Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aislingo55

SRAadvisor wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm just doing a little research. Considering offering fe1 tutoring in th cork city area before the October sitting. Do people think there would be a need / interest for same? I finished mine bout 2.5 years ago and I had a pretty good technique for gettin thru. Thanks to any replies / advice!

Well I can only speak for myself but I certainly would be interested! I'm sure if you put the word out you'd have a positive response if it were good quality, reaonable price etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SRAadvisor

Aislingo55 wrote: »
    Well I can only speak for myself but I certainly would be interested! I'm sure if you put the word out you'd have a positive response if it were good quality, reaonable price etc.

Thanks for your reply Aislingo55 maybe I could pm you and set out exactly what I propose and you cud give it the thumbs up before I start advertising. Free session n it for ya. I think I'd also be able to give tips on getting a training contract if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

So hows the study going for everyone? I'm currently working though Company Law which is fairly straightforward and not as boring as I remember it in my undergrad. Still have Property and EU to cover which should be ok cause Property is quite short and I love EU law and did a masters in it.

What subjects are everyone else doing for October?

I'm looking at the timetable and all mine are bunched together which is typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

sophya wrote: »
    So hows the study going for everyone? I'm currently working though Company Law which is fairly straightforward and not as boring as I remember it in my undergrad. Still have Property and EU to cover which should be ok cause Property is quite short and I love EU law and did a masters in it.

What subjects are everyone else doing for October?

I'm looking at the timetable and all mine are bunched together which is typical.

I'm doing Company and Tort. My final two. Must check the timetable....I think they are the first two.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

chops018 wrote: »
    I'm doing Company and Tort. My final two. Must check the timetable....I think they are the first two.

Yes they're the first two. Think I'm dreading Equity and Contract most cause you have to study pretty much the whole course to be safe.

• Advertisement

sophya wrote: »
    Yes they're the first two. Think I'm dreading Equity and Contract most cause you have to study pretty much the whole course to be safe.

Yeah and Contract mixes topics in the questions which can catch you and be frustrating. I liked equity to be honest, you can see from looking at the questions that there is only a certain amount of types that can be asked for some topics.

Ugh, knew they were in a row. I hate not having a day inbetween exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aislingo55

SRAadvisor wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply Aislingo55 maybe I could pm you and set out exactly what I propose and you cud give it the thumbs up before I start advertising. Free session n it for ya. I think I'd also be able to give tips on getting a training contract if required.

Sounds great!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

conmo wrote: »
    Tort Tuesday 01 October 2013
    Company Law Wednesday 02 October 2013
    Property Thursday 03 October 2013
    Contract Friday 04 October 2013
    Criminal Law Monday 07 October 2013
    EU Law uesday 08 October 2013
    Equity Wednesday 09 October 2013
    Constitutional Law Thursday 10 October 2013

Looking at timetable im probably better off doing tort property criminal and constitutional!

The law society should have the 2014 timetable up!! Help us in choosing!

Three on the trot is a bit of a mare. But doing 5 it's probably inevitable.

If I manage to sort all 8 in one year, I'll be happy out. Gives me plenty of breathing space and means I'm under no pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

There's an interesting conference on recent developments in Tort law coming off soon in TCD - link

Even if you haven't the readies ready to go along, it would be a useful exercise to read all the cases they've listed on the programme and do your own analysis.

JCJCJC wrote: »
    There's an interesting conference on recent developments in Tort law coming off soon in TCD - link

Even if you haven't the readies ready to go along, it would be a useful exercise to read all the cases they've listed on the programme and do your own analysis.

Cheers JC.

€150 though, wow, expensive!

• Advertisement

Another recent case that imho is a must-know for Constitutional is Damache where the Supreme Court overturned the High Court ruling. Know the Irish cases that are cited as precedents, particularly how Heaney v Ireland brought a proportionality test into Irish constitutional law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 T 2 B

Hi just woundering if anyone knows if the questions which appear in march mean they wont appear in october?? Im not sure as to what way these work as i havent started yet... Also if any1 could help me out with picking my first 4 to do as that would be great
    Also id like sum1s oppinion on prep course,iv decided im going to go for it, shud i do all 8 in my prep course at once or stick to only doing prep in de first 4 iv chose?? Meaning 4 starting november for march exams and the other 4 starting june for october exams?? Do they actually give specific hints nd tips to you for the next exam sitting??

Sorry for all the questions, im quite mixed up about it all as im heavily pregnant with my little girl so the next year is going to be quite tough for me :-(

T 2 B wrote: »
    Hi just woundering if anyone knows if the questions which appear in march mean they wont appear in october?? Im not sure as to what way these work as i havent started yet... Also if any1 could help me out with picking my first 4 to do as that would be great
    Also id like sum1s oppinion on prep course,iv decided im going to go for it, shud i do all 8 in my prep course at once or stick to only doing prep in de first 4 iv chose?? Meaning 4 starting november for march exams and the other 4 starting june for october exams?? Do they actually give specific hints nd tips to you for the next exam sitting??

Sorry for all the questions, im quite mixed up about it all as im heavily pregnant with my little girl so the next year is going to be quite tough for me :-(

If you have an undergrad in law then I suggest just studying on your own if you have the time - get yourself second hand manuals, grids, past papers and sample answers and get stuck in.

Yes questions may reappear, a lot of the time they don't but don't rely on that, they may come back in some shape or form. The best advice I got was don't leave any topics out. You will see in some subjects there is room for manoeuvre to leave a few out, but generally I would stick to knowing 90% of the topics.

Criminal, Contract, Equity and Property seem the most popular for the first 4. Criminal is straight forward and isn't a huge course. Contract is tough and it mixes topics in the questions but if taken with Equity then there is a crossover of topics, especially the remedies. Property is generally easier, the main questionable topics are straightforward and there is always two questions on Succession. Some find Tort ok and others don't, it isn't long so could be added in or done instead of contract. I would steer clear of the rest till other sittings as they are very heavy unless you have already done them and excelled. The main thing now is to get the magic 3 as you can kind of dilly daddle through the rest in that whatever way you take them you keep what you pass.

Good luck with study, they are a slog. But hard work and time and you will get there.

not fully there myself, but at them about a year and I have 2 left. Here's hoping I'll see the back of them come October.

The Dept of the Environment, Heritage, Community, Local Government and a couple of other things wrote to local authorities in the past week to say they'll need to bring forward a bill amending the planning legislation in light of Fortune's case - that absolutely confirms that it scored a big hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Atlantic Titanium

An article in the Irish Times, mentions Sinnott case in the context of judicial activism:

"Untangling the threads of the Supreme Court’s thinking"

A decade after the landmark Sinnott judgment, the notion of ‘judicial activism’ still stirs debate....

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/untangling-the-threads-of-the-supreme-court-s-thinking-1.1456003?page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Danlaw101

Hi there,

I'm sitting my last four fe1 exams in October and I'm just wondering if anyone has any exam grids that they could PM me?
    The subjects that I'm taking are Tort, Constitutional, Company and EU. Help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

Just wondering what are peoples opinions on working full time during these exams.....??

5 left to do and DEF def def want to have them done for Sept next yr.....

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Can be done. Back vacation onto exam week. Study hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Just wondering whether it is possible to pass company fe1 by doing 12 topics only, ie. primarily the top half of the grid. Have no idea how I am actually going to memorise all of the manuals for 4 subjects. :( stressed!!!

Just wondering whether it is possible to pass company fe1 by doing 12 topics only, ie. primarily the top half of the grid. Have no idea how I am actually going to memorise all of the manuals for 4 subjects. :( stressed!!!

Leave little or nothing out. You never know what kind of paper is going to appear.

• Advertisement

dinemo6 wrote: »
    Just wondering what are peoples opinions on working full time during these exams.....??

5 left to do and DEF def def want to have them done for Sept next yr.....

Since I started doing these about a year and a half ago (didn't get the magic 3 the first set) I always worked part time (about 2 or 3 days a week) going into the 2 months before with a week off before and all through them, and I still found it to be tough. So I can only imagine what it would be like working full time. I'd say it can be done, but you would need serious motivation and concentration. They are hard exams, especially when trying to work, even if it is only part time, and you don't know what kind of paper will arise or what humour the examiner will be in. Thankfully I only have 2 of these things left!

What is the best way to approach these monsters? Sum up chapters, and do questions?

What is the best way to approach these monsters? Sum up chapters, and do questions?

Have a look at the past questions on the topics, you will see there is only so many different types they ask (well, usually anyway).

Try cut it down that way instead of cutting out whole topics.

Yeah, read over your notes or manual, make quick 5 min summaries at the end - no more than 2 or 3 pages in my opinion. Go over a few sample answers or look at past questions if you don't have sample answers, don't sit down and write out 6 pages of an answer by yourself, while it is productive, it is very time consuming. Surely 2 hours per topic then move on. You can always go back to a topic, and you will be surprised what you remembered when you go back to it.

Coming up to the exams then try skim through and just remember important things like case names, points of law and legislation. Jot down very short and quick notes, test yourself if you have time - in that see what case names etc you remember from a topic. There is absolutely no need to be going off summing up a chapter in the manual or a set of notes, it is too time consuming basically re-writing topics, or trying to write out your own 5/6 page answer. As I said you will remember the main parts of a topic from 2 or 3 reads or the gist at least , it is just the case names etc that you need to get get drilled into the brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

I failed company twice, definitely my hardest FE1 - IMO the only way to pass is to cover everything! Other subjects are much easier to cut topics of out.. You could be lucky and get 5 questions, but it's a big gamble.. Good luck!

I failed company twice, definitely my hardest FE1 - IMO the only way to pass is to cover everything! Other subjects are much easier to cut topics of out.. You could be lucky and get 5 questions, but it's a big gamble.. Good luck!

The twelve chapters I was going to do though is almost always there and I reckon I should get 5 questions from those. They are: directors, corporate contracts, share transfer, corporate borrowing, incorporation, ultra vires, reckless/fraudulent, separate legal personality, shareholders remedies can't remember the other 3 though. But in any event, I won't cut any corners and try to cover everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LostOutForeign

Anyone have exam grids they could send me by email? Even ones that aren't up to date would be appreciated! I'm studying from home and going to attempt my first four in october, but I'm working full time 'til the end of August... Already feeling slightly stressed :(

Anyone have exam grids they could send me by email? Even ones that aren't up to date would be appreciated! I'm studying from home and going to attempt my first four in october, but I'm working full time 'til the end of August... Already feeling slightly stressed :(

I have up to date ones, studying from home myself for my first 4 in October. Which grids you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LostOutForeign

I have up to date ones, studying from home myself for my first 4 in October. Which grids you looking for?

If you could send me all the ones you have that would be amazing, as I definitely want to get all 8 knocked out between october and march! Just sent you my email in a pm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RossLynch33

Does anyone have any idea as to what topics to cover for Equity for the October sitting? I have an exam grid up until March 2013 and I have been changing my mind every day for the past week as to what topics to cover. Absolutely stressed! Any help would be much appreciated :/!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Keane91

If you had to choose between Property & Tort to sit in October which would you pick?
    I'm working full time and taking one other along with either property or Tort. I also haven't started studying yet.
    Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement