Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property tax letters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

This the point where some posters would provide links to back all their arguments, or lies as you call them. Not this time I'm afraid. Too little time on my hands.

You can shout liar at me and you make my argument look weak. My argument still stands. We need to seriously cut spending before we raise any more taxes. Simple, fact, end of story!

That's why I'm posting this in a property tax thread. So that people, like youself, who believe everyone should pay to keep a very cosseted minority in the lifestyle they've settled very nicely into, they are wrong.

WE CANNOT AFFORD IT! What part of that argument can't people understand?

Correction: it's not a cosseted minority. It's nearly the majority at this stage -

PS
    Pensioners
    Unemployed

Total No? 1.3million?
    No. Of Working Population? 1.3million?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

This the point where some posters would provide links to back all their arguments, or lies as you call them. Not this time I'm afraid. Too little time on my hands.

You can shout liar at me and you make my argument look weak. My argument still stands. We need to seriously cut spending before we raise any more taxes. Simple, fact, end of story!

That's why I'm posting this in a property tax thread. So that people, like youself, who believe everyone should pay to keep a very cosseted minority in the lifestyle they've settled very nicely into, they are wrong.

WE CANNOT AFFORD IT! What part of that argument can't people understand?

So in other words, you cannot backup your lies claims..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

amen wrote: »
    Do you own a car and if so do you pay motor/road tax?

If so this is the same situation.

Property Tax in Ireland is not new. It was abolished after the general election in 77. FF were well behind in the polls and promised to abolish rates if they won.

They duly won and abolished rates. Of course that lead to a whole other raft of issues in the mid 80's.

If you think property tax is illegal I assume you think all taxes are illegal as they all derive from the the same source i.e. our Government consisting of freely elected TDs.

For road maintaineance which there does not seem to be a whole lot of these days. And btw what taxes and stealth taxes have been introduced since these abolished rates you speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

For road maintaineance which there does not seem to be a whole lot of these days.

Motor tax is no more allocated to road maintenance than VAT, or any other tax is - it all goes into the same central revenue pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Haven't got one yet

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Still no letter here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Latest update in the link below but

LPT letters issued, including through ROS 1,193,154

http://www.revenue.ie/en/press/2013/pr-050413-local-property-tax.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

alastair wrote: »
    Motor tax is no more allocated to road maintenance than VAT, or any other tax is - it all goes into the same central revenue pool.

Not true, motor tax is gathered by dept of environment and is paid back in its entirety to the LAs.

A minimum of 1/3 of motor tax must go on road maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

I didn't get a letter either.. but a thought did occur to me yesterday, letters are sent out to home owners stating which tax band their property is situated in eg. €120k - €150k, and they pay accordingly... what if the house is insured for €250k, will insurance companies be required to give home owners a rebate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The market value is used for LPT.

You insure for the rebuild cost.

These two figures may be different, far apart, and not related.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Geuze wrote: »
    The market value is used for LPT.

You insure for the rebuild cost.

And replacement of contents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Ogham wrote: »
    They are just trying to match a property with a person. It's proably easier for them to match to one person that they already have on record as a current or recent tax payer.

The estimate is just an average for all houses in the electoral area. It is not an individual valuation - you don't have to go with it.
    See http://www.moneyguideireland.com/property-tax-letter-estimates-differ-from-valuation-guide.html

I got no letter (not that I have any intention of paying anyway, but thats another story)

However my brother, and both of my parents got letters for the one house. Obviously they are using some crappy automated system to match address to name.

If you're registered on Revenue Online Service (ROS) you'll get your LPT letter by email. I did.

I'm self-employed, They have no access to my bank account. They can only send letters, or emails demanding whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I got no letter (not that I have any intention of paying anyway, but thats another story)

However my brother, and both of my parents got letters for the one house. Obviously they are using some crappy automated system to match address to name.

If they check the letters closely - there will be a difference in the addresses - it may be very slight like Road or Rd.
    Eac letter will have adifferent Property Id number. Revenue probably have 3 slightly different spellings of the address associated with 3 different people - so they have treated it as 3 different houses. You family shouldn't just ignore the extra lettere - tehy need to get in touch with Revenue to let them know the situation -or they will end up owing 3 lots of Prop Tax 1

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

NIMAN wrote: »
    Still no letter here either.

Its arrived.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ogham wrote: »
    If they check the letters closely - there will be a difference in the addresses - it may be very slight like Road or Rd.
    Eac letter will have adifferent Property Id number. Revenue probably have 3 slightly different spellings of the address associated with 3 different people - so they have treated it as 3 different houses. You family shouldn't just ignore the extra lettere - tehy need to get in touch with Revenue to let them know the situation -or they will end up owing 3 lots of Prop Tax 1

This. My sister got a letter delivered to my parents home about a house. She's never owned any property or had a mortgage. My parents (since they got the letter) got onto the Revenue immediately and explained the situation, the Revenue gave them absolutely no problems and apologised for the mistake and corrected the records. It is very important that this call is made because it's the only way the Revenue can know that a letter was sent out in error. The Revenue will be happy you called, they do not want to be chasing after someone for payment in six months only to find out the person never owned the property in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

I'M still waiting on the ptl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Looks like the bulk of them have gone out. http://www.moneyguideireland.com/have-all-the-property-tax-forms-gone-out-yet.html

Revenue are saying to ask for a form if you haven't had one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

i have time yet ,, i not doing there job for them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I got my letter last week.

Firstly, I would like to point out that I have no, nor ever had any intention for paying a tax on something I've already paid stamp duty on, but that is irrelevant for this thread.

I found it interesting that the letter I received valued my house at the higher tier than the map on the lpt Web site.

I can think of two possible reasons for this:

They hope people will mistake the letter for a demand, or hope they are not computer/Internet savvy that they could compare on the site. End result being thousands overpaying the tax. Which revenue have already stated "anyone overpaying the tax will not get a refund".

Or

They hope the people will make contact to correct the 'mistake' or register their house on the lower band, therefore tying abd individual to the property.

I will not pay a cent in property tax to a govt whose head of said himself that it was morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home.

I'd also like to mention that the fact labour may be forced to jump ship from the coalition, a general election will have to take place. If that happens, the lpt could be scrapped.

Revenue themselves said "no refund" so keep that in mind anyone wishing to pay early.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If the property tax were scrapped, it wouldn't remove anyone's outstanding liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Got my letter and did indeed laugh at the amount they are seeking. They have my 1 bed apartment in the 200-250k range despite being purchased for well below that 3 years ago..

It is also higher than the valuation guidelines on their website I affectionately call "agent orange"

If the property tax were scrapped, it wouldn't remove anyone's outstanding liability.

FF and SF will, with many other parties offer is abolition along with any fines etc in return for votes.

If under 300,000 public sector workers can send a clear message to the govt with the collapse of the cpa, they really should have taken notice at the 6-800, 000 homeowners who didn't pay the hhc.

Oh and on that note, I didn't pay or register for the hhc either. Despite all the threats it wasn't mentioned in revenues letter.

Scare mongering failure again. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You're claiming that not only will SF and FF scrap the property tax (which is possible) but also that they will give an amnesty to those who hadn't paid and not refund those who had (unlikely)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

OK, so all joking aside.

I dont agree with paying this (for a raft of reasons) but my other half thinks its OK to pay.

I dont own the house, its owned jointly but I got a letter.

So why am I being asked to pay it when I dont own it (can this be split?) No sign of any other letters coming to us! And How can I not pay my 50% portion?

I think its a fair argument :o Anybody else in a similar situation?!

For the record we dont *own* a property, its in 25-35% neg equity...depending on which valuation you go with!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

still no letters up here (and its paid for on houshold charge and the other one on scond home charge)

You're claiming that not only will SF and FF scrap the property tax (which is possible) but also that they will give an amnesty to those who hadn't paid and not refund those who had (unlikely)?

Well, if people take my advice, and don't pay early, if a new govt is indeed formed they wouldn't necessarily be refunding too many to refund.

Aside from that. I bought my home in 06 paid stamp duty on it yet I now am expected to pay property tax on it.
    Someone buying this year, paying no stamp duty and will be property tax exempt until (2016? )

Wheres my refund or amnesty?

SamHall wrote: »
    Well, if people take my advice, and don't pay early, if a new govt is indeed formed they wouldn't necessarily be refunding too many to refund.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

SamHall wrote: »

Aside from that. I bought my home in 06 paid stamp duty on it yet I now am expected to pay property tax on it.
    Someone buying this year, paying no stamp duty and will be property tax exempt until (2016? )

Wheres my refund or amnesty?
    Give me your tracker mortgage and I'll pay the tax for you.....

Advertisement