Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"THE GRAND NATIONAL" Aintree - Anyone taking a punt on the gee gees?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

€500,000,000,000

Colbert Station E/W.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Id ate me dinner out of her jocks.

What about Claire Balding? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

LordSutch wrote: »
    What about Claire Balding? :)

She'd eat her dinner out of Rebecca Curtis' jocks too ;)

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

yes, nobody talks about how many of the horses get shot after it - maybe if they saw this they might refrain from the 10 seconds worth of excitement. Its barbaric. :mad:

How many have been shot after the race so?

10 seconds? Have you ever even watched the race? :confused:

goose2005 wrote: »
    A lot more people die from injuries out at work than die in the Circus Maximus and where do you think all the gladiators would end up if the Circus was banned? Look at the way people not involved in the sport are treated, but yet people pick on the Circus Maximus where the gladiators have a better life than a lot of people.

This is possibly one of the worst come backs I've ever seen. What a load of absolute nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I was waiting for this thread to pop up, though I thought it'd be after the race as people give out about it.

Love watching the National. Fingers crossed all horses and jockeys get up safe and sound.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The "think of the poor horses" people might like to donate to help feed starving horses abandoned all over the country. Race horses race, that is what they love. My half thoroughbred used to gallop up and down the field for fun with the other horses. Sadly he damaged a tendon and even when in pain he still wanted to be out, racing against the others all the time. So was it cruel to let him???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The usual parade of muppetry and ignorance reveals itself yet again when the Grand National is mentioned.

Quite simply - If a horse doesn't want to run in a race it will refuse to do so, and no amount of persuasion will coax it to do so. Such refusals occur everyday.

The fact is, horses love racing and chase horses like nothing better than a 4 and a half mile run over the fences of Aintree.

Race horses are treated far better than most domestic pets and enjoy a life of comfort when they retire.

If you know nothing about the sport, start up another thread and whinge together there in your shared ignorance.

Leave this one to those of us who enjoy the greatest race on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

How could anyone go wrong with Instant Burger, ridden by Ken O'Meat

Lapin wrote: »
    The usual parade of muppetry and ignorance reveals itself yet again when the Grand National is mentioned.

Quite simply - If a horse doesn't want to run in a race it will refuse to do so, and no amount of persuasion will coax it to do so. Such refusals occur everyday.

Mad Moose did it today and did the same at cheltenham. If a horse doesn't want to run he wont run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Demonical

Lapin wrote: »

The fact is, horses love racing and chase horses like nothing better than a 4 and a half mile run over the fences of Aintree.

Race horses are treated far better than most domestic pets and enjoy a life of comfort when they retire.

If you know nothing about the sport, start up another thread and whinge together there in your shared ignorance.

Leave this one to those of us who enjoy the greatest race on earth.

They love it so much they run until they have a heart attack and die? Horses naturally are prey, they live in a herd, when the herd runs it means there is a predator near and those that are the slowest are likely to be caught and eaten. This is why horses will run.

And true the ones that win races are treated like royalty, what about all the 1000s that do not win? You are hardly trying to tell me they all live a life of comfort when they "retire"?

You are the ignorant one as you obviously know nothing about the "sport" nor the poor animals that are abused for this "sport". These animals have been bred to be light boned so they can run faster. As a result their bones break very easily when they fall.

The usual parade of muppetry and ignorance reveals itself yet again when the Grand National is mentioned. Indeed, as you have so very well demonstrated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

It's as ridiculous to say that there isn't a significant risk involved with the Grand National as it is to say that all horse racing should be banned outright. As a horse lover, I find the Grand National a tough enough watch. My biggest issue with it is the number of runners in the field. Having 40 horses galloping full throttle at those fences is asking for trouble - obscured vision, pile-ups, horses bringing each other down. It makes the whole thing a lot more dangerous than it needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭mobby

Seabass. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Racehorses are not abused in general. The hairy piebald in Smithfield is far more likely to be abused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Demonical wrote: »
    They love it so much they run until they have a heart attack and die? Horses naturally are prey, they live in a herd, when the herd runs it means there is a predator near and those that are the slowest are likely to be caught and eaten. This is why horses will run.

And true the ones that win races are treated like royalty, what about all the 1000s that do not win? You are hardly trying to tell me they all live a life of comfort when they "retire"?

You are the ignorant one as you obviously know nothing about the "sport" nor the poor animals that are abused for this "sport". These animals have been bred to be light boned so they can run faster. As a result their bones break very easily when they fall.

The usual parade of muppetry and ignorance reveals itself yet again when the Grand National is mentioned. Indeed, as you have so very well demonstrated!

Are thoroughbreds animals of prey?

All horses in training live in conditions that surpass most of their work riders. The jumpers are aren't necessarily bred for speed, the most delicate boned would be sprinters, bred to run five furlongs on firm ground, whilst all throughbreds are quite brittle these jumpers are not the most sensitive.

Seabass looks like a good bet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I never study the form when betting on the Grand National, it's always down to the name that takes my fancy or the colour of the jockey's silks.

I bet you apply the same logic to buying a car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I was waiting for this thread to pop up, though I thought it'd be after the race as people give out about it.

Love watching the National. Fingers crossed all horses and jockeys get up safe and sound.

I'll re-phrase that by saying that I hope my horse comes in first and f*ck everybody else

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Housewives tip ' Big Fella Thanks '' @ 40/1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Might as well back Katie Walsh on seabass for the Craic although the favourites rarely win. I'll pick another at random and back it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭DecTipp

Well im not a gambling man but maybe once a year i splash out,what horse should i bet on today to make me a small fortune!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Pick one out of a hat...nothing more scientific than that. Grand National is a lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

My lovely horse, 33-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

A tip? Forget betting, it's for losers. Literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wow, this gambling on ponies is really spilling over from wherever it's usually discussed. 2 threads on AH front page now.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭doubleyoubee

Hard Boiled Egg - it won't be beaten.

Just under six hours to go now . . . .

Seabass for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's on in the afternoon is all I know or want to know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Go into your local bookies and declare as loud as you can 20 to 1 on Hoof Hearted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

I got auroras encore in the sweep at work - he only had two stars beside his name
    :)

Advertisement