Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Eircom sabotaging SKY or is SKY just useless?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Dcully, raise a formal complaint and get off Sky for contract breach. There is no issue with backhaul IN Monastervan any more, the exchange has 2.5gbs for the town if upgraded to NGB. The problem is on Skys national circuits as they will inevitably pick up more customers on Bitstream than on LLU given their rural and small town customer base.

I'll wager there are no issues with Magnet backhaul!

Thanks once again for that mate, but could my line be of different quality to others in the town?
    For example my place is in a cul de sac with only 6 houses total, the other people in the town who are getting 16+ mb seem to be be in newish estates [but further from the exchange], could their lines be of better quality than mine?

Im so so confused at this stage, are these line tests that eircom ,magnet and vodafone have done accurate and why do they differe from sky?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yes. Or eircom could be out of 24mbit cards for now and awaiting surplus stock in the VDSL areas by June. It ain't the backhaul ......for once. :) They are overstocked on ADSL1 cards for which there is no demand anywhere. Yoru line stats ( esp a margin of 15db or higher) will tell you whether it is the line.

They had 600k customers on ADSL1 cards as recently as 3 years back and the storeroom must be awash with them nowadays. :)

Yes. Or eircom could be out of 24mbit cards for now and awaiting surplus stock in the VDSL areas by June. It ain't the backhaul for once. :)

Yes as in the their line tests are accurate?

Sorry but i jsut need to be sure thats what you mean.

Here are my line stats, what should i achieve with them?

stats are

7168 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 18.0 dB 12.0 dB
    Noise Margin 14.3 dB 19.19 dB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Dcully wrote: »
    Yes as in the their line tests are accurate?

Sorry but i jsut need to be sure thats what you mean.

Here are my line stats, what should i achieve with them?

stats are

7168 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 18.0 dB 12.0 dB
    Noise Margin 14.3 dB 19.19 dB

You should easily get 18mbit+ with those stats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

cork_south wrote: »
    Is my attenuation/noise OK?
    Connection Speed
    12286 kbps (down) 670 kbps (up)

Line Attenuation 26.0 dB (down) 15.0 dB (up)
    Noise Margin 13.7 dB (down) 24.24 dB (up)

I'd expect better speeds with your attenuation and noise margin. I presume you tried to turn it off and back on again to resync?
    GarIT wrote: »
    With Eircom each person has their own connection to the internet. With Sky you share your connection with 48 other people. So with Eircom when you pay for 24mb that's just for yourself, when your with sky and you pay for 24mb you are sharing that 24mb with 48 of your neighbours.

That's not true. I'm on a LLU exchange and my speed has never dropped below the max available, and my pings are 20ms lower than they were on Eircom 24Mbit NGB.

To make a general statement that Eircom are uncontended (which they aren't, even on NGB) and that sky operate 48:1 contention on all their network isn't right.
    I think people on LLU exchanges in big towns are fine. The problem is confined to those on around 850 smaller non LLU exchanges and some of those smaller exchanges will convert to VDSL later this year and the problem will go away.

If you are looking at a non LLU non VDSL scenario for the foreseeable future then you have a problem and should change to a provider with adequate bitstream backhaul. Sky have grossly oversold their backhaul, they are not the first to so do either. :(

Agreed. Large LLU exchanges are fine. On the smaller bitstream ones, sky have seriously oversold themselves. There were cases where exchanges with aound 24Mbits of toal backhaul and 3Mbit limits set for Eircom customers had sky customers syncing at ridiculous rates.

• Advertisement

There were cases where exchanges with aound 24Mbits of total backhaul and 3Mbit limits set for Eircom customers had sky customers syncing at ridiculous rates.

There are exchanges with 16-32mbits of backhaul for EVERYBODY and eircom often restrict the max speed package to 2 or 3 mbits for all operators. even if sky free synch to top adsl1 speeds the ip port is still set to 2 or 3 mbits but that is all the time.

The problem with SKY is that they offer unlimited packages which hammer the backhaul. I would think that as many as 200 exchanges have miniscule backhaul in place, these are disproportionately small rural exchanges where Sky TV has quite high household penetration....seeing as MMDS is complete shíte. :)

However chronic contentionin the evening has been noted on NGB exchanges which have 2.5gbit backhaul ( a CWDM wavelength over fibre in the main) and that points to SKY not dimensioning their Bitstream backhaul properly. For eg Galway/Roscommon/South Mayo all of these rural exchanges feed into Mervue and SKY need to have adequate backhaul Galway - Dublin to handle their customers requirements.

There are only 8 pops outside of Dublin and everyone is ultimately connected to:

Rathedmond ( Sligo Leitrim Donegal N Mayo)
    Mervue (Galway S Roscommon S Mayo)
    Limerick Roches ST ( Limerick Clare Kerry)
    Churchfield and Quaker Road (Cork)
    Waterford ( Waterford and s Tipp and Carlow Wexford s leinster)
    Portlaoise (Mid Leinster poss Kildare)
    Mullingar (N Leinster and Cavan Monaghan)
    Summerhill ( N Dublin maybe Meath part)
    Dolphins Barn (W Dublin maybe Kildare Meath parts)
    Priory Park ( S Dublin maybe N wicklow)

The problem may be worse on some pops than on others, I reckon Dublin will be grand somehow. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AidenL

Cabaal wrote: »
    Just because one customer has a poor experience doesn't mean you will in fairness,

There are many people on this forum including myself that have switched to Sky without any problems, I get 17mb on my line throughout the day for example.

What speed in the evening though?

Lads, do you think Sky can actually fix this problem? Or is it going to remain forever.

They still have no Caller ID available either would you believe? Not on my line anyway.....

Heres my stats now, what should I be able to get?

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 9460 kbps 670 kbps
    Line Attenuation 38.5 dB 19.9 dB
    Noise Margin 7.0 dB 20.20 dB

Heres what I am getting :o

2623213711.png

I would have thought you good for perhaps 3mbits with those stats.

I think people on LLU exchanges in big towns are fine. The problem is confined to those on around 850 smaller non LLU exchanges and some of those smaller exchanges will convert to VDSL later this year and the problem will go away.

If you are looking at a non LLU non VDSL scenario for the foreseeable future then you have a problem and should change to a provider with adequate bitstream backhaul. Sky have grossly oversold their backhaul, they are not the first to so do either. :(

Hiya,

Who would that be then, is it back to Eircom then? I am on a small rural exchange.....

• Advertisement

I would have thought you good for perhaps 3mbits with those stats.

I have been getting 8megs down when going well, 9 sometimes??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

I sent a complaint on their website about the speeds in the evening and mentioned that they might have too many customers for them to handle. Here's their response.
    Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre.

I am very sorry to hear that you are experiencing slower than expected download speeds with your Sky Broadband & Talk service. I can assure you this has nothing to do with the volume of customers we have but what I would advise is that you call our technical team in Dublin directly on 0818 762 917 and they will happily troubleshoot any issues you are having on a more personal level. (Calls to all our contact centres are FREE when using your Sky Talk landline) This may just be a simple fix however they will be in a position to test your line to find out what is causing your service to run slowly. In the mean time please see the link below for some troubleshooting steps you can try yourself. Once again please accept our sincere apologies for any frustration this has caused you.

http://help.sky.com/broadband/broadband-speeds/fix-a-slow-broadband-connection?country=ie

I hope this helps with your enquiry and please feel free to reply to my email if you require any further information or if I can help you in any other way.

Thanks,

Derek

Sky Help Centre

Just off the phone to sky,got though with them this time and said they are in breach of contract not supplying me with speed my line can go to.
    Once they checked the notes on my account plus the hassle i explained in earlier post about two accounts etc they agreed to release me from my contract without charge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Does anybody have an idea what kind of speeds I could potentially get with these stats on Sky):

SNR Margin 23.5 db
    Line Attenuation 9.0 db
    Data Rate 7168kbps
    Max Rate 12512 kbps
    POWER 11.5 dbm
    CRC 0

Obviously seems to be c. 12M, but only synced at 7M. Get c. 6M, which is twice what I got with Vodafone!

Does anybody have an idea what kind of speeds I could potentially get with these stats on Sky):

Thems very good stats, near enough 24 I'd say.
    Obviously seems to be c. 12M, but only synced at 7M. Get c. 6M, which is twice what I got with Vodafone!

You may be on a small ruralish exchange which only offers max 7mbits or so anyway, the 12mbits could be a 'health check value...not what is on offer in your exchange which is rather close to you I suspect.

Thems very good stats, near enough 24 I'd say.
    Drool.......

You may be on a small ruralish exchange which only offers max 7mbits or so anyway, the 12mbits could be a 'health check value...not what is on offer in your exchange which is rather close to you I suspect.
    Quite possibly - it's a large estate in a rural-ish area. The map in your sig seems to indicate a VDSL cabinet in the estate though - potentially good news?

It is good news for you, 70mbits this year some time. :)

It is good news for you, 70mbits this year some time. :)

If that happens I won't know what to do with myself!

Go out to the VDSL cabinet on the map and confirm it is there for starters. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I may be witnessing a miracle right in front of my eyes, Its almost 7pm and my Sky broadband connection is still showing 12mb instead of 1.5mb in the evenings!

Maybe all the bitching got thru??? :confused:

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement

I may be witnessing a miracle right in front of my eyes, Its almost 7pm and my Sky broadband connection is still showing 12mb instead of 1.5mb in the evenings!

Maybe all the bitching got thru??? :confused:

Mine is still down at less than 2 :rolleyes:

Happy out, sky allowed me to cancel without any financial penalty as i said above.
    I rang eircom and ordered up to 24 mb uncongested,unlimited broadband, they guarantee 15 mb minimum but i should see 16-18 mb.
    As a welcome back and since ive never been in arrears with them over the years they are throwing €180 of credit into my account :)

So no penalty from sky and a welcome back bonus from eircom, is win win :)
    At last some good news for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

But it's not really unlimited!

But it's not really unlimited!

"This is subject to a fair usage policy which is a massive 500GB per month which allows you to stream, download, and browse a massive amount of content without the worry of excess usage charges."

500 GB = unlimited for my needs.

"This is subject to a fair usage policy which is a massive 500GB per month which allows you to stream, download, and browse a massive amount of content without the worry of excess usage charges."

500 GB = unlimited for my needs.

I always wondered why they just dont call it 500gb cap, how they get away with unlimited is beyond me.

However Im off topic.

My Sky connection is still holding up at 8pm, which hasnt happened in weeks!

Failing again, back down to under 3mb from 12mb this morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Just off the phone to sky,got though with them this time and said they are in breach of contract not supplying me with speed my line can go to.
    Once they checked the notes on my account plus the hassle i explained in earlier post about two accounts etc they agreed to release me from my contract without charge :)

Such a shame it didnt work out for you but at least you can get out of the contract without penalty.

Hope I'm not putting the mockers on myself but I haven't had any issues since singing up a fee months back.

I'm just off the phone after 30 mins on hold.

Got chatting to a nice guy in support, outlined my three problems.

1 No caller ID - this is a nationwide problem, yet to be resolved.
    2. Speed drop offs - I suggested congestion - he said they haven't had many calls?
    3. Email redirect from the new Yahoo emails to my Mac Mail client, while keeping my old email address. he said they havent been trained on it yet.

Meantime, I'm getting this down at the moment , which i'm happy with - pity it won't last the night.

2626953329.png

I suppose its a rock and a hard place for someone like me who is rural based. Will i get less congestion at peak times if I move? Probably not?

Sky in the meantime is the cheapest of Eircom and Vodafone. Surely they have the resources to make this work as well as anyone?

I do think they are suffering major teething problems though.

One thing I like about Sky I must admit is the employment they have created in Ireland - they deserve support for that - and thats why I'm not cancelling just yet. I'm awaiting a call back to resolve my email problems - lets hope it happens later today, or my faith will take a dent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

AidenL wrote: »
    I'm just off the phone after 30 mins on hold.

Got chatting to a nice guy in support, outlined my three problems.

1 No caller ID - this is a nationwide problem, yet to be resolved.
    2. Speed drop offs - I suggested congestion - he said they haven't had many calls?
    3. Email redirect from the new Yahoo emails to my Mac Mail client, while keeping my old email address. he said they havent been trained on it yet.

Meantime, I'm getting this down at the moment , which i'm happy with - pity it won't last the night.

2626953329.png

I suppose its a rock and a hard place for someone like me who is rural based. Will i get less congestion at peak times if I move? Probably not?

Sky in the meantime is the cheapest of Eircom and Vodafone. Surely they have the resources to make this work as well as anyone?

I do think they are suffering major teething problems though.

One thing I like about Sky I must admit is the employment they have created in Ireland - they deserve support for that - and thats why I'm not cancelling just yet. I'm awaiting a call back to resolve my email problems - lets hope it happens later today, or my faith will take a dent.

Just curious but why do you think this is Skys problem, they are only providing a DSL service.

• Advertisement

Just curious but why do you think this is Skys problem, they are only providing a DSL service.

Why?

Every other provider has Caller ID active - I did when I was with Vodafone and Eircom previously. They admit they don't have it right now.

Congestion - fair enough - all providers have it - yet if you read some of the posts from guys here in the know , they suggest there may be backhaul problems.

Email? Well again, the support guys admit that they haven't been trained in setting up say, a previously existing eircom or other email address through a client like Outlook or Mac Mail. The change during the week at their end from gmail to yahoo mail base has rendered all online support out of date. Is it not fair to expect technical support from support? They do have how tos and FAQs online, and all providers do provide assistance when a change occurs.

Basically, yep, I didn't have any of these problems while with my previous provider. I'm paying my bills, so i don't see how it can be my fault anyway.

I got a call back, couldn't get sorted, I'm promised a further call back Monday. I'm happy to wait for that.

Advertisement