Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

What kind of mileage were you doing for the Kildare HM? Have you any other races planned before Carlow?

Generally I was clocking up 15-20km per week in the build up to Kildare but was a very interupted training with chest infection and life with a baby getting in the way..Generally before that I had been covered 20-30km per week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Ososlo wrote: »
    so fellow novices, who's up for the race series? 5 miler is a biatch of a course. ran most of it Tuesday. those feckin hills do not make for a pb race but i guess it's good to challenge oneself an not pick the easier flat races all the time. good prep for hills in October :@)

I signed up for all of them. Racing stops me slacking. I did the Frank Duffy 10 mile as my 3rd ever race last August, really got hooked after that. Loved the big atmosphere feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

so fellow novices, who's up for the race series? 5 miler is a biatch of a course. ran most of it Tuesday. those feckin hills do not make for a pb race but i guess it's good to challenge oneself an not pick the easier flat races all the time. good prep for hills in October :@)

I'm doing the race series. Only started running properly last month. I was thinking of starting the HH novice 1 marathon plan and squeezing the race series into that somehow. Will be starting proper training on the 27th, cant wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

tommycahir wrote: »
    Generally I was clocking up 15-20km per week in the build up to Kildare but was a very interupted training with chest infection and life with a baby getting in the way..Generally before that I had been covered 20-30km per week.
    Well you have 5 weeks to play with if you're starting on Monday. I would be looking at repeating some of the big mileage weeks. You should be able to get another 2 x 20m long runs in if you plan it right but don't forget about the step back weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

I'd stick to the 4 miles tomorrow, rest on Sunday and then do 2 slow miles on Mon to loosen the legs out for the race on Tues. Keep gently stretching the calf muscles for 20 - 30 secs a couple of times a day and make sure you do a mile or so very slowly to warm up before the race

Great thanks a mill C_M! Looking forward to the race now:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

actually, i was wrong. It will be a pb race 'cause i've never done a 5 mile race before :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Speaking of races it would be nice if everyone could do a small race in the next few weeks. It's just so you can get a good idea of where exactly you're at before the marathon plan starts and it will give a good baseline for working out training paces :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AlsoRan

actually, i was wrong. It will be a pb race 'cause i've never done a 5 mile race before :D:D:D

I'll be doing all bar the 5 mile as I'm away. I found them great last year, as there was a really good atmosphere and the races forced me to do some training. Never enjoy the hills in the park though, they kill me.

Interestingly, I went to the chiropodist today over my foot swelling, turns out I have ended up with arthritis over a period of time due to leg length difference/flat feet and my dominant leg over-correcting. So I'm now going to be running with custom made insoles in 6-8 weeks time. I'm convincing myself that all of a sudden this is going to speed me up. Roll on the race series!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AlsoRan

Speaking of races it would be nice if everyone could do a small race in the next few weeks. It's just so you can get a good idea of where exactly you're at before the marathon plan starts and it will give a good baseline for working out training paces :)

The parkruns are great if the location is anywhere near you. I run this most weeks and it is great when you see an improvement. People are chatty as well so you can get a few ideas/tips.

I'll be making good use of the parkruns too. Aiming to get a PB in the morning.

• Advertisement

Nappy wrote: »
    I'll be making good use of the parkruns too. Aiming to get a PB in the morning.

Best of luck Nappy! Get a good night's sleep:)

Got myself a PB this morning. Beat my time by 4 seconds ish (still haven't got actual results yet). It was a horrific run mainly because I made a few bad decisions. One being to run in the sub 20 line at the start(past pb = 21mins) and the second was trying to outrun the pros. This worked bar one little racer for about 800m before I realised I was burning out. I finished the first K in 3 mins and 30 secs and watched many a racer pass me for the final 4K. I finished just under 21 mins. Was a bit dissapointed but learned a few valuable lessons. The marathon right now seeems like Everest!

Got myself a PB this morning. Beat my time by 4 seconds ish (still haven't got actual results yet). It was a horrific run mainly because I made a few bad decisions. One being to run in the sub 20 line at the start(past pb = 21mins) and the second was trying to outrun the pros. This worked bar one little racer for about 800m before I realised I was burning out. I finished the first K in 3 mins and 30 secs and watched many a racer pass me for the final 4K. I finished just under 21 mins. Was a bit dissapointed but learned a few valuable lessons. The marathon right now seeems like Everest!

Great to get a pb. Work out those racing strategy issues and you'll kill that time again next race. Don't know what Parkrun it was but if it was Malahide then I was 1 min slower than in a 5k road race I did a few weeks after it. I think most people found it a bit slower due to narrow paths etc. Great thing about Parkrun is that you can try again next week!
    Nice 11 mile slow one done myself this morning. Freezing cold though! My hands were numb for ages afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Got myself a PB this morning. Beat my time by 4 seconds ish (still haven't got actual results yet). It was a horrific run mainly because I made a few bad decisions. One being to run in the sub 20 line at the start

Which parkrun has a "sub-20 line", even unofficially? Sounds a bit against the spirit of parkrun to be honest!

I was in Marley this morning and just before it started the guy doing the countdown said sub 20's only up the front. I wouldn't say it's an enforced rule now, he just mentioned it to front line before kicking off.

Ososlo you need to invest in some gloves!

I was in Marley this morning and just before it started the guy doing the countdown said sub 20's only up the front. I wouldn't say it's an enforced rule now, he just mentioned it to front line before kicking off.

Ososlo you need to invest in some gloves!

usually wear 'em but thought, c'mon it's 18th of feckin' May, surely I don't need them:rolleyes:
    I'll be wearin them tomorrow.

That's a pity, to be sure.

murphd77 wrote: »
    That's a pity, to be sure.

maybe it was more out of concern for runners getting trampled up front by the faster guys. Not really in the spirit of Parkrun though I agree

maybe it was more out of concern for runners getting trampled up front by the faster guys.

Has that happened before?:eek:

Has that happened before?:eek:

not in my experience. anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Been away from this thread for a couple of weeks...it just took me over an hour to catch up :|

No been away from the running though. After my disasterous April with injuries, I'm now back to running 20 miles a week. Not quite where I was in early April....but getting there...and still a bit nervous about my issues returning as I am still feeling it a tiny bit.

If only.....where would I be now if it hadn't been for that injury!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 liamo66

Which parkrun has a "sub-20 line", even unofficially? Sounds a bit against the spirit of parkrun to be honest!

Not sure what happens at Malahide but at Marlay we ask sub 20 runners to step to the front at the start. This is to prevent congestion at the first turn around the lamp post.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Ran a small pb in an 8km there on friday which i am happy with. My running has come on an awful lot from where it was 3 months ago. I have entered the Dunshaughlin 10 km on the 22 june. Its perfect timing as it is only 2 days before the marathon plan starts and i'm looking for a Pb in it. Is anyone else doing it? It will keep me focused to get out there running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    Ran a small pb in an 8km there on friday which i am happy with. My running has come on an awful lot from where it was 3 months ago. I have entered the Dunshaughlin 10 km on the 22 june. Its perfect timing as it is only 2 days before the marathon plan starts and i'm looking for a Pb in it. Is anyone else doing it? It will keep me focused to get out there running.

Its a very popular 10k for the folks on boards. I'll be surprised if you don't spot a few of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

maybe it was more out of concern for runners getting trampled up front by the faster guys. Not really in the spirit of Parkrun though I agree

In Malahide last week it was mentioned that people MIGHT like to line up in some sort of speed order. But it certainly wasn't enforced or anything. The run director just told us that the average finishing time in the runs so far had been 26 mins, so if people were faster than that they might start in the front half of the crowd and vice versa. I thought it was just a guideline for new runners to the pace others might be running. With over 400 runners I think it's fair enough to give people (especially new runners) an idea of where to start. It's not even about being trampled, it's just nicer to run near people of your own pace, and makes for a better experience for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »

Well done on the pb! I'll be doing the dunshaughlin 10km aswell I think:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Milknosugar

After two physio sessions, my shin splints are still tender and sore. He said to ice them and try a couple of miles on tues/Wed and see how I feel then for the race at the weekend.
    Ive done nothing since the pretty awful 10k last week but I think im ok for the half on sat. There seems to be plenty of walkers for this event so hopefully I wont be last. I think Ill relax and enjoy it and not put myself under any pressure - that might all change on the day though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Did my longest run yesterday 15.38 miles took me 2:29 kept it at a steady pace at 9:40. Would love to keep that pace for DCM.

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Did my longest run yesterday 15.38 miles took me 2:29 kept it at a steady pace at 9:40. Would love to keep that pace for DCM.

well done Darren. Great session. I think however that most people will advise you than you should be doing your long runs at 60 to 90 seconds (at least) slower than your marathon pace to reap the greatest benefit from them. The experts can jump in here.
    Nice confidence booster for you though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

well done Darren. Great session. I think however that most people will advise you than you should be doing your long runs at 60 to 90 seconds (at least) slower than your marathon pace to reap the greatest benefit from them. The experts can jump in here.
    Nice confidence booster for you though :)

Cheers Ososlo,:D I use mc millan training paces with a recent time plugged in from a 10k race, I honestly don't have a time set in stone for DCM.

Advertisement