Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Eircom sabotaging SKY or is SKY just useless?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danny Boy

Because allegedly sky are selling an unlimited 20mb broadband package to what they hope are the great uniformed, then its contened down in the evenings, so you're only getting 1 or 2 meg, you're not able to download much saving them on the capacity costs they pay to their supplier, and incidentally meaning online services competing with their digital tv product offer a crap experience,

do a search on sky contention and you'll see this is an issue in the uk too,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

AidenL wrote: »
    Why?

Every other provider has Caller ID active - I did when I was with Vodafone and Eircom previously. They admit they don't have it right now.

Congestion - fair enough - all providers have it - yet if you read some of the posts from guys here in the know , they suggest there may be backhaul problems.

Email? Well again, the support guys admit that they haven't been trained in setting up say, a previously existing eircom or other email address through a client like Outlook or Mac Mail. The change during the week at their end from gmail to yahoo mail base has rendered all online support out of date. Is it not fair to expect technical support from support? They do have how tos and FAQs online, and all providers do provide assistance when a change occurs.

Basically, yep, I didn't have any of these problems while with my previous provider. I'm paying my bills, so i don't see how it can be my fault anyway.

I got a call back, couldn't get sorted, I'm promised a further call back Monday. I'm happy to wait for that.

Ok, just to clarify I bolded the problem in my previous post, i.e. the email part. Caller ID and congestion are obviously Skys problem ok.

My point remains, its not Skys responsibility to advise on setting up your email clients other than suppying you with their outgoing email server.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AidenL

Ok, just to clarify I bolded the problem in my previous post, i.e. the email part. Caller ID and congestion are obviously Skys problem ok.

My point remains, its not Skys responsibility to advise on setting up your email clients other than suppying you with their outgoing email server.

Ok,thats your opinion :) Nature of forums.....

They have people inhouse to advise and sort it, so i assume they feel its their responsibility, and that is what counts.

You change voice provider, you keep your old phone number, change BB, you keep your old email.....

Edit: Forgot to say, its not as simple as just slotting in a new outgoing mail server - if it was , I'd have done it - theres a whole other rigamarole to go through due to the gmail and yahoo change over. Believe me, Ive changed it half a dozen times over the past ten years, but this one has me, and many others flummoxed. Theres a thread here somewhere about how complex it is - and its all changed again since Thursday last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I am only getting 1 or 2 meg in the evenings with SKY and its makes a nonsense out of watching youtube or browsing. I was with Eircom before and it was just too expensive before for an 8Mb line.. I was genuinely expecting 20Mb constant speed with Sky (thats what they said I would get).

I didn't read everything here but it seems as though its contention and Sky don't have the capability Eircom has to ensure you get your full line speed ?

Can Sky fix the slow speed ? Its really a joke at this stage. I am thinking of Vodafone but they might not be any better either. I had to move from Eircom because they charge too much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is a habit. From January. :(

Greedy Sky admits: We crippled broadband with TOO MANY users

Quite a few choice comments there too at the end. :)

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is a habit. From January. :(

Greedy Sky admits: We crippled broadband with TOO MANY users

Quite a few choice comments there too at the end. :)

thats the U.K. What is the problem here in Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

aindriu80 wrote: »
    thats the U.K. What is the problem here in Ireland ?

The same thing, obviously. Hurr duurr!

The same thing, obviously. Hurr duurr!

They have to fix this. I was told that it was a problem with a server.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Getting 104kpbs download and 239kpbs upload...Absolutely shocking

Who's gonna make them, Comreg :D:D:D:D:D ?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

If you know anyone in your local area on Sky broadband, encourage them to switch back to their old provider - it will ease up congestion at your exchange.

Thats crap advice Harry . :(

If they have a problem they should formally complain and get released from their contract first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭halkar

Devil you know is better then devil you don't

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Why do "they have to fix this"? There's nobody out there who will make them do anything they don't want to do, we here follow the British model without any analysis or thought. So if they did it in the UK you can be sure they're doing exactly the same here. Certainly not Comreg who are about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

Ha ha, I knew this shít would happen. I talked at length last year about this on another thread on my last account, and I was shot down by the majority of posters telling me that sky was "new" and "different".

The chickens always come home to roost. When will people learn. Eircom are ****érs and always will be, it doesn't matter what it's called, weather it's sky, Vodafone, or anyone else, it's always eircom.

I have never wished for a company to collapse as much as I have wished eircom to collapse. The service is shít, outdated, very expensive and their customer service is a load of bollocks.

Sky me hole, I see the on demand feature is useless these days as well, so long as your connected to "eircom" any how.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Chop Chop wrote: »
    Ha ha, I knew this shít would happen. I talked at length last year about this on another thread on my last account, and I was shot down by the majority of posters telling me that sky was "new" and "different".

The chickens always come home to roost. When will people learn. Eircom are ****érs and always will be, it doesn't matter what it's called, weather it's sky, Vodafone, or anyone else, it's always eircom.

I have never wished for a company to collapse as much as I have wished eircom to collapse. The service is shít, outdated, very expensive and their customer service is a load of bollocks.

Sky me hole, I see the on demand feature is useless these days as well, so long as your connected to "eircom" any how.

Classy post there son :rolleyes:

Dcully wrote: »
    Classy post there son :rolleyes:

Sorry for the expletives, but eircom bring out an unfriendly side to me that even I don't like.

I just don't understand why people go with them? Why?

Sorry for the expletives, but eircom bring out an unfriendly side to me that even I don't like.

I just don't understand why people go with them? Why?

Read my posts in this thread and you just might understand why im going back.

Read my posts in this thread and you just might understand why im going back.

I have read them, but it's still eircom, and a ridiculous money to be paying for junk service.

I have read them, but it's still eircom, and a ridiculous money to be paying for junk service.

Well if they can deliver 15 mb + for me ill be more than happy.
    You need to remember , some of us only have the choice of whatever eircom offer be it from eircom or other providers simply reselling the eircom product.
    If i could get anything better i would.

• Advertisement

Well if they can deliver 15 mb + for me ill be more than happy.
    You need to remember , some of us only have the choice of whatever eircom offer be it from eircom or other providers simply reselling the eircom product.
    If i could get anything better i would.

You are in the same position as I am, if only I could get UPC. I have had to put up with eircom's shenanigans for way too long now. I wouldn't have a problem if line rental was abolished, then it would be in line with UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Well actually, the problem is SKY overselling it's broadband without having adequate backhaul in place.

Eircom NGB is actually a decent product. Certainly not "sh1t".

Well actually, the problem is SKY overselling it's broadband without having adequate backhaul in place.

Eircom NGB is actually a decent product. Certainly not "sh1t".

Not in my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭swoofer

what will be the excuse if fibre is not as good as expected!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's definitely not eircom causing the problem anyway.

As for lack of caller ID, that makes no sense at all. Sounds like their customer care system isn't setup to order it.

CLIP services are available at every eircom exchange & have been for years.

It sounds like sky haven't enough capacity. Remember, they hire or provide their own backhaul networks.

Sky aren't just reselling eircom's product, they're using eircom's access network to deliver their own broadband product.

If they've congested backhaul, it's sky's problem.

I'm glad I stuck with Smart!

I've heard similar stories about sky's network being congested in the UK too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danny Boy

Sky contend their users service down to save money, loads of posts about this on uk forums, they sell 20mb, then contend them down to c2mb, but they can't get away with it any more as customers are more savvy and can see they are being screwed

This can't be Sky's final product. It’s ridiculous. Of course they don't have to fix anything legally but they have to offer some kind of a response as speeds clearly don't match what they say at sales.

It’s either:

1) They don't have the ability to offer customers uncontended broadband
    2) There is a problem with their servers?
    3) They signed up too many customers?

Either way they have to at least tell us that this is it and it’s your tough luck. At least we will know.

This can't be Sky's final product. It’s ridiculous.

It is their final product, unlike in the UK ( which has a proper regulator) they will be allowed to get away with this in Ireland.

Your only option is to formally complain, terminate the contract for non performance once they fail to fix the issues you complain of within 10 days.... and then go to a carrier whose business model includes adequate backhaul.

This can't be Sky's final product. It’s ridiculous. Of course they don't have to fix anything legally but they have to offer some kind of a response as speeds clearly don't match what they say at sales.

It’s either:

1) They don't have the ability to offer customers uncontended broadband
    2) There is a problem with their servers?
    3) They signed up too many customers?

Either way they have to at least tell us that this is it and it’s your tough luck. At least we will know.

One word..........Eircom. It speaks volumes, did sky really believe eircom were a good company that could deliver broadband?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AidenL

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is their final product, unlike in the UK ( which has a proper regulator) they will be allowed to get away with this in Ireland.

Your only option is to formally complain, terminate the contract for non performance once they fail to fix the issues you complain of within 10 days.... and then go to a carrier whose business model includes adequate backhaul.

Sponge Bob,

Who would you recommend ? Im in Donegal, on the Ballyshannon exchange - it is NGB enabled, also its categorised as a WSEA APT Node (whatever that is!!!) - I assume eircom is probably my best bet? No UPC here. I can get 9megs down with Sky when its running well, and I'm happy with that.

I do live a mile from a very large community school - any chance of fibre spillover from there?

Advertisement