Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Ososlo wrote: »
    what kind of recovery do you mean Dilbert?

Just that you can't put yourself under pressure all the time and expect your body to cope - sooner or later it will protest. That's not to say you need to rest totally but you need at least a couple of days gentle exercise in the week to balance the harder stuff. Maybe your plan has that covered already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Just that you can't put yourself under pressure all the time and expect your body to cope - sooner or later it will protest. That's not to say you need to rest totally but you need at least a couple of days gentle exercise in the week to balance the harder stuff. Maybe your plan has that covered already.

ah yeah I get what you're saying alright. sensible advice. Most of what I do would be considered gentle/recovery paced running so I think I'm ok. I don't think i'm putting myself any major pressure even though I'm doing high enough mileage (for me). Thanks Dilbert:)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ronan1986

Last 7 days have been a bit of a write off.

Managed only 2 days in the gym, doing various weight exercises (not particularly running related apart from legs day).

As for the running. 2 runs in the pat 7 days.

Both 6.5km. 27-28 mins for both runs.

Happy with the times, but not the number of runs...

At this rate im a million miles from a marathon. Gonna push on for a 10km tni

vitani wrote: »
    If there was a prize for commitment, I think you'd win it. Best of luck throughout the training - I'll be watching with interest.

Enjoy the birthday celebrations!

thanks vitani! you can learn from my mistakes for next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Have my name down for the DCM (My first marathon)

Was starting training from a decent plateau having ran sub 2hours in the Connemara Half Marathon in April. However picked up an injury or two since that, have taken it very easy running that past two weeks with only about 35km done in past two and a half weeks. Taking a complete week off at the moment to rest the leg and it is amazing how anxious I am getting, thinking that I will not be ready (Even though the DCM is 5 1/2 months away yet) I know I am being stupid but Im freaking ou, thinking my fitness is seeping out of me every night I dont run etc etc

I am planning to follow the Training routine that was posted in here a few weeks back specifically for this thread (Thanks for that by the way)

Can someone reassure me that if I take it very easy until 24th June (Proposed start date for the training routine) I will be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    Have my name down for the DCM (My first marathon)

Was starting training from a decent plateau having ran sub 2hours in the Connemara Half Marathon in April. However picked up an injury or two since that, have taken it very easy running that past two weeks with only about 35km done in past two and a half weeks. Taking a complete week off at the moment to rest the leg and it is amazing how anxious I am getting, thinking that I will not be ready (Even though the DCM is 5 1/2 months away yet) I know I am being stupid but Im freaking ou, thinking my fitness is seeping out of me every night I dont run etc etc

I am planning to follow the Training routine that was posted in here a few weeks back specifically for this thread (Thanks for that by the way)

Can someone reassure me that if I take it very easy until 24th June (Proposed start date for the training routine) I will be fine!
    Don't worry. You won't lose your fitness base in a couple of weeks. It's much better to give yourself plenty of time now to get over any injuries you have. When you start back you'll be a bit rusty for the first run or two but it won't take long to get back into it. The most common mistake people make when they are returning from injuries is to start back at the same level they were at before they got injured. This leads to further/different injuries because your body can't cope. So make sure when you start back you take things nice and easy.

It might be no harm to do some stretches and some light core work

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Don't worry. You won't lose your fitness base in a couple of weeks. It's much better to give yourself plenty of time now to get over any injuries you have. When you start back you'll be a bit rusty for the first run or two but it won't take long to get back into it. The most common mistake people make when they are returning from injuries is to start back at the same level they were at before they got injured. This leads to further/different injuries because your body can't cope. So make sure when you start back you take things nice and easy.

It might be no harm to do some stretches and some light core work

Thanks career_move - I know I am being a bit dramatic, but at the same time it is good to get some reassurance especially as I am a first timer when it comes to the Marathon. This is also the first time since I started running (2 years) that I have had to contend with a persistent injury.

Thanks for the links also, I am going to concentrate on going out on the bike to replace the running, this will not affect the injury (knee and groin) I am also doing Pilates for the core at the moment. Stretching though is something I always neglect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Yeah I'd agree, I think it got a bit competitive on the dcm graduates site for a while there. Competitiveness is great when you have experience or come from a sporting backgroud but not so good when you've not much experience.

Big Logger wrote: »
    Yeah I'd agree, I think it got a bit competitive on the dcm graduates site for a while there. Competitiveness is great when you have experience or come from a sporting backgroud but not so good when you've not much experience.

good point. i noticed that too with the graduates. the only person I'm competitive with is myself which i would consider a positive thing in order to improve

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

Joining this thread again for 2013. I was due to run New York marathon in 2012 (week after Dublin) but it was canceled so hoping for my first marathon this year. Started running at the beginning of 2012. Haven't done much running since Christmas as I was traveling and now have an extra stone to lug around on runs. Had massive amounts of fun gaining it so can't complain too much! Am back on the straight and narrow now and excited to get going again

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Central Park 4 miles: Aug 2012 41:29
    Queens 10k: June 2012 1:12
    Bronx 10 mile: Sept 2012 1:46
    Staten Island Half: Oct 2012 2:21

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    No.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level
    Running 3 or 4 times a week, 3 miles during the week and a longer run at weekends but just getting back into it. Normally do bootcamps/gym as well but not at the minute.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Under 4:45 would be a massive achievement for me but realistically probably aiming for under 5. I would like to bring my half time down to 2:15 and 10k under one hour (I was getting closer to this towards the end of my training but didn't do any races)

How many days a week can you train ?
    Ran 4 days a week and cross trained 1 day last year.

Why are you running this marathon ?
    I love running (when I get into it) and really want to complete a marathon for the challenge.

• Advertisement

good point. i noticed that too with the graduates. the only person I'm competitive with is myself which i would consider a positive thing in order to improve

I wouldn't agree it got competitive - but I certainly fell into the trap of expecting the same progress from myself that others were making, irrespective of our different individual circumstances. I never once thought that I wanted to exceed anything but my own expectations. I'm delighted for everyone who met their targets and empathise with the others who didn't.

I wouldn't agree it got competitive - but I certainly fell into the trap of expecting the same progress from myself that others were making, irrespective of our different individual circumstances. I never once thought that I wanted to exceed anything but my own expectations. I'm delighted for everyone who met their targets and empathise with the others who didn't.

Well Dilbert, that is competitiveness which you're describing there in my opinion. I'm not saying you wanted to beat anyone else but you would've been trying to keep up with the Jones' so to speak :D:D:D

Big Logger wrote: »
    Well Dilbert, that is competitiveness which you're describing there in my opinion. I'm not saying you wanted to beat anyone else but you would've been trying to keep up with the Jones' so to speak :D:D:D

I disagree. Simply put - you'll know when I'm competing with you because I won't let you ahead of me. Otherwise I'm looking for company when I'm out racing against myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MazzR

Had another sick stomach yesterday and last night so my planned run for this evening is gone. Going to go for a quick cycle though. This will still do good wont it? Did nothing yesterday but will be running with the club tomorrow, rest sat cause of 5k race Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

That was all blockic's fault for trying to keep up with me;)

I've noticed that he's started to be subliminally nasty to c_m since she beat his time......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Gavlor wrote: »

I've noticed that he's started to be subliminally nasty to c_m since she beat his time......

Nice to see a bit of bite coming back into this thread.... It really hasn't been the same since Pageant Messiah got the sack :D;)

I disagree. Simply put - you'll know when I'm competing with you because I won't let you ahead of me. Otherwise I'm looking for company when I'm out racing against myself.

I agree with Digger...but what happened to you...I thought you were saying its not supposed to be taken seriously :pac:

:D:D:D

Gav if they were giving medals for sh!t stirring yours would be gold ;)

Too bad blocky doesn't frequent the novices thread :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭donnacha

So its week 1 for me and I've just finished the 3 x midweek 3 Mile Run sessions (doing the HH Novice 2 Half Marathon Progam). Tues was tough getting back into the swing as I hadn't ran for 1.5 weeks due to throat/chest infection after the Samsung 10k.

I do have a concern about the lack of pace runs in this HH program I'm doing. It says to treat the Long Run at the weekend as the LSR - fair enough, and Tues/Thurs of midweek are all easy pace, but its only every 2nd wk that you do a pace run on the Weds. Is that really enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

:D:D:D

Gav if they were giving medals for sh!t stirring yours would be gold ;)

Too bad blocky doesn't frequent the novices thread :P

Jaysus he really should though considerig he has only done one marathon.....

• Advertisement

donnacha wrote: »
    I do have a concern about the lack of pace runs in this HH program I'm doing. It says to treat the Long Run at the weekend as the LSR - fair enough, and Tues/Thurs of midweek are all easy pace, but its only every 2nd wk that you do a pace run on the Weds. Is that really enough?

I think whatever programme you're following you have to trust that it's been designed a certain way for a reason. Stick with it for the HM and you can always change to a different one for DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Jaysus he really should though considerig he has only done one marathon.....

oooh Controversial !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Bit of a disaster running wise so far this week, plan was 3 X 3miles midweek and 4miles tomorrow as a taper/step back week for NaFianna 5km Tuesday... Calves were very tender/sore Monday(rest day) so iced, rolled & used deep heat, bit better Tuesday so decided to take an extra rest day repeating the icing etc. Did 3m Wednesday & seemed back to normal, no running yesterday as work was mental, getting home at 9.30pm after leavin the house at 7.20am... Should have gone this morning only runner were left in work:( I'll get 3miles done tonight but should I stick to the plan of 4miles tomorrow or stretch it out to say 7, usually do 10m LSR?

Bit of a disaster running wise so far this week, plan was 3 X 3miles midweek and 4miles tomorrow as a taper/step back week for NaFianna 5km Tuesday... Calves were very tender/sore Monday(rest day) so iced, rolled & used deep heat, bit better Tuesday so decided to take an extra rest day repeating the icing etc. Did 3m Wednesday & seemed back to normal, no running yesterday as work was mental, getting home at 9.30pm after leavin the house at 7.20am... Should have gone this morning only runner were left in work:( I'll get 3miles done tonight but should I stick to the plan of 4miles tomorrow or stretch it out to say 7, usually do 10m LSR?
    I'd stick to the 4 miles tomorrow, rest on Sunday and then do 2 slow miles on Mon to loosen the legs out for the race on Tues. Keep gently stretching the calf muscles for 20 - 30 secs a couple of times a day and make sure you do a mile or so very slowly to warm up before the race

so fellow novices, who's up for the race series? 5 miler is a biatch of a course. ran most of it Tuesday. those feckin hills do not make for a pb race but i guess it's good to challenge oneself an not pick the easier flat races all the time. good prep for hills in October :@)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hope ye don't mind somebody else joining in here for this as had missed the thread. I started running early 2012 but had some shin splints and then our baby arrived so that curtailed alot of the running towards the end of the year.
    Am currently talking an easy week after some hamstring issues during the kidare half marathon but am aiming to start back training on Monday with Carlow Half Marathon on Sept 1st as main aim ahead of DCM, will of course be doing a few 10kms in-between maybe something like heart of laois etc.

Enniscorthy 10km Feb 2013 - 50:22
    Kildare Half marathon May 2013 - 2:13:13

No.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level
    Running usually 3 times a week, for 6-10KM depending on what time I have free, Play soccer or tag rugby once a week depending on what season it is.

Would love to have something around the 4:30 time mark but will revise that as I see how the training is going.

Probably 3-4 if I can get my ass out of bed in the morning for a run before work.

Its the latest in my fitness challenges that I have set myself.

Now a question for people here, should I start a half marathon program now for that Sept 1st race and then switch to half way through a marathon program or should I start a marathon program and once finished early (which I expect to be) to continue to use last week of program with a 10% increase each week..? or what is the best approach people are taking if they want to have a structured program starting in the next few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

so fellow novices, who's up for the race series? 5 miler is a biatch of a course. ran most of it Tuesday. those feckin hills do not make for a pb race but i guess it's good to challenge oneself an not pick the easier flat races all the time. good prep for hills in October :@)

Doing the half the other races I don't think I will bother with them.

tommycahir wrote: »
    Hope ye don't mind somebody else joining in here for this as had missed the thread. I started running early 2012 but had some shin splints and then our baby arrived so that curtailed alot of the running towards the end of the year.
    Am currently talking an easy week after some hamstring issues during the kidare half marathon but am aiming to start back training on Monday with Carlow Half Marathon on Sept 1st as main aim ahead of DCM, will of course be doing a few 10kms in-between maybe something like heart of laois etc.

Enniscorthy 10km Feb 2013 - 50:22
    Kildare Half marathon May 2013 - 2:13:13

No.

Running usually 3 times a week, for 6-10KM depending on what time I have free, Play soccer or tag rugby once a week depending on what season it is.

Would love to have something around the 4:30 time mark but will revise that as I see how the training is going.

Probably 3-4 if I can get my ass out of bed in the morning for a run before work.

Its the latest in my fitness challenges that I have set myself.

Now a question for people here, should I start a half marathon program now for that Sept 1st race and then switch to half way through a marathon program or should I start a marathon program and once finished early (which I expect to be) to continue to use last week of program with a 10% increase each week..? or what is the best approach people are taking if they want to have a structured program starting in the next few weeks?
    I think you should follow a marathon programme. I can't see any advantage in starting a half marathon programme and then switching. The 18 week marathon programmes will start Jun 24th (5 weeks on Monday). A lot of people start a couple of weeks early to allow for time out for holidays injuries etc. You could start the programme and repeat a couple of the weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I think you should follow a marathon programme. I can't see any advantage in starting a half marathon programme and then switching. The 18 week marathon programmes will start Jun 24th (5 weeks on Monday). A lot of people start a couple of weeks early to allow for time out for holidays injuries etc. You could start the programme and repeat a couple of the weeks

Yeah I was looking at the HH novice 2 program but my concern was that the half marathon on it didn't line up with the local Carlow one so wasn't sure what was the best approach, thanks for the reply and help.

If I start the 18 week program early where would be best to add in the extra weeks, start, middle or end? i.e. where is best to do the extra miles to get the most benefit?

• Advertisement

tommycahir wrote: »
    Yeah I was looking at the HH novice 2 program but my concern was that the half marathon on it didn't line up with the local Carlow one so wasn't sure what was the best approach, thanks for the reply and help.

If I start the 18 week program early where would be best to add in the extra weeks, start, middle or end? i.e. where is best to do the extra miles to get the most benefit?
    What kind of mileage were you doing for the Kildare HM? Have you any other races planned before Carlow?

Advertisement