Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best Chinese take away?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭spring21

Any good take aways in Dublin 15? I got one last week from Thai garden in the village but it was very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

spring21 wrote: »
    Any good take aways in Dublin 15? I got one last week from Thai garden in the village but it was very expensive

You know they have a take away in Coolmine Ind Est. It's a little cheaper and the same food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Bumping this out of sheer frustration, Chinese tonight going in the bin as did the last two. Tonight's was Ming Court, previous two were Foo Lok and Hung Wun. Wasn't overly impressed with Host but at least that was edible. Garden House was good for a while but last two orders not great.

Was a big fan of Wangs in Coolmine but that's gone. Millennium in Castleknock is consistently ok but they're not on the apps so not always a runner.

Any gem I'm missing out on? Quality of meat and flavour are very important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Let's eat in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Have you tried chungs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

January wrote: »
    Let's eat in?

I love their Indian and Thai but they've really cut back on their Chinese menu. Was craving Chinese tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

athtrasna wrote: »
    I love their Indian and Thai but they've really cut back on their Chinese menu. Was craving Chinese tonight

Chef's Chinese in Coolmine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Have you tried chungs?

Chungs curry is usually spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

athtrasna wrote: »
    Bumping this out of sheer frustration, Chinese tonight going in the bin as did the last two. Tonight's was Ming Court, previous two were Foo Lok and Hung Wun. Wasn't overly impressed with Host but at least that was edible. Garden House was good for a while but last two orders not great.

Was a big fan of Wangs in Coolmine but that's gone. Millennium in Castleknock is consistently ok but they're not on the apps so not always a runner.

Any gem I'm missing out on? Quality of meat and flavour are very important.

you're getting takeaway, what are you expecting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Chef garden in tyrellstown is nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Dragon Inn in Mulhuddart is good. Me and herself used to go to Ming Court and order but after it was shut down by the HSE we've avoided it completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Mandarin Castle. Very reasonably priced and always lovely grub

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Went to order from let's eat in tonight and it's gone :'( Was great to order a mix of cuisines, really stuck tonight when we want Indian and Chinese. A first world problem I know but disappointed all the same

Chef in Ongar is superb especially their spice bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Chef in Ongar is superb especially their spice bags.

They're on just eat now too which saves having to navigate the parking mess down there.

Patww79 wrote: »
    They're on just eat now too which saves having to navigate the parking mess down there.

Always handy parking outside it in the big car park.

Always handy parking outside it in the big car park.

If you can navigate the 5 or 6 people who decided they can't walk and park right outside Dunnes door.

Online ordering is better than having to go for it regardless.

Patww79 wrote: »
    If you can navigate the 5 or 6 people who decided they can't walk and park right outside Dunnes door.

Online ordering is better than having to go for it regardless.

That's not the only way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Drive right around the village past the estate agents at the back. Best way in.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Most Chinese eateries are pure and utrer rubbish. Rubbery water injected chicken, dodgy hygiene practices, kitchens you can never see, MSG laced glop for sauces.

Get a Thai, Japanese or Asian fusion (such as Mao) instead. Much much better...

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Most Chinese eateries are pure and utrer rubbish. Rubbery water injected chicken, dodgy hygiene practices, kitchens you can never see, MSG laced glop for sauces.

Depends on what you like. I'd much rather have a Chinese than any of the latter ones you mentioned. Nice colourful language there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

I wish you'd butt out of these types of thread. It's obvious you've a disdain for fast food and sugary food etc. Why do you have to rain on people's parades?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

The black peppered beef in Mao is very tasty, have been 3 or 4 times now and always plan on trying something different but it's hard to pass it up.
    Have been to the Blue Elephant a few times and while ok the quality of the meat in Mao is much better.
    Used to like Camille and get it on occasion but they wouldn't do the larger size on some of their dishes like they do in Phibsborough so started trying a few of the alternatives such as Blue Elephant and now Mao.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Or even better, you stop dictating to people what they should and shouldn't do and let them spend their hard earned money however the hell they want.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

LorelaiG wrote: »
    I wish you'd butt out of these types of thread. It's obvious you've a disdain for fast food and sugary food etc. Why do you have to rain on people's parades?

You obviously don’t know me at all as I have a McDonalds or Burger King a few times a month. Fast food in moderation is fine. I love Mexican Burritos and a good Indian take out. I also enjoy home cooking, salads and Italian cuisine, It’s all about balance.

The standard of Chinese in Ireland is appallingly poor. I’m entitled to hold this opinion and many others share it. Good Chinese cuisine however is worth its weight in gold. The Mandarin Castle in Castleknock is quite good.

Not being preachy, just opining on what I myself think of what passes as Chinese fare and if you want to eat it all day every day, go right ahead. It’s your life.

You obviously don’t know me at all as I have a McDonalds or Burger King a few times a month. Fast food in moderation is fine. I love Mexican Burritos and a good Indian take out. I also enjoy home cooking, salads and Italian cuisine, It’s all about balance.

The standard of Chinese in Ireland is appallingly poor. I’m entitled to hold this opinion and many others share it. Good Chinese cuisine however is worth its weight in gold. The Mandarin Castle in Castleknock is quite good.

Not being preachy, just opining on what I myself think of what passes as Chinese fare and if you want to eat it all day every day, go right ahead. It’s your life.

You are being preachy.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK folks, if you want to discuss the relative merits of one Asian cuisine over another then please take it to PM. However if you want to discuss the best Chinese takeaway in D15 please carry on. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I like the Castleknock kitchen in Laurel Lodge

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

The black peppered beef in Mao is very tasty, have been 3 or 4 times now and always plan on trying something different but it's hard to pass it up.
    Have been to the Blue Elephant a few times and while ok the quality of the meat in Mao is much better.
    Used to like Camille and get it on occasion but they wouldn't do the larger size on some of their dishes like they do in Phibsborough so started trying a few of the alternatives such as Blue Elephant and now Mao.

What happened to Mao in Blanch, went there a couple of Saturdays ago and it was closed with no notice or info on their doors or website. Back again today and still closed so called into The Greyhoud to see if they'd any info, they didn't have much but did confirm it was closed for good. Website now also has it removed as one of their locations.
    Sorry to see it go, good quality food with nice staff. Thought it was doing ok as always seemed to have a steady turnover the times I've been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Always seemed deserted any time I passed it. Went in there a couple of times and was the only customer or there were only one or two others. I'd say they lost money hand over fist.

Advertisement