Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying bitcoins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

TBH, I'm surprised that a message board such as Boards.ie with it's dozens of sub-forums catering for virtually every interest does not have one dedicated to cryptocurrency/bitcoin -- one of most innovative and game-changing technologies of the past decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,860 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

These alternative coins with all these fancy superior features rather intrigue me. I have read about the fungibility of some, making them useful for drug dealers, the mafia, paying for hits on people or for buying dodgy things in general. I have read a little about Etherium and it's smart contracts. The one thing I haven't read is any evidence of any of these features actually being used in the real world to any degree that matters. They all seem just hypothetical.

It seems to me that the most useful features a crypto can have are for it be widely accepted and recogised as having value and for it be easily bought and sold with fiat currencies widely, without having to do a deal on an obscure forum and having to meet up with Y0rWur5tN1ghtmar3 in an isolated and badly lit car park at 03:00, with a lot of cash on you.

So basically I am not worried about BTC being overtaken because as I see it, it already has the most useful features that would make a crypto useful.

I'm afraid I don't share your faith that bitcoins problems will be easily resolved. It is perfectly possible that they can't be resolved. I believe the traveling salesman prizes are still up for grabs after how many years?

I even think it possible that Satoshi Nakamoto is rolling around laughing his/her head off at the idea that people have bought into something that relies on exponentially increasing difficulty, computing power, energy and cost in order to keep going. It's an energy ponzi scheme, as far as I can tell, but none the less fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

So I'm using exodus wallet, stuck a little bitcoin in it and finally got around to securing it... I probably got ahead of myself but i understand the 12 word seed is what i use to re-establish my account on another machine in case mine quits on me.. question is how do people keep this secure? ...I have it written down but if someone gets their hands on it I'm screwed right?.. don't fancy memorising it cause i know I'll forget it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

cnocbui wrote: »
    So basically I am not worried about BTC being overtaken because as I see it, it already has the most useful features that would make a crypto useful.
    Nothing ever stays the same. Was there really much difference between myspace, bebo and facebook (I'm not a major fan of social media so perhaps there was - therefore, I don't know - but I doubt there was a massive difference).
    BTC is a disruptive force - in a space that's evolving. It's open source so anyone can copy it and apply their own tweak to it. It could all be in the hands of the Dev team - such as what's going on right now. One wrong turn and the correct turn by an alternative currency and momentum could have switched from one to the other.
    I'm afraid I don't share your faith that bitcoins problems will be easily resolved. It is perfectly possible that they can't be resolved. I believe the traveling salesman prizes are still up for grabs after how many years?
    What happened in the space of a couple of hours? In your pen-ultimate post, you were warning that we had no chance of seeing €600/btc?
    Anyway, I'm not saying that it's in any way straightforward. However, it seems to be that segwit will alleviate things for the time being (in terms of scalability). However, it will only be one more hurdle - the talk will move immediately to the implementation of an off-chain solution such as Ligntening Network - and by all accounts, that's much further down the tracks in terms of development and real-world readiness. None of this is going to be easy - but my best guess is that it can come through (but best guess is all it is). If there's a hard fork, it can still come through - but not without some degree of damage.

I even think it possible that Satoshi Nakamoto is rolling around laughing his/her head off at the idea that people have bought into something that relies on exponentially increasing difficulty, computing power, energy and cost in order to keep going. It's an energy ponzi scheme, as far as I can tell, but none the less fascinating.

The ever increasing difficulty part is genius - and is what gives btc its power - and makes it a store of value and unlike FIAT, it can't be manipulated. The energy costs is another big stumbling block - no doubt. However, it's not at the point of imploding because of the energy input just yet - so there's time for the community to address that issue yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

These alternative coins with all these fancy superior features rather intrigue me. I have read about the fungibility of some, making them useful for drug dealers, the mafia, paying for hits on people or for buying dodgy things in general. I have read a little about Etherium and it's smart contracts. The one thing I haven't read is any evidence of any of these features actually being used in the real world to any degree that matters. They all seem just hypothetical.

It seems to me that the most useful features a crypto can have are for it be widely accepted and recogised as having value and for it be easily bought and sold with fiat currencies widely, without having to do a deal on an obscure forum and having to meet up with Y0rWur5tN1ghtmar3 in an isolated and badly lit car park at 03:00, with a lot of cash on you.

ok the bold parts is the ones you got right rest is just your opinion.

simple question how many people do you think use it as actual currency to buy stuff online -speculation and dark web aside on daily basis ?

Now some might not agree but btc whatever it was created, as is heaven for those who made luck out of it, or already had business going and went dark web thats where it shines.

no rational person will buy btc to buy regular items when it takes tops 20seconds to do card payment or paypal, with security in place and tractability and guarantee of price and delivery and transaction happening in seconds.

since anonymity and being able to transfer it to any part of the world as payment is what keeps couple hundred thousand (my guess) people buying it as fiat=btc=fiat, rest just got into it for profits it brings whenever price crashes over the top or got drawn to it like it was stock or forex where you dont hold actual value in what you bet on but you still get impression that your holding value if you make cash out of it.

Now dont get me wrong im not against any of that since its a tool and medium.But in reality Fiat isnt going anywhere as people like to make doomsday out of it, and given how its created its a bit pointless waste of energy as you mentioned.

whole crypto boom is like that of dotcom where you never know what will make riches and become smth, or go bust.

Now i dont have vested interests in its price, it could go 10k it wouldn't affect me it could go 0 it wouldn't impact me either, since i see it as described fiat=btc=fiat.

While btctalk is like a cult thinking its revolution, but if it wasn't for darkweb i doubt anyone would have any actual real world usage for it, given all the alternatives that already exist and are way easier to use.

edit:makeorbrake has few valid points energy and difficulty yes keeps tabs on giving it somewhat of value but cap limit of 20mill and currency which is now 0.0000 isn't really world ready unless you want to carry calculator with you all the time.Its more elite trading stock for few that are willing to venture that far to trade.

also you say fiat manipulated.that is worst example comparing any crypto to fiat, which basically can be printed into oblivion and yes whatever cost 20years ago costs now maybe 20% more, but at least its not 1000% on rotating basis.

btw this is not attack just simple reality check, lets call things for what they are really useful, without major government conspiracy and ever changing politics in some African countries which cant keep tabs on its management since they are so corrupt, in other words where there is issue with fiat lossing value or transaction fees,people will take $ any day and 2-5 years later it might lose or gain 10 cents on value but will still be accepted be it some pit in Africa, Asia or USA.

• Advertisement

scamalert wrote: »
    While btctalk is like a cult thinking its revolution,but if it wasn't for darkweb i doubt anyone would have any actual real world usage for it, given all the alternatives that already exist and are way easier to use.

It's gone beyond darkweb. I can't understand how you consider investing in it if you can't see any merit in it.

- The Feds can't manipulate it - I'm talking in terms of all that quantative easing that benefits some sections of society and not others.
    - It's decentralised - ties into the point above.
    - If you have to up sticks in the morning, you don't have to pack it. In case you laugh at this one, for millions of people around the world, this potentially is very relevant.
    - You don't need a bank account. There are millions of people around the world that are unbanked. That said, if people in the west start to adopt it, then banking will be cannibalised.
    - Whilst there are concerns about anonymity - it can be used anonymously - if you go the right way about it. This is not just relevant to darkweb types. Remember, some countries are very close to adopting their very own CENTRALISED digital currencies. Once they do that, there is no transaction you will make that someone can't figure out. Consider the privacy implications of that alone.
    - It can't be used right now for micro-payments. However, it's entirely possible that this aspect of the currency will be fixed so that it can in the near future.
    - It can be setup such that payments are made per unit or minute or what not.
    - It can be setup so that machines can take/make payment - via a smart contract element.

You may say 'cult' - but there are tangible reasons to be excited about this development. The only imponderables are in the growing pains, it's development, etc.
    scamalert wrote:
    ....but cap limit of 20mill and curency which is now 0.0000 isnt really world ready unless you want to carry calculator with you all the time.
    I really don't see this being such a big issue in the long term (and it is a long term project). Coin to paper took 200 years. Credit cards took 40 years before there was mass adoption. They're thinking in terms of 20 years with btc. You won't be going round with a calculator if btc becomes ubiquitous. Granted, we are a long way off that - but ultimately people can get their heads around it if they really want to.

The bottom line is that we in the west can manage just fine without btc with our visa debit cards and such. However, there are people in more unstable parts of the world where they will risk life and limb and still use bitcoin. It's been banned in places like Venezuala and people still use it. In China, they tried to curb it - closing down the bank accounts of the exchanges. Prohibition doesn't work. The work around was that they started to sell bitcoin vouchers in shops - circumventing the banking industry in it's entirety. The chinese administration rolled back when they saw what was happening. They have certain controls in place right now - but they won't go nuclear and ban it - as they know that if there is demand, then one way or another, people will get their hands on it.

In India, people are paying a 20% premium to get their hands on bitcoin. It's in the developing world where the need for adoption is greatest - this will be where the momentum builds in the first instance. That doesn't mean that it won't lead to uptake in the west also.
    scamalert wrote:
    also you say fiat manipulated.that is worst example comparing any crypto to fiat, which basically can be printed into oblivion and yes whatever cost 20years ago costs now maybe 20% more,but at least its not 1000% on rotating basis.
    You gotta be kiddin' me? :-)
    It's the best possible example. When FIAT (which we all use) is manipulated, all us little people pay for that. Of course you can and should compare the merits of FIAT with the merits or otherwise of cryptocurrency. A cryptocurrency that can't be manipulated keeps us all honest. FIAT on the other hand is being manipulated every day of the week....whether it's at a brazen unsophisticated level with some African despot sticking his hand in the til or a more savvy manipulation cloaked in fine terms such as quantitative easing (which essentially amounts to the same thing - they're devaluing the pieces of paper you have in your wallet). The trickery that goes on with over-leveraging i.e. your money probably isn't there - if we all went to collect tomorrow, it wouldn't be there.
    scamalert wrote:
    but at least its not 1000% on rotating basis.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that? Are you referring to the volatility of BTC as a currency? That's only to be expected given that it's evolving and more significantly, the volume of that currency is just a drop in the ocean by comparison with established FIAT currencies. The market capitalisation of BTC doesn't reach the level of many corporations. As it expands, the idea is that the volatility will reduce proportionately. Whenever ultimately it does settle down (and we're a long, long way from that), it should be very steady - with predictable level of inflation - as that can be figured out - there is no fiddling with interest rates or q.e., etc. to figure in the calculations.

I don't agree with a single thing you have said. :D

well i see what you mean, but btc isn't excluded from manipulation be it Chinese having cheap power and building asic farms, to someone setting fees or fights between few major elites how to form the future of the crypto is actually manipulation in my view.

as for countries with government and fiat issues mostly 3rd world i doubt people making 1-10$ a day would some how be better of with smth that could easily cost them livelihood.

In future once or if btc overcomes its issues, it might be the solution but certainly there are better options for them now.
    Since dont think its major issue if someone making few hundred a year in $ doesn't know where to keep it, more of priority would be for someone struggling to make enough to feed themselves in this situation.

As you pointed we in the west do pay for devaluation and daily volatility but its hardly affecting our livelihood if its 1 or 10 euros out of the pocket, as it currently stands.

only good i see that now at least its easier to send cash to india and the likes, so guess in this situation its little steps.

I don't agree with a single thing you have said. :D
    I'm all good with that. If we all agreed, things would be pretty boring - there would be no interest in speculation - and the opportunities that can bring with it.
    well i see what you mean, but btc isn't excluded from manipulation be it Chinese having cheap power and building asic farms, to someone setting fees or fights between few major elites how to form the future of the crypto is actually manipulation in my view.
    Apples and oranges in terms of comparison. Tinkering with interest rates, devaluations, quantitative easing - joe public has to pay for all of that. Yes, there is an issue in terms of stakeholder groups with BTC. I had concerns about that myself but as someone here explained it to me, changes are still made by consensus and adoption or otherwise (be it of the current btc offering, a variant in the event of a hard fork or some other crypto) is market led.
    as for countries with government and fiat issues mostly 3rd world i doubt people making 1-10$ a day would some how be better of with smth that could easily cost them livelihood.
    Something that could easily cost them livelihood? I'm not sure what you mean? Do you mean that they can't embrace BTC because of it's volatility? Tell that to folks in Zimbabwe, Venezuela, Ukraine, Argentina, etc. BTC volatility they will accept ahead of the basket cases they have with their sovereign currencies.
    I visited with friends in Ukraine a few times in 2014 when the war was in full swing. Their currency (UAH) tanked. One of those guys was converting his salary each month from UAH to BTC - immediately upon receipt of it. UAH is still a basket case today - it has not recovered from 2014 levels - in fact, it's worse now. The Ukranian Government responded by banning bitcoin in order to 'protect the people from financing terrorism'! That guy wasn't affected by that in the slightest. He still converted his salary to btc each month. The government there have changed tact - bitcoin is kind of legal - but they're still trying to manipulate it (but in effect, they can't stem demand for something - prohibition never works if there's enough demand and the conditions on the ground motivate people to create that demand).
    In future once or if btc overcomes its issues, it might be the solution but certainly there are better options for them now.
    Since dont think its major issue if someone making few hundred a year in $ doesn't know where to keep it, more of priority would be for someone struggling to make enough to feed themselves in this situation.
    I suspect we are a long way from BTC settling down - it will most likely roll from one issue to the next (and hopefully, it will continue to overcome them as it comes up against them...as it has been doing to date). As regards options for people in these countries, what other options are there for them to store value/wealth (and I know we're generally talking about poor people but we're counting them in their 10's of millions - and even a proportion of them have some level of wealth that they want to protect)? I guess there's gold - but after that, what other option is there?
    scamalert wrote:
    As you pointed we in the west do pay for devaluation and daily volatility but its hardly affecting our livelihood if its 1 or 10 euros out of the pocket, as it currently stands.
    1 or 10 euros? The financial crisis had cost every individual in Ireland €9000 each - for the period 2007 to 2011 (and we're still paying for it). The euro has been found out - it's not fit for purpose.
    scamalert wrote:
    only good i see that now at least its easier to send cash to india and the likes, so guess in this situation its little steps.
    Remittances was one of the first areas that it was expected bitcoin would disrupt. It hasn't really succeeded yet - but it still might.

good discussion,im not denying benefits of btc as i did for long time, but keeping it real as well.

like you mention crisis 2009,well that crisis made well over 100k on top for someone i know once housing market collapsed buying for 1/3 which in less that 5 years became 2/3 back on price.

Could argue someone lost home, but someone made profit, thus even worst cases bring out win situations for some.

thus btc for everyone is different for me its way to buy stuff and speculate, for others to do business, and some are as far as considering it as any other currency.

Anyway seems this latest price run could been given due to japan's new law passed on crypto currency adoption if its not Aprils fools news :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

I think some here are of the opinion that FIAT money is not digital. Quite the opposite, 90% of all FIAT money sits in Banks and all sorts of funds stored as bits on a digital ledger within these Banks. The ledgers are stored in central locations, controlled by the wealthy, corrupt and Government agencies.
    The difference between Bitcoin and say the money in the Banks is Bitcoin is on a decentralized network. Its a flat network that ignores Countries Borders. No one controls the network, everyone owns it. Bitcoin gives back privacy, no longer can every transaction you make be scrutinized, recorded and analysed by private corporations and Governments, both of which will take there cut.
    This network does not need a central controlling agency like central banks,or an authority to control it.
    Currently everything is turning digital, soon we will start to hear that we no longer need cash! God help us if that happens, then every transaction we make will be under scrutiny. Bitcoin solves this problem, it gives back control of the money to the owner.
    Bitchain technology is about much more than just the currency, the technology applications go much further.
    Its a disruptive technology, but make no mistake it is the future, it can not be unmade.

The Cuban wrote: »
    Currently everything is turning digital, soon we will start to hear that we no longer need cash! God help us if that happens, then every transaction we make will be under scrutiny. Bitcoin solves this problem, it gives back control of the money to the owner.
    It's a truly appalling prospect. However, it's already set in train - with some states further down the line with it than others.
    That said, it could be the best thing ever for Bitcoin - as it could lead to mass adoption. Lets hope that BTC can jump over those scaling hurdles and put itself in a position that it can scale up quickly - in response to scenarios like this.

The Cuban wrote: »
    I think some here are of the opinion that FIAT money is not digital. Quite the opposite, 90% of all FIAT money sits in Banks and all sorts of funds stored as bits on a digital ledger within these Banks. The ledgers are stored in central locations, controlled by the wealthy, corrupt and Government agencies.
    The difference between Bitcoin and say the money in the Banks is Bitcoin is on a decentralized network. Its a flat network that ignores Countries Borders. No one controls the network, everyone owns it. Bitcoin gives back privacy, no longer can every transaction you make be scrutinized, recorded and analysed by private corporations and Governments, both of which will take there cut.
    This network does not need a central controlling agency like central banks,or an authority to control it.
    well im not a fan of banks,whoever in their life tried to take out say 5k in cash from bank you always get rollover eyes and questions,think some even now implementing where you need to give notice to take amounts of 5k in advance which is really a joke,given you put money there for keeping not ransom.

while governments or central banks can manipulate it dont think fiat is going anywhere soon then again, if you asked about brexit or trump becoming president and how it impacts economies few years back i wouldn't believed it either.

But as BTC stands now its still very flawed and not ready for world wide usage, even someone mentioned before me if there was sudden influx the network would easily choke, not to mention scaling issues and core/miners.Eventually once those issues are solved and if nothing interferes with it being decentralized then imagine next phase will begin.

As for now many people might of heard of btc but many are weary of its usage since its still very closely tied to darknet as main transaction currency, and too volatile for most, to see it as currency as opposed to stock that moves a lot.

Since was reading btc daily usage and after nearly decade its hardly there's more then 25-100 thousand transactions that are used as payment, outside onion network on daily basis which is very low numbers.

As for now many people might of heard of btc but many are weary of its usage since its still very closely tied to darknet as main transaction currency, and too volatile for most, to see it as currency as opposed to stock that moves a lot.

Since was reading btc daily usage and after nearly decade its hardly there's more then 25-100 thousand transactions that are used as payment, outside onion network on daily basis which is very low numbers.

Yes as it stands bitcoin cannot handle mass adoption yet, but it is improving, solutions will get sorted. As for Bitcoin being used only for shady activity? (I think Monero has taken that crown) but back in the early days of the internet they said that it was only for Porn, drugs, software piracy and other illegal activities. Instead people shared 100 million kitten videos on youtube, setup blogs, sold goods, played video games, watch TV etc
    Bitcoin is been used for legitimate activities too.
    Just think when you buy something over the internet through Visa or Paypal they take a cut, and a greedy cut too. If you send money by Bank transfer of SEPA it takes days. Then your data is then scrutinized and shipped off to god knows where.
    The sooner Bitcoin improves the better the world will be. Do yourself a favor and own at least one of the 20 million Bitcoins

This nonsense about BTC being the root of all darknet evil is a myth. Here's a photo of U.S. $207 million of meth dealers money 2 years before Bitcoin was fully released as an open source solution =>
    cash.jpg
    Run a search and you'll find similar photo's of massive hauls of stacks of fresh green Benjamin's confiscated from the various drugs cartels in between then and now. Of course, Bitcoin (or any other crypto) can be used for good or evil - but it's just a store of value. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. When the interweb first started to gain momentum, it was defined as an enabler of paedo's , etc. The suggestion was a ridiculous over-reaction - when www communication has enhanced the lives of every single one of us.

U.S. Dollars have always been central to illicit trades (whilst also being used by ordinary joe's every day of the week). Bitcoin will be the same....yet it is not being presented in the same way.

Bitcoin threatens to step on the toes of the power brokers of society - those behind the banking behemoth. It shouldn't surprise anyone that this misinformation is being spread about the evils of BTC.

Yes correct, same as blood diamonds, oil or any other mineral that's been used and abused.But im not in morality area where to tell people how to use it.Fact is thou many will associate it with it since whenever btc came to life and got into tor network think whoever got to hear about it for the first time it would been stories covering drugs etc, and in many cases is still today, when comes to media reporting it.

Granted dark web isn't actually that big of a place nowadays and more mainstream stuff is bought using btc, but its still in many cases only crypto that's accepted on web deals, even thou who uses it are mostly small timers and far off from cartels or terrorists.

Fact is thou many will associate it with it since whenever btc came to life and got into tor network think whoever got to hear about it for the first time it would been stories covering drugs etc, and in many cases is still today, when comes to media reporting it.
    Of course - but then you have to question the nature of our media. Remember there is no media without prejudice - and money talks. BTC market cap remains tiny - so old money continues to pull the strings...
    scamalert wrote:
    But im not in morality area where to tell people how to use it
    In the same way as it would be futile for me to tell you how to spend your euro or bitcoin, you might spend it on groceries or hookers and coke. Me telling you how to spend it isn't going to change that. Of course I could be wrong on that. Someone more powerful than you and I seems to think that he can solve one of the worlds political problems simply by telling someone not to do something they've been doing for years:D The art of the deal...such craft.

Theres so many laws these days, that keep strangling regular Joe, from politicians who have only their interests, to lies from whats best to people -but that's political field which hardly changes once years pass.

Ive mentioned i like btc idea, realized its potential to late, but at least know a bit about it now,to consider it as alternative option to put spare cash away.

And as said it took decades for money, cc cards to get accepted btc isn't excluded from that it will take years of further development, before it gets recognized more, which given current situation is totally fine, since user base of it is quite large now and dont think its shrinking in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Cant shake the feeling I should stick a grand or two in Ethereum and see what happens, I think Im going to chance it.

Thargor wrote: »
    Cant shake the feeling I should stick a grand or two in Ethereum and see what happens, I think Im going to chance it.

I've been struggling to get to grips with BTC (and to keep up to date with the fast pace in which it moves). With that, I simply have not built up a decent knowledge of other crypto's.

The little I understand is that ethereum is better dispositioned for the purpose of smart contracts. How does it differ from BTC precisely and what makes it invest-able right now generally? Has it not blown up in value in the past few months? Is this not a bubble caused by the immediate challenges (scale-ability) that BTC is facing or do you see this as organic.justified growth?

• Advertisement

Bitcoin is up 4.5% while Etherium is down 9.2%

I must say, buying Etherium wouldn't be my favoured play. As I see it, the whole bitcoin forking thing spooked a lot of people, and rather than go fiat they rotated into Etherium, causing its price to surge. The Bitcoin United hash rate has not been going anywhere, it is still oscillating in the 35-42% range. They do not appear to be winning new converts or the argument. We may be seeing people rotating out of Etherium and back into bitcoin as they become more confident the Unlimited proposal is less likely to cause an upset than it appeared a couple of weeks ago.

The Best way to avoid the volatility is to keep buying every week or so. Ive been plugging away at buying them for nearly a year now. I originally thought I had missed the boat when the price moved from $200 to $400 but it has jumped again. I used to buy Altcoins any week I thought Bitcoin was too high but now I just buy regardless of the price.
    I am more happy to buy now because I know that if Bitcoin is established as the no.1 currency in the world the value of each coin will be far higher than $1100.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's gone beyond darkweb. I can't understand how you consider investing in it if you can't see any merit in it.

- The Feds can't manipulate it - I'm talking in terms of all that quantative easing that benefits some sections of society and not others.
    - It's decentralised - ties into the point above.
    - If you have to up sticks in the morning, you don't have to pack it. In case you laugh at this one, for millions of people around the world, this potentially is very relevant.
    - You don't need a bank account. There are millions of people around the world that are unbanked. That said, if people in the west start to adopt it, then banking will be cannibalised.
    - Whilst there are concerns about anonymity - it can be used anonymously - if you go the right way about it. This is not just relevant to darkweb types. Remember, some countries are very close to adopting their very own CENTRALISED digital currencies. Once they do that, there is no transaction you will make that someone can't figure out. Consider the privacy implications of that alone.
    - It can't be used right now for micro-payments. However, it's entirely possible that this aspect of the currency will be fixed so that it can in the near future.
    - It can be setup such that payments are made per unit or minute or what not.
    - It can be setup so that machines can take/make payment - via a smart contract element.

BTC holder here, it's not all positives, let's be realistic..

-It's inherently complex to understand
    -It's inherently risky as hell/complex to hold (I keep mine on usb keys, god forbid there's a fire in the house or a robbery)
    -None of the exchanges can be trusted to any high degree
    -It's unstable and volatile (if you received your paycheck in BTC it would change in value literally day to day, you might not be able to afford a mortgage payment)
    -You can't go buy groceries or food or just about anything useful with it - so it's almost useless in that regard
    -Not even BTC users know what's going to happen with Segwit, a potential hard fork, what will happen, how it will split, will it be worth anything

Regardless of "future potential", the current risk and uncertainty is off the charts in comparison to any normal currency and it's "normal" day-to-day usability is next to zero

Great for rabid wild speculation and a potential fast buck though, which, let's be honest, is generating 99% of the real interest in cryptos

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    -It's inherently risky as hell/complex to hold (I keep mine on usb keys, god forbid there's a fire in the house or a robbery)

Just on this point, is it possible to save it on some sort of cloud account like OneDrive or Dropbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Bitcoin threatens to step on the toes of the power brokers of society - those behind the banking behemoth. It shouldn't surprise anyone that this misinformation is being spread about the evils of BTC.

This is a bit of a lingering trope from the early BTC days. It's not a "threat" to anything, if anything banks are keenly interested, especially in the blockchain tech which they see as the future for much of their operations

Fiat is currently traceable and inside regulation - so we can e.g. trace a politician taking a bribe

For a good while BTC has been outside this loop, harder to trace, and as such has been an enticing conduit for drugs/laundering/etc - so it carries that unfortunate stigma

Every currency can be used for crime, but no one wants a potential future currency which is easier to use for illegal activity

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

Just on this point, is it possible to save it on some sort of cloud account like OneDrive or Dropbox.

its possible to save it in any online location but you run the risk of hacker groups potentially leaking databases to those services.

All true, however bitcoin has been the best performing currency every year since 2010, except for 2014. Volatility is part of the charm, how else are you going to profit from it? Try making money off relatively stable fiats.

It's fun to play with but I wouldn't commit my life savings to the game.

You can save it anywhere, perfectly safely, with a simple understanding of encryption. All this hype about storing it offline on USB keys is overblown.

if you use an encrypted wallet, or encrypt the wallet with say PGP, so long as you keep your encryption key/s safe and offline there is next to no chance a hacker can steal your coins. of course, you do want an offline backup to protect against something like ransomware where someone else encrypts the contents of your drive.

All this is assuming you have good general safety habits for avoiding malware that might include keyloggers and screen grabbers.

BTC holder here, it's not all positives, let's be realistic..
    I thought it was a given that it's 'not all positives'. Given that to be the general assumption, my post was in the spirit of 'it's not all negatives'.
    Bitcoin is in a constant state of change and development - and with that comes growing pains as it goes from one major obstacle to the next (once (or if) it overcomes the next one, there's already a secondary and more complex conundrum awaiting it (off-chain transactions).
    Check out Bitcoin Obituaries - keeps a count on the number of occasions that BTC has been declared dead.
    It's inherently complex to understand
    Couldn't agree with you more. To put up with the former, there has to be a hell of an incentive. There's little incentive for people in the west to use it for day to day use on this basis. As a store of value, there's a bit more for some of us - but then in any country there's strife, people will go to all sorts of lengths to obtain it - moreso than western countries - as in many instances, it's been banned (or at least regimes have attempted to ban it or control it) - and yet, those folks still see the value in it.
    As regards it being complex to secure, hardware wallet can solve that BUT you can't get it wrong. i.e. you have to secure that private key - if you don't think it through (like in the example of the fire you mentioned), you're investment is toast. It being decentralised is what first attracted me (and many) to BTC - but you can't have it both ways. If that's what you want, then you have to take full responsibility and act responsibly - or you'll pay a hell of a penalty.
    -None of the exchanges can be trusted to any high degree
    Agree completely. The answer to that is - don't! NEVER store BTC in a wallet belonging to an exchange - keep it in a hardware wallet.
    That said, there is still one potential risk - and that's when transferring FIAT into your exchange account. It's something I'm not comfy with - and the only solution seems to be to transfer in at the last minute - and buy coin as soon as possible afterwards - transferring that coin to your hardware wallet upon purchase...and maybe break up those transactions into smaller tranches to minimise the risk.
    -It's unstable and volatile (if you received your paycheck in BTC it would change in value literally day to day, you might not be able to afford a mortgage payment)
    It most definitely is - and it's clear why. When you look at the market capitalisation of BTC, it's still only embryonic when compared with established currencies. It's being held up against gold which has a track record of 2000 years.
    Volatility will gradually dissipate as it expands - but that's going to be a long and slow process.
    -You can't go buy groceries or food or just about anything useful with it - so it's almost useless in that regard
    -Not even BTC users know what's going to happen with Segwit, a potential hard fork, what will happen, how it will split, will it be worth anything
    These two can be discussed together. It's simply unworkable for micropayments at the moment until the scalability issue is resolved.
    As it stands right now, it's a store of value.
    Great for rabid wild speculation and a potential fast buck though, which, let's be honest, is generating 99% of the real interest in cryptos
    I'm only figuring stuff out - but I can't take to this shorting business at all. I don't understand it. I'm sure there are those that do (but I also get the impression that there are plenty that don't) - fair play to them - maybe one day I'll get my head around it - but I plan on sticking with it in the long run (albeit, yes, there is major risk along the way).

This is a bit of a lingering trope from the early BTC days. It's not a "threat" to anything, if anything banks are keenly interested, especially in the blockchain tech which they see as the future for much of their operations
    If it can get up to scale and critical mass, I believe it is very much a threat to the establishment. Remember it's decentralised. It can't be manipulated in the way that FIAT currency is. As regards the corporates and their 'private' blockchains, perhaps blockchain technology can be used internally to achieve synergies and cut costs. However, they've also been looking at having their own digital currencies - as have states (the most recent to suggest this has been China) - but they will never be comparable - as they will be centralised. Defeats the whole purpose.
    Dohnjoe wrote:
    Fiat is currently traceable and inside regulation - so we can e.g. trace a politician taking a bribe
    What like quantitative easing?...all perfectly legal fraud - that devalues the FIAT in your pocket. The basket case mis-managed currencies where there is rampant inflation?
    Dohnjoe wrote:
    For a good while BTC has been outside this loop, harder to trace, and as such has been an enticing conduit for drugs/laundering/etc - so it carries that unfortunate stigma
    I've seen merit in 95% of what you've stated thus far - no doubt whatsoever. However, this one is garbage. The 'stigma' is contrived - and is being bigged up. The U.S. Dollar remains the No.1 currency of choice for the vast majority of illicit activity in the world. That doesn't mean that we categorise it as being the domain of criminals. Terrorists drink water - should we ban water? Yet, as recently as yesterday, I read a 'news' report about a 'terrorist' who was a btc enthusiast. So what? It can be used for good or bad - the same way as FIAT cash.
    Dohnjoe wrote:
    Every currency can be used for crime, but no one wants a potential future currency which is easier to use for illegal activity
    It's no easier than cash. And if you're thinking in terms of phasing out cash (and that's the plan from the various state administrations), be careful what you wish for. Every single transaction you ever make will be traceable. Power corrupts. I'd be happier with the libertarian ideal in this regard - and BTC goes a long way toward safeguarding against that eventuality.

My greatest fear remains that it will take a wrong turn and/or another crypto will take it's place. As it stands, there are many more developers contributing to bitcoin core - so that's a strength - but it still requires careful watching - as if this goes south, btc to be toast. Notwithstanding that, I don't think that we will be living in a world without decentralised cryptocurrency going forward.

• Advertisement

I read a 'news' report about a 'terrorist' who was a btc enthusiast. So what? It can be used for good or bad - the same way as FIAT cash.

I think you are talking about Amir Taak, http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39417937
    He is one of the original Bitcoin developers and considered among the most intelligent people on the planet. To call him a terrorist? Who really are the terrorists? maybe that could be the Media who love a bad story, or the governments and wealthy elite that spin this ****e. I call throwing bombs from 2 miles in the sky down on a city the act of modern terrorists.

My greatest fear remains that it will take a wrong turn and/or another crypto will take it's place. As it stands, there are many more developers contributing to bitcoin core - so that's a strength - but it still requires careful watching - as if this goes south, btc to be toast. Notwithstanding that, I don't think that we will be living in a world without decentralised cryptocurrency going forward.

There is a frenzy of Developers direct and indirectly working on Bitcoin. From developers of payment systems to just outright nasty hackers throwing everything including the kitchen sink at Bitcoin. None of the Alt-coins have anything near the level of development.
    Whats holding back Bitcoin at the moment are the miners, they are milking money from it, so until they have an incentive for change Bitcoin will remain stagnant.

Advertisement