Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Korea v USA Mega Merge.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Because that would be idiotic?
    Why couldn't it have been them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Its not really North Korea's MO. Much more likely to be home grown or Arab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

old hippy wrote: »
    What, no flounce? I'm outraged.

Anyways, did you see the Panorama documentary? Did you find it staged? Did you buy the propaganda? And am I talking about Sweeney's propaganda or Pyongyangs?

Or should they have sent a SWAT team in, instead?

Yes,I did see it and as a poster said earlier it was fairly similar to the Vince documentary.It was fairly packed in to a 30 minute slot though would have preferred an hour.Very strange/mysterious country.

Ah will you ever cop on will you!You're like a child,what does sending in a SWAT team got to do with the Panorama tonight..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It could've been. It's just as likely though that it was the Vietnamese launching a counter-attack against the Vietnam War.

Holy F**k they have a subway ?:eek:

As it 'foot long' subway ? ;)

Had Panorama on pause while I went to make a cuppa and a sandwich, then the phone rang. By the time I got back to the TV, my daughter was in front of it watching the fecking Kardashians!!!! Missed a whole chunk of the documentary.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Yes,I did see it and as a poster said earlier it was fairly similar to the Vince documentary.It was fairly packed in to a 30 minute slot though would have preferred an hour.Very strange/mysterious country.

Ah will you ever cop on will you!You're like a child,what does sending in a SWAT team got to do with the Panorama tonight..

It certainly takes a fair amount of cop to suggest an invasion and wiping out the leadership. If only I'd thought of that.

If you want to learn more about NK, there's the Barbara Demmick book I recommended earlier; Nothing to Envy. Then you'll see that there's a bit more to it than marching in and tidying up the Kim mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Guarantee its home grown
    My bets is on some local Gun Nut protesting gun control,

In saying that
    Bomb attack in Iraq
    Bomb and gun attack in somalia after new government was officially recognised by the international community,

If the person or persons is Korean god help them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

What, no flounce? I'm outraged.

Anyways, did you see the Panorama documentary? Did you find it staged? Did you buy the propaganda? And am I talking about Sweeney's propaganda or Pyongyangs?

Or should they have sent a SWAT team in, instead?

go visit the place, and i don't mean walking to the other side of a blue hut in panmunjom. how do you feel that panorama was trying to trick us with propaganda out of interest?

go visit the place, and i don't mean walking to the other side of a blue hut in panmunjom. how do you feel that panorama was trying to trick us with propaganda out of interest?

I'm playing the devils advocate with the poster in question.

I'm sure the BBC coverage was their usual impartial excellence, I expect nothing less. Although maybe they went about it the wrong way.

So you've been to NK, then? Lucky you. Unfortunately, my wife has no urge to go to past the DMZ. It used to be a thing about kidnapping Japanese in the past! Also, I would have to lie about the nature of my work to get in the country & as much as I'd like to see it for myself, I wouldn't want to get in any trouble.

So, when did you go & where did you visit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

It certainly takes a fair amount of cop to suggest an invasion and wiping out the leadership. If only I'd thought of that.

If you want to learn more about NK, there's the Barbara Demmick book I recommended earlier; Nothing to Envy. Then you'll see that there's a bit more to it than marching in and tidying up the Kim mess.

Yes that's an excellent book a real eye opener. Its very good on North Koreans who manage to escape and the profound shock they experience in adjusting to life in free countries. If North Koreans are ever set free virtually the whole population will need to be de-programmed as if they have been in a massive cult (which they have).

• Advertisement

Wattle wrote: »
    Yes that's an excellent book a real eye opener. Its very good on North Koreans who manage to escape and the profound shock they experience in adjusting to life in free countries. If North Koreans are ever set free virtually the whole population will need to be de-programmed as if they have been in a massive cult (which they have).

I watched a documentary on the Jonestown massacre not so long ago & it is truly terrifying how people can be conditioned like that. And the problem with DPRK is they've had 60 years of it. Re-unification would be a seismic shock to both Koreas.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Wattle wrote: »

Well lets hope that, heaven forbid, no one goes setting them free. Better to give the mentalists what they want and wait for the regime to just fall over of its own accord. Which it's been doing for the last 40 years

Brotherhood of man stuff alright.

I'm playing the devils advocate with the poster in question.

I'm sure the BBC coverage was their usual impartial excellence, I expect nothing less. Although maybe they went about it the wrong way.

So you've been to NK, then? Lucky you. Unfortunately, my wife has no urge to go to past the DMZ. It used to be a thing about kidnapping Japanese in the past! Also, I would have to lie about the nature of my work to get in the country & as much as I'd like to see it for myself, I wouldn't want to get in any trouble.

So, when did you go & where did you visit?

i was actually surprised that he was able to ask questions at the hospital with the camera there and not get any hassle. the guides usually just avoid anything they don't want to answer. it was a pretty accurate documentary really. the propaganda that they try to sell you actually begins when you cross into NK airspace, there was an announcement that we had crossed a line where the fearless president and his men fought off some bears! it's so laughable really. i'll attach a photo of the front page of the pyongyang times. you'll need to zoom in to read it though.

i was there in 2008, this time of year for the president's birthday. if they could build a big wall either side of the road between pyongyang and kaesong near the DMZ, they would, to prevent you seeing how desolate the place is. they may have the 4th biggest army in the world, but a lot of them are out doing menial things like pushing broken farm machinery around, cutting down trees etc.

the main cities are full of the party faithful. there won't be anything like a popular uprising for a hell of a long time. there may be some military struggles but as long as the elite are kept sweet, there's no reason why they should act. they all live in a few square miles of pyongyang, apparently the plush suburbs. if you wanted to launch something militarily, that would be a place to start!

are you a journalist? it was the only profession that the tour company wouldn't take in.

Bambi wrote: »
    Well lets hope that, heaven forbid, no one goes setting them free. Better to give the mentalists what they want and wait for the regime to just fall over of its own accord. Which it's been doing for the last 40 years

Brotherhood of man stuff alright.

And what would you do, dear?

(prepares to go round in circles, yet again)

i was actually surprised that he was able to ask questions at the hospital with the camera there and not get any hassle. the guides usually just avoid anything they don't want to answer. it was a pretty accurate documentary really. the propaganda that they try to sell you actually begins when you cross into NK airspace, there was an announcement that we had crossed a line where the fearless president and his men fought off some bears! it's so laughable really. i'll attach a photo of the front page of the pyongyang times. you'll need to zoom in to read it though.

i was there in 2008, this time of year for the president's birthday. if they could build a big wall either side of the road between pyongyang and kaesong near the DMZ, they would, to prevent you seeing how desolate the place is. they may have the 4th biggest army in the world, but a lot of them are out doing menial things like pushing broken farm machinery around, cutting down trees etc.

the main cities are full of the party faithful. there won't be anything like a popular uprising for a hell of a long time. there may be some military struggles but as long as the elite are kept sweet, there's no reason why they should act. they all live in a few square miles of pyongyang, apparently the plush suburbs. if you wanted to launch something militarily, that would be a place to start!

are you a journalist? it was the only profession that the tour company wouldn't take in.

Sounds fantastic - well, not fantastic, you know what I mean. I was in SK and the DMZ in 2008, as well. Around this time of year, iirc. Yes, lets say I've done some journalism and it wouldn't be a profession that would be welcomed with open arms in Pyongyang...

Sounds fantastic - well, not fantastic, you know what I mean. I was in SK and the DMZ in 2008, as well. Around this time of year, iirc. Yes, lets say I've done some journalism and it wouldn't be a profession that would be welcomed with open arms in Pyongyang...

it is fantastic indeed, in the worst sense of the word.

good blog here about how life goes on in NK.

http://www.koryogroup.com/blog/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

And what would you do, dear?

(prepares to go round in circles, yet again)

As a private individual? If my prime directive was "american intervention is always bad m'kay" I'd probably at least admit that rather than pretend that I could give a f**k about the people of north korea.

Weird eh?

Bambi wrote: »
    As a private individual? If my prime directive was "american intervention is always bad m'kay" I'd probably at least admit that rather than pretend that I could give a f**k about the people of north korea.

Weird eh?

You certainly are. Keep up with the assumptions, though. This Bambi sure doesn't change its spots; you got form for this kind of thing. Who'd a thunk it; a deer crying crocodile tears?

I care an awful deal about the people of DPRK, which is why I don't think military action is the correct or clever way forward. M'kay?

And as for US intervention? I'm fully behind John Kerry's brave trip to the region & hope that he's awoken a proper sense of responsibilty in Beijing.

Now run along, Bambi.

any chance of less condescending posts please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Now run along, Bambi.

You're one of the most antagonising posters on boards at the moment. Your arrogance is breathtaking.

• Advertisement

any chance of less condescending posts please?

I'm trying but like must be met with like.

bohsboy wrote: »
    You're one of the most antagonising posters on boards at the moment. Your arrogance is breathtaking.

Thanks for your input but I'm not here for any popularity contests. Where do you stand on the unfolding events, btw?

Military options

All out invasion (been its Korea is it really an invasion when your the rightful citizen's of the country)

Aerial bombing campaign taking out com's and military leadership.

Specific target selection

We know there no nuclear option

Complete starvation of the population (good old fashion siege)

Yeah military action is the best course,as we've seen the last 40 years negotiations are like pissing against the wind.

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Yeah military action is the best course,as we've seen the last 40 years negotiations are like pissing against the wind.

And dragging East Asia into a war that nobody wants will make a difference, will it?

And dragging East Asia into a war that nobody wants will make a difference, will it?

Who doesn't want it ,

Money speaks and unification of a country is big
    business,

South Korea wants it
    Japan wants it
    China want's it

Construction
    Infrastructure
    Modernisation

They all want a piece of the pie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Gatling wrote: »
    Who doesn't want it ,

Money speaks and unification of a country is big business

You do know the last Korean war was a disaster, right?

Gatling wrote: »
    Who doesn't want it ,

Money speaks and unification of a country is big business

China doesn't want it. South Korea doesn't want it. Japan doesn't want it. The USA doesn't want it.

This is not Iraq, this is an entirely different scenario.

I think a lot of people want it including USA themselves,sure better chance of improving the country eventually rather than negotiations.

• Advertisement

it really wouldn't take long. it all depends on china though.

Advertisement