Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Golf Tips Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Running P/L = +118 Points.

3M Open selections:

Matthew Wolff - 2 Points E/W - 28/1 PP, 1-8 1/5 odds.

This guy is insanely overpriced. Like he should be closer to 16/1. Last years winner. The 3M used to be a seniors event so last year was its first outing on the main PGA tour. What I've noticed though is a massive overlap between the Rocket Mortgage Classic 2020 from a few weeks ago and the 3M 2019. Wolff and DeChambeau were the 1-2 in both (though switched places). Adam Hadwin had a top 5 in both, Troy Merritt had a top 10 in both. Viktor Hovland had a top 15 in both.

Of those 5 golfers, only Wolff and Merritt play this week. The Rocket Mortgage classic being just a few weeks ago let's me know that they are both capable of a high finish post lockdown.

Troy Merritt - .5 Point E/W - 70/1 PP, 1-8 1/5 odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭zimmermania

I never rated Lads as golf bookmakers but for the British Masters they hammered Pp with my selections Ramsay was 60 to 1 in lads 40 in Pp and Bjork was 45 to 1 35 in Powers .
    I had a tenner ew both 7 places.

Stuck a tenner ew on WOLFF to stage a repeat in a weak enough field in the US;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Few blind darts at cross doubles in the 2 tours

British masters 7 places
    Migliozzi 40/1
    Sadidier 55/1
    Kjeldsen 70/1

3m 8 places
    Fleetwood 14/1
    Merrit 66/1
    Clark 66/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Gone for the each way double again:

British Masters

Eddie Pepperell & Brandon Stone

3M Open

Hemrik Norlander & Lucas Glowver

Good luck all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Roger Sloan of Canada has a chance, 200-1. Good putter, good iron player, terrible short game, but hopefully won't need to scramble much. Was tied 15th in this last year with 4 rounds in the 60's, and played well 2 weeks ago at Muirfield tied 27th. Interestingly there is a dude called Joey Garber who was tied 7th in the 3M tournament last year, shot 73, and then three 65s, he is on the korn ferry tour this week, 66-1 in a soft tournament. He is outside the top 500 in the world, but could do something in this field.

• Advertisement

3 ew punts on the 3m for me this week 8 places

Glover 30/1
    Burns 35/1
    Seiffert 100/1

3 ew punts on the 3m for me this week 8 places

Glover 30/1
    Burns 35/1
    Seiffert 100/1

Burns is 40/1 with bar one a fifth the first 8 as well if you can get on. Like him a bit myself, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

OOC if people are backing selections E/W, why is nobody backing them on
    Betfair Exchange for the 3M golf?
    They are 1/5 odds, 10 places e/w and most of the players are at bigger prices.
    Might need a wait to get matched if price isn't available immediately though.

3M tournament:
    Boyle Extra card holders, get MB if selection finishes 2nd, 3rd or 4th for win singles or win part of e/w bets to max €20.
    PP offer MB 2nd, 3rd and 4th to all shops punters to max €20.
    Unfortunately e/w terms and additional MB offers in golf tournaments have a bearing on their prices.
    Ladbrokes used to do MB if player missed the cut, not sure of they did it for the British Masters though.
    They had no shop coupon for the 3M only the British Masters.

Ladbrokes last week for the Memorial had an offer "bet €20 on the O/R Memorial coupon and get a Free €10 bet for in Play golf for the SSBT".
    Wasn't repeated for the tournaments this week though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Tyrrell Hatton looks an absolutely colossal price for the USPGA Championship @ 50/1.

Will most definitely be having an early go at that price, as I can see him going off no greater than 33/1.

• Advertisement

Roger Sloan of Canada has a chance, 200-1. Good putter, good iron player, terrible short game, but hopefully won't need to scramble much. Was tied 15th in this last year with 4 rounds in the 60's, and played well 2 weeks ago at Muirfield tied 27th. Interestingly there is a dude called Joey Garber who was tied 7th in the 3M tournament last year, shot 73, and then three 65s, he is on the korn ferry tour this week, 66-1 in a soft tournament. He is outside the top 500 in the world, but could do something in this field.

None of them did anything, 2 missed cuts. Back to Billy Horschel this week I think, 45-1 7 places in powers. In the barracuda, could be Steele, could be Noren, but I'll probably split stakes. Stableford competition, 5 points for an Eagle, 2 for a birdie, 0 par, - 1 bogey, - 3 double bogey or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Few small e/w's for me this week - Matt Fitz - Daniel Berger - Billy Horshell & Ryan Palmer all each way.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭tinpib

Small e/w for me too, well win and top 20 finish on BFX to be exact.

Billy Horschel 60 and Chez Reavie 170 have good 'course and distance' form at big prices.

From a relatively quick skim of the big boys Webb Simpson and Patrick Cantlay do well, roughly 26 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Small ew bets on Speith, Ancer and Finau.

I think Speith has been playing fairly well and is due to pull around together soon

Shortlist is a little longer than usual for the week that is in it but with the place terms on offer i don't mind as much all ew punts 1/5 odds

Schaufelle 20/1 8 places (betway)

Dj 22/1 8 places (365)

Morikawa 30/1 10 places (boyles)

Matsuyama 40/1 8 places (365)

Oosthuizen 75/1 8 places (365)

Scheffler 90/1 10 places (pp)

Bubba 100/1 8 places (365)

Champ 150/1 8 places (365)

Van rooyen 150/1 10 places (pp)

Few small e/w's for me this week - Matt Fitz - Daniel Berger - Billy Horshell & Ryan Palmer all each way.

Fitz and berger got me place money. Might go again for the PGA.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

B&M

Ladbrokes:
    Bet €20 on coupon, get a free €10 in play voucher for the Betstation - 7 places

Paddy Power:
    10 places but NO money back if 2nd, 3rd or 4th which is the first time in a long while they haven't done it for a golf tournament.

Boyles:
    10 places - Money Back 2nd, 3rd or 4th if a Boyle cardholder.

Betfair exchange:
    Win Only or 10 places (not much difference between Exchange & PP prices).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭munster87

Have backed Berger, he’s in great form of late, had a great day on Sunday again.
    I’m on Webb too, frustrating at times last week but this course will suit.
    Will also back Woodland, runner up here in the matchplay to Rory in 2015 and has shown glimpses since the restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

All my eggs in the xander basket. This is it. I had this feeling about woodland last year when he won and didn’t make the most of it. X will prevail this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

unplayable wrote: »
    All my eggs in the xander basket. This is it. I had this feeling about woodland last year when he won and didn’t make the most of it. X will prevail this week.

I’m in that same basket
    Extra big bet as it’s so long since last bet

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Mickelson , Van Rooyen , Woodland and Byeong Hun Ann.

I have backed them all on the exchanges. Only 5 places. The reason being that I think the 10 place offers are scammy enough. When you finish 6-10 more often than not the price gets diluted as there are so many golfers tied 3-4 shots off the lead. I would rather get better odds at 5 places and do my money than get half my ew stake back on a Monday morning. All duck or no dinner for me.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Mickelson , Van Rooyen , Woodland and Byeong Hun Ann.

I have backed them all on the exchanges. Only 5 places. The reason being that I think the 10 place offers are scammy enough. When you finish 6-10 more often than not the price gets diluted as there are so many golfers tied 3-4 shots off the lead. I would rather get better odds at 5 places and do my money than get half my ew stake back on a Monday morning. All duck or no dinner for me.

I’ve backed Van Rooyen frl. Out nice and early.

munster87 wrote: »
    I’ve backed Van Rooyen frl. Out nice and early.

Big wind coming around lunchtime so the late starters will be badly affected.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Small mixed accas (e.g. fourfolds e/w) from just a few venders:

11pl:
    Wyndham @401, Stricker@501, McDowell 301 days ago, now 250, and Oosthuizen@61

1stRL (7pl) typically double-ish the outright odds, and usually with <30sec live market feed advantage
    Berger@46, Xander@31, Fitz@51, M.Thompson@101.

w/o big6: Xander Schauffele@13 (jt/koepka/rahm/rory/bryson/dj), win only with novelty/politics markets.

Specials:
    Daniel Berger top 5 finish, Gary Woodland top 10 finish & Shane Lowry top 20 finish (Inc. ties) @126
    Rory McIlroy & Xander Schauffele finish 1st & 2nd in any order @91

Big wind coming around lunchtime so the late starters will be badly affected.

Yeah saw the forecast, doesn’t look nice for the later starts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

I’d be looking towards the big hitters here anyway. Seems to be just a driving golf course. 7200 yards isn’t that long but as a par 70 and in San Fran weather you will need to be a long hitter.

Hard not to see one of the top 20 in world and the betting not winning this.

I’d be looking at;
    Xander (good form, gets going in majors and is from torrey pines which people are comparing Harding Park to)

Brooks (it’s a major!!!))

Bryson (very obvious pick though with the course set up) hope he ain’t the winner anyway.

MoriKawa ( great ball striker, great form and local game for him)

Rahm ( Great driver of the Ball, won on torrey pines like example above and is obviously on form)

Rory just isn’t playing good enough for me to have confidence in him to do well. Obviously good course history so maybe that brings his form back.

FRL — Tony Finau and of course to then fall away

Corey connors and Jason day e/w

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Hard to figure (for me anyway) whats likely to happen in the PGA , many top players out of form and a bunch of young guns snapping at their heels so i put a tenner ew Chez Reavie,unexciting but can grind it out PP 10 PLACES 80/1.

In the English Championship,i was giving a squeak to Chris Paisly,only 28/1 7 places until i spotted that Paisly could be backed at 25/1 betting without Westwood,Horsfield,Paratore,Hojgaard,Fox and Detry 5 places.

That appeared better value so i had a tenner ew on Paisly and am hopeful rather than confident of a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

O/R Werenski 150-1
    Ancer 55-1
    An 100-1

FRL Ishikawa 250-1
    Sabbatini 125-1

All small ew bets

Small bets on couple of French men on European tour, Stalter and Rozner, 100/1 and 70/1. Stalter in good form since restart, Rozner played well last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭tinpib

tinpib wrote: »
    Small e/w for me too, well win and top 20 finish on BFX to be exact.

Billy Horschel 60 and Chez Reavie 170 have good 'course and distance' form at big prices.

From a relatively quick skim of the big boys Webb Simpson and Patrick Cantlay do well, roughly 26 each.

Got great value from Reavie last week, was right up there most of the way but I saw him miss a couple of short putts that would have had him in genuine contention, he was mostly 1 or 2 shots behind at best.

Anyway, onto this week. Xander is a popular pick but he is very short now. I haven't gone for any big, big prices this week, instead on BFX I've done win and top 20:

Cantlay 27 as his last 2 rounds were good,

Webb Simpson 32 who is consistent although he goes out in the windy afternoon

Daniel Berger 44 who every time I see him seems to putt great and is very consistent since the restart and

Woodland 65 who finished runner up to Rory here in 2015.

Advertisement