Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rome Total war 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭Patser

Just a few months ago I was all excited about Rome 2 and Company of Heroes 2 both coming put together. It was like a dream wish-list of games I loved and wanted to see up-dated and improved on.

Don't know which one is the bigger disappointment, although at least CA are trying to fix their messes and I feel mods will make something of Rome 2.

X-Com: Enemy Unknown shows how to bring up to date a cherished classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Patser wrote: »
    Just a few months ago I was all excited about Rome 2 and Company of Heroes 2 both coming put together. It was like a dream wish-list of games I loved and wanted to see up-dated and improved on.

Don't know which one is the bigger disappointment, although at least CA are trying to fix their messes and I feel mods will make something of Rome 2.

I know that feel. I was so happy both we're coming out together in the same year.

Must try X-Com, bought but only played an hour. Got put off by the feeling that the choices I was making were going to fúck me down the line. Do you need to read up on research paths to get the most out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I've returned to MW2 which I never played that much originally due to the vanilla game being not all that great. But the stainless steel mod makes the game great; if the same people can do similar for RTW2, it'll be a cracker.

grizzly wrote: »
    I know that feel. I was so happy both we're coming out together in the same year.

Must try X-Com, bought but only played an hour. Got put off by the feeling that the choices I was making were going to fúck me down the line. Do you need to read up on research paths to get the most out of it?

Not really. Ignore laser tech maybe and definitely, definitely do not get attached to any of your squad.

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I've returned to MW2 which I never played that much originally due to the vanilla game being not all that great. But the stainless steel mod makes the game great; if the same people can do similar for RTW2, it'll be a cracker.

The Darth mod made Empire something worth playing and even helped lift Shogun 2 a lot. So yep when the mods come out and get themselves sorted Rome 2 could become something. How long til then though, another 6 months? A year?

Hope CA/Sega don't do something cynical like abandon Rome 2 and release a 'fixed' game called Caeser - like Napoleon when they gave up on Empire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

massive 600meg patch has made the turn time even more acceptable, less than a minute for the enemy to turn, its basically to the same level as shogun2 now.. thank the gods!

AI is still a bit wibbly here and there but ye can tell they've been working on it. Sieges are bit messy, but then sieges are always messy.
    Loads of graphic and memory bugs fixed.

It just plays a whole lot smoother than it did last week.

worth playing again imo.

Took you're advice and tried a few turns. Defo running a lot quicker (patch 2.5 also made a big difference)

Seeing Developers saying that this is their last patch to do with optimisation/performance and they're now going to focus on gameplay issues, so patches will come out slower now as the next patches will need a lot more testing so as to not mess up the game more.

The Darth mod made Empire something worth playing and even helped lift Shogun 2 a lot. So yep when the mods come out and get themselves sorted Rome 2 could become something. How long til then though, another 6 months? A year?

Hope CA/Sega don't do something cynical like abandon Rome 2 and release a 'fixed' game called Caeser - like Napoleon when they gave up on Empire.

some good news. CA are now working directly with modders to improve things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

CA are now giving away the Nomadic Tribes Culture pack for free (if you dl before the 29th) as a "thank you" to loyal fans. You have to manually add it to your game via the Steam store.

Played it there for a good while yesterday and started off normal enough, swallowing up small nations as Rome. But moving North towards Switzerland (Helvetii) I found other tribes quickly allying up against me, with unprovoked tribes more than happy to declare war on me with built up armies.

So maybe the previously too passive AI has been beefed up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Co-op campaign is fun.

Started playing with Sparta yesterday.
    Am currently about 40 minutes into a battle (fast forwarding) with some Celtic tribe of about 6000, just standing outside my walls, being picked off by my towers....they abandoned their ladders early on, after I fought the first few off. then they tried to set fire to one of the two gates they have access to...less than 50% fire damage right now, but they gave up on that too.

I have something like 900 Spartans just inside the gate, hoping they would burn the gate down, so I could end this quickly, and retake the blasted city, but no.

Damn you, silly Celtic tribe.

Edit: Ok, a little bit more than 900, I had 1418, and 1218 survived. They had 6120, and 2547 survived.
    Of the 3573 that they lost, a whole 166 were killed by my Spartans, the rest by the towers, and maybe a few from friendly fire early on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I ain't touching this game til it goes gold in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I just had a lot of fun with the new nomadic tribes and their awesome balistas..
    see for yerself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Tried to play this game earlier today but I got fed up after half an hour.

I find the white line graphical effects that all incoming projectiles make even from slings and javelins just stupid looking tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Don't know if anybody cares anymore... but there's a new campaign pack on the way; Caesar in Gaul.
    Julius Caesar’s war of expansion against the Gaulish tribes. Included will be a new campaign map, a greater focus on characters, compact focussed multiplayer design, new mid-game challenge mechanics and three new factions!

More info over on the official forums, but gets a big "meh" from me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Too many bugs, haven't really had a chance to play it. in fact, the update a few weeks ago made the game worse for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Why I hate Steam...:mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I haven't touched the game since the week it was released :-\

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I second that.

Good ol' hype machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

Third that!

Have many mods came out to improve the whole game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

so I come back from a four month holiday, looking forward to getting this game, only to discover its one of the most botched games in history??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

If you really want it, with 2 DLCs, I'd gladly sell it to you for 30 quid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Bought it on release, Played it 6 hours since the release, I really cant handle the sadness that creeps up on me after playing all the other since Shogun Total War back in the day love them all but Rome 2 waste of time. Spend my days in Crusader Kings 2 online now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 citeog3

Hi ,

We're looking to buy a laptop for our son who loves Rome but have'nt a clue what model laptops are suitable.Ive read some of the specs but might as well be reading chinese.We have two models in mind at the moment but dont want to take the guy in the shops opinion alone.Can some kind gamer tell me if the specs of these two are suitable;

Lenovo G505
    AMD A4-5000 APU processor
    Microsoft Windows 8 operating system
    AMD Radeon™ HD8570M 1Gb graphics
    15.6 inch LED HD display
    8Gb RAM
    1Tb (1000Gb) hard drive
    Bluetooth® and 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi connectivity
    DVD reader/writer drive
    USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0 connectors and 2-in-1 card-reader
    720p HD webcam
    HDMI output

OR

Toshiba C55DA13U 15.6" 8GB A6 Quad Core

Graphics Card AMD A6-5200 APU with AMD Radeon™ HD 8400 Graphics
    Hard Drive (GB) 1TB 5400rpm
    Networking Type 10/100 wired network
    Processor AMD A6-5200
    Processor Speed (GHz) 2.00GHz, 600MHz, 2MB
    RAM (GB) 8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Screen Resolution 1,366 x 768
    Screen Size (Inches)Screen Size in Inches 15.6 Inches
    Screen TypeType of Screen HD LED backlit TruBrite
    Sound Features integrated stereo Dts sound

If these are'nt suitable is there a laptop you could recommend.

Thanks.

citeog3 wrote: »
    Hi ,

We're looking to buy a laptop for our son who loves Rome but have'nt a clue what model laptops are suitable.Ive read some of the specs but might as well be reading chinese.We have two models in mind at the moment but dont want to take the guy in the shops opinion alone.Can some kind gamer tell me if the specs of these two are suitable;

----

Thanks.

I'd ask the same question in perhaps this forum;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

Also does it have to be a laptop? Your money will go much further if you spend the same amount on a PC. Unless he needs to be mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

citeog3 wrote: »
    Hi ,

Lenovo G505
    AMD A4-5000 APU processor
    Microsoft Windows 8 operating system
    AMD Radeon™ HD8570M 1Gb graphics
    15.6 inch LED HD display
    8Gb RAM
    1Tb (1000Gb) hard drive
    Bluetooth® and 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi connectivity
    DVD reader/writer drive
    USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0 connectors and 2-in-1 card-reader
    720p HD webcam
    HDMI output

OR

Toshiba C55DA13U 15.6" 8GB A6 Quad Core

Graphics Card AMD A6-5200 APU with AMD Radeon™ HD 8400 Graphics
    Hard Drive (GB) 1TB 5400rpm
    Networking Type 10/100 wired network
    Processor AMD A6-5200
    Processor Speed (GHz) 2.00GHz, 600MHz, 2MB
    RAM (GB) 8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Screen Resolution 1,366 x 768
    Screen Size (Inches)Screen Size in Inches 15.6 Inches
    Screen TypeType of Screen HD LED backlit TruBrite
    Sound Features integrated stereo Dts sound

Thanks.

I'm not sure either of those could struggle to play it on minimum settings. This isn't really a laptop friendly game wallet wise.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Just after buying the Caesar in Gaul campaign pack. I'm probably the only one in fairness! I've put a decent chunk of time into the game and am actually enjoying it despite the issues.

For those that care - a 1.1gb Patch out today with a good few more fixes to AI included. Also another 8.1 patch on way very soon, so for those waiting for the patches to finish, keep waiting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭coolguyrko

Im still really enjoying it. Gaul pack is probably a little overpriced but fun to play. Blood&Gore DLC really makes the game for me.

Advertisement