Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminally ill 16-year-old takes his anti-suicide campaign to RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Very sad to hear this new. Sincere sympathy to his friends and family. I thought him choosing to try and do something positive with his time left was brave and generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

RIP. though I don't believe what he said about suicide is 100% correct.. Easy to say that if you've never experienced it

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

pone2012 wrote: »
    Psychology's a part of my course in university so here's my 2 cents

Im a firm believer that people who want to get help will get help and make an effort, those who dont wont. A big factor here is a persons approach to life be it optimistic or pessimistic.

And to the person who says suicide isnt selfish let me ask you something.

Imagine how it feels to be a mother/father/sibling/partner looking over one of your familys coffins thinking what you could have done/what went wrong,where someone so central to your life is ripped away in a flash never to return.

Dont say it isnt selfish to leave others behind like that.

Nobody is saying suicide doesn't hurt those left behind. Someone suffering from depression who has suicidal thoughts is likely to think those close to them will be better off after the suicide. Depression messes up your thinking like that -I suffer from it myself, so I'm talking from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Even if you don't agree with what he said just read this heartbreaking article and you might like me wonder if it even matters if what he said was right or wrong , he had so many dreams and such hope, its just too tragic to think how another bright young lad's life is just gone
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/donal-walsh-i-wanted-to-live-to-play-for-munster-to-travel-the-whole-world-29194810.html

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

many of us didnt agree with what he said but that woud be no reason to jump for joy when the inevitible happened unless were of a sadistic nature.
    rest in peace to the lad at least he is free of that horrible disease now.

Dave147 wrote: »
    Just wanted to comment on this, "a mental illness is just as real as cancer". While mental illnesses are terrible, comparing them to cancer isn't fair. My cousin is bipolar and has had a tough couple of years, but he's not dying, he has a good chance, as do most people with mental illnesses, they are not a death sentence like cancer so often is.
    just because most mental illnesses doesnt directly lead to passing away doesnt mean they arent life threatening.
    many if not most mental illnesses are indirectly life threatening at severe level,its just as out of the persons control-due to how it affects the persons mental state and cognition-as cancer is.
    and mental illness in many cases is truly a living hell,for some people whose condition is hard to stabilise they are in that state for the rest of their life and its why some mentaly ill people fight for euthanasia [of people with mental illness].

just as may think its an insult to people with cancer to compare the suffering of mental illness,its also an insult to broadcast mental illness as being of automaticaly lesser suffering,unless happen to know everyone across the broad spectrum of mental illness have got no understanding of the suffering involved to make that comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

Donal Walsh sadly passed away earlier this evening. RIP Donal. :(
    Condolences to his family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Just wanted to comment on this, "a mental illness is just as real as cancer". While mental illnesses are terrible, comparing them to cancer isn't fair. My cousin is bipolar and has had a tough couple of years, but he's not dying, he has a good chance, as do most people with mental illnesses, they are not a death sentence like cancer so often is.

I agree i think there is no comparison. RIP Donal

RIP Donal and my sympathies to his family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'm not going to bother getting into the mental illness debate. Suffice to say, I didn't agree with what Donal said.

None of that really matters now, though. Rest in peace, Donal. Condolences to his family and friends. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

He was wrong to say the things he said; Suicide and mental illness will continue to rob young people of their futures just as Cancer robbed Donal Walsh of his.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

So sad, I read the article posted above. Brilliantly written and heartbreaking to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Just wanted to comment on this, "a mental illness is just as real as cancer". While mental illnesses are terrible, comparing them to cancer isn't fair.

Considering many people survive cancer, and for others mental illness can lead to suicide, or make life a misery every day for the rest of the sufferer's life, then I think it is fair. Mental illness is as real as cancer. It's an illness, hence it is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Didn't agree with him but he dealt with his affliction like a champ and had his heart in the right place. He wanted to do right with what little time he knew he had left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭OCorcrainn

RIP Donal, my prayers are with you and your family and friends. I don't care if people thought your views were wrong or right, I don't think the debate is appropriate here now. What matters is that your heart was in the right place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

I can't say I can see how a 16 year old boy could have an understanding of what combination of illness or circumstances drives somebody his own age to suicide, let alone a grown man or woman. With respect to him, he wasn't a medical professional who deals with depression and suicide, so regardless of how much people admire him, they need to separate his plight from his message. His views struck me as being the simplistic views of a teenage boy. That so many seem ready to take his message to heart unquestioningly shows how far we have to go with addressing mental health issues. The fact he had terminal cancer is tragic, but it shouldn't be seen as giving him any special wisdom or insight on the matters of life and death. RIP Donal, Condolences to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Afollower

That article is heartbreaking. He was a special boy whether one agrees with his views or not.
    My heartfelt sympathy to his parents, sister, family and friends. RIP Donal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

RIP Donal. What people need to remember is that mental illness is not terminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

jank wrote: »

It's just as real though, and a lot of the time, the end results are the same: ie, you die. Just because he had a terminal illness does not qualify him to preach or look down or dismiss anyone else's problems or health issues, with that said its very sad that he's passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

severe chronic depression, could be considered terminal, as most will keep trying until they actually die.

just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

jank wrote: »

Wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

you know,
    I don't think the views on mental illness being terminal will change UNTIL, someone with life insurance commits suicide and the family sue because it wasn't "suicide" but the depression/bipolar that killed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I'm stunned by the amount of ignorance on the journal of this issue. Pure tunnel vision, by people who have never been in that place. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Even though with his views on Suicide and Mental Illness were controversial; he had appeared to be a nice young man all the same.

RIP Donal. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

RIP. He held himself with great poise and grace in the face of a terminal illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

RIP Donal,

I neither agree or disagree with what he said. But I think looking at life from his perspective could help and strengthen alot of people. I read his article last night when I heard the sad news, from this day forward whatever obstacles I face I will think of him and his relentless fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I hear what you are all saying about his message.

I'm coming from the background of having a family member who had a mental illness and committed suicide....

I'd agree that in our case, that our family members illness was not a death sentence.....but the thing with suicide in a mental illness situation, is that its not inevitable, but thats not the same as saying its preventable......you can do everything you can (as a sibling) to prevent it happening......but that doesnt mean it wont happen.

Personally, I'm glad he said what he said.

I dont think it was trite. It wasnt a "why dont you people just cheer up" type comment. I think it was particularly aimed at very young people who consider suicide, when they are emotionally immature. I think that is real, it does happen, and his message was an important one.....your life is more valuable that that. Dont give it away so lightly. Fight for it.

I can safely say that my teenage years were the worst years of my life. I was very unhappy. It got better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I can safely say that my teenage years were the worst years of my life. I was very unhappy. It got better.

That's good that your life got better but it isn't the same for everyone and to say that younger people are emotionally immature doesn't mean their issues are any less important or to be taken less seriously than someone who's older and feeling the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

That's good that your life got better but it isn't the same for everyone and to say that younger people are emotionally immature doesn't mean their issues are any less important or to be taken less seriously than someone who's older and feeling the same.

Thats not what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is that when younger people face issues, they are less well equipped to deal with than when they are older....thats what I mean by less emotionally mature.

In my case, I was bullied when I was a teenager. I was very insecure about it, I felt awful, my self confidence was really low. I didnt talk to anyone about it, or get any help.

If that happened now, if someone tried to bully me now, I could deal with it. It might bother me a little, but not a lot. Then, I couldnt deal with it.

Whats changed is that I am more emotionally secure about myself, largely because I am older.

And look, I know I'm only speaking from personal experience. I know everyones situation is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I hear what you are all saying about his message.

I'm coming from the background of having a family member who had a mental illness and committed suicide....

I'd agree that in our case, that our family members illness was not a death sentence.....but the thing with suicide in a mental illness situation, is that its not inevitable, but thats not the same as saying its preventable......you can do everything you can (as a sibling) to prevent it happening......but that doesnt mean it wont happen.

Personally, I'm glad he said what he said.

I dont think it was trite. It wasnt a "why dont you people just cheer up" type comment. I think it was particularly aimed at very young people who consider suicide, when they are emotionally immature. I think that is real, it does happen, and his message was an important one.....your life is more valuable that that. Dont give it away so lightly. Fight for it.

Thats not what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is that when younger people face issues, they are less well equipped to deal with than when they are older....thats what I mean by less emotionally mature.

In my case, I was bullied when I was a teenager. I was very insecure about it, I felt awful, my self confidence was really low. I didnt talk to anyone about it, or get any help.

If that happened now, if someone tried to bully me now, I could deal with it. It might bother me a little, but not a lot. Then, I couldnt deal with it.

Whats changed is that I am more emotionally secure about myself, largely because I am older.

And look, I know I'm only speaking from personal experience. I know everyones situation is different.

Tomo I think you have explained exactly what he was trying to say here. I do think he was addressing young teenagers ans not mentally ill people.I also look back on my teenage years and feel the same way as you about them.I know friends who suffered from depression during those years and who suicide attempts and failed who are now happy and fulfilled adults. For people who serious mental illnesses it doesn't happen but for most teenagers who hit dark days the truth life does get better in adulthood ,it is worth hanging on and fighting through.

When you're 15 and your parents are separating, or when you have no friend in your class of 30 kids and you feel no one will ever like you or "get" you because that's your entire life experience so far, or you feel hideously ugly compared to your friends,or everyone has a bf/gf and you don't then those can be dark days. We look back and laugh now but at the time those issues were impossible to put into perspective and searingly painful for lots of us. Lives are lost over these things. Lives that might have been wonderful.

I think we need to start telling teenagers it genuinely gets better for most people,not that every teenager feeling depressed might be beginning a life of life threatening mental illness.

Also very sorry for your loss Tombo. I think you've probably made some of the best comments in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

FLCL wrote:
    To summarize, this guy is terminally ill and feels "anger" towards young people who commit suicide or are considering it
    While I understand his reasoning i feel it is quite unhelpful.... NO ONE SHOULD BE FORCED TO STAY HERE,each one of us really should be able to decide if we like it here..... Who is he to judge someone who just doesnt feel right,etc about being here??

I dunno......... I feel bad he doesnt seem to have a choice in the matter,I DO HOPE HE FINDS A WAY TO STAY if he wants to but he needs to feel others feelings and why they might not want to stay!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement