Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I think you could do 2800m in an hour by the way...I'd do minimum 3 - 3300 depending on session, and I'm not much faster than you in the water...

:eek: :confused: Ouch? Be careful, that kind of good natured patronizing and marginally bold confidence could move Kurt to the point of declaring a "duel in the pool" of smack down proportions. ;):D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Dory Dory wrote: »
    :eek: :confused: Ouch? Be careful, that kind of good natured patronizing and marginally bold confidence could move Kurt to the point of declaring a "duel in the pool" of smack down proportions. ;):D

Patronising? :) I just don't see why she couldn't hit 2800 plus based on her race times and swim times she puts up here :) She must be yapping too much during the rest periods :P

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Patronising? :) I just don't see why she couldn't hit 2800 plus based on her race times and swim times she puts up here :) She must be yapping too much during the rest periods :P
    Ok, I have to respond to this. I am Mrs Clock in the pool. Anyone will tell you I dont yap!! Particularly when doing a horrible set like the above. I realise you were joking, but the inference in your post is that Im bluffing somewhere.

The reason I didint hit my "wonderful" race times? No wetsuit. Poor tech after a summer of wetsuit. Kick drills. Arm drills. Mandatory 1 min rest periods. That set was a challenge for me, and thats all this log is about, right? Im a crap swimmer, I know this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭griffin100

Ok my 2c as a complete bluffer :) I think quality wins out over quantity for someone at my level when it comes to a one hour session. In my most recent sessions with my old coach the sessions were 3,000m+ and I was more concerned about getting all sets done with little thought about technique. In my current sessions the focus is on quality with sessions all around 2,500m per hour with every likelihood that you'll be pulled out of the water for a chat about your technique. I prefer the newer sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Dory you should be part of this too! I have a chaise longue and peeled grapes ready to adjudicate any such 60 min TT... ladies, set your bikini's to "stun"... ;)

Seriously though, if coach is happy then Oryx should be happy; swim numbers online have to take a backseat to deck feedback. However, "Im a crap swimmer, I know this!" could do with some work if you want to get faster!

(RQ- 3.3k in a pool hour is 1:48 pace, huge kudos on that, great swimming :))

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Not sure how my two posts could have been interpreted the way dory and oryx took them, but, ok...I'll leave it at that....

Kurt...it's great to have people to draft off. ;)

, "Im a crap swimmer, I know this!" could do with some work if you want to get faster!
    I have no natural swim talent. Ive struggled every step of the way. Same on the bike, if truth be known. But I have, and continue, to work damn hard. Ive just not been all that smart at times.

My bikini is always set on stun btw. ;)

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Dory you should be part of this too! I have a chaise longue and peeled grapes ready to adjudicate any such 60 min TT... ladies, set your bikini's to "stun"... ;)

Seriously though, if coach is happy then Oryx should be happy; swim numbers online have to take a backseat to deck feedback. However, "Im a crap swimmer, I know this!" could do with some work if you want to get faster!

(RQ- 3.3k in a pool hour is 1:48 pace, huge kudos on that, great swimming :))

Set your bikinis to stun. :D
    Not sure how my two posts could have been interpreted the way dory and oryx took them, but, ok...I'll leave it at that....

Kurt...it's great to have people to draft off. ;)

Nah, we're good. I think your initial post may have just come out wrong, that's all.

And by the way Oryx, I swam with you earlier in the year and I can.personally attest to the fact that you are not a crap swimmer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Oryx wrote: »
    I had a css test this morning at half 6. Bleugh. Got through it but my times (7.59 and 3.53) are a sad indictment of where I am right now. But thats it. Line drawn. Upwards from here.

2400m in total in 60 mins.
    I think you could do 2800m in an hour by the way...I'd do minimum 3 - 3300 depending on session, and I'm not much faster than you in the water...
    Nah, we're good. I think your initial post may have just come out wrong, that's all.

And by the way Oryx, I swam with you earlier in the year and I can.personally attest to the fact that you are not a crap swimmer!

In defence of what RQ wrote- if 2,400m/hour is acknowledged as a sad indictment, then 2,800/hour seems worthwhile as putting out there as a target, based on knowledge etc.

Oryx (and I apologise if this seems blunt or unwanted) you're better than 2,400m/hour and its perhaps a good thing to have this pointed out... You write "no natural swim talent", "poor technique", "I'm a crap swimmer"? Sounds like lazy October talk, and thats what a long winter of your hard work with the coach will aim to change. Plenty who believe in you (literally because we've been there ourselves), but its your belief in yourself that matters. No physical reason you won't be swimming 3km+/hour in a few months.

Two points:
    1. No human has natural swim talent, even Phelps is built to sink at a slightly slower rate.
    2. Eeeeeeevvvveryone reading the last few posts has thought about you, Racoon, and Dory, in bikinis;)

Lazy october talk? I just explained that I know why Im currently slow and I know I will get faster. I was doing 3000m mixed in under 70 minutes last year. But Im not where you, or RQ or Dory are, swimwise and it is really not because I cant be arsed or dont try, which is what I got from some of the comments. But swimming does not come naturally and improvements are slow. It frustrates the hell out of me to work just as hard as those I train with yet get passed by them over time.

Anyhoo. Boards bikini calendars anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Its frustrates the hell out of me to work just as hard as those I train with yet get passed by them over time.
    Fear not - I promise you I won't be passing you. And not for the want of trying.
    Anyhoo. Boards bikini calendars anyone?
    Emmm.....what's the correct answer?

Long ride today. 82.7k 3h 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mr Tony Stark

I'm up for the Bikini thing, my man boobs look a treat when hauled up from my belly button.
    Hellooooo Boys.

Long swim. Ladder down. Hateful.

Im loathe to post my times in case anyone thinks Im not trying hard enough. I did try, but missed most targets by a lot or a little. 3300 (or 3400 if you believe my garmin) in 1.24.

I'm up for the Bikini thing, my man boobs look a treat when hauled up from my belly button.
    Hellooooo Boys.

Youre getting a mankini for your birthday :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭watercarrier

I have no natural swim talent. Ive struggled every step of the way. Same on the bike, if truth be known. But I have, and continue, to work damn hard. Ive just not been all that smart at times.

My bikini is always set on stun btw. ;)

What kind of times do you put down on each element Oryx?

What kind of times do you put down on each element Oryx?
    Hard to say without making excuses. Both my IMs have had issues outside my control. Best swim has been 1.27.

Long swim. Ladder down. Hateful.

What's "ladder down" mean?

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    What's "ladder down" mean?

The set went like this:
    Warm up
    600m timed
    6 x25 fast
    500 timed
    5 x25 fast
    400 timed
    4 x25 fast
    300 timed
    3 x25 fast
    200 timed
    2 x25 fast
    100 timed
    Sd

Reverse pyramid its also called I think. I was on specfic time targets and specfic rest intervals. If this is week two, its going to be right laugh when we really get going.

And when you say "timed"....?

Sorry for the noob questions...

• Advertisement

And when you say "timed"....?

Sorry for the noob questions...

I was given specific target times to hit. The same pace for each one, based on my css (critical swim speed) test last week. :)

I was given specific target times to hit. The same pace for each one, based on my css (critical swim speed) test last week. :)

Ah right. Thanks. I thought it was something like that but I'd rather ask.

Ah right. Thanks. I thought it was something like that but I'd rather ask.

The only reason I hadnt posted it in all detail is out of respect for the coach, who might not appreciate his full program put up here. (Maybe he wouldn't care, I don't know!)

See you tomorrow; )

Hard to say without making excuses. Both my IMs have had issues outside my control. Best swim has been 1.27.

And that 1:27 was at Wales. :eek:

Also, since you mentioned it - your coach provided sessions and not posting them here - yeah, something I have thought myself from time to time, however I feel I have purchased that program, and it is mine to do what I want with. But I also see your point...additionally, some might argue why would I want to give what I had to purchase away for free. But for me, my log is really and truly my training log, in the truest of senses.

Early run. A catchup from yesterday (i asked for a dispensation to do it today) 6.8k ez, took 39 minutes. I love running in the dark when it's quiet, noone up yet, just you and a circle of light in front. :)

Clonakilty

Ooooo....I believe Clonakilty was one of the places interested took me to when he was minding me that week I was over visiting. Nice place! I think they refer to it as "Clon". ?? What is the date of the marathon? And how hilly will the course be?

Ooooo....I believe Clonakilty was one of the places interested took me to when he was minding me that week I was over visiting. Nice place! I think they refer to it as "Clon". ?? What is the date of the marathon? And how hilly will the course be?
    I believe its quite hilly. Cant be worse than wales though. 5th December.

I believe its quite hilly. Cant be worse than wales though. 5th December.

Yeah, that's my memory of it - hilly. But a lovely place!!! And no, nothing can be worse than Wales from what I have read. :eek:

Club swim. Got thru it. 1900m including an interesting polo swim at the end. Complete with ball!

• Advertisement

75 min turbo. Muscular endurance I'm told. Single leg, big gear sprints, more longer single leg, 10 min @ rpe 8 85cad. I did not enjoy it one bit which means it was what I need to do.

Advertisement