Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2013 (Voting Thursday March 14) #VoteUL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

bella103 wrote: »
    It's the truth though, the man is afraid to grow up! I'm not just saying it from an outside view either

So Daragh is of the age that he doesn't need to get a 'real' job? I'm confused?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bella103

CiaranMT wrote: »

Why? One of McCoys main points is to do with blinds in the library. Afaik they've been sorted since December.

I'm basing my vote on his manifesto as a whole, not just one of the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MK90

lkionm wrote: »
    He is only getting started? God bless his little soul.

The welfare office is open and accessible to students already? They are just buzz words. I dont think the students need to know what goes on in the office, only if it is a campaign or that stuff which they have their own personal page, their SU page, and the union page to get it out there. It is not their fault if a student is too lazy to add them on facebook, so with those tools already it is pretty hard to make it more 'open'. I had to go to PAddys office twice this year and I noticed that all their doors are open, so does he want to remove the doors so they cant close the doors?
    So that is buzz words he is running with.

I think saying Catriona has experience in this area is a bit odd considering Cathal has been doing this job for a year, so he probably has more hands on experience rather than a theory based experience. Also if a student has a serious mental issue they get referred to a doctor, the welfare officer cannot diagnose stuff like that. They can help an issue which you do not want to talk to your friends about though and point someone in the right direction if it gets serious. James has no clue what the job is and for that reason I am out.

Are you on his team, you seem defensive and biased by saying he is only starting?

I am not, I might appear defensive because I think it's refreshing that we have a typical student running for office and not the usual "big shot" and seeing McMahon has his video and manifesto out first I think that there is more to come from him.

I respect your opinions why you think James isn't suited for the job but i think its early days yet.

I can see Caitriona being the front runner though, lets just hope her campaign is good because she is definitely the strongest candidate in this election.

But that doesn't rule out Cathal Ronan. He is a big personality around UL and I have to say I liked his manifesto last year but didn't follow through on his promises e.g. "shag week like charity week", "welfare on wheels" and I never heard anything about this weekly run. Maybe he did do activities but I can't remember them happening, please correct me if I am wrong on this. It will be interesting what he has lined up this year.

Sorry if I came across biased I wish all the candidates the best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

It's the truth though, the man is afraid to grow up! I'm not just saying it from an outside view either, I know him fairly well, and have dealt with him plenty of times for college purposes and I just think, with the greatest respect, it's time for him to get on with life and brave the real world.

So you feel the need to not vote for him and vote for someone who wants blinds? I think maybe you need to live in the real world where moving seats or changing the angle are not problems.

He wants to be a teacher so academic is absolutely perfect footing to further his career down the line and he is doing good work in the union.

So Daragh is of the age that he doesn't need to get a 'real' job? I'm confused?

I haven't a clue what age he is, but I know he's only in his fourth year, what is this, Paddy's 7th? 8th even? It's public knowledge that Paddy failed his final year just to come back and run again. It's just getting a little bit sad in my opinion.

• Advertisement

So you feel the need to not vote for him and vote for someone who wants blinds? I think maybe you need to live in the real world where moving seats or changing the angle are not problems.

He wants to be a teacher so academic is absolutely perfect footing to further his career down the line and he is doing good work in the union.

I voted for Paddy last year, I've seen no major changes.Daragh also wants to be a teacher, it's in his bio. Nice to give someone new a good opportunity and see if he can change things up a bit. Whatever the case, Paddy Rockett will not be getting my vote this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SpudWinkle

MK90 wrote: »
    But that doesn't rule out Cathal Ronan. He is a big personality around UL and I have to say I liked his manifesto last year but didn't follow through on his promises e.g. "shag week like charity week", "welfare on wheels" and I never heard anything about this weekly run. Maybe he did do activities but I can't remember them happening, please correct me if I am wrong on this.

I think you're right actually, I don't remember seeing any of those, apart from the couch on wheels during campaign week. He'll need a fairly strong manifesto this year to make up for that. Completely undecided between him and Catríona now :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Caitríona Ní Dhonnchú

Mental Health

Mental health is an area about which I am hugely passionate, hence why I chose to work in this area as a mental health nurse. Mental health permeates every aspect of our lives. When it suffers, every aspect of our life suffers, and likewise, when we are struggling sexually, financially, socially, or otherwise, our mental health is at risk. I have many ideas for developing and embedding the concept of mental health promotion on campus and in the wider community. All of my ideas are inexpensive and simple, but I believe that managed correctly, they would be highly effective.

Peer Led Stress and Anxiety Management Sessions

• Peer-led “Coping with Stress” sessions
    • Peer-led relaxation and mindfulness sessions

Stress and anxiety are major, and debilitating, facets of life for many students. Exam stress, financial worries, FYPs, and relationship problems can all chip away at a student’s confidence, and self-esteem. Indeed, many students leave college due to the pressures of college life. Rather than pay expensive mental health professionals to facilitate the aforementioned sessions, I would like to tap into our biggest, and most inexpensive asset on campus.......the students!!! We have a huge number of students in the Department of Education and Health Sciences in UL who, under appropriate supervision, would be able to facilitate such sessions. I have contacted the new Office of Civic Engagement in UL, and they stated that they are really enthusiastic about working with me on such initiatives. Similarly, lecturers in the Department of Education and Health Sciences have stated that they would be happy to fulfil this supervisory role.

Advantages for the students facilitating the sessions:
    • Increased confidence in their own expertise, leading to a greater level of competence in their professional life
    • Opportunity to put the hours towards the President’s Volunteer Award
    • Possibility of receiving module accreditation for their involvement in this initiative, as already discussed with the Office of Civic Engagement in UL
    • Greater involvement in campus life, leading to an increased circle of friends and contacts

Advantages for students availing of these sessions:
    • Free to attend
    • Peer facilitation would be a positive step towards the de-stigmatisation of mental health issues
    • Students’ mental health needs are increasingly catered for on campus in an integrated manner.

Suicide Awareness

Suicide is increasingly becoming a more serious issue amongst young people. We have a responsibility to recognise at-risk students, and to put appropriate interventions in place, such as referral to the UL counselling service. The following certified suicide intervention courses would help equip students with the appropriate skill set and confidence to be able to intervene appropriately with at-risk friends, family, colleagues etc.

• Gatekeeper Training (suicide prevention course)
    • Asist – Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training

Mental Health First Aiders
    I plan to provide the entire college community with the opportunity to engage in Mental Health First Aid. This is a certified, 12 hour course that equips individuals with the appropriate knowledge and skills to intervene when someone is in a psychiatric crisis, until appropriate professional help arrives. This approach could benefit someone experiencing a panic attack, someone who may be suicidal, someone who has taken an overdose etc.

All students in the university would have the opportunity to partake in these courses!

Financial Issues

Higher Education Grants
    I have contacted SUSI (the online student grant application system), and one of the main reasons cited for grant delays is the inaccurate completion of grant forms by students. In order to address this root problem, I believe that the following simple, but practical suggestions could be useful:

• Reasons for grant delays displayed in a new Grants Section on the ULSU website, as well as practical tips for students to avoid the usual pitfalls
    • Free workshops on how to fill out the grant form correctly
    • Email to all students during the summer with the necessary information on SUSI and how to ensure swift grant approval

Budgeting Workshops

As students, some of us can have a tendency to spend money foolishly. I think it is important to make students aware of simple, cost-saving measures that they can implement in their daily lives. I already begun work on organising free workshops to offer students friendly, practical advice for budgeting so that students can squeeze as much as they can or need from every cent they have.

Sexual Health

​Cheap Durex condoms
    I intend to buy Durex condoms in bulk, and pass on the savings to students. A 144 box would be available for just €40 or alternatively 6 Durex condoms for €2. This initiative would support and encourage safer sex, leading to fewer STIs and unplanned pregnancies. Free condoms will still be available from the SU. Also, a condom-mobile will travel around campus every week to make contraception more accessible, and giving you the opportunity to chat to me about anything at all that is on your mind.

Cheaper STI testing
    The Medical Centre in the University is eager to enter into negotiations about how we can offer students more affordable, comprehensive healthcare. Currently, the Sexually Transmitted Infection clinic is one of the most expensive clinics to access, despite the fact that STIs are increasingly prevalent, with 6 in every 100 students having an STI. I believe that it is important to facilitate students in accessing this service, by working to make it more affordable.
    Apart from financial pressures, some students are slow to access this service due to embarrassment and lack of information. To alleviate their concerns, on the Welfare section of the ULSU website, information would be available on STI screening, and the steps involved.

“Safe Sex” Sessions
    I aim to run regular information sessions on effective contraceptive planning, in conjunction with the Red Ribbon Project. Last semester, 4 students presented to the Medical Centre with a crisis pregnancy. Previous year averages are 1 per year. I think that it is highly important to ensure that information is readily available for students on how they can engage in safer sex, and that this information is presented in an informal, relaxed environment. Not only would this simple initiative support a decrease in crisis pregnancies, but also STIs.

Drug Health

I acknowledge that university can be a time of experimentation amongst some students however I believe that education and an awareness of the risks are vital to making smart choices. During my year in office I will always incorporate an open door policy to any student who wishes to seek information on a one-to-one basis. I understand that group information sessions may not be effective for the topic ‘drugs’ but it would be useful to host regular fun events focussed on drug awareness. Table quizes, games in the courtyard and entertaining An Focal sections, all focused on shining a down-to-earth and factual light on drugs would be the most effective methods of building an informed student body!
    Once again, I will draw on my experience from volunteering with Limerick organisations to involve the right people where needed to add substance these efforts

Online Awareness Campaigns

It may be controversial, however I believe we need radical change with how we, as a student body, approach awareness campaigns. In my view the biggest issue at the moment, and it has been for a number of years, is that once off week long campaigns are overly expensive and often fail to accomplish their objectives. I believe to get the most value for money, the students’ money, is to shift focus towards a more continuous online model that can focus on specific smaller aspects of drug and STI awareness every week.
    I hope to make much more effective use of social media and the ULSU website to raise awareness for some of the topics I’ve already discussed: drugs and STI. My intention is to focus on one drug and one STI for an entire week, on alternating weeks. This method of raising awareness is cost effective and wide-reaching, and it helps to avoid the information overload that can accompany campaigns that bombard you with too much information at once.

Welfare Crew

Student-led group working on welfare-related issues

In order not to neglect any aspect of health and welfare promotion on campus, I believe that wise management of resources and a collaborative effort is vital. As Welfare Officer, I would like to give people the opportunity to get involved in the work of the Welfare Office. Many students who have a genuine interest in, and passion for, welfare-related issues deserve the privilege of contributing to the well-being of their fellow students.

I want to develop a Welfare Crew to provide interested students with the opportunity to help out with welfare promotion on campus. The students on the crew, alongside the Welfare Officer, will identify students’ greatest needs, and with this information appropriate initiatives can be developed and implemented.Campaign weeks such as SHAG Week, Mental Health Week, and Road Safety Week, will be developed with the help, creativity and innovation of the Welfare Crew to meet the objectives of raising awareness. Another campaign which I would like to introduce in UL is the PleaseTalk Campaign which aims to raise awareness of the support services available on campus for students experiencing difficulties e.g. Connect, Counselling Service, Disabilities Office, Chaplaincy.

​“Many students who have a genuine interest in, and passion for, welfare-related issues”

By encouraging students to get involved, it enables the Welfare Officer to commit time and energy to every aspect of the job, ensuring that no aspect gets neglected. I believe that this would be a very effective way of utilising our most valuable resource.....our students.

Advantages of being in the Welfare Crew:
    • By giving students the opportunity to develop a wide array of new skills, it helps them decide on a career direction for after college.
    • Opportunity to put the hours towards the President’s Volunteer Award
    • For students who do not go on Co-op, there is the possibility of receiving module accreditation for their involvement in this initiative, as discussed with the Office of Civic Engagement in UL.
    • Greater involvement in campus life, leading to an increased circle of friends and contacts

Communication

As mentioned already, if I get elected, my office will always incorporate an open door policy when it comes to engaging with students. I would endeavour to be a very open, visible and approachable Welfare Officer. I plan to create transparency in terms of the work that I do. In order to create this transparency, I would send weekly emails to the student body on my progress during the week and informing them of upcoming welfare initiatives on campus.
    Currently I believe that the ULSU website is too convoluted and needs to be easier to navigate. I would update the Welfare Section on the ULSU website to include a much more comprehensive description of all the health and welfare issues most pertinent to students.

I plan to introduce an online discussion forum on the website so that students can raise any issues or questions they might have, and to enable students to offer suggestions for further welfare initiatives. A discussion forum on the site would also enhance accountability, insofar as I would have to engage with the forum as often as students need me to communicate with them.

I would use social media, including Twitter and Facebook, on a daily basis. It is very important to me that every student in UL would know the name and face of their Welfare Officer, and that they would always feel comfortable communicating with the Welfare Officer, either online or face-to-face.

Accommodation

Many students who are living away from home for the first time are unaware of their rights and responsibilities regarding accommodation. Students are in a vulnerable position and could be exploited by landlords without an awareness and understanding of their rights. Prior to the commencement of each semester, I would send an email to all students with all the necessary information to protect their welfare in this regard. Also, I would make full use of the ULSU website to increase awareness e.g. “Tips on what to look out for when choosing and moving into a new place.” Furthermore, I would encourage students and landlords to approach me for advice and support before situations escalate.

Co-op Students

I would endeavour to create the opportunity for Co-op students to complete their placement in the Welfare Office. This would be a particularly beneficial experience for those students considering a health or welfare-related career.
    For students who do not go on Co-op, there is the possibility of receiving module accreditation for their involvement in the Welfare Crew, as discussed with the Office of Civil Engagement in UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Students can vote anyway they want, however expressing dislike for someone on a personal basis on a public forum isn't fair to that person, Paddy has done a good job this year, people should take that into account as well as what the other candidates plan to do, but people defaming him personally are not justly reflecting his ability to do the job. this forum should be judging the candidates fairly on manifestos, policy vids etc. not on how much they like or dislike a person for whatever reason

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tighearnan

Small detail, but his name is actually Daragh. One 'r'. Only pointing it out cause I have similar problems with my name and it's really annoying. But anyway that's besides the point. Went through his manifesto and met him out canvassing tonight, seems like a sound lad and would be nice to see a new face rather than Rocketts in office who I quite frankly think needs to grow up and get a real job. He has my vote anyway.

Thats a terrible reason to choose your vote, what if the person going against is terrible ( im not saying mccoy is) you would rather someone who couldnt do the job that rocket?

Also in regards to James's video, i thought i had seen something like that before. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU6V1_hiLzc
    He has essentially just copied (very badly) Pa O'Briens video from years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Students will never read that manifesto.

EDIT: There's also way too much included for it to be achievable.

SpudWinkle wrote: »
    Even if they're not, would that not be Buildings and Estates' responsibility, rather than the academic officer? :confused:

It would take the academic officer petitioning buildings and estates to make it happen. Just from my experience in dealing with them for drama society, it takes a lot of pressuring them to get a job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Id be cautious of a manifesto that includes something that been sorted (apparently) since last December. Its an easy mistake to make but it makes me question just how much time has been put in to it or is it just a series of buzz words with filler put in. Saying that when I initially saw it i was impressed cause its something that used to really piss me off whenever I was stuck near a window.

Also, on another note, I really hate "hes afraid to grow up" tag that people are trying to stick on Paddy. He's only two years as a sabbat now IIRC, which is the same as Derek Daly (and i'm sure there have been others in this position) was when he ran for Pres yet I did not see this being said. The lads style might be a little out there but, imo, hes done his job well this year with the extended hours at exam time, the drop in centre during exams and my own personal experience with him. Plus, as many a former sabbat has said,no-one takes on these roles for the job. Contrary to popular belief it isn't well paid and the hours can be very unsociable, plus the abuse that does be thrown about here and on other mediums can be not nice to downright nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

I voted for Paddy last year, I've seen no major changes.Daragh also wants to be a teacher, it's in his bio. Nice to give someone new a good opportunity and see if he can change things up a bit. Whatever the case, Paddy Rockett will not be getting my vote this year.

I didnt read his bio, but fair enough, that point I made is invalid.

Well for me it was the closing hours for exam time in the library. It affected way more students that class reps are capable and all their fancy training.

He gets my vote because of the library.

As for the change, not much he can change, same with welfare. They pretty much work in private.

The only person that can use change in their manifesto should be presidents. Its impossible for some lad to say I wanna change this and that when he hasnt a clue of the dynamics.

Tighearnan wrote: »

Thats a terrible reason to choose your vote, what if the person going against is terrible ( im not saying mccoy is) you would rather someone who couldnt do the job that rocket?

Also in regards to James's video, i thought i had seen something like that before. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU6V1_hiLzc

I'm not choosing to vote against Paddy, I'm choosing to vote for Daragh. If I thought Daragh would be terrible, I would just vote Paddy, as I did last year when I had the same opinion about him but thought he would be much better than the girl who ran against him. I've had the same opinion of Paddy for the past 3 years but I still voted for him in the last two elections because he was the best choice, this year though, I don't think he is.

Students will never read that manifesto.

EDIT: There's also way too much included for it to be achievable.

I tried to tidy it up a bit there so it should be easier to read anyway.

Just starting to read that manifesto now, have a feeling I could be here for a while. I just looked at her Facebook page though, and there's some very unfortunate phrasing on it. :eek:

244505.jpg

A bit of a stretch there really

MK90 wrote: »
    I am not, I might appear defensive because I think it's refreshing that we have a typical student running for office and not the usual "big shot" and seeing McMahon has his video and manifesto out first I think that there is more to come from him.

What is with this "typical student" crap that spews out every year, how are any of them not typical students (except for the current lads who were students the year previous). To be involved with C&S and the SU shows that ya care for something more than just your degree, not that your some non typical student. Its pointless crap that happens every year with some person running claiming they are just another student as opposed to the other student candidates.

yup, definately a mistake that label

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Caitríona just blew James out of the water for Welfare

I didnt read his bio, but fair enough, that point I made is invalid.

Well for me it was the closing hours for exam time in the library. It affected way more students that class reps are capable and all their fancy training.

He gets my vote because of the library.

As for the change, not much he can change, same with welfare. They pretty much work in private.

The only person that can use change in their manifesto should be presidents. Its impossible for some lad to say I wanna change this and that when he hasnt a clue of the dynamics.

Well that's fair enough, everyone to their own.

Quintis wrote: »
    A bit of a stretch there really

Either that or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y86nbhR5exE. Either way its a terrible plagiaristic video.

Jester252 wrote: »

Her manifesto is very long, if anything it shows a real passion and desire, but brevity can often be better, especially for campaigning

Her manifesto is very long, if anything it shows a real passion and desire, but brevity can often be better, especially for campaigning

She has a concise version on the Facebook page as well. The complete version is on the website.

Very impressed by Caitriona's manifesto. Nicely laid out and there has been thought being put into a lot of the ideas. Still waiting on Ronans but on manifestos alone, shes in no 1

Either that or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y86nbhR5exE. Either way its a terrible plagiaristic video.

Ha its obviously a play on the stig, that is the point of the video, suggesting that everyone should know who the welfare officer is, as opposed to some faceless person, that is quite obvious

Jester252 wrote: »

I hope she used a Durex condom ;) Ah no though, it's a brilliant manifesto despite unfortunate phrasing. Cathal has a massive job on his hands to try and top that, she seems to have nearly everything covered. She's definitely passed out James anyway.

freyners wrote: »
    Very impressed by Caitriona's manifesto. Nicely laid out and there has been thought being put into a lot of the ideas. Still waiting on Ronans but on manifestos alone, shes in no 1

Agreed, though it took me awhile to get through, seriously impressive

• Advertisement

Ha its obviously a play on the stig, that is the point of the video, suggesting that everyone should know who the welfare officer is, as opposed to some faceless person, that is quite obvious

The welfare person is not some faceless person. He was introduced to first years during orientation. There are tons of pictures of him around the su, on the su website, in each copy of an focal, and on his door.

There is a difference to a play on the stig and what we saw which was ripping it off terribly with **** sound and terrible video quality and a **** message.

Also taken quotes of the stig, a faceless person to show how he wont be a faceless person seems pointless dont ya think ?

Advertisement