Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

By-Election Confirmed for March 27th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The elephant in the room here is what happens with Miss Mc Entee if the pressure starts to build on her like supposedly happened with her father!

Surely if the pressure applied to her father caused such catastrophic consequences, she should be running a mile from politics!

I can't figure it out.

Just because her father took his own life due to pressures we are not fully aware of, does not mean that she herself would become victim to the same problem her father had.

I believe that Helen had always intended getting into politics. She was actively involved with her fathers campaigns, office work and studied politics, economics and law. She now wants to continue on the good work her father was known for in the constituency and step up to the mark as a young, energetic female candidate. Something this country badly needs - a step away from the old boys club that is still with us and injecting fresh young blood.

If anything, she will learn a lot from the passing of her father. I do believe it will stand to her and make her more determined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

raymon wrote: »
    Nigel Farage Ukip

Another guy that likes to tell the truth to the electorate (and not just the UK electorate, but the european electorate as a whole) on the most important matters. But it seems a bit coincidental, two people who are more interested in seeing honesty, transparency and accountability among politicians, whether it be our own government, or the european parliament, instead of looking on as the gravy train keeps rolling full steam ahead, seem to be both the subjects of a dirty smear campaign (in or to deflect from what's really going on), instead of being thanked for their words and actions. What does that tell us about the status quo.
    Then again, if you don't like someone, well you don't like them, thats free will. But, please don't think that the establishment trying to muzzle people like Nigel Farage or Ben Gilroy, and stop the truth from being told to all the citizens, is for our own good.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

darkhorse wrote: »
    ...seem to be both the subjects of a dirty smear campaign...
    Unless "smear campaign" has morphed its meaning to the point where it has become a synonym for "criticism", I've seen no evidence of such.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Sully wrote: »

Just because her father took his own life due to pressures we are not fully aware of, does not mean that she herself would become victim to the same problem her father had.

I believe that Helen had always intended getting into politics. She was actively involved with her fathers campaigns, office work and studied politics, economics and law. She now wants to continue on the good work her father was known for in the constituency and step up to the mark as a young, energetic female candidate. Something this country badly needs - a step away from the old boys club that is still with us and injecting fresh young blood.

If anything, she will learn a lot from the passing of her father. I do believe it will stand to her and make her more determined.
    She could barely string a sentence together on vincent browne during the week.

No matter what question she was asked she just kept repeating whatever she had oviously rehearsed before hand. From what I have heard from her she won't offer much.

This is fine gael playing for the sympathy vote, rather cynically. Its all that is wrong with irish politics.

Fianna fail tried the same thing when paidi o se died and the word going around kerry was that darragh o se was going to be running for them. Seems darragh has f****d that one up before it ever got going!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

After canvassing today, I am quite confident that Thomas Byrne will take the seat.

• Advertisement

After canvassing today, I am quite confident that Thomas Byrne will take the seat.
    Will thomas best friend and fianna fail hero bertie the liar ahern be launching the election campaign for him?

Great man to have around if you need a dig out!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

She could barely string a sentence together on vincent browne during the week.

No matter what question she was asked she just kept repeating whatever she had oviously rehearsed before hand. From what I have heard from her she won't offer much.

This is fine gael playing for the sympathy vote, rather cynically. Its all that is wrong with irish politics.

Fianna fail tried the same thing when paidi o se died and the word going around kerry was that darragh o se was going to be running for them. Seems darragh has f****d that one up before it ever got going!

I thought she did very well on Vincent Browne. The message on the canvass isn't "sympathy" in the slightest from either the canvassers or the electorate.

Whatever road she goes down politically, she will clearly offer a lot.

I canvassed for Helen, and I found the same. But I wouldn't bet money on it despite the positive (not sympathetic) reaction on the door. Its a tight race with some calling Helen to win but I think its very hard to call.

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Putting your question in large bold type doesn't make it any less a ridiculous question. It's irrelevant because the issue is that he thinks Farage is great and everyone should follow him, not why he does.

Having said that, I've looked further through his Tweets and I think you and Hijpo are being disingenuous about his support for Farage. Here he congratulates Farage on the UKIP's showing in the Corby by-election. Farage was not the candidate in that by-election. That's an endorsement of the UKIP, not just admiring Farage-the-man for being "truthful in his opinions".

I did not think it was relevant to the thread, but I also congratulated Nigel Farage on the position the party came in, in front of the Lib Dems. So, what is the issue here, really, Dan.
    I do not know Margot Parker, who was the candidate in the Corby by-election, thats why I congratulated Nigel, in his capacity as leader of the party. As regards your assertion of me being disingenuous about anyone's support for anyone else, I don't see it as within my remit to monitor the action's of everyone who want's to congratulate the UKIP, or any other party, for that matter.

Something this country badly needs - a step away from the old boys club that is still with us and injecting fresh young blood.

I agree with you, Sully. This country definitely does need a step away from the old boys club. To a lot of voters, though, part of the old boys club would have included keeping a dail seat in the family. I got the impression a couple of years ago that opposition parties (including fine gael) were actually against family dynasties.

I agree with you, Sully. This country definitely does need a step away from the old boys club. To a lot of voters, though, part of the old boys club would have included keeping a dail seat in the family. I got the impression a couple of years ago that opposition parties (including fine gael) were actually against family dynasties.

I see absolutely no problem with a person following in the footsteps of their parents. Its very common. Just because they are politicians, shouldn't impact on the situation (in the majority of cases). Shes more than qualified (more qualified than the majority of our TDs) to be in the Dail.

At the end of the day, if the Irish people don't want to vote for a family member taking over the seat they don't have to. Its not for us to say, but instead, the electorate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Millward Jones poll just out ( on Political World ) Labour down to 9$ !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I canvassed for Helen, and I found the same. But I wouldn't bet money on it despite the positive (not sympathetic) reaction on the door. Its a tight race with some calling Helen to win but I think its very hard to call.

What has surprised me in recent days is the amount of people saying that they will vote for Thomas because they see him as a strong candidate, and are not necessarily voting for him due to him being the FF candidate. His appeal seems to stretch beyond the FF vote alone. I think the fact that he has continued to grow his profile in the constituency, despite him failing to gain a seat in GE11, will greatly stand to him.

Also I get the feeling that the traditional FF voters are coming back. Those that had said during GE11 that they traditionally voted FF (and were embarrassed to admit it), but could not bring themselves to vote FF at that time, are firmly committing to voting for Byrne. I think the turnout could be an important factor. There are a lot of people who want to give the government a kicking, and I think they are far more likely to turn out than the sympathy vote is.

I am also surprised by the number of FG voters who are disillusioned with the party, and who have said they just wont bother voting. I have only come across one person who has said they will be voting Labour, and I have a funny feeling that the Labour result will be dire.

Maybe it was just the areas I was canvassing today, but I got a feeling that momentum was behind Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I see absolutely no problem with a person following in the footsteps of their parents. Its very common. Just because they are politicians, shouldn't impact on the situation (in the majority of cases). Shes more than qualified (more qualified than the majority of our TDs) to be in the Dail.

At the end of the day, if the Irish people don't want to vote for a family member taking over the seat they don't have to. Its not for us to say, but instead, the electorate.

Education in law, economics and jouranilsm doesnt mean she can implement her own beliefs and all because of the party whip. Its sad really, such a fascist system can hold back promissing politicians. Will any of them get rid of it though? Nah.

What has surprised me in recent days is the amount of people saying that they will vote for Thomas because they see him as a strong candidate, and are not necessarily voting for him due to him being the FF candidate. His appeal seems to stretch beyond the FF vote alone. I think the fact that he has continued to grow his profile in the constituency, despite him failing to gain a seat in GE11, will greatly stand to him.

Also I get the feeling that the traditional FF voters are coming back. Those that had said during GE11 that they traditionally voted FF (and were embarrassed to admit it), but could not bring themselves to vote FF at that time, are firmly committing to voting for Byrne. I think the turnout could be an important factor. There are a lot of people who want to give the government a kicking, and I think they are far more likely to turn out than the sympathy vote is.

I am also surprised by the number of FG voters who are disillusioned with the party, and who have said they just wont bother voting. I have only come across one person who has said they will be voting Labour, and I have a funny feeling that the Labour result will be dire.

Maybe it was just the areas I was canvassing today, but I got a feeling that momentum was behind Thomas.

Why would they vote for a member of a FF whos leader stood up in the dail and demanded that the tax payer deserved clarity and explanations as to how the rushed promissory deal would effect the people that will be made pay it all back, then went ahead and voted in favour of the rushed deal anyway. Idiotic, excuse for an opposition. 40 minutes to read a massive document over a couple of pints in a noisy bar and the majority of them voted in acceptance. I dont know how anyone can stand up and say these parties have any credibility or have concideration for the public.

Hijpo wrote: »
    Why would they vote for a member of a FF whos leader stood up in the dail and demanded that the tax payer deserved clarity and explanations as to how the rushed promissory deal would effect the people that will be made pay it all back, then went ahead and voted in favour of the rushed deal anyway. Idiotic, excuse for an opposition. 40 minutes to read a massive document over a couple of pints in a noisy bar and the majority of them voted in acceptance. I dont know how anyone can stand up and say these parties have any credibility or have concideration for the public.

One thing that is clear from knocking on the doors is that people are far more concerned about the future rather than continuing to focus solely on the past. That may not be comforting to all of us, but it is the reality.

One thing that is clear from knocking on the doors is that people are far more concerned about the future rather than continuing to focus solely on the past. That may not be comforting to all of us, but it is the reality.

Well if they were given a brief history lesson they will learn that this wasn't a once off with Fianna Fail but a regular occurence.

Education in law, economics and jouranilsm doesnt mean she can implement her own beliefs and all because of the party whip. Its sad really, such a fascist system can hold back promissing politicians. Will any of them get rid of it though? Nah.

Indeed but the same applies to Thomas and any other candidate. I hate the system as much as you do but its not a priority reform at the moment.

Fianna fail can say it as many times as they want, but we won't forget the past!

By the time the next general election comes around seanie fitz and the boys will be appearing in court. Telling us exactly how connected fianna fail were in the bankrupting of this country.

Bertie, biffo, micheal martin at the heart of it all.

Fianna fail can say it as many times as they want, but we won't forget the past!

By the time the next general election comes around seanie fitz and the boys will be appearing in court. Telling us exactly how connected fianna fail were in the bankrupting of this country.

Bertie, biffo, micheal martin at the heart of it all.

I am not saying that people will forget the past, I am merely saying that people will vote for those who are actually looking to the future and offering some sort of constructive alternative instead of voting for those who have nothing to offer but rhetoric about the past. That is what I am picking up on the doors anyways, and I suspect FG are too considering the fact that their latest electioneering leaflet is now seeking to address current issues which are affecting constituents rather than focusing heavily on past events - as their initial leaflets were focusing greatly on.

I have yet to have someone mention Bertie Ahern or Sean FitzPatrick to me on the doors.

However I have had plenty of people mention that they are not happy with the route that this government has chosen to take with the aim of achieving economic recovery. I was talking to a couple at a door today on that very topic. Both are members of An Garda Síochána, and are dismayed at the treatment they are receiving at the hands of this government. They were up front in admitting that they had a putrid hatred of FF following the economic crash, and that they could not see themselves ever even considering voting for FF again at the time of GE11. However, despite having to make large sacrifices under FF, they genuinely believe that FF was pursuing a fairer path to recovery. They outlined as to how they interpreted some sections of FG as being almost gleeful in the manner in which they are targeting them, just because they work in the public sector. And I think they are right. There are some TD's & Senators in FG who are almost watering at the mouth at the prospect of decimating those in the public sector (such as this group) - and are clamouring amongst themselves in wanting more and more cuts. It seems that they are simply pursuing their own idealogical agendas, and aren't all that concerned with the wider public good. FF were never happy implementing cuts, I am not so sure if I could say the same for all FG TD's. That section of FG is also getting their way, as is clearly demonstrated by the fact that Croke Park 1 was ripped up a year early despite it being on track.

Anyways, they wont be voting for FG and certainly wont be voting for Labour. They view Labour as having sold out on their core beliefs and wont be voting for them. They weren't particularly impressed with the performance of SF's Darren O'Rourke on Vincent Browne either, and while we didnt discuss SF much, I couldn't see them being too enthusiastic about voting for the party considering they are Gardai.

Anyways, they said they would vote for Thomas. Mainly due to liking his character, but also because they want an opposition TD. It was also mentioned that he is the only one who seems focused on sorting out the ****e we are stuck in, rather than continually trying to discuss the past. The leadership of Micheál Martin was also cited in a positive manner.

I am not saying that people will forget the past, I am merely saying that people will vote for those who are actually looking to the future and offering some sort of constructive alternative instead of voting for those who have nothing to offer but rhetoric about the past. That is what I am picking up on the doors anyways, and I suspect FG are too considering the fact that their latest electioneering leaflet is now seeking to address current issues which are affecting constituents rather than focusing heavily on past events - as their initial leaflets were focusing greatly on.

I have yet to have someone mention Bertie Ahern or Sean FitzPatrick to me on the doors.

However I have had plenty of people mention that they are not happy with the route that this government has chosen to take with the aim of achieving economic recovery. I was talking to a couple at a door today on that very topic. Both are members of An Garda Síochána, and are dismayed at the treatment they are receiving at the hands of this government. They were up front in admitting that they had a putrid hatred of FF following the economic crash, and that they could not see themselves ever even considering voting for FF again at the time of GE11. However, despite having to make large sacrifices under FF, they genuinely believe that FF was pursuing a fairer path to recovery. They outlined as to how they interpreted some sections of FG as being almost gleeful in the manner in which they are targeting them, just because they work in the public sector. And I think they are right. There are some TD's & Senators in FG who are almost watering at the mouth at the prospect of decimating those in the public sector - and are clamouring amongst themselves in wanting more and more cuts. It seems that they are simply pursuing their own idealogical agendas, and aren't all that concerned with the wider public good. FF were never happy implementing cuts, I am not so sure if I could say the same for all FG TD's. That section of FG is also getting their way, as is clearly demonstrated by the fact that Croke Park 1 was ripped up a year early despite it being on track.

Anyways, they wont be voting for FG and certainly wont be voting for Labour. They view Labour as having sold out on their core beliefs and wont be voting for them. They weren't particularly impressed with the performance of SF's Darren O'Rourke on Vincent Browne either, and while we didnt discuss SF much, I couldn't see them being too enthusiastic about voting for the party considering they are Gardai.

Anyways, they said they would vote for Thomas. Mainly due to liking his character, but also because they want an opposition TD. It was also mentioned that he is the only one who seems focused on sorting out the ****e we are stuck in, rather than continually trying to discuss the past. The leadership of Micheál Martin was also cited in a positive manner.
    My God I really hope it stays fine for you if you expect anyone to believe that!

• Advertisement

My God I really hope it stays fine for you if you expect anyone to believe that!

Meh, not too bothered if you don't believe me. I am not trying to win your vote, I spend enough time on actual doors doing that.

I am pretty confident though that on March 28th it will be you who is backtracking, and not me.

Indeed but the same applies to Thomas and any other candidate. I hate the system as much as you do but its not a priority reform at the moment.

It should be, its the only way TD's will get to express there true opinion and the right to recall should make sure they stick to there promises.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Another guy that likes to tell the truth to the electorate (and not just the UK electorate, but the european electorate as a whole) on the most important matters.

I suppose that excluding all the untruths Farage told, such as the leaflet sent to Irish households in the run-up to Lisbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Unless "smear campaign" has morphed its meaning to the point where it has become a synonym for "criticism", I've seen no evidence of such.

Yes, this coming from the person who asked me "How, in the name of God, is the truth irrelevant". So apparently the truth is important when darkhorse thinks it paints Ben Gilroy in a better light, but a smear campaign when he realises it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Oh my, it is now against Dandelions rules to congratulate someone that you admire because they didnt personaly win an election but there associates did.

Surely your running low on straws to grab now.

On the contrary, I think every candidate should congratulate people they admire. I think Gilroy should do more of it, it would help show the voters his true colours.

Yes, this coming from the person who asked me "How, in the name of God, is the truth irrelevant". So apparently the truth is important when darkhorse thinks it paints Ben Gilroy in a better light, but a smear campaign when he realises it doesn't.
    When your fianna fail truth is not in there vocabulary. As shown by fianna fail hero bertie the liar ahern.

On the contrary, I think every candidate should congratulate people they admire. I think Gilroy should do more of it, it would help show the voters his true colours.

Are you into sports? Are you telling me that you would condemn someone for congratulating a player they respect on an achievment simply because they are part of a different team in a different league?

lol thats lunacy.

Could you imagine who bertie would congratulate, or cowan, or noonan, or adams?
    They would all be told who to congratulate by the whip

I suppose that excluding all the untruths Farage told, such as the leaflet sent to Irish households in the run-up to Lisbon.

Well, to quote a very prominent Irish politician, "Isnt this the kind of thing you tend to do"?

Which untruths?

• Advertisement

No, I think the truth is important no matter who speaks it. But, its not enough just to tell the truth, you have to follow up on it, and be seen to be following up on it. Now, I would be equally be as critical of a political party, that say one thing in order to get elected, then as soon as their elected, do the very opposite, (that would be akin to giving the fingers to the very people who put them there), as I would be supportive to that party if they carry out their pre-election promises.
    As regards a smear campaign. I will be honest with you and say that anyone who will stand up and try and let the people of a nation know what is going on, and try and help people understand things like their rights under our constitution, and just general information that people have a right to know about, whether the person trying to help be Ben Gilroy, Stephen Donnelly, Gerry Adams, Peter Matthews, or whoever it may be, and others start to defame that person, generally by dragging their name through the mud, even by maybe calling that person a conspiracy theorist just for questioning their motives, I think things like that are a smear on that person.

Advertisement