Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Interval run this morning. I felt a bit weird for the first one of these. I couldnt tell if it was my torch or my eyes but the road got a bit blurry and wobbly and I definitely wasnt running well. :) I put it down to being a bit dehydrated maybe. Finished the run as planned but not as hard as I should have. 40 mins 6.32k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »
    Interval run this morning. I felt a bit weird for the first one of these. I couldnt tell if it was my torch or my eyes but the road got a bit blurry and wobbly and I definitely wasnt running well. :)I put it down to being a bit dehydrated maybe. Finished the run as planned but not as hard as I should have. 40 mins 6.32k.

Too much Christmas cheer last night, eh? ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Too much Christmas cheer last night, eh? ;)
    Youre the second person to say that. But no. Unless tea counts. :)

Club swim tonight. I had been told the set was hard but I honestly loved it. I was slow but I got a lot from the IM main set. We finished up with 25m sprints and this was the first time in 8 months I worked really hard without having issues with a racing hr or burning out. Ended the set grinning like a loon. :)

Hi Dilbert I did not mean to ignore you. We were all busy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Hi Dilbert I did not mean to ignore you. We were all busy :)

Jaysis I never thought you did! I was 10 mins late (thanks to road works :() and was on the back foot straight away. Glad to hear you had a good swim - was a bit worried about you after your post this morning.

• Advertisement

I have no idea what happened this morning. But no sign of it in the pool. :) Probably just the sleepy start.

I have no idea what happened this morning. But no sign of it in the pool. :) Probably just the sleepy start.

I occasionally get something similar myself - usually it's from being over-tired. Not nice though.

Group turbo tonight. I gave a set that I didn't think was too bad, z3 with short sprints mixed in, but a few of the guys were literally steaming, and found it maybe a bit tough. :) I did the set but didn't push on the last bit which was min on min off hard gear sprints. I need to have legs on Saturday. We did core afterwards, the first part of which was hanging from monkey bars, it made a change from crunches!

Just one more short leg loosening run before Saturday, and then we will see if the plan I have been on is much cop. And the forecast is abysmal, 16mps winds and pouring rain. I can tell it will be interesting.

Clonakilty was interesting.

The good: I am very philosophical and laid back about the race being cancelled.

The bad: Leaving it till an hour before race start to tell everyone it's off is completely not how to handle a situation like that.

The ugly: I am more hungover than Ive ever been in my whole existence due to post no-race drowning of sorrows.

When I heard the race was cancelled I was all togged out anyway, so along with quite a few others I went out for a run regardless. Ended up moving at a pretty sharp pace with a guy from Waterford. The wind was insane, the rain was painful, and there were lakes in the roads. :) We picked up the marathon route and followed it until we somehow missed a turn... maybe a sign blew away. We then took to the boreens and just got a bit deliberately lost. Finally made it back to Clon like drowned rats with 30k done in 2h42. It was a very hard run and I only considered finishing out the distance momentarily before realising I was pretty done in and heading in to the bar :)

No medal. No feeling of accomplishment, and a very bad impression of the race organisers. But a mad run in the bag. So its not all bad!

Tidy pace on roads like that in those conditions.

• Advertisement

It takes a long time to get over an epic hangover. Give me a marathon any day, its easier than drinking. A club swim tonight was my first training since the weekend and it was hard sprints. Of course it was. I did ok times for me I guess. 1.39 to 1.43 for the 100s and 3.45 / 3.40 for the 200s. Yeah yeah slow. Im surprised I got it finished at all. Bloody miracle. :)

Did turbo and core on Wednesday and a very short trot yesterday. Today was swim day but I didnt get in to the early swim which meant going in tonight. Somehow I had in my head that this was 2650 but realised as I did it that it was longer. The set was 6x25 sculling drills chin up with pb, with swim intervals between which were 400m total. The full swim came to 3050 in 80 mins and my shoulders felt it. Glad to be done.

Out for a trot in yet more wind and rain today. Nursing a sore foot which Im hoping is a simple strain. Calves are tight too. I think Ill be seeing the Beast soon. :)

40 mins. Roughly 7k

Slightly damp cycle today with a Christmassy loong coffee stop that was far too relaxed but what the heck. On the way back I seemed to find a bit of a boost from somewhere and kicked it on for a bit. Tho I got competitive on the last long drag and I dont want to confess my hr stats to the coach. Ez... eh oops. 2h 40 in misty drizzle.

How's the foot?

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    How's the foot?
    Improving thanks. Think its just a mild strain. I keep telling myself its Not Plantar Fascitis... Def not.. :)

I often find that when my calves are tight they pull on my Achilles and then everything else seems to come under tension too. Get the calves mashed and hopefully you'll be right as rain.

I often find that when my calves are tight they pull on my Achilles and then everything else seems to come under tension too. Get the calves mashed and hopefully you'll be right as rain.
    Ugh. Trying to avoid Collier :)

Run intervals this morning in heavy rain. Almost needed a snorkel. After wu and drills main set was 5x 4min increasing with 3 min recovery. After that was 5x 30sec hard 1 min rec. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Sometime in the next, oh, six months it would be nice to run when its not dark and raining. Id like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I know the feeling, I've been in my new pool for around 6 weeks now and every morning I've been it has rained. I should have been born in a warm weather country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Run intervals this morning in heavy rain. Almost needed a snorkel. After wu and drills main set was 5x 4min increasing with 3 min recovery. After that was 5x 30sec hard 1 min rec. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Sometime in the next, oh, six months it would be nice to run when its not dark and raining. Id like that.

Days start to get longer in 7 days!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Days start to get longer in 7 days!!!

forget waiting 7 days. we've already reached the point where the sun doesn't set earlier any more. today and tomorrow are the earliest it sets, then from wednesday it starts setting later.

the shortest day not being for another 7 days is because sunrise is till coming later and later.

I wait for the solstice as the turning point. :) Tho the darkness i can put up with. Its the non stop wind and rain thats getting old... but hey ice and snow would stop us getting out altogether.

Swim tonight. No rain but still wet. 3k total. A mix of doggy paddle drills and 200s increasing on every 50. It felt long. :)

You escaped the pool today before I got to impart a relevant piece of "wisdom", Dilbert-style (as Dory might say)...here goes..."pain is weakness leaving the body"...

You escaped the pool today before I got to impart a relevant piece of "wisdom", Dilbert-style (as Dory might say)...here goes..."pain is weakness leaving the body"...

I had a session with Collier. He made me laugh. Especially when he was rolling that glass coke bottle on my fractured femur. I'll have to have a chat with him if you want weakness to leave your body. ;)

Haha - my weaknesses and I are quite comfortable together thanks but I'll keep your kind offer in my back pocket in case my regular Physioterrorist can't torture me enough some day. In his defence I'm presuming he didn't know you'd a fractured femur...

Haha - my weaknesses and I are quite comfortable together thanks but I'll keep your kind offer in my back pocket in case my regular Physioterrorist can't torture me enough some day. In his defence I'm presuming he didn't know you'd a fractured femur...
    In his defence noone knew for 3 weeks. And when your client laughs hysterically youre not gonna suspect, either. Dory thinks pain tickles. It explains a lot.

Oh, he absolutely did not have a clue!!!! And as Oryx notes, it took 3.5 weeks before I even knew! The Beast is the best! You are no doubt in excellent hands under his care. I wish we could ship him over here periodically! Freeze dried! ;)

• Advertisement

I had hoped to do 3 swims this week for the first time in ever, but Tuesday came and I was goosed. Couldn't summon the mental or physical will to do the club set. This ennui continued the next morning when I missed my indoor bike session. Not quite sure what happened, but I just didn't have it in me. But I took it as a sign I'm a bit worn out and moved on from it. Did a fun club turbo Wednesday evening, where the group worked harder than I did, tho my hr did push into the 170s for the main set AND I still had to call the instructions while not sounding under pressure at all. :) We had Christmas sweets and hats and even one bike was fitted with twinkly lights, so it was a good nights work to set me back on course.

I ran the following morning, 47 mins ez. Again, another good way to reset. Last night I went skating and managed not to break anything, so made it to the early swim today for a set I had to read and re-read to understand. :) Lots of technical stuff I was meant to do with my hands and elbows and head which I didn't manage half of. Still, I did do

600 oc wu
    6 x50 polo
    400 fc alt 50 hard 50 ez
    6 x50 one arm head up/ head down
    400 fr alt 50 hard 50 ez
    800 fc ez focus on key points in stroke.

This did fly by and was not too hard. Somewhere near 75 mins give or take. I still feel a little like someones let some air out of me, but hey, its nearly Christmas. Just. Keep. Going. Mince pies and Irish Coffee on the way!

Advertisement