Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arma 3 Alpha (Beta, full game)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

CrinkElite wrote: »
    I built my own headtracking device out of a wiimote and a few LEDs...
    I kid you not, this works flawlessly.

Ill have to buy a webcam, i had a look at freetrack and tried to use my phone camera with it drunk one night, then forgot all about it.

Think ill go for this build.
    th_P1010001.JPG

:pac:

well, heres waht I actually came up with.
    €25 on IR LED's and Resistors etc, which is enough to make 2 more, a clothes hanger and a broken Microsoft VX-3000 (audio not working).

I have to say its soo smooth looking around in Arma II. Im am soo impressed with this easy setup. I burnt the crap outta my finger sodering but all in all 3-4 hours work. Amazing Results.

Its a bit rough, but for a first go it was not meant to look good.
    l7X2ncfl.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Nice job :)

You have to try it with a flight sim.

FSX has incredibly detailed interior cabins that just can't be experienced properly without 6 degrees of freedom.

edit/ I got tired of batteries so I wired an old phone charger to mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

I just flew around altis in a jet. Even going at around 600km/h it takes quite a while til you've covered the map.
    The submarines are funny to use, although its kinda scary in first person, cause you can't see much other than blue in the screen.

Looking in a north easterly direction(when located at the main airfield in the middle of the map) killed my fps, dropped from a steady 45 to 8. Anyone have the same problem?
    I hope to hell the final release goes a bit easier on fps, although I somehow doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

So Arma 3 supposed "Full release" is today, but where is the campaign? Still a bit annoyed with the lack of jets as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

simon360 wrote: »
    So Arma 3 supposed "Full release" is today, but where is the campaign? Still a bit annoyed with the lack of jets as well.

Campaign to follow.

Full game running really well on Ultra for me, Domination is superb with all its changes.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Campaign to follow.

I know its coming out in episode form but I would've thought the first one would be out at release.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

sent galelords a version of domination we working on.

join up with them and play the **** out of it.

post your bugs issues etc :) still a WIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

dreamers75 wrote: »
    sent galelords a version of domination we working on.

join up with them and play the **** out of it.

post your bugs issues etc :) still a WIP
    Sounds great, will definitely give this a go. I played the escape from Altis mission last night. With just 3 of us it was kind of difficult (and we decided to leave the AI behind) but the terrain up near the north west region is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Domi is great on Arma 3, great work.

If I could add a suggestion, with Artillery and the MLRS not to mention the CAS jets, it's all too tempting to pepper the AO with rounds to 'soften the enemy up'. Would it be possible to count the number of intact & destroyed building in the AO once the objective is complete? With that you could award an extra prize for minimum collateral damage.

Also, I can't find a regular lift chopper. Is there one?
    And (once added) would it be possible to load armour into a C130 type plane for rapid deployment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Laviski

havent got around to it yet.. this isnt the gits version as need some time to make it work.

but yeah will look into putting the same anti grief measures like i have on the arma 2domi server have.

now to just get the time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

The scandal!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Saw this on Reddit:
    http://youtu.be/cix07R1vlhI
    Thought it was pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Thinking of picking this up for Christmas for me and a mate.

What's it like performance wise now? He's running a Q6600 with 4gb ram and a 8800GTX.

Would that handle it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Had to bump this thread for my new Arma 3 video. Last night we tried out a few of the funnier missions/mods that can be got from the steam workshop. The best one we tried was a skatepark type mission. We had invulnerable cars & there were lots of jumps. Seeing as we are all a bunch of muppets, it got hilarious pretty quick! Enjoy!

Loads of class missions out there for this game now. Well worth another look if some of you have given up on it!

Cheers!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Tried some PvP Ambush missions with a gaming group called VTS the other night. Great fun!

Was having great fun on wasteland last night with a few friends, wasn't that laggy either. As Ktulu said up there it's worth a try going back on it if you stopped playing, think there was a few updates with tweaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Anyone playing Wasteland these days? Its gotten a lot better. I haven't tried Altis but Stratis is a lot of fun if you can find a good squad.

GaelLords have a popular Wasteland Stratis server that gets about 30-40 players during peak times. We also have a first-person only version that's not as popular but most of us think is a better experience overall. Just search for Gael in the server browser and hop on our TS (address is gaellords.com) if you have any questions.

Oh yeah, we support JSRS sound mod too which is a massive improvement over the standard Arma sounds and if you need help setting that up just hop on our TS.

I've played Dayz overwatch with the Gaellords guys a few times but every time I look at the wasteland server its got about 20 players, I can't play in the evenings much so its usually during the day. I should be around this weekend though.

• Advertisement

The GaelLords server restarts at 5am and 5pm every day so we do lose some people at 5pm but it's a balance between losing people and making sure that the evening sessions are running well for the bulk of our regulars. Server performance is one of the main reasons that people use our server but I wish more people tried JSRS as well. We generally peak at 30-40 players around 6pm-9pm: http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/78.46.47.195:2342/
    Oh yeah, 20 players is fine for Stratis too so don't be put off by that. 40 players can be a bit hectic on that small island which is why we'll probably never increase it beyond that.

The first person server is a lot quieter but has the same player and base-saving features.

We also have a Resistance server which is good fun where you start off with basic weapons and have to capture towns (kill all AI) to gain better loot. The Zeus mode is revealing how bad the AI can be in Arma 3 so I think there will be some big improvements with that aspect soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Alright lads,people still playing this?

Ive been playing so much Arma 2 i have not really had a chance to explore the multiplayer properly.

Im looking for what people think are the best multiplayer mission files,ive messed with king of the hill a bit and wasteland but i think wasteland is currently better in Arma 2. Not really sure what other game modes i should be looking at?

Also anybody tried the new Zeus mode?

I played wasteland a bit. I recently want back to Arma 2 though and in some ways it is better. Arma 3 looks a lot nicer and I prefer the feel of the guns but the maps are crap really. Stratis is boring and featureless and Altis is waaay too big for wasteland. Chernarus is far superior.

Stratis wasteland is still worth a try though. I tried playing king of the hill once but I didn't really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yeah Arma 3 looks great,i actually think 2 still does aswell. Still one of the best looking games on PC for me

Im struggling to get into wasteland on 3,the custom missions are just not doing it for me guess i just need to try the other ones and see how i get on. Im not a massive RP fan,i enjoy watching it the odd time on youtube for something different and appreciate it for what it is but going on a server and RPing a russian guy or whatever just isnt something i want to do and altis life seems to be dominating the server list.

I still havent tried the single player,is it good?

I haven't tried the single player either tbh. Apparently the campaign is ok. Altis life is ok but I'm not mad on RP either. Arma 3 battle royal mod looks interesting.

Arma 2 does look nice but have some of the graphics settings on arma 2 turned down so I can see people hiding in bushes and trees easier from a distance :p

We have 4 Arma 3 servers. Wasteland on Stratis, Altis and are currently testing a reduced area version of Altis we call smALTIS. We also have a Zeus server and are open to other game modes.

Wasteland isn't really RP, just hop on and find some people to team up with or jump on our TS if you want. Altis is working really well on our server now and looks amazing. As for Zeus, one of our guys is currently testing the Zeus gametypes on the server and getting a feel for what works and what doesnt so I expect a lot more of us will be playing that soon.

Search for GaelLords.com or just gael in the server browser.

Well the fps seems to have improved,(since 3 months ago roughly the last time i played) i had to take half of my 8gb memory out of the main pc for a vmware server and i managed to still play on Altis 30 man server really smooth.

Think it was a Zeus server that drew me back, i like the idea of Zeus, but you need someone creative being Zeus.

The old get to point A and blow up a truck gets boring. In time though as more people realize the potential im sure things will get more dynamic. Might even have a go at Zeus meself time allowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'm still playing Altis Life and still having fun. Getting 50-60fps too all on high with shadows.

Definitely improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

What exactly IS Wasteland? I wanna' kill people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

It's a type of gamemode where there are 3 factions (Blue Force, Red Force & Independents) and regardless of which faction you are, the name of the game is just to kill other players. Independents are not aligned to any faction other than themselves so if you want to go Solo or create your own team, Independent is the way to go. (Independents are hostile to other Independents!)

There are tons of drivable vehicles across the map which you can use, base parts to build bases and there are missions that become available every so often. For example you may get notification that a plane has crashed and contains cargo, every other player on the server see's this so you can decide to go claim it for yourself but other players may do so too which can lead to interesting gunfights. You can play it any way you want, you could get there first and wait in ambush for other players to get near the cargo and light 'em up. You're reward for claiming the cargo (or most of the missions) is high grade weapons, gear, clothing (e.g ghillie suits etc).

Alternatively, players have cash so if you kill players you can take their cash and use that cash to buy equipment at shops. You also need to eat and drink regularly so you will need to buy these or find them across the map.

Essentially Wasteland is a PvP gamemode, a good one at that, so it would suit you down to the ground.

Advertisement