Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Grats wrote: »
    I too am looking forward to this game. While the approach in recent years, i.e. using the u21 panel, served some purpose a different approach is required this year. If the team that lined out against WIT last week is anything to go on we can expect to see a similar team next Sunday.

I read where P Walsh played well for UL against Waterford. And Wally did well for UCD versus Carlow. I presume those players along with others playing with Colleges won't be eligible to line out with County team!

Glad to see Mark Kelly and Joe Brennan getting a run early in the year. Should go some way towards establishing their worth. Apparently Michael Walsh at full back is going well.

I suppose it isnt the end of the world that theyre not lining out for us, as long as their getting games and playing well for their college against strong intercounty teams then it can only benefit us in the long run. I was disappointed to see Paddy Hogan getting dropped over lads like Kelly and Brennan. I saw Kelly a few times last year playing for the club and he was virtually anonymous in each game I saw, he was very poor against Ballyhale that day in the Park in the Championship, you would never have mistook him for an intercounty player. I saw Brennan once last year in the Intermediate All Ireland and he too was very ineffective that day. I think this year is do or die for these lads now, if they cant cut it I say drop them and give younger lads a chance. As I said previously Id like to see more of Geoff Brennan and Kevin Kelly who are 2 very good hurlers. I saw Geoff Brennan play in the Tomas Waters Challenge game against Wexford and he was impressive. A Good Solid tidy hurler. Likewise with Kevin Kelly whos a great prospect and is still U21 this year. Another lad I would hope will get more playing time is Ger Aylward

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Grats

From our experience of Brian Cody's form since 1999 we can assume that a player's attitude is as important as his skill. Each year he apparently sits down with his players and interviews them with regards to their ambitions for the coming year. He garners from that as to whether a player may or may not have the necessary attitude. No other player has been "dropped" this year but on the contrary have been given the chance to prove themselves. This is done for the good of the team. I have no problem with that. The record speaks for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

From our experience of Brian Cody's form since 1999 we can assume that a player's attitude is as important as his skill. Each year he apparently sits down with his players and interviews them with regards to their ambitions for the coming year. He garners from that as to whether a player may or may not have the necessary attitude. No other player has been "dropped" this year but on the contrary have been given the chance to prove themselves. This is done for the good of the team. I have no problem with that. The record speaks for itself.
    What a splendid post,and I am always saying that on the cork thread,i wish it was posted there.Attuide goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭arch staunton

Would any of you Kilkenny supporters have the programme from the leinster semi final 2006 vs Westmeath ,That u might want to offload to a programme collector:)
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭randd1

JainyMac wrote: »
    Starting Team: 1 David Herity, 2 Thomas Kehoe, 3 Michael Walsh, 4 Brian Kennedy, 5 David Langton, 6 Shane Pendergast, 7 Conor Fogarty, 8 Joey Holden, 9 Paraic Phelan, 10 Mark Kelly, 11 Michael Rice, 12 Liam Ryan, 13 John Joe Farrell, 14 Joe Brennan, 15 Tom Breen
    Used Subs: Tommy Walsh, Geoff Brennan, Kevin Kelly, Colin Fennelly, Matt Ruth, Willie Phelan
    Unused Subs: Wally Walsh, TJ Reid, Paul Murphy

Anyone have an idea of the team they would like to see start the league? I'd like to see:

1. E Murphy

2. P Murphy / 3. J Tyrrell / 4. C Fogarty
    5. R Doyle / 6. S Prendergast / 7. K Joyce

8. M Rice / 9. L Ryan

10. TJ Reid / 11. R Power / 12. C Fennelly
    13. W Walsh / 14. R Hogan / 15. Kevin Kelly

Subs: D Herrity, J Tyrrell, M Walsh, W Phelan, T Walsh, J Holden, C Buckley, J Farrell, G Aylward, K Kelly.

I know there's no Brian Hogan, Tommy, Larkin or Henry starting but I honestly think all three could do with a rest until later in the league at the earliest, there's no need to rush them back for a protracted year when they could give a shorter year more of a blast. I think as well there's enough youth there to be given a shot and see how they go.

In the backs, Shane Pender has had two great years at CB for Clara and has been the most consistent in the county in that time, while Richie Doyle is a serious talent that just needs games to get over the injuries.

In midfield, there's likely to be a three way battle between Rice, Ryan and Fennelly. However, i think that Ryan and Fennelly are both similar types of player (great engines, get forward) while Rice is more of a sweeper and ball provider. With Fennelly's injury proneness, having Ryan and Rice gel in midfield will be needed for the summer.

Up front we need to freshen up a bit in terms of personnel. I think the half forward line has a lot of pace and different styles. Crucially, all three are coming into their prime too. Its the same with the FF line in terms of different styles, as Kelly and Richie Hogan would provide the guile, movement and shooting accuracy, while Walter provides the power and height.

I reckon it would be worth while trying out that team to see not only if they can perform for this year at the highest level, but with a view to possibly 2/3 years down the line.

• Advertisement

randd1 wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea of the team they would like to see start the league? I'd like to see:

1. E Murphy

2. P Murphy / 3. J Tyrrell / 4. C Fogarty
    5. R Doyle / 6. S Prendergast / 7. K Joyce

8. M Rice / 9. L Ryan

10. TJ Reid / 11. R Power / 12. C Fennelly
    13. W Walsh / 14. R Hogan / 15. Kevin Kelly

Subs: D Herrity, J Tyrrell, M Walsh, W Phelan, T Walsh, J Holden, C Buckley, J Farrell, G Aylward, K Kelly.

I know there's no Brian Hogan, Tommy, Larkin or Henry starting but I honestly think all three could do with a rest until later in the league at the earliest, there's no need to rush them back for a protracted year when they could give a shorter year more of a blast. I think as well there's enough youth there to be given a shot and see how they go.

In the backs, Shane Pender has had two great years at CB for Clara and has been the most consistent in the county in that time, while Richie Doyle is a serious talent that just needs games to get over the injuries.

In midfield, there's likely to be a three way battle between Rice, Ryan and Fennelly. However, i think that Ryan and Fennelly are both similar types of player (great engines, get forward) while Rice is more of a sweeper and ball provider. With Fennelly's injury proneness, having Ryan and Rice gel in midfield will be needed for the summer.

Up front we need to freshen up a bit in terms of personnel. I think the half forward line has a lot of pace and different styles. Crucially, all three are coming into their prime too. Its the same with the FF line in terms of different styles, as Kelly and Richie Hogan would provide the guile, movement and shooting accuracy, while Walter provides the power and height.

I reckon it would be worth while trying out that team to see not only if they can perform for this year at the highest level, but with a view to possibly 2/3 years down the line.

Good post, I think Id agree with you there but Id like to see all the talented younger players given a shot at some stage especially Ger Aylward who impressed in the league last year for us. It would be great to see him given his chance this year so he can build on it and gain a bit more experience, hes a lad with skill, power and tremendous speed would like to see a bit more of him. Kevin Kelly is another but he has time on his side and is still U21 this year so no need to rush him in but a few sub appearances would suffice for him I reckon. Cillian Buckley and John Power are others id like to see more of, Buckley was very unlucky with injuries last year and I reckon he will need playing time in the early part of the year. John Power is an excellent young hurler too and wud hope to see him get his chance. Its interesting that everyone says that as a County we are ****ed basicly but when you look at the likes of these lads who will find it hard to get into the team regularly this year, the future is not as bleak for us as its made out to be. I feel this year is a big year for Michael Rice and TJ Reid especially. 2 huge assets for us over the years who were plagued with injuries last year and neither anyway close to full fitness. Im upbeat for the year ahead, last year was a blip, injuries were the major factor last year and we rushed certain lads back too soon and it backfired in a big way.

In response to randd1, I would consider the following adjustments to your team - Brian Kennedy at 4. Joyce at 3. Jackie at 6. Pender to 5. I would actually play Henry ahead of Richie Power as Power needs time to rest and Henry needs games. John Power deserves a start as pmy.murphy mentions. Buckley also has to be considered.

My team for the league would be E Murphy, P Murphy, K Joyce (when Rower Inistioge are finished with Club Championship), B Kennedy, S Prendergast, Jackie, R Doyle, C Buckley, L Ryan, TJ Reid, M Rice, J Power, R Hogan, Henry, K Kelly.

Subs from Herity, JJ, Tommy, B Hogan, C Fogarty, P Walsh, W Phelan, J Lyng, W Walsh, R Power, C Fennelly, G Aylward, E Larkin, M Fennelly, G Brennan, Taggy, M Ruth, T Keogh.

I would be hopeful that some of the players being currently tried will make the cut. We'll know more by the end of the Walsh Cup campaign. Players to be considered - M Walsh, D Langton, J Holden, Liam Ryan, P Phelan, K Kelly, JJ Farrell, T Breen, J Brennan.

Interesting weeks ahead.

When Michael Fennelly is back from Australia I would play him at 11. And hopefully a few new lads hit form during the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭deadybai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Richie Power was always involved with the panel. He, along with other "oldies" , were doing separate training to the newer players.

Richie was separated/dropped due to his poor fitness but he spent six weeks training hard and is back in good shape again.

Red Crow wrote: »
    Richie was separated/dropped due to his poor fitness but he spent six weeks training hard and is back in good shape again.

That's good news so.

• Advertisement

Team to play D.I.T in Freshford on Sunday

1. DAVID HERITY DUNNAMAGGIN
    2. CONOR FOGARTY ERINS OWN
    3. MICHAEL WALSH YOUNG IRELANDS
    4. BRIAN KENNEDY ST LACTAINS
    5. SHANE PRENDERGAST CLARA
    6. JOEY HOLDEN BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS
    7. DAVID LANGTON CLARA
    8. GEOFF BRENNAN ST PATRICKS
    9. PARAIC PHELAN EMERALDS
    10. COLIN FENNELLY BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS
    11. T J REID BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS
    12. LIAM RYAN CLARA
    13. JONJO FARRELL THOMASTOWN
    14. MARK KELLY O’LOUGHLIN GAELS
    15. JOE BRENNAN ST PATRICKS

16. EOIN MURPHY GLENMORE
    17. PAUL MURPHY DANESFORT
    18. LESTER RYAN CLARA
    19. RICHIE DOYLE BARROW RANGERS
    20. MATTHEW RUTH JAMES STEPHENS
    21. KEVIN KELLY ST PATRICKS

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

D.I.T. team?

deadybai wrote: »

7. DAVID LANGTON CLARA
    12. LIAM RYAN CLARA

16. EOIN MURPHY GLENMORE
    18. LESTER RYAN CLARA

Where is John Power and Ger Aylward? Power is not playing for UCD anyway he didnt play for them last weekend, would have put them both in instead of Kelly and Brennan. Also would have liked to see Richie Doyle start, reckon he needs games after his injury problems last year. Other for that pretty decent side

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Where is John Power and Ger Aylward? Power is not playing for UCD anyway he didnt play for them last weekend, would have put them both in instead of Kelly and Brennan. Also would have liked to see Richie Doyle start, reckon he needs games after his injury problems last year. Other for that pretty decent side

John Power broke his hand in that fund raising game against Wexford. Happy with that team. They all need games to establish their worth/form. Don't know anything about Aylward. I did hear that some brought in on trial were flushed out at interview stage - attitude! Perhaps he was one. At least Richie Doyle isin the subs.

Both teams for Sunday are on Kilkennygaa.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭randd1

deadybai wrote: »

7. DAVID LANGTON CLARA
    12. LIAM RYAN CLARA

16. EOIN MURPHY GLENMORE
    18. LESTER RYAN CLARA

Young team. It'll be very interesting to see if this will remain the team if they win and how they go in the Walsh Cup if it is, and see if what lads can make it onto the panel for the league.

Good subs to pull through the game if the young lads don't do the business, I think we'll need at least a game against (probably) Galway to prepare for the league.

One thing about Cody since he's been manager is he isn't afraid to let a lad go until his early/mid 20's before bringing him into the team, or the panel.

Peter Barry, Jackie Tyrrell, Kieran Joyce, Brian Hogan, Michael Rice, Michael Fennelly, Martin Comerford, Derek Lyng and James McGarrry didn't really become regulars (or even into the panel) till a few years after they were out of U21, and it didn't do them any harm, in fact it probably helped them as players by being allowed to develop.

The likes of Shane Pender, Joey Holden, Conor Fogarty, David Langton, Ger Aylward (U21 last year) and Kevin Kelly (still U21) are good hurlers that have been hurling great for their clubs over the past few seasons, but probably needed time to develop rather than be dropped straight into the inter-county hurling setup at 18/19 and be overwhelmed.

Its one of the great things about the way Kilkenny club hurling is run, particularly the way the development squads are set up, as its not done to just develop good county teams.
    Its mostly done to make sure the club scene is very competitive and a high standard at all levels, which means that guys that don't shine at underage don't fall through the cracks and are lost, and still have a high enough quality of hurling done so when their time does come they can make the step up to inter-county.

So here's hoping Cody and his management team can pull another gem of a player from the bag unexpectedly, he's done it before a few times after all.

John Power broke his hand in that fund raising game against Wexford. Happy with that team. They all need games to establish their worth/form. Don't know anything about Aylward. I did hear that some brought in on trial were flushed out at interview stage - attitude! Perhaps he was one. At least Richie Doyle isin the subs.

Both teams for Sunday are on Kilkennygaa.ie

Would find it very strange if Ger Aylward was flushed out. Hes one of our most talented of the younger forward players and he impressed during the league. I even heard that when the panel returned from the off season for a fitness test, it was Ger Aylward who was the fittest of them all. It would be a baffling decision from Cody as I think he could turn out to be a very good hurler for us over the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

KK 5-23 D.I.T. 1-08

@KilkennyCLG had updates with all the scorers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

KK 5-23 D.I.T. 1-08

@KilkennyCLG had updates with all the scorers.

A mate was at it said Liam rushe roasted tj? Sine when does rushe play for DIT, I thought he was with UCD

A mate was at it said Liam rushe roasted tj? Sine when does rushe play for DIT, I thought he was with UCD

He used to be in UCD for sure, but he was playing Fitzgibbon Cup with DIT last year. I don't know what he's studying.

If Rushe did roast TJ, he must have done sweet fcuk all else since from the scoreline it looks like DIT were annihilated! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Liam Rushe started at FF and was doing nothing. TJ was running the show without being astounding setting things up. Rushe was then moved to CB to cover TJ at CF, this he did and caught a lot of puckouts and bossed that area but Kilkenny easily worked it around him. TJ still got two nice points from play in the second half off Rushe. Rushe some how seems to have got bigger and stronger and was really their only player of note Niall Mc Morrow and Mike Maloney from Skeough were the only players to stand out for DIT.

• Advertisement

Liam Rushe started at FF and was doing nothing. TJ was running the show without being astounding setting things up. Rushe was then moved to CB to cover TJ at CF, this he did and caught a lot of puckouts and bossed that area but Kilkenny easily worked it around him. TJ still got two nice points from play in the second half off Rushe. Rushe some how seems to have got bigger and stronger and was really their only player of note Niall Mc Morrow and Mike Maloney from Skeough were the only players to stand out for DIT.

Who impressed for us apart from TJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Rushe didn't start or play any of the game at full forward. He started from the throw in at centre back and stayed there for the full 70 minutes. He scored one very good long range point.

Liam Rushe started at FF ........
    dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Rushe didn't start or play any of the game at full forward. He started from the throw in at centre back and stayed there for the full 70 minutes. He scored one very good long range point.

Eh.... I presume ye weren't both at the match :D

KK vs Galway next Sunday in Freshford.

For those at the matchtoday could you please tell me who played well today?

KK vs Galway next Sunday in Freshford.

ah lovely. couldnt go to the game today will look forward to this. Has Freshford been the confirmed venue?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

Very promising performance from a shiny new team. Liam Ryan, John Joe Farrell, Mark Kelly, Padraic Phelan and Michael Walsh all impressed. Herity looked back to his 2012 level, TJ poor enough, Tommy was a bit sloppy (called ashore at HT) and Paul Murphy very much himself. Ger Aylward in the dugout but on crutches

David Herity- did well and was solid with good distribution. He was fouled for the goal but they were well in the lead at that stage so I think the ref let them away with it.

Conor Fogarty- was superb the real standout defensive performer for me. long range point on 43mins
    Michael Walsh- was good without being amazing solid and mobile enough.
    Shane Prendergast- Did bits and bobs noting of note.

Paul Murphy- suprise starter and did well as you would expect, he's distribution was a but wayward at times. He was a bit quieter in the second half but very good overall.
    Joey Holden- was strong and imposed himself, wouldn't be blowin away by him but was solid.
    Tommy- was Tommy, was moving much freer than he has for the last few years I thought. Richie Doyle replaced him at half time.

Geoff Brennan- was very good and worked well pushing forward with Paraic Phelan they completely dominated the midfield. Scored a point on 26mins
    Paraic Phelan- like Brennan did well were both strong and dominated scored a point on 38mins

Colin Fennelly- worked hard but the conditions didn't really suit him very slippy and he was given a few hand passes which were behind him, he scored points on 9mins and 19mins. He was replaced by Kevin Kelly on 45mins
    TJ- was very good at the start and the end Liam Rushe really curtailed him for long portions of the game,he scored points from play on 38mins and 64mins he also scored 4 frees and 1 65.
    Liam Ryan- was a real stand out player he had a great touch and a decent turn of pace, would need to see him again against a better defender to judge him properly but I was well impressed He scored points on 8mins, 40mins, 46mins, 60mins, 61mins & 62mins.

Jonjo Farrell- was quiet in the first half but still worked really hard and that work paid off in the second half with a great display. He scored goals on 32mins, 69mins and points on 54mins, 57mins, 59mins.
    Mark Kelly- Did very well particularly in the second half he worked hard throughout. He scored goals on 34mins, 57mins and a point on 64mins.
    Joe Brennan- He scored his goal early on 4mins in and his point on 48mins he like them all worked hard but didn't really impress compared to the others.

Subs
    Richie Doyle- Came on for Tommy he looked rusty, he settled in after about 10mins but will need to impress more than he showed today.
    Kevin Kelly- Looked a bit rusty too made a few runs but nothing really came off for him, again he would need to do better.

Overall Kilkenny had it handy and lots of the crowd left with 10 to 15 mins to go as they were so dominant. Liam Rushe, Niall McMorrow and Mike Maloney were the only real standout preformers for DIT. I would expect a tougher test from Galway next week and the lads will have to up it another level to get through that. Overall though very encouraging signs particularly up front.

Also as an aside I was walking in beside John Power and he didn't have a broken hand, well he didn't have a cast or any bandaging on either hand anyway.

Yes Freshford no time yet though would assume another 2pm start?

• Advertisement

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Well I thought I saw him in there for the first 5 to 10 mins then came out the field could be wrong wasn't really focusing on DIT lads to be honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement