Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

The channels are

Setanta Ireland
    Premier Sports (replacing Setanta 1)
    BT 1
    BT 2
    ESPN (only 1 channel, not separate ESPN and ESPN America/Classic as it is at the mo)

Just to be clear ESPN America & ESPN Classic are both closing at the end of July, which is why they are not included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Just to be clear ESPN America & ESPN Classic are both closing at the end of July, which is why they are not included.

True, although it is highly likely that stuff like baseball and NCAA sports will be on the new ESPN channel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭batistuta9

when people are talking about the televised fixtures being announced in July, do the just mean the fixtures for 2/3 months like normally is announced?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That's correct, it will just be the first tranche of TV fixtures.

Sky Sports at one point were giving an exact date the TV games would be announced but I can now only find "early July, 2-3 weeks after the fixture list is announced" at present - that would put it late next week or the following week. Last year they announced on 5th July fixtures till the end of November. Setanta normally announce theirs the day after the UK broadcasters - it might be different this year as there was some talk that the Premier League would be making the pick for European broadcasters and that it would be the same game across Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

True, although it is highly likely that stuff like baseball and NCAA sports will be on the new ESPN channel

I was on setanta.com last night and emailed them through their contact page to see if MLB would be available to viewers in Ireland and I received a swift response to say that it would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭batistuta9

icdg wrote: »

Sky Sports at one point were giving an exact date the TV games would be announced but I can now only find "early July, 2-3 weeks after the fixture list is announced" at present - that would put it late next week or the following week. Last year they announced on 5th July fixtures till the end of November. Setanta normally announce theirs the day after the UK broadcasters - it might be different this year as there was some talk that the Premier League would be making the pick for European broadcasters and that it would be the same game across Europe.

someone mentioned the 8th of july for the announcement on the thread i think, so maybe the extra few days is to sort out the 3pms in europe, but the only thing i heard about them was one game with english commentary, nothing about it being chosen by the PL

why were people mentioning it - the TV games - then, just so that you could put off the Setanta/BT sub for a bit?

& how can they know what games they'll show anyway, is the gameweek picks already decided - if you understand me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

BT SD opening on my Setanta card already on their encrypted channels on 28e.

That was fast...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Manc-Red wrote: »

That was fast...

Whilst scanning for the Wimbledon streams the other night I noted the addition of the BT Sports 1 & 2 HD channels F11585 H S27500 GI 2/3. No carrier there at the moment.

If Setanta were smart they would get ATR in their mini package. Now that would be a seller.

I presume you need to have a Sky box or its a no go!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

STB wrote: »
    If Setanta were smart they would get ATR in their mini package. Now that would be a seller.

Isn't ATR a Sky owned channel? I would say there is absolutely no chance of that ever appearing in a Setanta package.

They could try doing something with Racing UK I suppose. They were in the Setanta package before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

lertsnim wrote: »
    Isn't ATR a Sky owned channel? I would say there is absolutely no chance of that ever appearing in a Setanta package.

They could try doing something with Racing UK I suppose. They were in the Setanta package before.
    Yeah I think you are right about ATR, they are either part owned or have a close working relationship with bskyb.

• Advertisement

Yeah. Looked into it and Sky part own it with Arena Leisure plc

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

Boxnation have a press conference today at 1pm. I wonder could it be anything to do with earlier suggestions in this thread for the channel joining up with BT?

Or maybe they're launching a HD channel.

Or neither. .....I'll stop speculating now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

That was fast...

BT SD 1 & 2 are not encrypted at the moment - do you mean they are opening on the EPG ?

el flaco wrote: »
    Boxnation have a press conference today at 1pm. I wonder could it be anything to do with earlier suggestions in this thread for the channel joining up with BT?

Or maybe they're launching a HD channel.

Or neither. .....I'll stop speculating now.

HD channel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Infoanon wrote: »
    BT SD 1 & 2 are not encrypted at the moment - do you mean they are opening on the EPG ?

The frequency I'm viewing them on is 100% encrypted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

The frequency I'm viewing them on is 100% encrypted.
    I wonder will the encrypted channels include Irish variations of BT 1/2/ESPN when they launch, if they do it could mean Setanta could clean up with advertisement revenue depending on the deal with BT..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

icdg wrote: »

Sky Sports News mentioned 8th July which is a Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭afatbollix

ESPN will show all the american sports that ESPN america show at the moment. It will be owned by BT but ran under ESPN branding. It wont be showing football or anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

afatbollix wrote: »
    ESPN will show all the american sports that ESPN america show at the moment. It will be owned by BT but ran under ESPN branding. It wont be showing football or anything like that.

I don't think that's 100% true. Some of the contract that they had on ESPN UK they aren't allowed show on BT 1 or 2 for contractual reasons so they'll be on the new ESPN channel. Someone who doesn't have a head like a sieve will be able to say which ones as I can't remember but I think the FA cup might be one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I don't think that's 100% true. Some of the contract that they had on ESPN UK they aren't allowed show on BT 1 or 2 for contractual reasons so they'll be on the new ESPN channel. Someone who doesn't have a head like a sieve will be able to say which ones as I can't remember but I think the FA cup might be one.

That's the big one. They are contractually tied to showing it on ESPN - every reference to the competition is as "The FA Cup with Budweiser on ESPN" - sample here: http://www.btlife.bt.com/entertainment/bt-sport-to-be-free-with-bt-broadband/

There may be others, e.g the UEFA Europa League and continental football. The problem, y'see, is that apparently some of ESPN's contracts contained a clause either prohibiting ESPN from selling or subletting the rights, or that if ESPN UK were to go into liquidation, they would revert to the rights holder. That's why BT bought ESPN UK lock stock and barrell, so to speak, rather than merely purchase the contracts.

So while ESPN will certainly be the home of US sport, it will have to share time with European sports and the FA Cup in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

This bundle of channels is going to be a real mess in terms of content distribution. With US Sports for example Premier Sport shows the NHL and Nascar. ESPN currently have the NBA, College Football, College Basketball and Major League Baseball. Monday Night Football from the NFL could well end up on BT if you believe the talk.

Its a real mess all over the EPG but has a lot of stuff to it. Still not worth 20 extra on top of Sky. As part of UPC it would be a real winner for them but as a Sky subscriber we won't be as lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Setanta's website has been updated. http://www.setanta.com/ie/gamechanger

Another smidge of info here:http://www.btireland.ie/btsport.shtml

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭Frank Gallagher pissed

20 quid is aload of ****. People here saying its good value are deluded, either rich or being taken for a complete mug.

I got all this content FREE up until now. The only addition is the ****ty 3pm games, I dont know why people are jizzing themselves about that. Oh I cant wait its Stoke West Ham this Saturday, please take 20 quid of my money a month, its a bargain!
    Fools.

It looks good until you realise all of this content was free to Sky customers up until now. I cant see many getting rid of Sky Sports for BT/Setanta, not many will justify paying this additional cost. Its just one too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

20 quid is aload of ****. People here saying its good value are deluded, either rich or being taken for a complete mug.

I got all this content FREE up until now. The only addition is the ****ty 3pm games, I dont know why people are jizzing themselves about that. Oh I cant wait its Stoke West Ham this Saturday, please take 20 quid of my money a month, its a bargain!
    Fools.

It looks good until you realise all of this content was free to Sky customers up until now. I cant see many getting rid of Sky Sports for BT/Setanta, not many will justify paying this additional cost. Its just one too far.

Plus 1 Frank....it's more and more money year on year. So much for EU competition and splitting the rights up from Sky!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Im sure that one day it will get too expensive and people will cancel in mass. But at the moment, people are not cancelling so the EPL/Sky whoever can milk it as much as they can. But when the bubble does burst, I reckon it will big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I had forgotten that many people actually take both skysports channels and as a result they will loose all the ESPN content unless they fork out another 20euro. the only pity is that people wont cancel skysports en masse on the 1st august, (which I know wont happen) to even force sky to rethink their pricing in Ireland. Instead more will ring up and actually subscribe for the new season.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

As a Football and UFC fan I see myself with no other option.

The only positive for me it will have the 3pm games as well. But I was getting them for free online via eircom sports hub anyway.

I think I will cancel my movie pack to compensate.

Good value in my opinion for anyone without Sky Sports and a liking for sport that isn't exclusively the Premier League

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Box Nation costs 14 Euro a month
    20 Euro isnt too bad imo
    but they need to add Setanta in HD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I wonder will they charge an extra 5euro for the HD version as BT are charging £3 extra in the UK for the HD version of BT sport?

Advertisement