Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread - Part 2

Options
  • 10-03-2013 12:23am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So since the original thread has reached 10,000 posts (maximum thread size before it starts to affect site performance), I've had to close it and start this one instead.

Carry on with your ranting, bitching and moaning as usual. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I liked the old thread better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

10,000 moans! That's near enough one per student, and ye all attending the top university in the country. I'd hate to see how yis moan if ye were attending Castleblayney technical college or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Didn't TCD take a big slip in one of the major rankings this week past. As in went from 50 something last year to outside of the top 100? One of the major English rankings I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Must have something to do with the loss of Trinity's world renowned rant thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Concerns about the thread's lack of funding and innovation, and the ongoing threat to merge it into the UCD rant thread may have affected its ranking alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Looked it up and it was the Times Higher Education Rankings. It hasn't slipped year to year apparantly but it's at only 110. Not great. Lots of systemic mismanagement by the college administration though. There are plenty of talented students and great works being done in the college and it's a huge pity that they're let down by an archaic, lagging administration. The amount of cancelled lectures, results miscalculations and general tomfoolery that I've witnessed over the last year has been extremely frustrating. I know someone in Imperial College London and over there general feedback forms are regularly distributed to the students and the complaints are actually listened to and things are fixed! Time for the heads to sit up and take notice.

That's my rant I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I didn't think the ranking took into account that kind of thing, but focused on research impact, number of academic staff, etc. I always got the impression that undergrad teaching wasn't something they cared about too much with these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Lawliet wrote: »
    I always got the impression that undergrad teaching wasn't something they cared about too much with these things.
    Who, Trinity or the surveyors? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭silenceisfoo

People who eat in the 1937 Reading Room. The woman eating a tinfoil wrapped burrito was taking the piss until her friend sat down beside her and had a chicken curry and rice dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Final year projects and supervisors from a different department. Don't ask me to do **** that I'm clearly not capable/educated in doing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

The final stretch of your final year Thesis and trying to conclude the damn thing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

People who don't hold the Pearse St gate open for you at night when they can see you coming towards it :mad:

Having a desk on the second floor of the Berkley. It's like the staff don't want you able to connect to the internet and catch pneumonia at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

Selling tickets for an event in the Laughter Lounge to raise money... Not going well, looks like I won't shift them all in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 msirritable

People who eat in the 1937 Reading Room. The woman eating a tinfoil wrapped burrito was taking the piss until her friend sat down beside her and had a chicken curry and rice dish.

Hahaha. I thought I was the only one who noticed. Who are these people and how can they be politely removed from the Reading Room?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Why didn't you tell them to eat their dinner outside? You need to shame these people so they stop doing it. A burrito and a effin chicken curry? That's ridiculous.
    Having a desk on the second floor of the Berkley. It's like the staff don't want you able to connect to the internet and catch pneumonia at the same time.

Why is it so cold up there? Need to wear thermals these days in college. Even the Hamilton computer rooms aren't as hot as they use to be! :pac:

Larianne wrote: »

Why is it so cold up there? Need to wear thermals these days in college. Even the Hamilton computer rooms aren't as hot as they use to be! :pac:

The top floor of the Berkeley's always been freezing! Only ever worked up there for one semester in 2nd year (had one module that involved books from there so I'd just use the desks there rather than trek all the way back to the Ussher) and, I swear, I spent most of that time convinced I'd accidentally been transported back to 1970 :p It didn't help that I was reading fairly old articles that repeatedly said things like "In the the thirty years that have passed since WW2..."....

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Warrior011

Just after spilling a full mug of tea all over the kitchen floor, my notes and my girlfriend's laptop charger, brilliant.....

Stupid rain.

The last few days before the dissertation is due.

I seem to be living in an endless cycle of frantic proofreading, rewriting, adding sections, concluding... mixed with procrastination coffees. CANNOT WAIT til this is finished.

• Advertisement

The last few days before the dissertation is due.

I seem to be living in an endless cycle of frantic proofreading, rewriting, adding sections, concluding... mixed with procrastination coffees. CANNOT WAIT til this is finished.

Two more weeks for me!

I'm also starting to hate my class.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Happy thesisness. :pac:

Revenue have sent me a letter asking me to pay the property tax - I've never owned one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

How I'd love if the college did a shuttle bus between James' & the campus.
    Got f*cking soaked today

Anita Blow wrote: »
    How I'd love if the college did a shuttle bus between James' & the campus.
    Got f*cking soaked today

Just go into the Hammo computer rooms to dry off! :pac:

It's a total pain in the ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Was in the Biomed which for whatever reason seems to be consistently maintained at -40 degrees.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Trying to get a computer in the Reading Room. Some people in their seem to think it is their personal property. This morning I got asked to move because some woman ALWAYS used that computer. Seriously.

I actually sh*t you not, a woman has just come in, taken out a knife and fork, and is proceeding to eat a hot chicken burrito in the 1937 Reading Room. Seriously.
    The saddest part of this is she doesn't even know she is in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Trying to get a computer in the Reading Room. Some people in their seem to think it is their personal property. This morning I got asked to move because some woman ALWAYS used that computer. Seriously.

I hope you didn't actually move :P

• Advertisement

I actually sh*t you not, a woman has just come in, taken out a knife and fork, and is proceeding to eat a hot chicken burrito in the 1937 Reading Room. Seriously.
    The saddest part of this is she doesn't even know she is in danger.

I'm starting to not believe you..

Advertisement