Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying bitcoins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

And now, something called BYTECOIN (BCN) up 700% over the past 6 hours. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

I look every day at the subreddits -- r/bitcoin, r/bitcoinmarkets and r/ethtrader. I find them useful and informed, especially the first one.

I've watched hours of you tube presentations / q&a sessions by Andreas Antonopoulos over the past few days - which have proven to be very informative (for a newbie at least - given his style of presentation). He seems to be of a position that reddit is infiltrated with corporate trolls - spreading disinformation (possibly sponsored by those involved in establishment banking in some from or other). I've never really taken to Reddit anyway - for whatever reason.

bitcointalk - I have frequented in recent weeks. Is the consensus that this is a decent source of information? Roger Ver was complaining that it was anti-B.U. and that posts were being deleted....

And now, something called BYTECOIN (BCN) up 700% over the past 6 hours. :eek:

Is there a page on the net that sets out the advantages and disadvantages of all Alt currencies? I'm struggling to educate myself on bitcoin (to a decent level) - I have not even spent any time on these alt-coins. If they don't bring something new to the party, then my attitude is that they can be summarily dismissed. If I ever put this query to people who have invested in same, they can't seem to give me any intrinsic point of differentiation these offer as opposed to BTC. The rationale so far seems to be that BTC seems to have a short-term difficulty and on that basis people have bailed in to alt-coins.

That's not sufficient rationale from where I'm sitting. I know Monero is regarded as being truly private/anonymous and that Ethereum offers greater opportunities on the smart-contract front.

Other than that, I'm at a loss as to what the other advantages/disadvantages of these (and other alt's) are.....

Anyone have the knowledge...?

I've never really taken to Reddit anyway - for whatever reason.
    Fair enough. I get ya; Reddit as a platform does not appeal to all tastes.

bitcointalk - I have frequented in recent weeks. Is the consensus that this is a decent source of information? Roger Ver was complaining that it was anti-B.U. and that posts were being deleted....
    Bitcointalk.org is indeed biased towards Bitcoin. The views of most members there will be distinctly skewed to a bullish view of bitcoin and its potential. Roger Ver, of course, has his own personal agenda and will always be antagonistic to Core and by consequence to Bitcointalk. I think that the forum is highly educational and worthwhile. Just my opinion of course. One has to make up one's own mind about it.

The rationale so far seems to be that BTC seems to have a short-term difficulty and on that basis people have bailed in to alt-coins.

That's not sufficient rationale from where I'm sitting. I know Monero is regarded as being truly private/anonymous and that Ethereum offers greater opportunities on the smart-contract front.

Other than that, I'm at a loss as to what the other advantages/disadvantages of these (and other alt's) are.....
    Agree with much of the above. I frankly think that 99% of the altcoins outside the big 3 -- ETH, Monero, Litecoin, --re nothing more than hypecoins, pump 'n dump vehicles, and outright scamcoins. Purely used as speculations and day-trading opportunities. It is exciting and fascinating, however, to follow their movements on the likes of Poloniex.
    I have to declare that I am a bagholder to a small degree of two of them -- Factom and Golem. Still waiting for either of those two to "go to da moon", tho'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,860 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Bitcoin = Gold
    Etherium = Silver
    others = iron ore
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

cnocbui wrote: »
    Bitcoin = Gold
    Etherium = Silver
    others = iron ore
    ?

"Where there's muck, there's brass..."

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

I wouldn't write off the alt coins so fast. Many of them are trying to solve the issues with that Bitcoin, and the consensus. network has.
    Yes there are some ****e-coins and scams but you really have to do some research and try and see what some of these coins bring to the table. Have a look at PIVX, DASH, Monero and Zcash. All of these are worth holding.
    The whole Crypt-currency world is like the start of the internet, back in the early days would you have bought into Google or Amazon or even Apple? The answer to that is no, Apple were next to bankrupt, Amazon was tanking money, google was an unheard of startup. Most investors were backing the likes of AOL, Netscape, Alta vita all of which crashed in the dotcom bubble.
    So while Bitcoin may be on top now but who knows what will be there in 10 years time.

The Cuban wrote: »
    I wouldn't write off the alt coins so fast. Many of them are trying to solve the issues with that Bitcoin, and the consensus. network has.
    Yes there are some ****e-coins and scams but you really have to do some research and try and see what some of these coins bring to the table. Have a look at PIVX, DASH, Monero and Zcash. All of these are worth holding.
    The whole Crypt-currency world is like the start of the internet, back in the early days would you have bought into Google or Amazon or even Apple? The answer to that is no, Apple were next to bankrupt, Amazon was tanking money, google was an unheard of startup. Most investors were backing the likes of AOL, Netscape, Alta vita all of which crashed in the dotcom bubble.
    So while Bitcoin may be on top now but who knows what will be there in 10 years time.
    Hi 'The Cuban'. This has always been my fear. However, I stand by my view that the vast majority of people who have bailed into these alt's recently don't have the foggiest idea what they are doing. Secondly, the major hike in their value recently is not organic - it's more to do with btc than it has to do with the crypto's themselves (unless someone has the knowledge here that disproves that in certain alt-coin cases??).
    I take the analogy albeit that Microsoft was the first real winner and it stayed the distance (I get the point that some would suggest that it wasn't a 100% pure internet company - but without the internet, it wouldn't have gone as far as it did).

Notwithstanding all that, I find it hard to believe that someone has not put together a relatively accurate summary of the attributes and potential of say the top 20 alts? I'd like to use that as a starting point - and thereafter, perhaps do some more in-depth specific research on some (or all) of them - based on whatever merits they present.

I agree makeorbrake, much of the alt-coin boom is a knee-jerk reaction to the perceived missed opportunity of Bitcoin.
    I have spent a good lot of time lately trying to get a handle on the whole Crypto-coin world. I myself originally bought some DASH and Bitcoin last year without having a clue really what is was all about and got lucky with DASH.
    Having said that I think Bitcoin will prevail, but so too will others because they will fill a niche like Monero does.
    Here`s a great speech about the BubbleBoy and the Sewer Rat which is a good insight into Bitcoin

https://youtu.be/810aKcfM__Q

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowseye

I'm not an expert by any means but I've been following the whole crytocurrency scene for the last few years and I still think there's a lot of room for innovation in the space. I'm of the same opinion as Cuban in that I think some alt-coins, either current ones or in the future have the potential to compete with bitcoin if they can provide something revolutionary compared to what's already there.

I'm a beta tester for an upcoming e-coin that is being announced officially to the public within the next two weeks and I'm really excited to see the reaction and talk to people here about it who would be more knowledgeable than me about cryptocurrency. I have a lot of faith in the development team and they've shown us some features that could potentially be gamechanging for cryptocurrency in general.

I think bitcoin will be difficult to topple due to its name recognition and its backing but I would not be writing off other alt-coins by a long shot, there is definitely room for other coins to prosper either as competitors to bitcoin or in areas that bitcoin is not competing in.

I've learnt a lot just by following the development cycle of a new e-coin, and seeing the new ideas and innovations the developers have come up with and I'm sure there are others working behind the scenes who could also provide some amazing new idea or feature in the future.

There's a lot of potential in cryptocurrency and I'm really excited to see where it all goes whether its bitcoin or something else that comes out on top!

Having said that I think Bitcoin will prevail, but so too will others because they will fill a niche like Monero does.
    To me, it's Bitcoins to lose. They have first mover advantage and not an immodest level of traction. However, how do we determine what other alt-coins have the potential to succeed? Anyone can copy bitcoin in a couple of hours - as it's an opensource system. However, that alternative cryto - which may form it's fundamental basis upon bitcoin - has to then differentiate somehow in order to give it a cutting edge and advantage. It's this that I'm having difficulty with. Other than hearing that Ethereum will prove more useful in the smart contracts space and that Monero (somehow?) brings the advantage of a higher level of privacy/anonymity, It doesn't seem to be clear what any of the others bring...
    Here`s a great speech about the BubbleBoy and the Sewer Rat which is a good insight into Bitcoin
    https://youtu.be/810aKcfM__Q
    Thanks for the link. I've watched hours of youtube videos by Andreas Antonopolous over the past couple of weeks. He's a great speaker and explains stuff in a way that even I can understand it.
    crowseye wrote: »
    I still think there's a lot of room for innovation in the space. I'm of the same opinion as Cuban in that I think some alt-coins, either current ones or in the future have the potential to compete with bitcoin if they can provide something revolutionary compared to what's already there.
    That's my fear(and I only say 'fear' as i'm significantly invested in BTC right now - I'd be excited by the prospect otherwise!). It's always been my number one concern - that BTC could be usurped by another crypto that comes out and rapidly cannibalises it.

With that in mind, I'd like to get myself up to speed with what's out there right now. By all accounts, there are some 700 alt coins out there. 90% of them are likely pump n' dump scams. That said, there's likely to be some that have an 'angle' or unique selling point. Surely someone has done a reasonably comprehensive comparison of say...the top 20 crypto's - the advantages/disadvantages of same, etc?

Are any of you aware of the availability of same?

I'm a beta tester for an upcoming e-coin that is being announced officially to the public within the next two weeks and I'm really excited to see the reaction and talk to people here about it who would be more knowledgeable than me about cryptocurrency. I have a lot of faith in the development team and they've shown us some features that could potentially be gamechanging for cryptocurrency in general.
    Given that the alt-coin you mention is pre-launch, I don't expect you to disclose (nor do I need to know) the name of same. However, can you give us an indication of what it offers that advances upon Bitcoin?

The other point is that whilst bitcoin can be replicated in an instant - and then developed further to make certain changes so that it takes on it's own character and inherent value - it can itself make changes if another crypto comes up with a development that has merit - and incorporate that into BTC. For that reason, many seem to suggest that alt-coins are simply a laboratory for Bitcoin. Perhaps it can't be as agile in making changes - given the size of the development team working on the project - and due to considerations to backwards compatibility and responsibilities towards the existing btc system and btc stakeholders.

• Advertisement

That's my fear(and I only say 'fear' as i'm significantly invested in BTC right now - I'd be excited by the prospect otherwise!). It's always been my number one concern - that BTC could be usurped by another crypto that comes out and rapidly cannibalises it.

With that in mind, I'd like to get myself up to speed with what's out there right now. By all accounts, there are some 700 alt coins out there. 90% of them are likely pump n' dump scams. That said, there's likely to be some that have an 'angle' or unique selling point. Surely someone has done a reasonably comprehensive comparison of say...the top 20 crypto's - the advantages/disadvantages of same, etc?

Are any of you aware of the availability of same?

I don't think there is because everything is constantly changing at the top and what might be a top 20 crypto one day might not even be top 100 the next. I remember when quark coins, feathercoins and namecoins were going to be the next big things and were in the top 10 cryptos and some of them are nowhere to be seen now. The only thing you can really do is your own research into each coin yourself that's popular and determine whether it offers anything unique or not.

I haven't looked in-depth into any of the current top currencies today like ethereum, monero, dash etc but I've seen coins in the past get hyped up, do well for a while and then crash into oblivion or never recover to the same heights so I'm always wary of this. When I first started following cryptocurrency I did the typical thing of picking one I liked the sound of and taking a chance on it and buying a certain amount hoping it would shoot up in price. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't and its pot luck really.

I think that unless you get in with a coin at the very beginning it can be difficult to justify the risk, its a form of gambling really when it comes to alt-coins and you might strike lucky and do really well but more often then not you'll lose your investment.

The one thing I'd say is just because a coin has a unique selling point or offers something different is no guarantee of success. If you have disposable cash and you think a coin has the potential to do well by all means invest in it if you have faith in it. The coin I beta test for I will invest in it when the opportunity arises because I've followed it for years and have faith in the developers. You always have to accept though that there is a risk that your investment could end up worthless so never invest more then you can afford.

Given that the alt-coin you mention is pre-launch, I don't expect you to disclose (nor do I need to know) the name of same. However, can you give us an indication of what it offers that advances upon Bitcoin?

I can't say much at all about this at the moment, all I can really say is that the developers have big ambitions for what they want to achieve and from what I've seen so far some of the things they've been working on are surpassing some of the features of any crypto-currency currently available including bitcoin.

The other point is that whilst bitcoin can be replicated in an instant - and then developed further to make certain changes so that it takes on it's own character and inherent value - it can itself make changes if another crypto comes up with a development that has merit - and incorporate that into BTC. For that reason, many seem to suggest that alt-coins are simply a laboratory for Bitcoin. Perhaps it can't be as agile in making changes - given the size of the development team working on the project - and due to considerations to backwards compatibility and responsibilities towards the existing btc system and btc stakeholders.

This is true in certain cases and I can't speak for other upcoming cryptos, but for the crypto I follow the ideas and work involved have been years in the making and the ideas have been patented so in that case I'd imagine it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible for bitcoin to adapt big developments like that to its current ecosystem.

I don't think there is because everything is constantly changing at the top and what might be a top 20 crypto one day might not even be top 100 the next. I remember when quark coins, feathercoins and namecoins were going to be the next big things and were in the top 10 cryptos and some of them are nowhere to be seen now. The only thing you can really do is your own research into each coin yourself that's popular and determine whether it offers anything unique or not.
    I'd imagine that we could work on the top 10 (or 20 crypto's) by market capitisation. I know this is subject to change. However, surely it's safe to assume that they reach a certain level of market cap. based on something of substance - and not just pure hype and vapour-ware?
    The only thing you can really do is your own research into each coin yourself that's popular and determine whether it offers anything unique or not.
    I'm loathe to do that right now - I'm devoting free time to really get to know the minutae of BTC in the first instance.
    crowseye wrote:
    When I first started following cryptocurrency I did the typical thing of picking one I liked the sound of and taking a chance on it and buying a certain amount hoping it would shoot up in price. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't and its pot luck really.
    I wouldn't be comfortable with this to be honest - sounds like a bit of a crap shoot.
    crowseye wrote:
    I think that unless you get in with a coin at the very beginning it can be difficult to justify the risk, its a form of gambling really when it comes to alt-coins and you might strike lucky and do really well but more often then not you'll lose your investment.
    I'm not sure I agree. Kudos to those that are proficient enough with the Fintech to figure out the potential at an embryonic stage. My attitude would be to only take those that have built up a decent market capitalisation - as that means some level of confidence has been expressed in them to get them to that point. At that stage, there should be some info floating around to demonstrate the inherent value in said alt coin. If they are a potential bitcoin killer, it should be made pretty obvious what it is that they've got in terms of killer application by comparison.
    crowseye wrote:
    The one thing I'd say is just because a coin has a unique selling point or offers something different is no guarantee of success.
    It depends upon the u.s.p. surely? Otherwise, if it's a u.s.p. that BTC can incorporate themselves, then if they achieve that in a reasonable timeframe, the new crypto may be the one to get killed off.
    crowseye wrote:
    If you have disposable cash and you think a coin has the potential to do well by all means invest in it if you have faith in it. The coin I beta test for I will invest in it when the opportunity arises because I've followed it for years and have faith in the developers. You always have to accept though that there is a risk that your investment could end up worthless so never invest more then you can afford.
    I don't like to gamble - well, I accept that there is a degree of gambling involved in all cases with crypto but I'd like their to be some solid rationale behind that play - rather than just gut, hope or blind faith.

crowseye wrote:
    I can't say much at all about this at the moment, all I can really say is that the developers have big ambitions for what they want to achieve and from what I've seen so far some of the things they've been working on are surpassing some of the features of any crypto-currency currently available including bitcoin.
    Ok, well I was never expecting you to name it - but surely the advantages it brings can't be such a secret??

crowseye wrote:
    This is true in certain cases and I can't speak for other upcoming cryptos, but for the crypto I follow the ideas and work involved have been years in the making and the ideas have been patented so in that case I'd imagine it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible for bitcoin to adapt big developments like that to its current ecosystem.
    Patented? So presumably they have used the opensource bitcoin code and then 'patented' aspects of their own implementation - perhaps layers of functionality that sit on top of that opensource code? I dislike the idea to start with! Furthermore, can this sort of thing actually be patented - with such a patent honoured?

Looking back on History you would wonder how the hell Tulips bulbs sold for as much 3 years wages of a tradesman. I just hope this isn't tulip mania and people in years to come will not be looking back at us as complete idiots.
    In my mind, if Bitcoin is the new currency and underlying technology of so much more, then at $1000 a coin when there will only ever be 21 million of them it seems cheap. But what do i know

Looking back on History you would wonder how the hell Tulips bulbs sold for as much 3 years wages of a tradesman. I just hope this isn't tulip mania and people in years to come will not be looking back at us as complete idiots.
    i don't think the comparison can be made with tulipmania. Of course, the value of any currency is dependent upon the faith/value people place in it. To that extent, perhaps the examples can be lumped together.

However, bitcoin offers several advantages over tulips. They can be used to pay for a cup of coffee or an expensive item totally at the other end of the scale. You don't have to be present for the transaction physically.

There is a finite number of btc - so the value should continue to increase over time - and in that way, they're inflation busting.

If you need to get out of dodge, you can bring all of your funds with you very easily.

BTC could eventually cut banks out of the equation altogether.

Can be handy to use overseas.

Decentralised so no central bank can scew with it (by printing money, etc.).

Bitcoin is not a suitable currency replacement. None of the crypto coins I have read about are. BTC is more like an asset, such as gold.

I'd like to see you pay for a cup of Coffee using BTC. You'd still be standing there several hours later and severely embarrassed, hoping your transaction was processed sometime soon.

BTC can not and will not replace banks or fiat currencies. The notion is crypto ideological claptrap.

Central banks can easily screw with it. China being a pretty good example of that. Australia has been pretty much a BTC dead zone just from the expedient of the Australian Tax office declaring it a good and making all transactions subject to the 15% GST (VAT). Imagine if they had made it illegal.

BTC is more like an asset, such as gold.

Wrong, Gold can be mined forever Bitcoin is finite. You cannot send gold to another user anywhere in the world instantaneously and without any middleman for a cost of next to nothing
    I'd like to see you pay for a cup of Coffee using BTC.

Emails used to take hours and hours to send, were hard to setup and send.

Now my grandmother can send an email by swiping her finger across the phone -Andreas M. Antonopoulos
    BTC can not and will not replace banks or fiat currencies. The notion is crypto ideological claptrap.

Central banks can easily screw with it.

No they cant, its a protocol on a consensus network. Can the government alter TCP/IP so? I don't think so, governments can`t get people to stop smoking never-mind trying to control something they don`t understand and are currently in denial about
    Australia has been pretty much a BTC dead zone just from the expedient of the Australian Tax office declaring it a good and making all transactions subject to the 15% GST (VAT). Imagine if they had made it illegal.

Funny thing is the Crypto coin Monero is flourishing in that environment. It behaves like cash, with Monero you cannot tell who held the coin last or where it came from. Its totally anonymous, untraceable and is fungible

I'd imagine that we could work on the top 10 (or 20 crypto's) by market capitisation. I know this is subject to change. However, surely it's safe to assume that they reach a certain level of market cap. based on something of substance - and not just pure hype and vapour-ware?

I wouldn't say that's any guarantee dogecoin was the second or third most valuable coin after bitcoin at one stage, and feathercoin and quark coin were in the top 5 market caps. Marketcap is important but hype and vaporware can go very far from what I've seen in the past. You have to look at the whole picture, things like financial backing, marketing, the features it offers that make it stand out from others, development backing and how much work is going into it that sort of thing. Saying that if you're interested in investing in other crypto currencies starting by marketcap isn't a bad call!

I wouldn't be comfortable with this to be honest - sounds like a bit of a crap shoot.

Oh it was a complete and utter crapshoot I did pretty well at the time out of it but I would not recommend it, this was when the altcoin craze initially took off and I got caught up in it at a time.

I'm not sure I agree. Kudos to those that are proficient enough with the Fintech to figure out the potential at an embryonic stage. My attitude would be to only take those that have built up a decent market capitalisation - as that means some level of confidence has been expressed in them to get them to that point. At that stage, there should be some info floating around to demonstrate the inherent value in said alt coin. If they are a potential bitcoin killer, it should be made pretty obvious what it is that they've got in terms of killer application by comparison.

The problem is there's a lot of misinformation out there by people who have a vested interest in promoting the crypto currency they are backing because they have a financial interest in it. For every topic you see backing an alt coin as a bitcoin killer you'll see another one denouncing it as a scamcoin so you have to be careful. Not only that but even coins that have value offering something unique in the space or surpass bitcoin in certain ways often fail. Bitcoin has global recognition which no other coin has because it was truly revolutionary at the time and it will take something special to come along to compete with that and slight variations and improvements of the formula have failed time and time again because they offer nothing significantly different then what bitcoin does.

Whether an actual bitcoin killer will be obvious when it arrives remains to be seen but I don't think it has happened yet. The only way I can see any current coin available surpassing bitcoin is if something like the potential upcoming hard fork destroys confidence in bitcoin and another coin like ethereum takes its place. There have been a lot of so called bitcoin killers over the years that have failed miserably despite being bigged up by people as being innovate or better than bitcoin so when an actual bitcoin killer comes along if it ever does it might be difficult to tell if it's the real deal or not.

It depends upon the u.s.p. surely? Otherwise, if it's a u.s.p. that BTC can incorporate themselves, then if they achieve that in a reasonable timeframe, the new crypto may be the one to get killed off.

From my limited knowledge I think it's difficult for BTC to incorporate the u.s.p's other coins offer as its not easily adaptable to big changes but maybe some one else can explain that better than me!

I don't like to gamble - well, I accept that there is a degree of gambling involved in all cases with crypto but I'd like their to be some solid rationale behind that play - rather than just gut, hope or blind faith.

When I say faith in this case I don't mean it as blind faith I mean that they have earned my faith by providing evidence that they are achieving what they have set out to accomplish and have proved it to my satisfaction. I don't like gambling either when it comes to cryptocurrency and I like to know everything I can before I back something.

Ok, well I was never expecting you to name it - but surely the advantages it brings can't be such a secret??

I can't really say anymore about this at present because the advantages are tied in with why none of this is being announced publically until the official presentation and I wouldn't feel comfortable talking about it. The presentation will be late next week or early the week after and it will be online so I'll post a link to it at the time when I have permission to if people are interested.

Patented? So presumably they have used the opensource bitcoin code and then 'patented' aspects of their own implementation - perhaps layers of functionality that sit on top of that opensource code? I dislike the idea to start with! Furthermore, can this sort of thing actually be patented - with such a patent honoured?

No the platform has been built from the ground up and is not based on bitcoin.

Bitcoin is not a suitable currency replacement. None of the crypto coins I have read about are. BTC is more like an asset, such as gold.
    BTC is not functional as a currency right now - due to the transaction time/expense conundrum - which is a relatively recent development. As regards it being a 'currency replacement', nobody has suggested that it be a complete 'replacement' - but that it can sit alongside FIAT currency.
    However, once the transaction time/expense issue is resolved (and one way or another, it will be), then its use case can be extended back to being more than just a store of value.
    I'd like to see you pay for a cup of Coffee using BTC. You'd still be standing there several hours later and severely embarrassed, hoping your transaction was processed sometime soon.
    As above - this is a temporary issue that the community are working on. I've bought a cup of coffee and other such items in the past with btc without issue. It's symptomatic of the growing pains of a currency that is increasingly being used year-on-year (albeit those increases may be modest).
    In the case of FIAT currency, nobody has suggested that it will replace same. However, in the case of banks, that's a different scenario entirely. It most certainly has the potential to severely curtail retail banking activity.

However, this has to be put into context. It took 200 odd years to make the transition from coins to paper money. It took 40 years to have our flexible friend accepted. In the BTC world, they feel that it will take 20 years to gain a mass level of adoption. Remember, BTC is only 8 years old - relatively young in the grand scheme of things.
    Central banks can easily screw with it. China being a pretty good example of that. Australia has been pretty much a BTC dead zone just from the expedient of the Australian Tax office declaring it a good and making all transactions subject to the 15% GST (VAT). Imagine if they had made it illegal.
    You misunderstood the point I was making (although you make another related, relevant point which I'll get to in a moment).

What I meant was - all FIAT currency is centralised. With a centralised system, such currencies are open to abuse - and practically all of them are abused to the detriment of the common man on the street. Take our own as a case in point. Over recent years, the ECB has followed the lead of the U.S. FED and the Bank of England and used that fancy term - quantitative easing - which plays a significant part in eroding personal wealth and increasing income inequality. BTC cannot be screwed with in this respect.

Now, on to your point as regards what steps central banks can take to damage or cause a setback to BTC...

Yes, they can ban it or make it subject to VAT or take other draconian steps. However, the law of unintended consequences applies. In the '80's, many Mexican immigrants into the United States were migrants rather than fully fledged immigrants. They worked the fields in California (and elsewhere) at harvest time and returned home each year. Regan imposed kerbs on their entry. The unintended consequence of this was that Mexican immigrants responded by evolving from being annual migrants into fully fledged permanent immigrants (i.e. they wouldn't risk going back home for fear that they simply couldn't get back into the U.S. the following season).

Prohibition doesn't work - and it certainly won't work with Bitcoin. I think the FED in the U.S. reluctantly and grudgingly accepted this in the report they issued on cryptocurrencies a year or so ago (more or less giving them their blessing ...most likely on the basis that they're better off keeping them overground rather than drive them underground - and have some chance of implimenting at least a limited level of regulation in respect of them). I'll qualify that by saying, though - that we in the west don't really have a burning need to use Bitcoin on a daily basis. However, millions in developing countries do - and this is where the traction will be gained in the first instance. Mass adoption for the rest of us ( in terms of daily use as a currency) will follow later.
    What may be a driver for adoption in the west is the interest that many governments now have in taking cash out of the equation completely. Many countries are looking towards introducing their own digital currencies. When this happens, would you prefer to use a digital currency that's centralised and one in which every single transaction you make can be analysed by god knows who - given that data will sit on some centralised server somewhere?....or then you can use a decentralised crypto instead...enter BTC (or equivalent).

Lastly, this is an analogy that gets rolled out time and time again by BTC enthusiasts - to demonstrate that major disruptive technologies may start out as an alien concept but that they can gain traction and turn the world on it's head => LINK

I wouldn't say that's any guarantee dogecoin was the second or third most valuable coin after bitcoin at one stage, and feathercoin and quark coin were in the top 5 market caps. Marketcap is important but hype and vaporware can go very far from what I've seen in the past. You have to look at the whole picture, things like financial backing, marketing, the features it offers that make it stand out from others, development backing and how much work is going into it that sort of thing. Saying that if you're interested in investing in other crypto currencies starting by marketcap isn't a bad call!
    I guess my logic here is that if it reaches a modestly significant market capitalisation, that should mean that someone has professed some merit in the currency. I get that - this, in and of itself - doesn't determine the actual merits of a crypto. However, when approaching it in this way, does it not whittle down the number of crypto's to spend time and energy into investigating?
    There are some 700+ crypto's. I am struggling to gain a real in-depth understanding of just bitcoin. I can't imagine having to check out every single crypto! Even if I gave up my day job, I don't think I could do a decent job of it.
    My thinking is to use market cap as a means towards short-listing - and immediately thereafter, invest time into figuring out what each of those such crypto's has...as presumably, they didn't get some folks to back them without some form of advancement (or alleged(!) advancement)....?
    Oh it was a complete and utter crapshoot I did pretty well at the time out of it but I would not recommend it, this was when the altcoin craze initially took off and I got caught up in it at a time.
    I appreciate that - and kudos to you for coming out the right side of it. However, I don't want to stick my grandchildren's inheritance on red or black :D There's always going to be risk of course - but I'd like to think I can at least arrive at (to me) - what would be an informed decision.
    The problem is there's a lot of misinformation out there by people who have a vested interest in promoting the crypto currency they are backing because they have a financial interest in it. For every topic you see backing an alt coin as a bitcoin killer you'll see another one denouncing it as a scamcoin so you have to be careful. Not only that but even coins that have value offering something unique in the space or surpass bitcoin in certain ways often fail.
    Couldn't agree with you more - and it's what makes evaluation of up n'coming crypto's so damn difficult (when you can't have confidence in what is being published/written on them...and the same goes for the outlook for bitcoin in that respect).
    Whether an actual bitcoin killer will be obvious when it arrives remains to be seen but I don't think it has happened yet.
    It certainly hasn't happened yet - but the issue is if and when it does happen, will we be ahead of the curve or will we see our investments in btc raised to the ground long before we have the opportunity to react? That's the fear.
    From my limited knowledge I think it's difficult for BTC to incorporate the u.s.p's other coins offer as its not easily adaptable to big changes but maybe some one else can explain that better than me!
    Again, I too have limited knowledge on the subject. However, insofar as I understand it, there's merit in what you say. By all accounts - given that BTC is active on an ongoing basis with many people actively using it in one way or another, making changes has to be very well thought out - to ensure backward compatibility and to ensure that they don't introduce bugs to the system that could compromise the currency or damage it generally. They have by far and away, the largest and most proficient development team. However, they don't take rash decisions.

There's good n' bad in this. The good I've eluded to above. The bad could mean that they are slow to react - making a developing currency far less agile to respond to changing circumstances and the competitive environment.

I can't really say anymore about this at present because the advantages are tied in with why none of this is being announced publically until the official presentation and I wouldn't feel comfortable talking about it. The presentation will be late next week or early the week after and it will be online so I'll post a link to it at the time when I have permission to if people are interested.
    No the platform has been built from the ground up and is not based on bitcoin.
    So this is proprietary? Interesting. Well, given that launch is only a few weeks away, please do come back to us with the details then. Intrigued to see what competitive angle they present.

There are some 700+ crypto's. I am struggling to gain a real in-depth understanding of just bitcoin. I can't imagine having to check out every single crypto! Even if I gave up my day job, I don't think I could do a decent job of it.
    I just run thru a simple checklist which determines which altcoin might attract my interest. Most of these newer coins don't merit attention even at first glance --blatant scams, pump 'n dump vehicles, vanity projects etc -- but those that are left I subject to the following quick review:

1) Was there an ICO ?
    2) Does the promoter(s) of the ICO hold a substantial amount of the coin?
    3) Is the coin significantly pre-mined?

If the answer to each of the above is YES, then proceed with extreme caution and fast- forward onto below ..................
    1) Is there a definitive new and disruptive feature integrated into the coin?
    2) Does the coin have its own distinctive blockchain rather than a code-copy of a another and previous alt?
    3) Does the coin have a well-architectured wallet ?

If the answer to these subsequent queries is NO, then, walk away and forget it.

All of the above is only a personal choice of methodology, of course, but it has served me well over the past couple of years. Indeed, true, it has steered me towards avoidance of DASH which has risen extraordinarily in value but it is still one alt I still wouldn't touch with a bargepole because of the criteria mentioned above. Rightly or wrongly.

Incidentally, I have this evening sold my Golem at a R.O.I. of 26% and my Factom at 8%. I know I'm overly cautious by nature and too risk-averse. But profit is profit. I'll buy back into these two coins if the price drops to a certain level because I do believe these two have some merit.
    Still holding my ETH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

I joined up to coinbase, registered a card and bought a small amount last night, today when i try to buy it takes me to my card security page and errors out when i enter my password.. same with another card... Anyone have this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I bought some from localbitcoins today, hassle free into my wallet. I sent to them to my Airbitz wallet but they still haven't shown up. Is this normal? I sent them at 9 this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

jobless wrote: »
    I joined up to coinbase, registered a card and bought a small amount last night, today when i try to buy it takes me to my card security page and errors out when i enter my password.. same with another card... Anyone have this problem?
    is there any chat or live support to contact ? sry dont use the site that's the best can come up with before someone else pitches in.

On another topic anyone noticed how btc stalled all this last week, once it re-bounced from approx 800e it barely made any way in 1000$ zone.Its like stalled now.

since like to speculate, i dont rule out there might be drop coming and we will see 600e price.

Since as few outlined even if BU is out of question, LN wont be implemented for quite some time, and questions about fork which no one knows when or how will happen, seems many are either hibernating and hoarding their coins which would seem quite accurate given how little price moved from last week.

Since while it might go bull, but in current scenario its a lot of gamble with little reward to draw new masses into buying btc as investment, when major players seem have so much pull that causes chaos between miners and developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

scamalert wrote: »
    is there any chat or live support to contact ? sry dont use the site that's the best can come up with before someone else pitches in.

On another topic anyone noticed how btc stalled all this last week, once it re-bounced from approx 800e it barely made any way in 1000$ zone.Its like stalled now.

since like to speculate, i dont rule out there might be drop coming and we will see 600e price.

Since as few outlined even if BU is out of question, LN wont be implemented for quite some time, and questions about fork which no one knows when or how will happen, seems many are either hibernating and hoarding their coins which would seem quite accurate given how little price movement from last week.

Since why it might go bull, but in current scenario its a lot of gamble with little reward to draw new masses into buying btc as investment.

No live chat... Not impressed with the site at all to be honest... Seems flakey

I don't use them but they are definitely a well established player. Go here => https://support.coinbase.com/

In the right hand bottom corner, there's a chat icon - which seems to lead to live online chat support.

well i only used p2p and belgiacoin, p2p is quite expensive option and risk of scam, and belgiacoin seems slow with bank transfer since 2-3 days is quite a difference if buying when its volatile.

Dunno if theres any other sites that take card and do instant transfer that would have good rep-think thats one of bigger drawbacks on btc is actually acquiring it, that many people face.

Hasn't it been volatile enough for you? :D
    Yes, I've been monitoring it - it's become my new obsession. It took a hell of a nose dive and recovered to a respectable level.
    I think it was prog_nastic_8 who was thinking in terms of btc likely taking a hit and getting smacked down to a level of $500. In my totally unscientific and uneducated ways, I was thinking in terms of buying in at €600 - if it takes a dive.

Since as few outlined even if BU is out of question, LN wont be implemented for quite some time, and questions about fork which no one knows when or how will happen, seems many are either hibernating and hoarding their coins which would seem quite accurate given how little price moved from last week.
    Lightening Network is a long ways off. SegWit has to come first. The speculation continues in both directions - the most recent I was reading suggesting that the B.U. crowd were going to take an aggressive, bold move and going for it with a 51% attack. Others suggest that the likely outcome will be that it continues on with core - and segwit gets enabled sooner rather than later. As is the nature of speculation, who can really tell.....
    Since while it might go bull, but in current scenario its a lot of gamble with little reward to draw new masses into buying btc as investment, when major players seem have so much pull that causes chaos between miners and developers.
    I'd agree completely. I have funds that I feel are not working for me in any way, shape or form right now (in a 'saving's' account that attracts no interest - and even if it did, well then there's dirt/usc, etc). However, I'd feel damned uneasy about buying in to btc without btc taking a substantial haircut first.

(this is all in my totally uneducated opinion.....add helpings of salt).

Well im not fixated on exact 600e level, since think last time couple years back ive read it was around 200$ that miners could still afford to run,given electricity costs per btc.

So now after so many years i think bar is somewhere along 600e, but thinking from investment perspective given both highs to make some decent risk/reward trading one would be looking at them numbers to get in/double up, but since no one is dropping the ball can only speculate.

Good luck with your waiting for €600, I'ts topped €1000 again. Hit €1013 at 17:00.

• Advertisement

Good luck with your waiting for €600, I'ts topped €1000 again. Hit €1013 at 17:00.

Am I bovvered? :D

J/K. I have a fair few btc in play already - so I have mixed emotions when I see the price go up or down these days. I have zero knowledge on the investing front - never bothered with it - bitcoin is the only thing that took my interest - so this is my entry point. With that, my understanding is that this space is incredibly volatile as it passes through endless iterations of development. BTC has 'died' before many times and will 'die' again (but hopefully struggle on and continue to grind out momentum). With that, it's entirely possible that it will freefall - given that it's facing a couple of existential issues right now.

If it does - and I still believe in it - I'll double down. If it doesn't, I'm already significantly vested in it - so I can't go too far wrong. My only ongoing concern is that amongst all the endless cryptocurrency crud, a challenger will emerge with a killer application that will surge ahead of BTC. It doesn't seem likely right now - and I would think that BTC could adapt to that situation. Notwithstanding that, if it did happen and BTC flatlined, we could be talking about a complete loss.

With that, I've been trying to educate myself - as there's so much to learn about this whole crypto malarkey. Other posters here have been helpful to that end - so please continue to post (I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to see more discussion here for the same reason).

Advertisement