Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Article on Richie Power in The Indo today. Anyone else think that Richie has never really fulfilled his potential? No doubt he has been great for us but he could be better. He had the same hype as Richie Hogan as a minor but for me Hogan has fulfilled his potential and you sense from him he has even more to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Article on Richie Power in The Indo today. Anyone else think that Richie has never really fulfilled his potential? No doubt he has been great for us but he could be better. He had the same hype as Richie Hogan as a minor but for me Hogan has fulfilled his potential and you sense from him he has even more to give.

I agree, however if we ever needed Ritchie Power to stand up it is this Sunday. If he is picked and is on song it will be a massive boost for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

John power and john leahy on showcase now

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Like an idiot I questioned his worth after he got injured earlier on in the season and had written him off. He was huge to us v Limerick looking back. Something tells me he will have a huge part to play this Sunday. Seems like a man due some redemption in a lot of ways. Best of luck to him.

....Saying all that he'll have to lose the beard though :-)

Michael Lowry said Tipp are faster and skilful than KK, and I believe every word that comes out of his mouth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Our own John Henderson on Sundays game ( sorry cant post the link from GAA news)

.5. Verdict: Who do you think will win the game and why?

I actually think that it’s Tipp's turn, based on the law of averages. I think it’s Tipp's turn because they eventually have to get it right. I hope it’s not this time. I have so many times in the last few years and we have nearly always got it right, but I just feel that if both teams show up it could be Tipp’s year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Like an idiot I questioned his worth after he got injured earlier on in the season and had written him off. He was huge to us v Limerick looking back. Something tells me he will have a huge part to play this Sunday. Seems like a man due some redemption in a lot of ways. Best of luck to him.

....Saying all that he'll have to lose the beard though :-)

We scored 1-2 after Richie came on in semi, he scored the goal and won two frees for the points. He won it for us basically

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Charlie69 wrote: »
    We scored 1-2 after Richie came on in semi, he scored the goal and won two frees for the points. He won it for us basically

Haven't watched it since seeing it live from behind that goal in the torrential rain but I was sure It was Larkins goal.

Haven't watched it since seeing it live from behind that goal in the torrential rain but I was sure It was Larkins goal.

Power claiming it today in the Independent

I think that the key thing on Sunday will be to nullify the 3 Mahers and Callinan and I am sure Brian has some plans for those boys, who do ye think he will be putting on them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Well at 4 days out we'be got the first accurate weather forecast and it looks perfect for hurling. It'll be a bit cooler than the last few days with the highs somewhere about 16-18 with scattered clouds and sunshine the order of the day. There is only the minutist chance of a shower at this stage so neither team can blame the conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Whiskey Nose 14

People are also forgetting the influence of John O Dwyer for Tipp, he hasnt got much of a mention and is in my opinion Tipps most dangerous and consistent forward from play. He scores for fun in every game for Tipp and is slipping under the radar as you might say. We focus too much on the other guys and this guy could cut loose. For me all the Tipp forwards have to be watched closely as any one of them could cut loose on the day. Specifically we should try and curtail Callinan, Bonnar, Corbett and O Dwyer and I think we have done the bulk of the work. Also to cut off their supply is key and put someone fast like Colin Fennelly on Padraic Maher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

I think P.Maher looks at his best when he's allowed to sweep up and given space, he's hard to stop once he gets a gallop up. Think Larkin is the best man to go toe to toe with him, can match him for physicality and is probably stronger in the air, even though Maher might have half a yard on him he wouldn't get too many clean long clearances away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Just to bring you up to speed Sav. Everyone fit & raring to go in Tipp. There will be another open training session on Thursday next. The team will be the same as what started against Cork. Like I say, beating Cork in that historic meeting in croke park was mega for us, anything else will be a bonus.

Like I said,Tipp unchanged for sunday. Fielding an unchanged team is always reassuring.

Like I said,Tipp unchanged for sunday. Fielding an unchanged team is always reassuring.

What. No room for E Kelly?

Another little song to the tune of the Wolf Tones "Janey Mac I'm nearly forty"
    It's called "Ode to The King"

[D] Well there is a man we call King (g)Henry
    He comes[D] from a place called Bally[A] Hale
    Some say(D] that he can walk on G] water
    And [A] he drinks his tae from the holy (D) grail

He was born in a Black and Amber Jersey
    He was holding a Hurley and a ball
    He has nine Celtic crosses on his dresser (soon be ten)
    And all stars, sure they hang on every wall!

CHORUS: So Henry play until you're forty.
    You're looking fitter every day
    You'll be picking up your tenth one very shortly,
    And how we long for you to stay

Well there have been some brilliant hurlers
    Ring and DJ and John Doyle
    If you mixed them all together, you'd get Henry
    For skill and toughness and for style

For fifteen long years he's been our leader
    For Henry it's all about the team
    For all the other counties he's a nightmare
    But for us in Kilkenny he's a dream

CHORUS: Oh Henry play until you're
    Forty you're looking fitter every day day

Well Henry's had more war wounds than Chuck Norris
    But still each year he's back for more
    It was magic to see him and Joe Canning
    The way they traded score for score

Now this has been our golden generation
    With JJ, Tommy and the King
    This team has mesmerised the nation
    And they'll keep it going if you sing -

You'll be picking up your tenth one very shortly

You see Henry, now age is just a number
    It doesn't matter, you've still got the class
    We know on Sunday you'll be up in Croker
    And you'll be ready to kick Tipperary's asssssk me for another chorus!

And how we long for you to stay tenth one very shortly
    And how we long for you to stay!
    So please Mr Cody make him stay!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭MfMan

Another little song to the tune of the Wolf Tones "Janey Mac I'm nearly forty"
    It's called "Ode to The King"

[D] Well there is a man we call King (g)Henry
    He comes[D] from a place called Bally[A] Hale
    Some say(D] that he can walk on G] water
    And [A] he drinks his tae from the holy (D) grail

He was born in a Black and Amber Jersey
    He was holding a Hurley and a ball
    He has nine Celtic crosses on his dresser (soon be ten)
    And all stars, sure they hang on every wall!

CHORUS: So Henry play until you're forty.
    You're looking fitter every day

Well there have been some brilliant hurlers
    Ring and DJ and John Doyle
    If you mixed them all together, you'd get Henry
    For skill and toughness and for style

For fifteen long years he's been our leader
    For Henry it's all about the team
    For all the other counties he's a nightmare
    But for us in Kilkenny he's a dream

Well Henry's had more war wounds than Chuck Norris
    But still each year he's back for more
    It was magic to see him and Joe Canning
    The way they traded score for score

Now this has been our golden generation
    With JJ, Tommy and the King
    This team has mesmerised the nation
    And they'll keep it going if you sing -

You see Henry, now age is just a number
    It doesn't matter, you've still got the class
    We know on Sunday you'll be up in Croker
    And you'll be ready to kick Tipperary's asssssk me for another chorus!

And how we long for you to stay tenth one very shortly
    And how we long for you to stay!
    So please Mr Cody make him stay!

'Hubris Henry' a more apt title?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sir Chaz

People are also forgetting the influence of John O Dwyer for Tipp, he hasnt got much of a mention and is in my opinion Tipps most dangerous and consistent forward from play. He scores for fun in every game for Tipp and is slipping under the radar as you might say. We focus too much on the other guys and this guy could cut loose. For me all the Tipp forwards have to be watched closely as any one of them could cut loose on the day. Specifically we should try and curtail Callinan, Bonnar, Corbett and O Dwyer and I think we have done the bulk of the work. Also to cut rn off their supply is key and put someone fast like Colin Fennelly on Padraic Maher

Only thing about O'Dwyer is that, good and all a hurler that he is, he has no pace. Callinan and Bonnar are the two danger men in my opinion, but Callinan won't get the space he got against Cork, and Bonnar has struggled against the Kilkenny defence in recent years bar the 2011 final. It's no secret what his game is, he'll turn and run at you almost every time, and is very good at it. Seems predictable but the problem marking him is that he wins and turns over ball better than any forward in the game, so often gets 1st run at a defence. He's intelligent and unselfish when he does and that spells trouble for backs considering Corbett and Callinan are both intelligent loose runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sir Chaz

peabutler wrote: »
    I think P.Maher looks at his best when he's allowed to sweep up and given space, he's hard to stop once he gets a gallop up. Think Larkin is the best man to go toe to toe with him, can match him for physicality and is probably stronger in the air, even though Maher might have half a yard on him he wouldn't get too many clean long clearances away.
    Colin Fennelly I reckon. Maher is good on the front foot but struggles on the turn when forwards run at him. Larkin would suit him. A lot is made of the lack of pace in Kilkenny's defence but P Maher will arguably be the slowest defender on view next Sunday. A fine hurler but very vulnerable to pace, as an ageing Eddie Brennan proved 3 years ago, when Maher was playing the best hurling of his career.

I wouldn't rule him out actually starting at 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Sir Chaz wrote: »
    Colin Fennelly I reckon. Maher is good on the front foot but struggles on the turn when forwards run at him. Larkin would suit him. A lot is made of the lack of pace in Kilkenny's defence but P Maher will arguably be the slowest defender on view next Sunday. A fine hurler but very vulnerable to pace, as an ageing Eddie Brennan proved 3 years ago, when Maher was playing the best hurling of his career.

I wouldn't rule him out actually starting at 3.

Maher won't start at 3. McGrath will play deeper at 8 and Barry at 3. Brendan Maher may also "Mark" the space in front of him to protect the D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭kksaints

Will the team being named tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

kksaints wrote: »
    Will the team being named tonight?

Should be announced later tonight. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a couple of changes come Sunday though.

IrishAlice wrote: »
    Should be announced later tonight. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a couple of changes come Sunday though.

Naming dummy teams is so 1990's !

Naming dummy teams is so 1990's !

1990s? Memories of Trip to Tipp. Hoards of people pissing and vomiting in the front gardens of Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Any word on Brian hogan having an injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Fielding an unchanged team is always reassuring.

So is whistling past a graveyard :D

Hitchens wrote: »
    So is whistling past a graveyard :D
    Did you get your ticket hitch?

delaney001 wrote: »
    Any word on Brian hogan having an injury?

Where did this come from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Did you get your ticket hitch?
    Yeah sorted Dan, swapped with a Donegal man ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement