Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread - Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Took 4 pages to find this thread.

Also I seem to have hit factory reset in my brain. Yay exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Getting into the R.D.S. an hour early to realize that you left your notes on the kitchen table.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Epsi

Got diagnosed with OCD. Was pretty sure before but at least I've a proper explanation for the last 6 years. Gotta go deal with an exam tomorrow after having flu the last week. And I've already failed my first exam. Great start to the summer months! At least there's always August. Sorry to vent, it's just been an extremely ****ty week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Getting into the R.D.S. an hour early to realize that you left your notes on the kitchen table.

better than arriving a half hour before with no student card

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Fair point and I saw some poor lad rush to his seat half an hour into the exam today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thesiren

Epsi wrote: »
    Got diagnosed with OCD. Was pretty sure before but at least I've a proper explanation for the last 6 years. Gotta go deal with an exam tomorrow after having flu the last week. And I've already failed my first exam. Great start to the summer months! At least there's always August. Sorry to vent, it's just been an extremely ****ty week.

Hey - that's terrible that everything has hit you all at once. Could you get a doctor's note/letter to give to your tutor, it might help incase you don't do as well in this exam due to having had the flu?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

If that happens, i'm pretty sure you can just use any other ID that's in your wallet. Like an age card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Eoin247 wrote: »
    If that happens, i'm pretty sure you can just use any other ID that's in your wallet. Like an age card.

It did happen me :pac:

Didn't bring wallet with me to RDS in case it got stolen from my bag. So for my first exam i had no ID on me at all.

They just asked me my student number and told me to have it the next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

I get annoyed hearing the fake american accents, why people?
    I honestly thought the college was full of americans when I started this year until it was explained to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

abceire wrote: »
    I honestly thought the college was full of americans when I started this year until it was explained to me.

Erm...I'd advise you avoid UCD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Loads of Canadians in my course too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Is that really a thing? The whole 'ape the accent' shtick?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SimonFM

Whats all this about American accents?

I believe it's the cool thing to do if you come from certain parts of Dublin to talk with an american accent. Plenty of likes and a kinda slower lazy style of delivery, if you go to trinity you'll know what I mean. It's not the worst thing in the world. I suppose I just like when Irish people have their own culture instead of copying the states so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

I believe it's the cool thing to do if you come from certain parts of Dublin to talk with an american accent. Plenty of likes and a kinda slower lazy style of delivery, if you go to trinity you'll know what I mean. It's not the worst thing in the world. I suppose I just like when Irish people have their own culture instead of copying the states so much.

It's not a "certain parts of Dublin" thing so much as a trend thing. I've known people from Sligo and Donegal that speak with an "American" accent as you call it.

And while US customs have invaded over the last few decades, I think people referring to "Irish culture" as this idyllic, pristine state is unrealistic and a bit ridiculous.

Do you mean Catholic, British or Celtic culture? All three are not native to Ireland, and at different times, all three have had influenced how Irish people speak, think and act. Copying the Americans today is just the latest part in the fluid culture of Ireland.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I don't think its people intentionally putting on an accent. So much of our age group grew up watching huge amounts of American TV, its not surprising people have picked up the speech patterns and inflections.

Left some of my gym gear in my locker in college. The important bits anyway. 49km away. All I wanna do is go for a long walk or work out :mad: 13 quid bus fare to town is crippling outside of exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I thought only a few people in my class would get called for a viva, but turns out last year 70% of the class had one. Guess I should start studying again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Do well still need to get the generic BS emails? I dont really need the weekly chaplain report or some guest lecturer who is coming in to speak about something unrelated to my course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Its just forced upon you in certain schools to speak a certain way. My teachers regularly would interrupt a student to correct his pronunciation.So gradually speak in a certain way. I generally notice that people from the country, can only tell between a "posh accent" and a strong "inner city accent". Where as a Dubliner, can tell where someone is from listening to their accent. Your accent is important in Dublin, as people judge you on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

hfallada wrote: »
    Do well still need to get the generic BS emails? I dont really need the weekly chaplain report or some guest lecturer who is coming in to speak about something unrelated to my course

Set up a filter that catches emails from the trinity spam you don't want. Haven't seen a noticeboard or Student Learning email in years. It'd be nice if there was somewhere we could unsubscribe to emails we know we'll never want though.

Its just forced upon you in certain schools to speak a certain way. My teachers regularly would interrupt a student to correct his pronunciation.So gradually speak in a certain way. I generally notice that people from the country, can only tell between a "posh accent" and a strong "inner city accent". Where as a Dubliner, can tell where someone is from listening to their accent. Your accent is important in Dublin, as people judge you on it.

My class is most Dubs with a Dub accents so our teachers don't really ask us to repeat ourselves. I understand what you mean, in certain societies I will speak slower and more clearly or else the others might not understand me. It's just like speaking the way I did when living away. I still don't understand though why so many speak with the american accent. But as I'm older, I maybe haven't been so influenced by american tv and movies? But then why don't all young adults speak with this accent, why do so many in Trinity or those from affluent Dublin suburbs talk like this? IS it purely a trend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Its just forced upon you in certain schools to speak a certain way. My teachers regularly would interrupt a student to correct his pronunciation.So gradually speak in a certain way.

First, unless it's a school of American teachers, that would hardly explain the South County Dublin accent. Second, I experienced no such thing in my school. My teachers would often not even correct someone for mispronouncing a word ("Hyperbole" is NOT pronounced "Hyper-bowl"!; "Breathed" does NOT have two syllables!), so there is no way they'd correct someone if they were pronouncing a word in a certain accent. The poster I quote may have experienced it, but I find it very difficult to believe that the "correcting" by teachers of their students' accents could lead to the widespread adoption of the accent.

I've never been corrected, I might just have to repeat what I said.
    I just wonder where it came from?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

I think many Irish accents started becoming americanised around the time the Friends tv series came out. (that's 20 years ago for anybody who wants to feel old :))

Many affluent children from South Dublin would visit America a lot. Evidence of this included the Abercrombie, Victoria Secret sweatpants and Ugg phase(s). Then there is also the culture aspect (television, music, "celebrity"). I've a feeling reality television played a big part in it ("The Hills" was huge back in the day and most of the people on it had very low accents with slow, drawn out words).

I watched the Hills and didn't start talking like that. I do understand how it can happen a bit. I find myself saying like a lot more of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LLMMML

Accents are picked up subconsciously, more from your peer group than anyone else (parents etc.),like many other mannerisms. You'd be speaking with an Americanized accent if your friends all did too, and you wouldn't even notice.

LLMMML wrote: »
    Accents are picked up subconsciously, more from your peer group than anyone else (parents etc.),like many other mannerisms. You'd be speaking with an Americanized accent if your friends all did too, and you wouldn't even notice.
    I totally like get that. I think it's happened to me too, like totally happened to me. Yep you sure do end up talking like those you are around, how does it start though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

The emails from the library that come in at 6am.

Advertisement