Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of people who never marry?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Ranicand wrote: »
    Autism is a spectrum with Aspergers being part of it.

It affects people to different degrees.

People with Autism tend to think in logical terms.

You have called bull yet you have done Zero reading to back it up.

Some people with the condition can form relationships and some can't.

There is a saying when you have met one person with Aspergers you have met one person with Aspergers.

You can read the rest here. http://www.asperger-advice.com/asperger-syndrome-behavior.html

you need to get off this thread, this is AH, it will not end well for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

you need to get off this thread, this is AH, it will not end well for you

Fine I tend to go on.

But my original point stands looking down on somebody because they are not in a relationship is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Some people with the condition can form relationships and some can't.

There is a saying when you have met one person with Aspergers you have met one person with Aspergers.

Some people without the condition can't form relationships either, or find it very difficult.

Not quite sure what point you're trying to make here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Fine I tend to go on.

But my original point stands looking down on somebody because they are not in a relationship is wrong.

looking down on anybody for any reason is wrong mate, dont mean we all dont do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Perhaps we should get back to the question at hand?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Gongoozler wrote: »
    i have relations who have been single their entire lives

I just think that's incredibly sad that someone never experienced all the amazing/wonderful/horrible/mad feelings that come with a relationship. I guess we never miss what we've never come to know though so it makes little difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I honestly believe that couples who never get legally married have a better chance at a lasting happy relationship. Security can cause people to get lazy.
    Last time I brought up this viewpoint though I also stirred up an absolute hornet's nest of controversy, so I think this time, to quote my favourite Irish YouTube star, I'll "leave it bleedin' ouuuuuuu" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Mod
    The Asperger's debate, interesting though it is, is completely off topic. Can we get back to the original debate here?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Honestly sometimes I worry that they're lonely, but for the most part if they seem "getalongwithable" I just assume their singleness is a choice rather than something they can't control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Big ball of WTF going around my brain after reading the last few pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

LizT wrote: »
    Mod
    The Asperger's debate, interesting though it is, is completely off topic. Can we get back to the original debate here?

This is After Hours, as long as we're still roughly in the same universe as the OP we're good to go I think? >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tearwave

I just think that's incredibly sad that someone never experienced all the amazing/wonderful/horrible/mad feelings that come with a relationship.

Some people never experienced all the amazing/wonderful/horrible/mad feelings that come with taking LSD either -doesn't mean it's right for everyone or warrant your "sadness" for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Yo Liz, what's TCH and why can't I access it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

When I was in my teens I thought they were sad and lonely and I wondered what must be wrong with them to end up like that.

Now though I realise that I will most likely be the same and I really don't give a f#ck what people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

The only thing I think is that I do not know the whole story and so I shouldn't even think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

PM her and ask her.

Each to their own really.

There's way to much emphasis in this country on getting married.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tearwave

"Yo Liz" ? Do you know this person in a formal capacity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

I think people who expect people to automatically pair off, like swans are birdbrains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

I lost track is this an assburgers thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Tearwave wrote: »

What's it to you, Tear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Tearwave wrote: »

And which formal world do you meander round that uses Yo as the formal introduction?

For the ontopic part, em, I'm not sure it is really that big of a deal. Admittedly I haven't really been single in the last 20 years, but still, I'm sure they're grand.

Don't make me tap the sign.

LizT wrote: »
    Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

no one ever heard of asexuals then? thats a pretty damn big group of people; many of whom will never marry-through choice.
    people who think its awful or 'sad' for anyone to go through life never marrying need to get some life experience behind them instead of judging from a closed mind,applying their thinking to everyone else doesnt work on a species which every member of thinks independantly and differently.

to give the thread another perspective,very few people with classic autism or intelectual disability get married as we are patronisingly considered to lack the mental capacity needed to make that decision,even amongst those who do have a girl or boy fiend.
    an ex resident with downs that used to live with always wanted a girlfriend but he was never able to have one,let alone future marrige because we live in residential care and the services do not take into account that residents may actualy have the interest to have a boyfriend or girlfriend,there is no support for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

Yes it's called Aspergers and people like me find it impossible to form and maintain relationships.

Yes being born with a condition makes us weird and people have every right to look down on us.

However if I catch anybody looking down on me they had better run fast.

Stupid thread what business is it of yours or anybody else what relationships people do not have?

*facepalm*

I'm diagnosed with AS and I have a relationship. We're even planning to marry. Stop using your condition as a crutch.

Whats your general opinion of people who never marry, or get into relationships? I mean people well past 25, and all the way up into their 60 beyond who have never had a life partner

Your OP is a bit all over the place. You jump from "marriage" to "life partner" as if they are some how synonyms.

For example I am in a relationship that has been going on for over 9 years now and all signs and intentions behind it are that it is for life.

But we can not - nor are we permitted to - nor do we wish to - marry.

So do you mean people who never marry? People who never have a life partner? Both? Its all a bit vague for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Your OP is a bit all over the place. You jump from "marriage" to "life partner" as if they are some how synonyms.

For example I am in a relationship that has been going on for over 9 years now and all signs and intentions behind it are that it is for life.

But we can not - nor are we permitted to - nor do we wish to - marry.

So do you mean people who never marry? People who never have a life partner? Both? Its all a bit vague for me.

I'm sorry. I mean both. To put it in internet terms "foreveralone" people. Whether it be by choice, or by simply not being able to get a partner/whatever due to other factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I remember a similar study amongst Irish people living in London. Males who had a life partner lived longer, higher death rates mostly attributable to alcoholism, women the opposite.

However, I think people can live very Fulfilled lives without a life partner, but they do tend to form that bond with something else, work, pets, sport etc.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry. I mean both. To put it in internet terms "foreveralone" people. Whether it be by choice, or by simply not being able to get a partner/whatever due to other factors.

Well your question seems to be "what do we think of such people"

I think the same of them as I do of all people...

"there goes someone who is choosing to live their life their way, while I live my life my way"

What more do you expect us to think of them?

Advertisement