Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money "Stolen" from Garda station

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gary s

I wonder how this will effect the people that robbed the post office the evidence has been tampered with now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

TINA1984 wrote: »
    LOL good one. If successfully prosecuted all this Garda is going to get is a proverbial slap on the wrist. Remember, chances are this Garda comes from a good home, a 'well respected' family etc.

That's IF it even makes it to court. Remember, where cases involving Gardai are concerned, frequently its a case of them getting off on a technicality iykwim ;)

Why would he get treated any different to anyone else when it comes to sentancing? If you're a regular scumbag you need to clock up a whopping amount of thefts before you even get considered for jail. And people from every walk of life get off on technicalities or just bad decisions by judges and juries. Stop trying to make a conspiracy theory out of nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

gary s wrote: »
    I wonder how this will effect the people that robbed the post office the evidence has been tampered with now
    Wasn't it discovered when the rightful owner came to collect? I'd assume the trial is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

SB2013 wrote: »
    Why would he get treated any different to anyone else when it comes to sentancing? If you're a regular scumbag you need to clock up a whopping amount of thefts before you even get considered for jail. And people from every walk of life get off on technicalities or just bad decisions by judges and juries. Stop trying to make a conspiracy theory out of nothing.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/detective-garda-cleared-on-technicality-of-dangerous-driving-29066308.html

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/garda-cleared-of-assaulting-bouncers-in-nightclub-26747405.html

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/taxi-row-garda-cleared-by-court-25965261.html

That's after a 20 second google search. No doubt you're going to roll out the old 'bad apples in every barrel' excuse now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Ya he was desperate to have a good cheltenham.

He can go for addiction counselling in the joy!

How old are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Why would he get treated any different to anyone else when it comes to sentancing?

Because it appears in this country being a Guard or Prison Officer gets you a reduced sentence, as successfully argued in the Dean Foley case;

Today, Foley's Defence Counsel Donal O'Sullivan told the court that he had failed to mention yesterday a principle in law, which accepted that some mitigation in sentencing is granted to former guards and prison officers because they were likely to suffer more in prison.

Frankly I think the principle is backwards. Those who uphold the law should be held to the highest standards. A breach of the trust that society puts in them should be considered an aggravating factor, not a mitigating one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

kraggy wrote: »
    How old are you?

Old enough to know stealing is wrong!

I suppose the guard had a tough upbringing. Not to mention to public sector cuts forced him into it your honour....

Rascasse wrote: »
    Because it appears in this country being a Guard or Prison Officer gets you a reduced sentence, as successfully argued in the Dean Foley case;

Frankly I think the principle is backwards. Those who uphold the law should be held to the highest standards. A breach of the trust that society puts in them should be considered an aggravating factor, not a mitigating one.

Let me respond for Garda SB2013 as I can probably guess what his/her reply is going to be:

"shur the evil crims we give our life to protect you from for terrible money get off with suspended sentence's everyday, so what if its a garda who gets away with it this time?"

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Great work by the Garda to catch this lad.
    Well done. They have to be complimented on catching this lad especially as he is reported to be one of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭opti76

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0517/321277-garda-who-stole-from-elderly-woman-jailed/ a 2 second google search... google "Garda Jailed" .. as opposed to " garda gets off the hook".. you never know what you might find

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Why don't you do a search to see how many gardai have been prosecuted by the ombudsman. No conspiracy just the way it is here they are a law unto themselves.
    I doubt anything will happen to him, he'll get a good telling off thats about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

risteard7 wrote: »
    Or else look for the fella with the gambling addiction

Wasn't the grand national on around the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Indeed. A 20 second google search threw up plenty to prove otherwise but of course its easier to ignore that, huh?

3 &2 year sentence

3 year sentence

6 month sentence

3 month sentence

6 week sentence

Shall I keep going or has your ridiculous point been rubbished enough yet??

opti76 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0517/321277-garda-who-stole-from-elderly-woman-jailed/ a 2 second google search... google "Garda Jailed" .. as opposed to " garda gets off the hook".. you never know what you might find

You think I linked to all the case's I found when I googled 'Garda Assault'?

there's plenty of more links which I didn't link to. Beating up people in Waterford was one (no sentence), and another one where they beat up some lad in his bed.

Make's me wonder, for every story that has made it to the media. What have Gards managed to get away with over the years?

You think I linked to all the case's I found when I googled 'Garda Assault'?

there's plenty of more links which I didn't link to. Beating up people in Waterford was one (no sentence), and another one where they beat up some lad in his bed.

Make's me wonder, for every story that has made it to the media. What have Gards managed to get away with over the years?

Conspiracy theories
    >

Indeed. A 20 second google search threw up plenty to prove otherwise but of course its easier to ignore that, huh?

3 &2 year sentence

3 year sentence

6 month sentence

3 month sentence

6 week sentence

Shall I keep going or has your ridiculous point been rubbished enough yet??

So what about lads like this then eh?

http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/2013/01/14/garda-sergeant-cleared-of-sexually-assaulting-colleague/

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0207/297439-murphyk/

For such a small force numbers wise, the GS definitely appears to have a interesting culture within it.
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/gardai-cleared-of-teenager-assault-28642279.html

Conspiracy theories
    >

Arse licking forum thataway!
    > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1023

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Wow , did AGS take your cans off ya in your youth??

The links you provided stated that they were brought to court and cleared!! So now tell me are you bitter about judges or the guards? As the guards were the ones who arrested/ built a case against their colleagues and the bit where they were cleared was the part where the guards have no part to play , ie judges or jury's decide if guilty or not.

Think before you post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Old enough to know stealing is wrong!

I suppose the guard had a tough upbringing. Not to mention to public sector cuts forced him into it your honour....

Just like drug addicts, gambling addicts don't think clearly when they need to get their fix.

You seem dismissive of the fact that it's an addiction. Addicts don't see a choice when it comes to right or wrong.

Don't get me wrong, he should be punished if a. he took the money, and b. he has a gambling addiction.

It's just the tone of your post I was referring to.

Have they computers in Dochas ? :D:D

• Advertisement

I bet I could find 100 times that amount in non-Gardaí who got cleared in court. You appear to believe a person is guilty no matter what the court decision.

The Waterford case would seem to show that Gardaí get treated much harsher than non-Gardaí.
    juice1304 wrote: »
    Why don't you do a search to see how many gardai have been prosecuted by the ombudsman. No conspiracy just the way it is here they are a law unto themselves.
    I doubt anything will happen to him, he'll get a good telling off thats about it.

I never said the Ombudsman was competent or useful, i said they weren't corrupt.

I bet I could find 100 times that amount in non-Gardaí who got cleared in court. You appear to believe a person is guilty no matter what the court decision.

Well duh! there is 4m+ people in the state who aren't Gardai, there is 10k who are. Yet out of that 10k there appears to be plenty of 'bad apples', that we know about....

hawkelady wrote: »
    Wow , did AGS take your cans off ya in your youth??

The links you provided stated that they were brought to court and cleared!! So now tell me are you bitter about judges or the guards? As the guards were the ones who arrested/ built a case against their colleagues and the bit where they were cleared was the part where the guards have no part to play , ie judges or jury's decide if guilty or not.

Think before you post.

Are you thick?

Clearly I posted those links to demonstrate how Gardai have a tendency to get away with things. One of them shows a Gardai on the piss who crashed on the M50, got away with it. The other is a gard beating up a cabbie and got his on-duty buddies to back him up, got away with it. The last one about the 15 gards on the rampage in a club, where the bouncers pressed charges but then mysteriously withdrew them. To the bystander that should definitely set the alarm bells ringing!

But oh no, to critique the gards is to be paranoid or some such if we're to listen to the Gardai and their sychophants on here.

Mod

TINA1984, don't post in this thread again.

The Waterford case would seem to show that Gardaí get treated much harsher than non-Gardaí..

You seriously believe that was a harsh sentence? 4 on one and turn the CCTV away to give him a good hiding?

A quick google and I can see sentences of 1 to 4 years for assault causing harm. Clearly their defence teams though that the legal principle had been applied otherwise they would have appealed like Foley's lawyers appealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

How long do you think this will take this to get to court etc ?? Will it before the end of the year??

hawkelady wrote: »
    How long do you think this will take this to get to court etc ?? Will it before the end of the year??

I doubt it, unless he admits it. Court time here is incredibly badly managed. Most cases on the news tend to be at least a year from the alleged offence, sometimes two or three.

You seriously believe that was a harsh sentence? 4 on one and turn the CCTV away to give him a good hiding?

A quick google and I can see sentences of 1 to 4 years for assault causing harm. Clearly their defence teams though that the legal principle had been applied otherwise they would have appealed like Foley's lawyers appealed.

I'd appreciate a link to that google. I've never seen an assault case where the defendant got a custodial sentance without any previous convictions or any injury to the victim. In fact, I've never seen a section 3 assault charge where there is such an absence of injuries. I've no time for Gardaí that abuse their powers but neither have I time for people who abuse Gardaí simply because of their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

I'd appreciate a link to that google. I've never seen an assault case where the defendant got a custodial sentance without any previous convictions or any injury to the victim. In fact, I've never seen a section 3 assault charge where there is such an absence of injuries. I've no time for Gardaí that abuse their powers but neither have I time for people who abuse Gardaí simply because of their job.

How do three people assault a victim without causing injury?:confused:

• Advertisement

I doubt it, unless he admits it. Court time here is incredibly badly managed. Most cases on the news tend to be at least a year from the alleged offence, sometimes two or three.

If he admits it he will be entitled to be considered for an adult caution. It's possible he could be refused a caution in which case he could be charged, plead guilty and get the benefit of the probation act in one day. Either way it'll probably not make national news. Very few thefts do.

Advertisement