Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property tax letters

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here?

Sorry on phone auto text can have a mind of its own.

What i was saying was that if people hold out paying this until they absolutely must, if a new govt is formed before July, there won't be that many needed refunded.

Im not encouraging people not to pay mind you. I won't be paying, but that's my decision.

bidiots wrote: »
    Give me your tracker mortgage and I'll pay the tax for you.....

Who says I've a tracker mortgage?

I don't even know what that is:pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

So, you're advising people not to pay, on the assumption that a.) there will be a new government, b.) who'll abolish property tax and c.) give an amnesty to those who haven't paid and refund those who have.

What could possibly go wrong? I mean, it's a dead cert that all of those three things will happen and nobody will be left nursing a tax bill with interest and penalties after following your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

SamHall wrote: »
    FF and SF will, with many other parties offer is abolition along with any fines etc in return for votes.

If under 300,000 public sector workers can send a clear message to the govt with the collapse of the cpa, they really should have taken notice at the 6-800, 000 homeowners who didn't pay the hhc.

Oh and on that note, I didn't pay or register for the hhc either. Despite all the threats it wasn't mentioned in revenues letter.

Scare mongering failure again. :rolleyes:

SF mentioned refunding it, but I never heard that mentioned again during news coverage on the news or anything I read. Maybe it came up during the Ard Fheis, but the only thing I heard was they would abolish it, which makes me thing it wasn't mentioned again, too populist not to be the headline news.

I suspect they dropped the refund policy because its a bit dumb and unrealistic really, and would only come back to haunt them from those gullible enough to swallow it.

I always thought FF just disagreed with the implementation of the tax, not the tax itself.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

So, you're advising people not to pay, on the assumption that a.) there will be a new government, b.) who'll abolish property tax and c.) give an amnesty to those who haven't paid and refund those who have..

No I'm not. I'm confused how you could interpret
    What i was saying was that if people hold out paying this until they absolutely must
    And
    Im not encouraging people not to pay mind you
    in any other way, than how it was written.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    SF mentioned refunding it, but I never heard that mentioned again during news coverage on the news or anything I read. Maybe it came up during the Ard Fheis, but the only thing I heard was they would abolish it, which makes me thing it wasn't mentioned again, too populist not to be the headline news.

I suspect they dropped the refund policy because its a bit dumb and unrealistic really, and would only come back to haunt them from those gullible enough to swallow it.

I always thought FF just disagreed with the implementation of the tax, not the tax itself.

I agree K9.

While I welcomed their opposition to it, it was sheer ludicrous to offer a refund.

They would have been much better to say that's abolish it.

I honestly can see a general election coming up before the summer. If labour vote through the pay cut, that's the end of labour.

Don't, they'll have to walk from govt.

Who'd have thought less than 300k people could have caused such an upset to govt?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No I'm not. I'm confused how you could interpret
    And in any other way, than how it was written.

Sorry for misunderstanding, but it wasn't clear that you were advocating that people wait till the deadline to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Who'd have thought less than 300k people could have caused such an upset to govt?

Only because an Irish Government hasn't faced down a public sector union in a very long time. If ever? FF just paid them off, easiest option, FG/Lab are in a position where the pay bill needs to come down but FF negotiated no job cuts so the only thing left is pay cuts. If FG/Lab don't enact some kind of unilateral cut they will lose all bargaining power with the unions for the rest of their term in Government. Not that they really had much to begin with anyway.

nesf wrote: »
    Only because an Irish Government hasn't faced down a public sector union in a very long time. If ever? FF just paid them off, easiest option, FG/Lab are in a position where the pay bill needs to come down but FF negotiated no job cuts so the only thing left is pay cuts. If FG/Lab don't enact some kind of unilateral cut they will lose all bargaining power with the unions for the rest of their term in Government. Not that they really had much to begin with anyway.

I agree.

Vote buying has returned though. SF were very quick to support the PS following the colkapse of the cpa. Possibly hoping to mop up disillusioned labour voters.

nesf wrote: »

Did FF say no job cuts ever? Even if they did, would that not be up for discussion under a new Government/deal?

As far as I know the drop in numbers is ahead of schedule, the redundancy scheme was an success in that regard. I presume that is down to more than predicted taking the redundancy package and not replacing temporary staff let go.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

If you think the Property Tax is unfair or simply just don't like it, this could be a plan!.....

http://www.attackthetax.com/news.html[/QUOTE]

Thats great. I'm in.

antoobrien wrote: »
    What a joke

There was nothing illegal or unconsitutional about the property tax that existed pre 1997, so what makes these charges/taxes illegal and unconsitutional?

They probably might explain it in the video clip.

Stamp duty is a transaction tax and has no bearing on the current discussion.

What is it a transactiion tax on?

amen wrote: »
    our Government consisting of freely elected TDs.

That dont have a free vote.

dissed doc wrote: »
    It makes a lot of sense to have a property tax because it doesn't have so many exemptions like income tax which is amazingly low in Ireland for people on 20-35k compared to Germany for example, and punishingly high for people on salaries over that (again compared to Germany for example).

It's quite equitable, which is clearly why some groups are angry.

Do German citizens get anything in return for paying property tax?

darkhorse wrote: »

Loads, they also get loads for their high Income Tax, and the mandatory Health Insurance contributions, which even those on welfare pay? A great Health service.

Their average wage isn't much more than it was in 2000 though.

K-9 wrote: »
    Did FF say no job cuts ever? Even if they did, would that not be up for discussion under a new Government/deal?

As far as I know the drop in numbers is ahead of schedule, the redundancy scheme was an success in that regard. I presume that is down to more than predicted taking the redundancy package and not replacing temporary staff let go.

Sorry, I missed this. I think no forced redundancies was agreed on under the first Croke Park deal. I'm too tired to go look it up though but that's what I remember being reported. I think there was a requirement for certain savings to be made elsewhere for this to hold true but then we get into some complicated discussions about what savings have actually been made and how much of it can be attributed to what Croke Park delivered where the Unions can easily take the high estimate and the Government the low one and we have a nasty scrap.

darkhorse wrote: »

Yeah they do. They are sensible, they want high levels of service provision so everyone gets hit fairly hard in the pocket including many of the sacred cows of Irish political life. Their version of the Dole is also quite different as you drop from a fairly generous level (60-67% of your old salary up to a maximum of just under 3,000 Euro a month) to after 12 months just 382 Euro a month plus extra to cover housing, heating and health expenses. If you refuse to take a suitable job offer you can lose your benefits for 12 weeks (various rules defines what's suitable, for the first four months for instance it's any job that requires the qualifications you needed for your last job, after that any job requiring a lesser qualification, once you go onto the lower rate of benefit any job at all that pays more than your current benefit and involves 3 hours or less of travel time a day is considered suitable). Repeatedly refuse suitable job offers and they remove the benefit permanently. There are obviously some limits on this and they can't force anyone to take any job.

As K-9 said, their wage level is low, it's been kept low by design (somewhat controversially but in the long run for an export nation it's the right thing to do, it just requires thinking alien to most English speaking people/unions).

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

I believe Revenue are now sending "reminder" letters about the tax, to those who have not paid up yet.

My wife received such a letter, but it's the first one she's received!

It is for a property she rented up until 4 years ago, but has had nothing to do with since.

The letter was a bit nasty in that it said if she didn't reply in 7 days, her employer would be instructed to deduct the money (€427) from her wages.

It said some proof would be needed that she wasn't the owner, e.g. a copy of the lease, which she no longer has.

But I rang revenue and simply said that she rented the property four years ago, and is not the owner, and they said that's grand, they'll remove her name from that property, and no instruction will be sent to her employer. They didn't even ask if we knew who the actual owner was! (as it happens, we don't)

And the valuation was way off of course (small bedsit/flat in Dublin 6 valued at 450,000-500,000) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

howlingcat wrote: »
    Hi all
    I got my valuation in the post today and I think it's time the Irish stood up for themselves.
    Look what Cyprus did in 2 days am we have done nothing in 5 years .
    I'm not paying and that's that.
    It's unfair and unjustified tax
    I believe we should all have the property tax letters within the week and what should be the next step I wonder as a simple boycott is not sufficient

Pay your taxes and stop expecting your neighbour to pay them for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement