Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Hi everyone,

Sat all 8 and passed 4, failed 4. Bit disappointed since I was pretty sure I had a good shot at 6 but can I just ask about the marking?

I am totally baffled. My highest was 61% in constitutional. I got 54% in equity and 50 in both criminal and tort. I thought I had aced criminal and I mean aced. My dream paper! I sat it in October 2012 and got 62% and there was no comparison between the standard of that paper and one in March- March was way better. But I suppose none of that matters.

But Company- I got 35%....Like wtf???? I answered 5 questions- 2 great, 1 ok and then 2 not great....but I mean that's a bad fail....

Can anyway shed some light on the way Courtney marks? I'm a good judge of exams and while I was disappointed by the way the exam went ( my own fault...I had spent all the previous week cramming for EU) I thought at least something in the high 40s.

Sorry, I know there are some of you who didn't get the required 3...but if its any consolation I'm convinced these exams have virtually no academic merit and are marked in a really arbitrary manner. From my own experience there is very little consistency in the way in which the examiners mark the papers

Any advice appreciated!

OK, commiserations on not getting quite what you expected, but you're on the scorecard now - that's the important thing. If you passed four while studying for eight, you should easily pass four the next time. Now - forget about 'acing' anything. Any marks over 50 represent wasted effort - this is a threshold exam. You pass or you don't - that's all. Keep the drive on and study your four for October.
    As for Company law - use Courtney's book, read a few of his articles etc to get his 'spin'. Where he offers opinion or comment in the book - take note, and put it in your answers so he knows you've read and understood his work. No FE1 examiner likes manual-only answers or rote-learnt answers, conventional authoritative textbooks impress more, but all you really need from them is the 'spin' on issues. Personally, I found Company one of the more logical and easy subjects to learn, but we're all different - EU freaks me out totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fe1stresser

Hi,

Sorry I know that post sounded a bit irate when I should be grateful to have the 4. But I never use manuals, only books. I learned Courtney off. I don't trust the manuals and think they are not reliable. So that's when I'm perplexed about failing the paper...I did the articles, I learned off most of Courtney and I covered the majority of the course.

I'm just wondering whether anyone else can shed light on the marking of the company papers this time? I mean I would expect 35 for three questions but not for 5.

Again, maybe someone in this sitting has had a similar experience this time around. Or has anyone else gone up in a recheck?

Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Happychicky7

Hi,

Sorry I know that post sounded a bit irate when I should be grateful to have the 4. But I never use manuals, only books. I learned Courtney off. I don't trust the manuals and think they are not reliable. So that's when I'm perplexed about failing the paper...I did the articles, I learned off most of Courtney and I covered the majority of the course.

I'm just wondering whether anyone else can shed light on the marking of the company papers this time? I mean I would expect 35 for three questions but not for 5.

Again, maybe someone in this sitting has had a similar experience this time around. Or has anyone else gone up in a recheck?

Thanks everyone!
    Failed Company for the 2nd time!! First time it was my 'ghost' exam but this time studied quite hard for it, felt I answered 3 questions really well & the other 2 were a bit shaky...got 46. Disgusted!! Thinking of getting a recheck but have read really mixed responses as to whether it is worth the €120. Dont have a TC but the idea of having to go through that exam again is sickening!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fe1stresser

Hmmmm

Was just pm-ing someone about this and we think it might be worth it! I mean I can't do much worse than 35%.....that's a bad fail and worrying because I didn't see it coming....Plus there is a chance that an external examiner may have a very different approach to marking.

I have to defer my contract as well which is crap!

If I were I would give it a go...whats the worst...ok being down the money...but never having to sit it again= priceless!!

Hope you were happy enough with everything else.

By the way, I think EC is actually not that bad a marker- got 61% and really didn't think I'd passed it. So for everyone who's afraid of it, I think its very doable!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

But Company- I got 35%....Like wtf???? I answered 5 questions- 2 great, 1 ok and then 2 not great....but I mean that's a bad fail....

Any advice appreciated!

You have answered your own question. Forget about trying to ace the exams or thinking that you have.

if you do two not great as you said then it is game over. You will not do so well on other questions to bring up your grade.

You simply have to do 5 passable questions in very paper. It is so difficult to ace any question so you have to have the knowledge to do enough to pass all 5 questions indiividually.

• Advertisement

But I never use manuals, only books. I learned Courtney off.

I got 35%....Like wtf???? I answered 5 questions- 2 great, 1 ok and then 2 not great.

Ah come on, those two of your comments don't add up at all. If you knew Courtney's book so well you should have done better, something else is very wrong. What have you done to stay up-to-date on caselaw? Courtney's book has been around a while now. I think you're too dismissive of the manuals. Courtney's book serves all needs - right up to higher court judges. The manuals are written to get you past the FE1s - they are totally focussed on that. Some of the people writing the manuals and teaching in the prep colleges are very, very bright lawyers indeed, and they make a genuine honest effort to help FE1 students through this step in every way possible. Everyone has their own opinion and preference about prep colleges, for my part I passed all eight with GCD's help in terms of one-day refresher courses and EU only on-line so I can personally endorse GCD and their teachers. I would say you would benefit from help from that quarter, because you are somehow not doing the right thing in the exams. Consider doing a prep-college course, at a minimum do their refresher/intensive one-day courses. You will see how they are totally exam-focused, and their sample answers etc etc show you exactly what is required.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 23 TheGreaterFool

Three out of four down! Good way to get the bank holiday started.

What's the view on appeals generally? I got 45 in equity and, while I haven't dug out the paper to review it yet, I didn't think it was the worst of my four at the time.

I've heard that it can be easier to come up from 35-40 than from closer as the appeal is a re-count and not a full re-marking of the script i.e. will only come up if a question has been missed or the sums screwed up. Any truth in that?

Four instead of five in October would be a bonus!

Three out of four down! Good way to get the bank holiday started.

What's the view on appeals generally? I got 45 in equity and, while I haven't dug out the paper to review it yet, I didn't think it was the worst of my four at the time.

I've heard that it can be easier to come up from 35-40 than from closer as the appeal is a re-count and not a full re-marking of the script i.e. will only come up if a question has been missed or the sums screwed up. Any truth in that?

Four instead of five in October would be a bonus!

A 45 is probably worth an appeal. For obvious reasons, there's no info in the public domain (that I've ever come across anyway) on how appeals generally turn out. Getting a 35 up to 40 is about as useful as bull's tits, really.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

Late on this for the results but I have finally passed my final four. It was a long year to get the 8 in two sittings so just wanted to thank everybody on boards for all the advice and help over the last year as I doubt I would have otherwise. Congrats to those aswell who have passed!

Hi,

Thanks everyone!

I sat company in Oct. Think I hit like 54% and I thought it was my best paper. There was a question on examinership and I wrote my thesis on it. I had 5 great answers and learnt everything Courtney had written. Company is the area of law I do alot in my day to day job. Now I past it but I was surprised on how low it was. Didnt matter as I hit the 50 but I do know what you mean. It is a treshold exam. I do think with company you cant go I did 3 great ones and the other two were ok. You do need to hit the nail on all 5 questions. Not like say in EU which I just sat in March and by some luck just got the 50 and I had some awful answers. No one knows Company like Courtney and he expects a high standard. Also it could just be there were some great papers this year and it raised the standard.

Also anything JC says should be taken in account and that is in anything the man says. Trust me, I passed all 8 in two sittings and I always put weight to any post by the man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I am well finished all mine, but I found they are very inconsistent with marking and unlike college you can really have no idea how you have done. Wrote what I thought was an excellent criminal paper - got 50% on the button. Sat equity and was really happy - got 30 something. Sweating and blagged my way through contract - got 58%!

The biggest hurdle is the first three in the bag, beyond that the pressure is lower as at least you can bank the ones you pass. Everyone gets there in the end

sorchauna wrote: »

Also anything JC says should be taken in account and that is in anything the man says. Trust me, I passed all 8 in two sittings and I always put weight to any post by the man.

Ah FFS, I'm blushing here, and I already had a big red face from sunburn yesterday, stewarding for a 10K run!! Thanks!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::o

PS Big Tom is still the King, Woohoo!!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

JCJCJC wrote: »
    PS Big Tom is still the King, Woohoo!!

Who? ...

Tom Young wrote: »
    Who? ...

Not you, the real Big Tom:
    cd024-600.jpg

:)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Thanks for clarifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Blackhall is on its way. What happens when a firm agrees to defer a contract? Do you work in the firm as an intern/paralegal while studying for the FE1s?

Blackhall is on its way. What happens when a firm agrees to defer a contract? Do you work in the firm as an intern/paralegal while studying for the FE1s?

I would assume its up to the individual firm to decide what they would do so best ask them yourself and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Ah come on, those two of your comments don't add up at all. If you knew Courtney's book so well you should have done better, something else is very wrong. What have you done to stay up-to-date on caselaw? Courtney's book has been around a while now. I think you're too dismissive of the manuals. Courtney's book serves all needs - right up to higher court judges. The manuals are written to get you past the FE1s - they are totally focussed on that. Some of the people writing the manuals and teaching in the prep colleges are very, very bright lawyers indeed, and they make a genuine honest effort to help FE1 students through this step in every way possible. Everyone has their own opinion and preference about prep colleges, for my part I passed all eight with GCD's help in terms of one-day refresher courses and EU only on-line so I can personally endorse GCD and their teachers. I would say you would benefit from help from that quarter, because you are somehow not doing the right thing in the exams. Consider doing a prep-college course, at a minimum do their refresher/intensive one-day courses. You will see how they are totally exam-focused, and their sample answers etc etc show you exactly what is required.

JC

Everyone has their own preferences- i've done independent for EU and constitutional, and found both lecturers were excellent and always corrected homework and and answered any Q that I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Darren07

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience or info on appealling exam ( last one) and getting a letter from the the firm giving a traineeship. I heard that if you attach such a letter with it, that it can carry alot of weight!!! thx guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 leitrimjoe90

I've never heard of such..will your firm not let you sit it again? I wouldn't bother attaching such a letter as they more than likely will come back with the same result...best to contact the firm and explain that you slipped up and whatever reason there was for this...convincing or otherwise...

now time to get clear out these old fe1 manuals i think...pm if anyone's in northwest looking for some...the day is so long now without fe1s lol it became my life there for a year
    Darren07 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience or info on appealling exam ( last one) and getting a letter from the the firm giving a traineeship. I heard that if you attach such a letter with it, that it can carry alot of weight!!! thx guys.

• Advertisement

Thx leitrimjoe, was hoping to go to Blackhall this Sept. Sept 2014 seems so far away. so close yet so far!!!!! I met a former FE1er over the weekend and he was telling me his firm done it for him and Law Soc accepted him to Blackhall last year as it was his last exam!!!!!

well done on finishing the bloody things..must feel great to have a life again!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 leitrimjoe90

Darren07 wrote: »
    Thx leitrimjoe, was hoping to go to Blackhall this Sept. Sept 2014 seems so far away. so close yet so far!!!!! I met a former FE1er over the weekend and he was telling me his firm done it for him and Law Soc accepted him to Blackhall last year as it was his last exam!!!!!

well done on finishing the bloody things..must feel great to have a life again!

so they let him in without passing them all?

He got a re-check on the last exam and attached a letter from Firm re traineeship and on-recheck got the 50 up from 46! so i'm told!!!

Has anyone applied for a re-check on line? I get as far as the payment page and it keeps telling me my basket is empty! I resubmitted the information 4 or 5 times now and the same thing keeps happening. I am away this week and have to put it on my credit card so posting the application isn't an option. It also seems to be tea break at the Law Society, nobody answering. Maybe its a sign...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

I got 43% in Tort, is it worth chancing a re-check seeing as I have the money spare?

If I somehow got brought up then it would leave me with only one exam left!

Has anyone applied for a re-check on line? I get as far as the payment page and it keeps telling me my basket is empty! I resubmitted the information 4 or 5 times now and the same thing keeps happening. I am away this week and have to put it on my credit card so posting the application isn't an option. It also seems to be tea break at the Law Society, nobody answering. Maybe its a sign...

I just finished applying on-line for the recheck. I actually don't know how I managed it, took a lot of logging back in and out and going to different pages. Got the confirmation e-mail anyway.

Here's hoping I get lucky with it and I only have one exam left!

chops018 wrote: »
    I just finished applying on-line for the recheck. I actually don't know how I managed it, took a lot of logging back in and out and going to different pages. Got the confirmation e-mail anyway.

Here's hoping I get lucky with it and I only have one exam left!

Fingers crossed eh! Finally got application done, I had to re-log in every few seconds, strange set up but its done, here's hoping its money well spent :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 happyuser123

Hello everyone

I was wondering could somebody tell me are there any topics in company that come up every year? I want to get a headstart on studying for October because I'm going to be working full-time the whole time (eep!). I'll be going over examination grids and past exam papers when I get my hands on them but for now, does anyone have any tips for what are normally the hot topics? Thanks a lot

Also, has anyone done company law with independent colleges? Are they good for company? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ShamblesB

Hello everyone

I was wondering could somebody tell me are there any topics in company that come up every year? I want to get a headstart on studying for October because I'm going to be working full-time the whole time (eep!). I'll be going over examination grids and past exam papers when I get my hands on them but for now, does anyone have any tips for what are normally the hot topics? Thanks a lot

Also, has anyone done company law with independent colleges? Are they good for company? Thanks!

Hi, I didnt use grids or do any courses but just from my own experience of having sat company in March, separate legal personality and the rule in turquands seem to come up as 2 questions every year and restriction of directors and contracts between directors and the company seem to come up quite regularly too! So thats s.29, s.31 and duty of disclosure etc. I'd say make a head start with that until you get your hands on grids! :)

• Advertisement

Guys, just wondering, I know when you pass your final exam you have 5 years from the 31st of December of that year to obtain an apprenticeship. I have 2 exams left, would I actually be better off doing one in October and one in March, and then this will give me basically an extra year, or near enough, to get an apprenticeship (I think).

Is that correct, and would anyone even advise it if it is?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement