way.. When you have a formation group attacking, it actually turns into a gigantic orgy of carnage, in the worst possible way. cavalry decides to randomly attack RIGHT THROUGH your testudo formations, trampling them, or breaking them up enough so that the enemy (Hoplite phalanxs) tear them up and then procede to decimate the cavalry..

f f s

I dont even know why i bothered to reinstall it at this point :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I dont even know why i bothered to reinstall it at this point :/

For the campaign map? Its a minor saving grace.

It's decent, but Crusader kings 2 or Europa univeralis 4 do the campaign map thing better.

i could live with the problems on the campaign map, it's the battle map bugs that infuriate me really. I enjoyed playing the big battles in all of the TW games, they had bugs too but nowhere near as bad as Rome 2

Rome 2 is half price on Steam - 28 Euro. What's the current state of play with this game? Still pretty to look at, awful AI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Sand wrote: »
    Rome 2 is half price on Steam - 28 Euro. What's the current state of play with this game? Still pretty to look at, awful AI?

No idea what the state of it is at the moment. No matter what, don't buy it right now, wait for it to go as a Daily Deal or a Flash Sale - it will probably go cheaper than €27.49.

Wise words - thanks, saved me from a moment of weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I always really loved the 'Risk' type map in Medieval 1, the game seemed to engross me more than the 2nd one ever did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I always really loved the 'Risk' type map in Medieval 1, the game seemed to engross me more than the 2nd one ever did.

Yeah, much preferred that myself. Probably still my favorite iteration.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

I have finally, after all this time (look for me in the early stages of this thread, I was so young and full of dreams) gotten to play Rome 2.

Chalked up a few hours of an Iceni campaign there yesterday. Now it's early days yet, but apart from one siege based path finding problem that cost me a few extra troops, I have had a bug free experience.

I have to admit I'm really enjoying it*. I think this is partly because my expectations were somewhere in the Mariana Trench and partly because I wasn't stung by all the problems of pre patch 13.1 buggy ****tiness. Either way, I can see myself sinking an awful lot of time into this game before summer's end.

*#fukdah8rs

..or at least until one bug ruins your campaign and you ragequit like i do everytime i give it another chance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Soo far, the only thing causing me to rage quit is my generally sh1t skill level. It seems like no matter how many hours I spend playing total war, I am only getting worse at these games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Any word/rumour of a gold edition of this being released lads (all DLC included, basically)? Not sure if there's further DLC due.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Oak76 wrote: »
    Any word/rumour of a gold edition of this being released lads (all DLC included, basically)? Not sure if there's further DLC due.

I'm surprised that they don't have a decent DLC bundle on Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Most of the stuff for Rome 2 isn't DLC in the way you mean it. It's micro-transactions. "Pay us to access this amazing faction!....that's already in the game files and that modders already unlocked..."

Makes me a little irritated tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

Keggers2 wrote: »
    I have finally, after all this time (look for me in the early stages of this thread, I was so young and full of dreams) gotten to play Rome 2.

Chalked up a few hours of an Iceni campaign there yesterday. Now it's early days yet, but apart from one siege based path finding problem that cost me a few extra troops, I have had a bug free experience.

I have to admit I'm really enjoying it*. I think this is partly because my expectations were somewhere in the Mariana Trench and partly because I wasn't stung by all the problems of pre patch 13.1 buggy ****tiness. Either way, I can see myself sinking an awful lot of time into this game before summer's end.

*#fukdah8rs

Well done! Reminds me of when I finally got to play age of conan about 5 years after it came out! ;)

In fairness I never understood the hate for this game.

I play it still and love it still!

Mid way through a campaign with carthage and busy putting down rebellions down in east africa and solidifying my grip on the arabian peninsula!

The base game is about a tenner on Nuuvem at the moment, for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

The base game is about a tenner on Nuuvem at the moment, for anyone interested.

Unfortunately "REGION LOCKED: Esse jogo só poderá ser jogado na América do Sul"

Por Favor! :D

Mea culpa.

Anyone been playing with the latest patch? It's been in open beta for a few days and feedback on Reddit seems good. May finally be the time for me to buy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Anyone been playing with the latest patch? It's been in open beta for a few days and feedback on Reddit seems good. May finally be the time for me to buy.

Not yet, but I will give it a go. I wasn't aware of it until now. Those seem like some substantial AI improvements so it does look promising.

downloading the patch now, will try it out later this evening

ragequitted it last night after about 2 hours of turtling with research and a few massive armies - was attacked by the AI unexpectedly and outnumbered by 3-1 - they had three full armies, i had one. Seriously more aggressive AI on both the campaign and battlemaps - didnt notice much more else, as i was playing Iceni

Gonna give it another chance now though..

• Advertisement

What difficulty were you playing at degrassinoel?

Advertisement