Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Pay tv on saorview will never happen. Sky and UPC have the pay tv market sewn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

snaps wrote: »
    Pay tv on saorview will never happen. Sky and UPC have the pay tv market sewn up.
    Yeah you are right, pay TV on Saorview will never work but I actually think Setanta needs a presence on all platforms FTA/FTV to showcase their rights portfolio, this would also enable them to bid for rights which under law need to be FTA like European Championships, World cups, olympics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

dricko_lim wrote: »
    Don't forget the an post gift card offer. Buy a €15 gift card and get three months free setanta.offer ends July 31st. I'm waiting to activate mine until then :D

Isn't that offer finished? No mention of it on www.anpost.ie in any case.

EDIT: Yeah - too late for people now: Buy a One4all Gift Card or a One4All Gift Voucher in participating Post Offices between May 1, 2013 and May 31, 2013 and get your Post Events Voucher

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

sorry thought it was still going!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bazzajf

€19.99 per month for the new Setanta/BT Link up is what people seem to be expecting.

On that basis, I am in. An extra €3 per month to have the new BT Channels, yes please.

Memo to Sky, you will be losing your 3 ESPN channels from your Sports package on August 1 on so reduce your f*ckin monthly price when you are announcing new charges next month or whenever please..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

bazzajf wrote: »
    €19.99 per month for the new Setanta/BT Link up is what people seem to be expecting.

On that basis, I am in. An extra €3 per month to have the new BT Channels, yes please.

Memo to Sky, you will be losing your 3 ESPN channels from your Sports package on August 1 on so reduce your f*ckin monthly price when you are announcing new charges next month or whenever please..

there will be no reduction. In fact Sky will counter that you will be getting more games than ever on Sky next year... they know that only a small percentage will actually cancel. In Newzealand Sky NZ has lost ALL premiership football from next year and said they will not be reducing their price dispite it being one of their main subscription drivers..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

20 quid. Not a hope I'm paying that. Now I'm not the biggest football fan to be fair but combined with Sky Sports. No way.

If there are around 600k sky subscribers in Ireland and 10% of them taking setanta is 60k x 20euro this gives Setanta an income of just over 14million a year from Sky.

So considering that Sky and ESPN paid around 80million sterling for the last 3 year deal, we can add on another 20millio at least to that making it 100million for 3 years this time round or 33million a year. (not confirmed just my theory).

now divide that between Sky and Setanta and it probably means Setantas/BT's irish rights are worth around 8 to 10 million a year so they need at least 50 to 60 thousand subscribers to make it viable and profitable at those rates excluding UPC/Eircom revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bazzajf

there will be no reduction. In fact Sky will counter that you will be getting more games than ever on Sky next year... they know that only a small percentage will actually cancel. In Newzealand Sky NZ has lost ALL premiership football from next year and said they will not be reducing their price dispite it being one of their main subscription drivers..

They are losing 3 channels from their sports package, it's not only about english football matches, it's about overall sports content, with their loss of the ESPN channels, Sky subscribers are losing French football, Italian football, German football, SPL games, FA Cup, American Sports - Baseball, Ice Hockey, NASCAR, College football etc., English club rugby, Europa League, International games, South American football, I could go on an on..

All this sports content (not to mention the ESPN Classic replay games) no longer available on Sky from Aug 1, it will be an affront to their customer base if they do not address this loss of content with some sort of gesture on pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pricewise987

€660 a year EXTRA to watch Live Footy

Irish people never get tired of being ripped off...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

€660 a year EXTRA to watch Live Footy

Irish people never get tired of being ripped off...:)

yes its to much now. A legit foreign sub is the way forward. So much out there apart from sky. You may have to forgo a few sports and English commentry on epl.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

themont85 wrote: »
    20 quid. Not a hope I'm paying that. Now I'm not the biggest football fan to be fair but combined with Sky Sports. No way.
    I have the full Sky Package and it costs me 94 euro a month unless Sky reduce their prices after the loss of the ESPN channels i won't be subscribing to Setanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

I have the full Sky Package and it costs me 94 euro a month unless Sky reduce their prices after the loss of the ESPN channels i won't be subscribing to Setanta.

You may also be losing some top pick games from your sky sports sub

The announcement of the televised games will be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭baboo800

Are setatnta going to be offering BT 1,BT 2,setanta Ireland ,setanta 1,espn ,espn America,espn all for €20 a month or have I read it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If there are around 600k sky subscribers in Ireland and 10% of them taking setanta is 60k x 20euro this gives Setanta an income of just over 14million a year from Sky.
    How did you figure that out?

Edit/ never mind. Thought you meant Sky was paying them money

baboo800 wrote: »
    Are setatnta going to be offering BT 1,BT 2,setanta Ireland ,setanta 1,espn ,espn America,espn all for €20 a month or have I read it wrong

thats the anticipated price but full pricing to be announced in July, probably when BT's actual games are finalised to see how much they can fleece you for....

thats the anticipated price but full pricing to be announced in July, probably when BT's actual games are finalised to see how much they can fleece you for....

That's a hell of a deal even for €30

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

keith_d99 wrote: »
    You may also be losing some top pick games from your sky sports sub

The announcement of the televised games will be interesting
    Going to loose the FA Cup with the loss of ESPN unless the BBC or ITV fork out for the FA Cup rights. I know the BBC and ITV have put in a bid for the rights so fingers crossed. :eek:

Going to loose the FA Cup with the loss of ESPN unless the BBC or ITV fork out for the FA Cup rights. I know the BBC and ITV have put in a bid for the rights so fingers crossed. :eek:

Did setanta not show some games last season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Did setanta not show some games last season

No FA Cup games on Setanta last season

• Advertisement

Setanta Ireland stays. Setanta 1 will be rebranded to Premier Sports.

ESPN America is going to be closed down - some of its content will be available on ESPN. ESPN Classic is gone.

It's as clear as mud as to what amount of US sport precisely will be available.

What isn't clear is will there be an extra charge for the HD flavours of the channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The channels are

Setanta Ireland
    Premier Sports (replacing Setanta 1)
    BT 1
    BT 2
    ESPN (only 1 channel, not separate ESPN and ESPN America/Classic as it is at the mo)

The channels are

Setanta Ireland
    BT 1
    BT 2
    ESPN (only 1 channel, not separate ESPN and ESPN America/Classic as it is at the mo)

Thanks your answer is a lot clearer than the articles I have read

The channels are

Setanta Ireland
    BT 1
    BT 2
    Possibly Box Nation too from reports in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

from gareth A davies daily telegraph

Irish fans to gain access to all UFC events through BT Sport-Setanta deal
    By Gareth A Davies Boxing and MMA Last updated: June 25th, 2013
    Comment on this Comment on this article
    Setanta Sports have announced that they will carry all three BT Sport channels in ROI, meaning fans in ROI will be able to see all UFC programming via Setanta Sports.
    Garry Cook, Executive Vice President and Managing Director of the UFC across Europe, Middle East and Africa, explained:
    “Since announcing the strategic partnership with BT Sport we are continuing our commitment to deliver the same premium quality broadcasting to our vast and growing fan base in the Republic of Ireland through Setanta Sports. We are delighted that all UFC programming, including live events and a weekly features show, will be available to increase both the brand’s exposure to a more mainstream sporting audience and help promote more understanding of the sport.
    “As the UFC continues to grow worldwide, the Republic of Ireland has long been identified as a key market for us. UFC athletes are some of the most elite in the world and there is such strong talent emerging to represent Ireland, such as Conor McGregor, that we are sure that the popularity of the sport will continue to grow, complemented with this partnership with Setanta Sports and BT Sport.”

irishfeen wrote: »
    Possibly Box Nation too from reports in the UK.

Setanta have made no announcement in this regard. We can speculate all we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 connieraw

How much do people think they will charge per month. Would be interested but not getting tropes either for it

I think according to one article it will be 19.99 a month with discounts for an annual pass.

Whatever price Setanta/BT/ESPN will end up, will everyone please who are thinking of subscribing in future ring a week before hand and tell them you would have subscribed but for the poor picture quality of Setanta compared with Sky and RTE Two HD ... after a week subscribe as normal but its time for a HD channel now and time to put the pressure on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Setanta Ireland stays. Setanta 1 will be rebranded to Premier Sports.

ESPN America is going to be closed down - some of its content will be available on ESPN. ESPN Classic is gone.

It's as clear as mud as to what amount of US sport precisely will be available.

What isn't clear is will there be an extra charge for the HD flavours of the channels.

There doesn't seem to be any interest in US sport probably going to be regulated to late night filler. It's sad that ESPN America will be gone.

Advertisement