Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭conmo

Well lads, just finished up the LLB and im going to sit 4 in October.. When would people recommend to start studying??

Also is it possible to just buy 2013 manuals from Griffith,Indep Colleges etc.. without paying for the full course fees... or would 2012 manuals be sufficient for the exams??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

chops018 wrote: »
    Guys, just wondering, I know when you pass your final exam you have 5 years from the 31st of December of that year to obtain an apprenticeship. I have 2 exams left, would I actually be better off doing one in October and one in March, and then this will give me basically an extra year, or near enough, to get an apprenticeship (I think).

Is that correct, and would anyone even advise it if it is?

Yes my letter said I'd 5 years from Dec 2013 so you gain an extra 6 months if you finish in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 happyuser123

ShamblesB wrote: »
    Hi, I didnt use grids or do any courses but just from my own experience of having sat company in March, separate legal personality and the rule in turquands seem to come up as 2 questions every year and restriction of directors and contracts between directors and the company seem to come up quite regularly too! So thats s.29, s.31 and duty of disclosure etc. I'd say make a head start with that until you get your hands on grids! :)

Thanks Shambles!

What 4 modules would people recommend sitting in October? I was thinking property criminal tort and equity? Seems to be a day in between each exam! Will next years timetable be the same sort of lay out?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

conmo wrote: »
    What 4 modules would people recommend sitting in October? I was thinking property criminal tort and equity? Seems to be a day in between each exam! Will next years timetable be the same sort of lay out?

I'd recommend doing property,equity and contract together,as there's a nice bit of overlap between them.I did tort as my fourth,but the most important thing is to pick what you feel are your strongest four for the first time sitting the exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 MarySmyth

Hi everyone- mature mature student here! returning to FE1s.. passed 2 previously

Any advice/ tips

Is it the same to study online or via class?#

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Thinking i'll probably sit them again in october after a near miss in march (2 :( ) but will probably need preparatory courses. Any recommendations? Also, im likely out of the country until mid september so online accessibility is a must, i know griffith and citycolleges have theirs available online, are they as useful online as they would be in person?

Any other advice appreciated, thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kingcelt21

spiralism wrote: »
    Thinking i'll probably sit them again in october after a near miss in march (2 :( ) but will probably need preparatory courses. Any recommendations? Also, im likely out of the country until mid september so online accessibility is a must, i know griffith and citycolleges have theirs available online, are they as useful online as they would be in person?

Any other advice appreciated, thanks guys.

Prep. courses are not as good as they make out, unless you've not studied law previously. I would recommend getting a recent set of manuals and doing the study yourself. Law is hard graft and requires independent learning over intense teaching. Plus it will save you a fortune!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

I'm finding the note taking to be really tiresome and lengthy. Only getting to the end of my third subject after writing out notes for nearly two months. But I do admit that my motivation has been waning since I've been reading over stuff since about February, but not properly hardcore studying it. The sunshine recently isn't helping cause I'm getting nothing done on the weekends now.

I'm just worried that I won't get enough time to sit down and read over them in order to make them stick given that I'm working 9-5 until the end of July. What is everyone else's proposed timeline for study?

Currently I think that I'll finish writing out all my notes by the end of June for my five subjects.
    Will then spend July/part of August (6-7 weeks) reading over them, reciting aloud etc. Also in August, I'll read over examiner reports and note what's important for each topic.
    Then in September gonna start attempting past questions and continue to study my notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭redscan

sophya wrote: »
    I'm finding the note taking to be really tiresome and lengthy. Only getting to the end of my third subject after writing out notes for nearly two months. But I do admit that my motivation has been waning since I've been reading over stuff since about February, but not properly hardcore studying it. The sunshine recently isn't helping cause I'm getting nothing done on the weekends now.

I'm just worried that I won't get enough time to sit down and read over them in order to make them stick given that I'm working 9-5 until the end of July. What is everyone else's proposed timeline for study?

Currently I think that I'll finish writing out all my notes by the end of June for my five subjects.
    Will then spend July/part of August (6-7 weeks) reading over them, reciting aloud etc. Also in August, I'll read over examiner reports and note what's important for each topic.
    Then in September gonna start attempting past questions and continue to study my notes.

From personal experience I think you should read both the examiners' reports and past questions at an earlier date. In fact you should integrate them from the start. They are hugely useful for determining precisely what the examiner is looking for in a topic. Certain examiners tend to only ask a topic in a set number of ways (eg. Company, Equity and Property). There is nothing better than opening your paper and seeing a question you have already answered beforehand and more importantly read what the examiner wanted in that question.

I would also integrate past question attempts much earlier on. I found that I could only comfortably write 1,000 words in 30 minutes. The FE1s require to the point answers and the only way you can do that is through consistent practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

sophya wrote: »

I never understood anyone spending hours upon hours making their own notes.

The manuals, nutshells, textbooks, sample answers are all there.

This is what I would do:

- Read through a chapter in the manual, jot down some main points/cases from the chapter using about 2-3 pages for your own 'quick notes' to refer to.

- If you don't understand something then you have your textbook/articles/other sources to go through to clarify such.

- Sample answers: they are key, look at what questions are being asked, as has been said more often than not there is only a certain amount/type of question that can be asked for each topic (bar the subject is criminal or contract where there can be a mixture of topics for the questions). But take equity for example, from using the grid and past papers/sample answers you will clearly see for Specific Performance there is only so many type's of questions that can be asked on that topic.

To be honest if it was me, I would go through the topics that are on the grid using the manual, making very quick summaries after I've gone through the topic (should only take 10-15 mins after you have gone through it). Then start looking at answers, answers and more answers, along with the reports.
    Looking at the answers will show that you do not need lengthy discussion of case law, quick and to the point is sufficient. Then nearer the exams I would just be going over my summaries and some of the chapters I felt I wasn't too good at.

No need to be going making huge sets of notes in my opinion, very very time consuming. If you really want a set of notes for the subjects plenty sell them on adverts.ie. It will cut down hours of leg work for yourself.

TL;DR - An up to date Grid, Manual, and sample answers are more than enough for study in my opinion. Fair enough if you want to make quick summaries of the important cases after going over a topic, but no need to be spending hours on a topic making notes.

redscan wrote: »
    From personal experience I think you should read both the examiners' reports and past questions at an earlier date. In fact you should integrate them from the start. They are hugely useful for determining precisely what the examiner is looking for in a topic. Certain examiners tend to only ask a topic in a set number of ways (eg. Company, Equity and Property). There is nothing better than opening your paper and seeing a question you have already answered beforehand and more importantly read what the examiner wanted in that question.

I would also integrate past question attempts much earlier on. I found that I could only comfortably write 1,000 words in 30 minutes. The FE1s require to the point answers and the only way you can do that is through consistent practice.

Thanks! I had glanced over some of the examiner reports back in January or February and skimmed past papers while updating my grids. Haven't looked at past sample answers so I shall start integrating that. I'll work at starting past questions in August.

A month of reading over notes for five subjects should hopefully allow something to be retained in my head. I suppose the note taking is me trying to affirm to myself my productivity but for the last two subjects (contract and company) I'm gonna just make quick notes.

chops018 wrote: »
    I never understood anyone spending hours upon hours making their own notes.

The manuals, nutshells, textbooks, sample answers are all there.

This is what I would do:

- Read through a chapter in the manual, jot down some main points/cases from the chapter using about 2-3 pages for your own 'quick notes' to refer to.

- If you don't understand something then you have your textbook/articles/other sources to go through to clarify such.

- Sample answers: they are key, look at what questions are being asked, as has been said more often than not there is only a certain amount/type of question that can be asked for each topic (bar the subject is criminal or contract where there can be a mixture of topics for the questions). But take equity for example, from using the grid and past papers/sample answers you will clearly see for Specific Performance there is only so many type's of questions that can be asked on that topic.

To be honest if it was me, I would go through the topics that are on the grid using the manual, making very quick summaries after I've gone through the topic (should only take 10-15 mins after you have gone through it). Then start looking at answers, answers and more answers, along with the reports.
    Looking at the answers will show that you do not need lengthy discussion of case law, quick and to the point is sufficient. Then nearer the exams I would just be going over my summaries and some of the chapters I felt I wasn't too good at.

No need to be going making huge sets of notes in my opinion, very very time consuming. If you really want a set of notes for the subjects plenty sell them on adverts.ie. It will cut down hours of leg work for yourself.

TL;DR - An up to date Grid, Manual, and sample answers are more than enough for study in my opinion. Fair enough if you want to make quick summaries of the important cases after going over a topic, but no need to be spending hours on a topic making notes.

This forum is a godsent, thanks so much. I think that my note taking is turning into a bad habit now and I'm gonna stop doing it. Thinking it would be better to read over the sample answers and just make a page summary on the rote questions/issues that come up so I'm not writing down stuff I'll never need. And read over the manual of course.

Shouldnt the law society have the timetable for March 2014 up? Not fair to select October exams and not know what way the March sitting will pan out.. I dont fancy sitting 4 exams day after each other in March!! Anyone else the same? Emailed law society, hopefully it gets sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

Would it be possible to sit these exams whilst doing a masters or would the workload be too much?
    I do have a law degree already. Just not sure as to the commitment they require?

thestar wrote: »
    Would it be possible to sit these exams whilst doing a masters or would the workload be too much?
    I do have a law degree already. Just not sure as to the commitment they require?

If your masters is Sept to Sept and just one year it can be abit tight but still doable. I do know the March sitting can be tough as if your modules have a lot of essay, you may have a few deadlines in Feb and March. If you get a good start on writing your thesis before the summer, have your outline etc than you can make a decent sitting in the Oct sitting. But you'd want to have finished your thesis by the July as to spend August and Sept on the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

thanks sorchauna..looking a bit down the line here but what are the chances of getting a training contract if one was to pass all 8?

Is there a thread for Blackhall 2013 anybody know who may be going to PPC this year?

thanks sorchauna..looking a bit down the line here but what are the chances of getting a training contract if one was to pass all 8?

They are out there, the only thing is you might not get one where they will pay your fee's for Blackhall or pay you during the PPC courses. They are, however, obliged to pay you a wage whilst doing the in office training.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

sorchauna wrote: »
    Is there a thread for Blackhall 2013 anybody know who may be going to PPC this year?

Haven't come across one. Has anyone started their TC yet? How are they finding them? Have heard a few horror stories.

• Advertisement

Haven't come across one. Has anyone started their TC yet? How are they finding them? Have heard a few horror stories.

Can you elaborate on that last bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

I done a masters while sitting fe1s - I passed my first 3 in March, began the masters in Sept and sat a couple in each sitting. Am not going to lie, it was a rough year. In second semester I had to do a placement 2 days a week on top of classes & assignments, studying for fe1s and I had a part time job at weekends. My summer last year was non-existent - more fe1s on top of my thesis. BUT I now have all fe1s, a masters and a training contract. If you are willing to put the work in, its worth it. The masters definitely helped me get the TC and I think its worth having to help you stand out from competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Just that they are very stressful, and often the trainee is the coffee person as opposed to being trained and doing meaningful work. Some people I talk to love them, others hate them. A common problem appears to be the lack of proper instruction being given. As elusive as the TC may seem, maybe its not all its cracked up to be?

Just that they are very stressful, and often the trainee is the coffee person as opposed to being trained and doing meaningful work. Some people I talk to love them, others hate them. A common problem appears to be the lack of proper instruction being given. As elusive as the TC may seem, maybe its not all its cracked up to be?

They are still out there but is a higher demand. I just finished my final exams in March and got offered one but trying to sort out funding. Even if you get one, you may not have ppc covered, not be paid while up there and be on minimum wage in the office. I say some people who are going to blackhall this sept will have started their traineeship and get the 3 months you can be accredited for done before they go into ppc1.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 newtolaw2013

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been addressed in a previous thread - but it would be a great help to get an answer.

I was wondering what the best combination of courses was to take?

I am planning on sitting five of the exams in October. I've not studied law before, and was wondering what the best combination was to do? Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been addressed in a previous thread - but it would be a great help to get an answer.

I am planning on sitting five of the exams in October. I've not studied law before, and was wondering what the best combination was to do? Any help greatly appreciated.

Well Criminal seems to be the most straightforward and it isn't that long of a subject, but the questions mixes the topics so that can be frustrating with regard predicting.

Equity is a hard subject but it is a little easier to predict and there is no mixture of topics.

Tort is generally regarded as one of the easier exams as it isn't long and neither are the topics, basically know negligence really well, again no real mix of topics. However the last tort exam was deemed tougher than usual, so there could be a new pattern about to start.

Contract can be very difficult to grasp and the examiner is a tough marker, then the questions are mixed too. However some of the topics - especially the remedies - overlap with those of Equity, so some of the study is lessened somewhat in that the cases are the same etc. Make sure to keep a note of this.

Property is definitively one of the easier subjects, very predictable and not very long and no mixing of topics. Succession is guaranteed to be two questions on each sitting, so that's two questions covered straight away.

EU isn't the worst, it is just very messy. The standard doesn't seem to be high with regards marking, and you can bring the treaties in with you which is a plus, the course is huge though.

Constitutional is horrible, the questions are mixed, no one ever seems sure what topic the examiner is addressing in the questions. To be honest, I don't know how I passed it on my first go.

Finally Company, I haven't sat this yet, this is my last one to do and hopefully pass. So hopefully someone will say what that subject is like. I never liked it in college.

Usually people recommend doing Criminal, Contract, Equity, Property and Tort in your first go.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 newtolaw2013

Thanks a million for the answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Hi All,

Chops's answer is fine - Company law isn't the worst either, it's very logical, the policy reasons underlying the law are clear and they connect well with everyday general knowledge that you'll have from current affairs. The paper follows text-book structure - incorporation, director's duties, company borrowings, company death - ie receivership/liquidation/examinership.

By way of general comment - I admire your courage tackling these exams without having studied law formally. They are not easy exams, even if you have a good law degree - if you haven't the style right, they can be failed even after a lot of study. Just in case you don't know it - there are colleges that specialise in getting people in your situation through the FE1s, for a fee of course, and they do succeed. A friend of mine graduated as a primary teacher, went to one of those colleges, passed a few FE1s, failed a few, and eventually qualified - she is now a practising solicitor. So, it can be done but it is not easy - don't underestimate what you are tackling, you will have to bust a gut between now and October to get a few passes on your scoresheet. Good luck with it.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Happychicky7

Hope people succeeded in their re-checks this morning. Got the 50 in Company, will take that! Well worth the risk of €115. Thanks to all here for the advice :)

• Advertisement

Hope people succeeded in their re-checks this morning. Got the 50 in Company, will take that! Well worth the risk of €115. Thanks to all here for the advice :)

Well done on being brought up.

My result didn't even move.

Leave's me with Tort and Company for October and I'll be finally finished these horrid exams!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement