Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Recovery run this morning. 25 mins around leg break ridge ;). I still cant pass that place without thinking 'not getting me this time!'

Early run over hills dales dunes and beach today. Started with freezing fog, then did some cattle rustling, on to scrapy leg mind yer ankles trail, finishing with a looong trot along a strand littered with beached mackerel fry. No accurate distance, technology was not obeying orders today (and my 910xt breathed its last on Wednesday. RIP my trusty lil watch :( ) It took and hour anyway. Coffee as the sun finally warmed the air, a Carlsberg of a training session. :)

Got a short swim in this afternoon 1520 in 35 mins while the kids did lessons. A double day, almost feels like proper training. :)

Long cycle day! Woo! What a day for it too. Summer may be late but its struggling to make up for being awol in June. It was cold at 7.30 but by 9 the sun was out and it was a glorious day. This ride was just over 4 hours ride time with a full on breakfast stop in the middle. Eggs make great cycling nutrition. We did a few hard sprints and hill climbs to make it worthwhile, and drove a steady pace otherwise. Great fun. Id say about 108 because I have done this route before and think thats what it was.

Loved it. A grand morning.

Did nothing Monday, and the hr was playing silly buggers all day yesterday, but I went for a swim regardless. Two easy lengths in, with a hr in excess of 160, I realised the planned set was not going to happen, so I got my pull buoy and changed the plan to drills and easy pace technical swimming. Covered about 1700m all told, and got my stroke count down to acceptable levels, so not a complete waste.

• Advertisement

Hr still messing me about today, and energy low, but I had a turbo set to lead so I put on my 'retail face', smiled and got on with it. The warmup was tough (I did a high cad w/u) but I settled into a groove for the rest of the OG set and had fun. Core afterwards was focussed on glute activation and although we are all adults, we giggled like big kids as we did our snappy hips clenchy glute thing. :)

I feel better now. Hope tomorrow is the same.

Went for a run this evening but I had eaten something an hour before and oooeee my body did not like that. Heartburn developed into nausea then full on GI issues. I made it back without puking but it was close. I still feel sick :) But the run was fine. 6 or 7 k in 35 mins.

Out on the town last night so it was hard to haul out of the bed and run this morning. But I did. Even if I was ditched by my run buddy.

45 mins easy felt great, no issues this time. No garmin so no distance but the time was ok for the route I took.

T minus two days till I am back in structured training. Which is quite exciting :)

1600m swim this afternoon. Its beginning to come back to me. Felt a lot less clumsy.

Long ride today. Took out the TT as I haven't been on it in a bit. For some reason I couldn't climb for toffee today. I dont know if it was me or the bike. Getting dropped on every hill. It sucked. Also had a sphincter clenching moment when a car pulled out under me while I was sprinting on the bars. Sideways skidding rear wheel is not a nice thing. Somewhere near 100k, in god knows how long. Two coffee breaks and no watch!

• Advertisement

Day one of the new training year... here we go!

An easy start with a 35 min ez run, with a focus on form that felt like falling with style. Hr did a spike for no reason early into this but I walked it back to the right zone.

Later on I had a 15 minute strength session which looked easy on paper. Just 4 basic moves. But it was a cunning little set and my arms are in bits. At the end of each set of the 20x tricep dip reps I was making cartoony noises like mmmmnnngggghhhhh... :) which is a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

:)

First coached swim of the winter schedule. Not long, 1700m but wow my swim fitness is not great. Or my heartrate is still out of whack. Either way my timed 100s were too embarrassing to commit to print. Ill just commit them to memory and work on them. Loved being back into a routine though. :)

Turbo last night. Long high cad intervals that had us all dripping with sweat. I got some dirty looks and it was remarkably quiet for most of this set. I think the group found it a bit hard :)

Run intervals this morning. I had to get out early to do this, which meant a headtorch. It was my first proper run in the dark since the race in March. Brought back memories but I have better legs under me this time. 4 x4min hard with 2 min recovery, 55 mins including warm up and cool down. I thought my legs would feel this more than they did. Intervals were tough but very doable. No metrics as garmin still away in hospital.

I had a css test this morning at half 6. Bleugh. Got through it but my times (7.59 and 3.53) are a sad indictment of where I am right now. But thats it. Line drawn. Upwards from here.

2400m in total in 60 mins.

Tempo run. Or pain run. Whichever, its all the same to me. Ran on a beach with the ever loyal Mr Stark, bless his heart, but if last week was Carlsberg, this week was cod liver oil - good for you but completely horrible.

I had no proper watch, no torch, and neither of us were awake. The tide was in so no real hard sand to run on, and rogue waves kept making us sprint up the beach onto the heavy gravel. And that was before the tempo part. But we are Team Peninsula and we kept going. The tempo was ugly, for me anyway. I hated the lack of grip in the sand, hated the pace, hated the endless beach that showed no progress. My head was not in a good place. Turned halfway through, and because the 'back was broke of it' I handled it better then. Tony trotted along like twas nothing, even deciding not to dodge the waves and do an aquatic run. Mad yoke.

I was very glad to get (just) 20 mins done and ease back and trot the last bit. The next time I see the word tempo in a plan I'm running on the damn ROAD. :)

60 mins, distance est maybe 11k.

82.5k on my tt bike this morning. Obligatory coffee stop included. 3h25 with 619m gain. The slow time was all down to the last 20k when I was fading into the wind.

Rest day yesterday. Bit of a misnomer; I did not train, but rest? No chance.

Early early run intervals today. With warm-up and drills to wake me up first. These were 6x 2min hard, 2 min ez and I liked them! First time in a long time I've felt like I'm actually running at a pace rather than being dragged with weights out of me. 55 mins in total as daylight crept in. I liked being out with the torch today, it was chilly and quiet. I frightened a few patrolling cats, but otherwise never saw a soul. Lovely. :)

Club swim. Fun and games. It was all fun, choppy little intervals that you got thru fast. The games were a series of 4x 25 dolphin jumps. Mine were more zebedee than dolphin but great craic. 6 x 150 breathe every 3 was just what I needed to work on bilateral, and 200 pb at ankles I found easy.

Came to 2350 for the hour, not too hard, really enjoyed it. Best swim in ages

PS. Hi Dilbert! Nice seeing you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Oryx wrote: »
    PS. Hi Dilbert! Nice seeing you!!

You too! Maybe NEXT week I'll be on time and get to say more than just hello. Having fun though - exactly what I wanted (presuming Coach wasn't video recording my impersonation of a harpooned whale attempting to do butterfly). Thanks again for the recommendation.

Turbo tonight with a good crowd in so it was fun. We did 5 reps of a gear pyramid for the main set. Plenty of recovery so noone suffered too much. They all hated the standing start sprints at the end tho. :)

Core was short and snappy, crunches and planks including a new one on me: wheelbarrow. Done against the wall. Really tricky!

Felt good, wasnt under pressure at all tonight, great set.

At 6 this morning i was eating breakfast and LOOKING FORWARD to going out and running intervals. This is a very good sign.

Run was short intervals. Just a little shake up. 15x 30s on 30s off. It was hard, but went by fast. I pushed hard but I'm still not reaching the top gear I know I should have. I'm told that will come tho.

I think I was being tested today. Well, I hope so, otherwise the swim set I was given makes no sense. I have a strict hour swim, yet was given 2800m to do. I dont swim that fast!

3x 200 wu
    8x 50 single arm.
    3 x 400 (5 breathing)
    200 kick (in a crowded lane this made me REAL popular)
    400 sd (of which i did 200)

So 2600, and had to squeeze in 65 mins to do even that. I hate not completing prescribed sets. Drives me daft! I think a chat is needed with he who must be obeyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Oryx wrote: »
    200 kick (in a crowded lane this made me REAL popular)

Ha slow kicks are the worst! I get joined by whales when doing kicks, they figure my kick pace equals their head up breaststroke pace. Then get pissed off at me when I speed up doing the proper set!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What's SD?
    I think you could do 2800m in an hour by the way...I'd do minimum 3 - 3300 depending on session, and I'm not much faster than you in the water...

I probably kick faster than I swim so I'm ok on kick sets :P

What's SD?
    I think you could do 2800m in an hour by the way...I'd do minimum 3 - 3300 depending on session, and I'm not much faster than you in the water...

I probably kick faster than I swim so I'm ok on kick sets :P
    Youre faster than me.

Swim Down

Long run today. No tempo! No intervals! Love it! It was a jesus o'clock headtorch start, when me and my matching run buddy headed out, but we stayed off the stupid beach today so it was much easier. I felt the pace was a bit hot at first, and thought Id never stay the distance, but I seemed to settle in after that and ran comfortably. Halfway point reached at 43 mins, the sun was coming up by then, somehow that helped. Ran and equal split on the return leg, with an extra section tagged on to bring the time up to 90 minutes as per my schedule. 17.59k done. More than happy with that, 7 or so weeks out from the marathon.

Coffee while watching the sea afterwards made it a pretty damn perfect morning, all told. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Good going. Immense discipline as always. Which marathon are you doing?

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Good going. Immense discipline as always. Which marathon are you doing?

Clonakilty

Advertisement