Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money "Stolen" from Garda station

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

Id say it could have been taken to pay off the weekly supermacs bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

mikehunts wrote: »
    Id say it could have been taken to pay off the weekly supermacs bill.

Ask Sepico, they pay for nothing. ( the film was on last night)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

humbert wrote: »
    You used Garda Donahoe who was killed on duty and therefore cannot be maligned to counter an insult levied at the Gardai in general. Essentially associating the majority of gardai with garda Donahoe so as to put them beyond reproach.
    No, I picked Garda Donahoe because most people in this country know gardai just like him, decent people doing an honest job and often very active in the community. I was responding to a post which decided to label all Gardai as "pigs" which I found offensive as it disregarded those like Garda Donahoe who sre doing a good job.
    Anyone who knows my posting history will also know that I have often been critical of the institutional failings of AGS and indeed highly critical of those who do wrong. But I also have experience of dealing with really good and highly professional officers in the force, including incidentally in Balbriggan, the station in which this incident occured.
    I do not believe the Gardi are beyond reproach, but I certainly wouldn't tar them all as "pigs".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Ask Sepico, they pay for nothing. ( the film was on last night)

Serpico typo! I doubt Saudi emirates "pulverized" the money :D

You'd think Garda could resist this temptation?! is like the kid who couldn't resist taking the €50 ma left on the mantelpiece despite the fact it was bound to be noticed. But again people in power's greatest weakness is €€€€

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Well not just this but in all the stuff that has come out recently about AGS a lot of gardai have looked the other way or backing their buddy. As a whole yes I bet there isn't one gard out there that has let a colleagues wrong doing slide.

To many cowards in the force that won't stand up to the criminals in the uniform.

They're a law upon themselves and can do what they want, this needs to change because at the moment AGS is just one big 'members' club.

I suppose some will always focus on negatives, plenty of Guards have also been brought to justice for wrong doing, there are plenty of imperfections but a law onto themselves is a bit over dramatic.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

This isn't the first time this has happened, and it won't be the last.

I wonder was there ever anyone got for this?
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/50000-cash-goes-missing-from-garda-drugs-hq-25925942.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

jeez will somebody in the force just check on all that coke that was found in cork in november 2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

This isn't the first time this has happened, and it won't be the last.

I wonder was there ever anyone got for this?
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/50000-cash-goes-missing-from-garda-drugs-hq-25925942.html

Ha. They even manage to blame Drugs for the disappearance, Ahem theft.

"At this stage we don't know whether the money was stolen or mislaid. It could even have been destroyed if mistakenly included in a consignment of cannabis which was being burnt."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

K-9 wrote: »
    I suppose some will always focus on negatives, plenty of Guards have also been brought to justice for wrong doing, there are plenty of imperfections but a law onto themselves is a bit over dramatic.

If anything you under estimate garda corruption, sure most of them do a grand job most of the time but gardai doing what they want, lying in court, planting evidence, beatings, its all to common from the same gards that are grand most of the time, also it takes an extraordinary set of circumstances for a gard to be actually convicted. if a gard is found doing something wrong he/she is most likely gonna get a bollocking of a superior and it sweep under the carpet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Boombastic wrote: »
    This
    I was driving behind a squad car the other night at around 12 midnight. We had both come out of the same shop. I was behind them for 2Km on the motorway before they decided to turn on their headlights.. The proceeded around several roundabouts and junctions without indicating Who do I report this to?
    I see this all the time. Gardai driving poorly, Gardai breaking the rule of the road.
    Example - there is a no left turn from Glenageary Road Lower into Crosthwaite Park South between 7am and 10am. It's a handy shortcut to the station in Dun Laoghaire. I have lost count of the number of times I have seen Garda cars make that turn illegally. And yet they still regularly have a Garda on Crosthwaite park stopping motorists and warning/fining them for making the turn.

TOP TIP: If you want the general public to obey the rules of the road, try setting an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

They also carry offensive weapons. i wonder has anyone reported them for that?

SB2013 wrote: »
    They also carry offensive weapons. i wonder has anyone reported them for that?
    Certain Gardai are required to carry them to do their job.

Nipping through an illegal shortcut, driving poorly or parking dangerously outside a shop is not required for them to do their job.

Is SB2013 your actual badge number?

Hoop66 wrote: »
    Certain Gardai are required to carry them to do their job.

Nipping through an illegal shortcut, driving poorly or parking dangerously outside a shop is not required for them to do their job.

Ah yes, I can just imagine the scene as a man is being beaten in a shop and the Gardai are outside looking for a legal parking spot.

It's amazing how some people can't admit that there is a corrupt element in the Gardai and deflect the issue the whole time. It is no wonder that corruption is never tackled. Turn a blind eye and deny, deny, deny. It really highlights the level of intelligence some people have.

Boombastic wrote: »
    It's amazing how some people can't admit that there is a corrupt element in the Gardai and deflect the issue the whole time. It is no wonder that corruption is never tackled. Turn a blind eye and deny, deny, deny. It really highlights the level of intelligence some people have.

Not as amazing as how people use individual encounters to bash a force of over 10,000 spread across the whole country. In fact, i don't think I've ever heard anyone say there wasn't an element of corruption. The bone of contention is on how large this element is.

And it's ironic that you comment on peoples intelligence while at the same time attempting to debate a point with the nothing more than an insult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Oranage2 wrote: »

If anything you under estimate garda corruption, sure most of them do a grand job most of the time but gardai doing what they want, lying in court, planting evidence, beatings, its all to common from the same gards that are grand most of the time, also it takes an extraordinary set of circumstances for a gard to be actually convicted. if a gard is found doing something wrong he/she is most likely gonna get a bollocking of a superior and it sweep under the carpet.
    What's a gard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Theres a hole in the baggie
    dear shatter , dear shatter
    theres a hole in the baggie
    dear shatter , a hole

feel free to add to.....

Lelantos wrote: »
    What's a gard?

The detectives will have to be called in to crack that one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Not as amazing as how people use individual encounters to bash a force of over 10,000 spread across the whole country. In fact, i don't think I've ever heard anyone say there wasn't an element of corruption. The bone of contention is on how large this element is.

That's a common response though. Accepting there is some corruption but implying that mostly things are grand. In the very recent past we've had reports of widespread wiping of automatic fines, a member of the public being assaulted and now a pretty major theft. It doesn't mean most gardai are corrupt but it does reflect very badly on the whole force.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, I can just imagine the scene as a man is being beaten in a shop and the Gardai are outside looking for a legal parking spot.
    Had they been attending an incident I would hardly have mentioned it, would I? I have seen, on numerous occasions, gardai buying their lunch with the squad car parked on double yellows outside.

I see things like this regularly, but I suppose it's just me. Those two bad apples are following me around.

I'm not trying to suggest that all Gardai are corrupt. The point I am making is that if they wish the public to obey the rules of the road, then the very least they should do is obey them themselves.

It is my contention that Gardai regularly breaking the law, however minor, for their own convenience reflects poorly on AGS as a whole and diminshes the respect ordinary people have for them.

As does the incident in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

humbert wrote: »
    That's a common response though. Accepting there is some corruption but implying that mostly things are grand. In the very recent past we've had reports of widespread wiping of automatic fines, a member of the public being assaulted and now a pretty major theft. It doesn't mean most gardai are corrupt but it does reflect very badly on the whole force.

Don't mention Kieran Boylan either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

A few Gardai out of thousands are majorly corrupt,who'da thunk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

A few Gardai out of thousands are majorly corrupt,who'da thunk it.

So that's okay?

Its a real Irish mentality to just accept things how they are, its no wonder we are where we are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Indo makes a connection between online gambling and Garda
    Sources say that online gambling is now a significant cause of debt among members desperate for cash. It is understood three investigations are under way over missing money from evidence, the one in Balbriggan, one in Dublin city and another in the south-east.
    It was learnt last week that gardai in the Balbriggan district were asked to contribute €70 each to make up for the stolen cash, which had been held in a safe in a first-floor office in the station. The office is unattended outside office hours. Gardai objected to the idea of a levy and refused to pay.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fears-of-rise-in-gambling-among-gardai-after-theft-29150282.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 invincibl3

And it's ironic that you comment on peoples intelligence while at the same time attempting to debate a point with the nothing more than an insult.

Its more ironic that you've mounted your high horse here with this post when you yourself have been inferring that people aren't intelligent in this thread because they have a different opinion to you.

So tell us then, seeing as the majority of your posting history is Garda Siochana related, are you a member of the force? If you are then surely you're aware of the numerous negative incidents involving the GS that we know about which have been reported in recent times.

How a police force with such a small number of members has such a large number of black marks against it I'll never know. Incidences like I've mentioned in my previous posts suggest that the culture within the GS needs to be changed and modernised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Predicted statement from the GRA.

"The underlying issue here is not really about the money that may or may not have been stolen.
    The government need to realize that until they give the Garda a 50% increase in salary and a preferential rate of tax then this thing will happen. I for one want to know what Enda Kenny plans to do to address this."

Stop making fun of our esteemed Gardai. Do you realise how difficult it is to raise kids and run two homes on only 80k a year including overtime and allowances? Imagine having to work a full 30 years before a nice little pension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

true wrote: »
    Stop making fun of our esteemed Gardai. Do you realise how difficult it is to raise kids and run two homes on only 80k a year including overtime and allowances? Imagine having to work a full 30 years before a nice little pension.

How inaccurate can you get?
    Do you have any actual data to back up that bullshít?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Do you have any actual data to back up that bullshít?
    certainly. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-pension-worth-11m-26518918.html

a few grand in cash for solving a robbery is almost nothing, the least the Gardai deserve is a bit of a tip. You would like a tip too if you could retire aged 49 with a pension pot worth only 1.1 million. The Gardai risk their lives, give them a bit of slack here.

Advertisement