Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭batistuta9

20 quid is aload of ****. People here saying its good value are deluded, either rich or being taken for a complete mug.

I got all this content FREE up until now. The only addition is the ****ty 3pm games, I dont know why people are jizzing themselves about that. Oh I cant wait its Stoke West Ham this Saturday, please take 20 quid of my money a month, its a bargain!
    Fools.

It looks good until you realise all of this content was free to Sky customers up until now. I cant see many getting rid of Sky Sports for BT/Setanta, not many will justify paying this additional cost. Its just one too far.

couldn't agree with this at all

getting the ESPN channels for free here was ridiculously good deal for Irish people, it really shouldn't have been free

ESPN showed 23 PL games, BT will show 38 & the 33 on Setanta making it 71 and you think that should be free?
    3 times the amount games. Not to mention the Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1, UFC, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

i think the main argument was that a lot of people were happy with ESPN as a bonus channel with skysports. Now they are not happy to have to pay 20euro to receive it along with Setanta and cant justify that extra 20euro no matter how much Setanta/BT try to promote what great games they have.

i think the main argument was that a lot of people were happy with ESPN as a bonus channel with skysports. Now they are not happy to have to pay 20euro to receive it along with Setanta and cant justify that extra 20euro no matter how much Setanta/BT try to promote what great games they have.

of course they were happy, it was free

everybody wants everything for free or as cheap as possible but you can't expect that to happen

for what you'd be getting, around 20 a month isn't that bad at all i think

on top of Sky, yeah it's expensive but I think it's a reasonable price for the pack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

R.F. wrote: »
    But I was getting them for free online via eircom sports hub anyway.

May yet continue for the Saturday 3pm's (RoI only for these games). As an Eircom customer I hope it does!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

What are you all talking about?

ESPN was paid for via UPC as part of the med/top tier subscriptions - they struck a deal with ESPN to have it available to most of their subscribers for x amount, which is factored into their normal subscription.

taking a small fee from everyone > large fee from few subscribers

Great business sense. It was never free, just a great deal for UPC's subscribers and UPC itself, certainly kept me with them as I didn't need to subscribe to Sky sports to get some sort of decent sports coverage.

Sky bundling it in with sky sports was smoke and mirrors - it was a reaction to it being available on UPC but also the fact they charge about €10 more here for Sky sports rather than UK.

Why anyone would argue the people who want it should pay €20 for it is nuts, if the provider can negotiate a much better deal for everyone concerned, and the channel is seen by a much wider audience.

This is, contrary to the negotiation of sports rights, actually competition working to the benefit of the consumer.

• Advertisement

are you saying the companies should do a deal & hike up the price of their packs, even for people who don't want it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

batistuta9 wrote: »
    are you saying the companies should do a deal & hike up the price of their packs, even for people who don't want it?

nope, they should do a deal and reduce their package....what was €30+ with Sky for the football is now €30+ Sky and €20+ Setanta :mad:
    That's not how breaking up a monopoly and forcing competition into the market is supposed to work...but of course the EU will not even look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

If i signed up for the present 1 year deal now available (i.e 169.90 per year) and they change their prices in July, could they then go back and charge me more?

https://secure.setantasubs.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The problem with sky though you can't get sports on its own. You need a basic pack, then extra for hd, extra now for setanta/espn/bt. Its over 100€ a month full stop. Horrific just for sports (mainly why people have pay tv for)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

jonseyblub wrote: »
    If i signed up for the present 1 year deal now available (i.e 169.90 per year) and they change their prices in July, could they then go back and charge me more?

https://secure.setantasubs.com/

For sure they will. Can't see Setanta being that charitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

snaps wrote: »
    The problem with sky though you can't get sports on its own. You need a basic pack, then extra for hd, extra now for setanta/espn/bt. Its over 100€ a month full stop. Horrific just for sports (mainly why people have pay tv for)

It should be illegal how they operate. Same goes for UPC too. If I want sports only then I should have the option of not having Entertainment channels I will never use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/27/sky-free-premier-league-match
    Free game on sky for 1st time ever....well that kinda answers my rhetorical q above about where is the competition!

"BT has emphasised its 15 "first pick" matches, but Sky still retains the upper hand because it can decide which weekends it has first choice on."

And that could mean that even if BT have 1st pick, it might only be on weekends when all the top teams play the bottom teams, rather than each other.
    I'm starting to see more reasons why I don't need to shell out the extra euros for Setanta

yes I have pointed out that at best BT will have 4 or 5 good games including manu v everton/spurs and mancity/liverpool at christmas along with arsenal/manutd in february as their top of the top games. all other games of that quality bar 1 or 2 will be on Sky still. in fact most games will be at the same level as ESPNs were last year if just a little better...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Will ESPN just show American Sports when the new Bt Sport channel launches?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

mikeym wrote: »
    Will ESPN just show American Sports when the new Bt Sport channel launches?

They will have a mixture of content from the current ESPN channels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

I hope Espn will show the 530pm bundesliga live games on saturdays and more live bundesliga games on espn

if not I will stick to the legal web streaming of the bundesliga live tv games through betting website, www.bet365.com

if its like before bt sports, setanta, espn will not interest me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

irishfeen wrote: »
    I wonder will the encrypted channels include Irish variations of BT 1/2/ESPN when they launch, if they do it could mean Setanta could clean up with advertisement revenue depending on the deal with BT..

Irish variations of BT are expected - not a penny of advertising revenue would be going to Setanta.

Wonder how long the arrangement is for ? and if BT come to the conclusion that their product is the mainstay of the 'Setanta Pack', will they walk away and go it alone once they are established ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

ftakeith wrote: »
    I hope Espn will show the 530pm bundesliga live games on saturdays and more live bundesliga games on espn

if not I will stick to the legal web streaming of the bundesliga live tv games through betting website, www.bet365.com

if its like before bt sports, setanta, espn will not interest me

I'm in the same boat. If their coverage of the Bundesliga is the same as ESPN's last year then I won't bother with it...
    The fact they have Rugby too is also very off putting

Is the rugby on BT Sport or ESPN? Bundesliga being shunted for rugby would be awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

lertsnim wrote: »
    Is the rugby on BT Sport or ESPN? Bundesliga being shunted for rugby would be awful.

It's on BT, ESPN finished their contract in May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭mike2084

I'm afraid BT Sport have exclusive Aviva Premiership Rugby & Top 14

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

I actually can't wait for it.. Means I get an excuse to have setanta and watch the NRL... Wouldn't get Setanta on its own..

mike2084 wrote: »
    I'm afraid BT Sport have exclusive Aviva Premiership Rugby & Top 14

That's a good thing. It leaves the Saturday 5.30 slot free for the Bundesliga on ESPN

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

That's a good thing. It leaves the Saturday 5.30 slot free for the Bundesliga on ESPN

I'll wait for the season to begin

I will be in germany to see 2 live games in munich and augsburg for the opening bundesliga weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

20 quid is aload of ****. People here saying its good value are deluded, either rich or being taken for a complete mug.

I got all this content FREE up until now. The only addition is the ****ty 3pm games, I dont know why people are jizzing themselves about that. Oh I cant wait its Stoke West Ham this Saturday, please take 20 quid of my money a month, its a bargain!
    Fools.

It looks good until you realise all of this content was free to Sky customers up until now. I cant see many getting rid of Sky Sports for BT/Setanta, not many will justify paying this additional cost. Its just one too far.
    For existing Setanta customers like me already paying €16.99 per month, this looks like fantastic value for money, I had resigned myself to paying an extra €15 to €25 for BT Sports, so this arrangement For existing Setanta customers like me will work out really well.

energy1942 wrote: »
    For existing Setanta customers like me already paying €16.99 per month, this looks like fantastic value for money, I had resigned myself to paying an extra €15 to €25 for BT Sports, so this arrangement For existing Setanta customers like me will work out really well.

energy are you one of the very few actually paying 16.99 a month as nearly everyone else seems to be getting it for halfprice or less. did you ever try cancelling and getting an offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

energy are you one of the very few actually paying 16.99 a month as nearly everyone else seems to be getting it for halfprice or less. did you ever try cancelling and getting an offer?
    Yes is the answer to that, however they have not charged me for the multiroom since 2009, and having had a phone conversation with them yesterday, this is likely to continue for loyal customers, however the point I was making means that the increase will be much lower than I would have been anticipating.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

IsMiseJoe wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. If their coverage of the Bundesliga is the same as ESPN's last year then I won't bother with it...
    The fact they have Rugby too is also very off putting
    the problem with Bundesliga coverage is that Bayern & Dortmund play alot of there games on Saturday's at 2pm
    the Premier League won't let them air them games live because of the 3pm rule
    also regarding the 20Euro fee wher was that confirmed?
    it says here that the price will be confirmed mid July http://www.setanta.com/ie/gamechanger

It's not the Premier League that blocks 3pm games in the UK. It's the FA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

So technically BT can show 2.30pm Bundesliga games on Saturday afternoon but only in the Republic.
    Very unlikely they will though...

Advertisement